UConn Assist Record - Nika | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Assist Record - Nika

Reaction Score
Agreed. But it seems Sarge, @MSGRET doesn't agree with me. Yet, for me, the highlight pass, though a wonderful thing to see has to be weighed, as a PG, against situational awareness. With ball, a lead, and 27 secs on the clock, the prudent play was to pull off and play for the last shot. It also seemed by Geno's screams (added to mine) he agreed with me.
Geno definitely agreed with you. I don't know if you could see it on TV, but I watched her face as he was yelling at her. It was pure Nika. It was like "Give me a break once in a while, Jeez".

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Loved reading through these last dozen or so posts, the depth of the analysis/discussion contrasted with the posts in early 'Nika chains' kind of parallels the evolution of Nika's game from freshman year through the present. She has grown way beyond 'the energy guy' that she envisioned herself as when she first arrived, to be a very focused, controlled leader. As Geno has stated, containing her explosiveness is totally against her very nature. She came to Uconn, self professing that she was a work in progress, an observation which she has continually repeated. It's not just talk, she choose the challenge of joining this team, facing off with possibly the best player of her generation in practice and being challenged by who she respects as being the greatest basketball coach in the women's game. She came to challenge herself to become the best player she can be and ready to put in the work.

Her maturity and focus coming out of this offseason has been a huge leap from the kid who left last spring. She said early in the summer session that it was time to grow up and she intended to reflect that when the season began. That happened in spades. She is still hungry and committed to grow her game and I am so grateful to be along for the ride. Loving, enjoying it along the way and can't wait to see where it takes her. As Geno said about Aaliyah and Nika early their freshman year 'there are kids who play basketball, and there are basketball players - these guys are basketball players'. He got that right!

Love this picture, there's a lot going on in that young woman's head View attachment 83187 View attachment 83187
I agree this has been one of the better Muhl threads, with both rational praise and “things to do better.”

First, allow me to apologize for seldom liking even well deserving posts. I come on the BY for quick hits during my 24/7 caregiver gig and I often don’t take even the paltry amount of time to do that small task.

The Muhl “controversy” mirrors some of the past, such as Nurse v Chong or Samuelson v Collier. In these cases one or both players will get glowing endorsements, which leads to reactive criticisms and sides take shape, going against the grain of what fandom ought to be.

In Muhl’s case her intangibles were off the charts, which endeared herself to one set of fans, who in their glowing assessments irritated those who observed flaws in her tangibles. The gauntlet was cast down!

I’ve acknowledged flaws with the tangibles as well, the most obvious being she hesitates to shoot, but this to large degree results from her training. Perhaps more than any other PG we ever landed, Muhl was purely trained as a point guard. Her decision making reflects this; her execution reflects this. This was evident from her Croatia videos and I remarked before they played their first games that we may have something like Rizzotti (Muhl) and Taurasi (Bueckers) coming on board.

Unfortunately, this thread may prove to be an anomaly, as I see elsewhere reference to Muhl “intentional fouling” to be undeserving of awards. Ouch! It’s like she’s kicked someone’s dog. Sigh. It comes with the territory. For example, there’s a certain kid from Hopkins who will get an automatic thumbs down from a certain poster anytime her name is brought up out of context, sometimes even in context.

I understand the impulse to caution against too much hero worship, I even endorse it. Nomadic hunter societies would criticize when a hunter brought home an impressive kill (“meat is too tough”, etc). Humility is the foundation that makes small band societies work.

You will not find any arrogance on a UConn squad. Maybe that’s my point. These players do not need fans to keep them humble on these message boards with destructive criticisms; a beautiful aspect of the UConn way is how they do this on their own.

Damn! I’ve been woefully neglect and need to get back to m6 caregiving gig. Sometimes I can’t help myself.

Reaction Score
I think one interesting question for this year is can a player who scores so infrequently make an All Conference Team? Generally the answer would usually be no, but Nika presents a very interesting case. Nika was rewarded with the conference defensive player of the year last year. Was she the best defensive player in the conference? I don't know, but I believe she is very good, and the all-out effort and hustle on that end was rewarded as a trait many observers and coaches wish more players had.

This year we have seen Nika's passing rise to new heights. If you lead not just the conference, but the country in assists, can you be denied an All Conference Team spot? Even more so if you were also picked as the Defensive Player of the year in the conference the previous year.

Nika has obvious scoring limitations and some flaws to go with the assets, but in many ways, she is Exhibit A for how much of a contribution a non-scorer can make, or how good an unselfish, hustling, exceptional role player type can be. Does she deserve an All Conference spot over a player that say leads her team in scoring, does it efficiently, but otherwise doesn't stand out in any particular way?

I really don't know, but I think many coaches are used to recruiting players that were all big-time scorers in HS. They then have to convince them that there is a lot more to basketball than scoring points. They need to hustle all the time, play defense, share the ball, set picks, box out for rebounds etc. Sometimes that is a hard sell to a player who is used to being a star.

Rewarding a player like Nika with the All Conference Team selection would be a way to emphasize the importance of those traits and qualities in a world where scoring might get a little more attention than it deserves IMO.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For some clarity on the post by @awhom111 that listed the averages Nika needs to assume prominence on either the UConn single season Assist leader board or the NCAA All-time single season leader board.

As stated, Sue Bird holds the current single season record of 231 Assists. As of today, in 17 games, Nika has 154 or 9.06 APG. To break Sue's record (231-154)/9.06=8.5 games. In theory she would break the record in the Creighton game at home on Feb 15 if she keeps up her current pace.

The "National Leaderboard" record is 367, followed by 355; 338; 322 and 321 to round out the top 5 all-time. Realistically, there are 13 regular season games left, a probable 3 BET games and then 4/5/6 NCAAT games. That means she has anywhere from 16 guaranteed games to 22 maximum games.
If UConn plays to the NCAA Final (22 games) and Nika keeps her 9.06 average, she will finish with 353 assists-#3 All-time!
21 games= 344 assists, still #3
20 games=335 assists, #4
19 games=326 assists, still #4

So my best guess is Nika has a real shot at #3 all-time, if CD and Azzi can come back to drain shots, she could vie for #2 and a very outside chance at the 367 that Courtney Vandersloot achieved in 36 games. She would need to average 9.69 assists per game to get the additional 114 assists plus her 154 for 368 assists.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
My own post got me thinking about the Conference record. Lauren Park Lane set the record last year with 152 assists. Nika in 9 games has exactly half, 76 assists, averaging 8.44 APG. With 11 games to go, she can own the conference record.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Another sidebar of Assist discussion is UConn has 199 assists in 9 games and is averaging 22.11 per games. The Big East single season team record is Creighton of 434 set last year, which UConn can beat with 442 if they continue to average 22.1 assists for the remaining 11 games.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Nika Mühl is on track to far surpass Sue Bird’s UConn WBB record of 231 assists in a single season before the NCAA tournament even begins.

Sue Bird in 2001-02 recorded 231 assists and 93 turnovers for 2.48 assist/TO ratio.
Nika this season has 154 assists 58 turnovers for 2.66 assist/turnover ratio.
I’m not saying Nika is better or worse. Just showing that for the amount of assists that Nika dishes out, her assist/turnover ratio is also pretty darn good. Not sure how many minutes Sue played vs. Nika.

Nika has 154 Assists with 13 games left in the regular season (if she can keep up her average of (currently 9.3)) will come out to 274 (totally obliterating Sue Bird's (Ironically #10) 231.

Disclaimer: This information was found on Facebook, it is NOT original.
Sue played 1168 minutes in 2001-2, .1978 assists per minute played.

So far, Nika's played 598 minutes, .2575 assists per minute.

But Sue had Diana at her side, with 203 assists in 1131 minutes, for .1795 per minute.
Sue and Diana's team had 846 assists in 7800 minutes, a 1.084 rate.

Nika doesn't have anyone else with a high number of assists. Ines' rate is second highest at .1194 per minute.
Nika's team has 381 assists in 3600 minutes for a .1058 rate.

Both teams shot ~52% to date, and shot ~40.5% on 3s.

Reaction Score

But Sue had Diana at her side, with 203 assists in 1131 minutes, for .1795 per minute.

Nika doesn't have anyone else with a high number of assists. Ines' rate is second highest at .1194 per minute.

Sounds like a Ruth / Maris controversy brewing :p;)
Not being learned on emoji communications, let me add, just kidding, good stuff!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

OTOH, Dorka and Aaliyah are both on a pace to have over 100 assists.

Don't forget that Nika has been working with a revolving door of lineups, while the 01-02 team was pretty consistent. The revolving lineup is a two-edged sword, because Nika's been the only consistent point guard, but she's had to find a variety of different players who all have slightly different tendencies.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I like what @Bigboote added here as this team, of course led by Nika does a really good job of passing across the floor as they average a little over 21 assists per game and this current pace would place them 6th on UConn’s all-time list as they could finish with 825ish. The top team was 2016-17 (year after Stewie) With 868. Good job all around I would say!

Reaction Score
For some clarity on the post by @awhom111 that listed the averages Nika needs to assume prominence on either the UConn single season Assist leader board or the NCAA All-time single season leader board.

As stated, Sue Bird holds the current single season record of 231 Assists. As of today, in 17 games, Nika has 154 or 9.06 APG. To break Sue's record (231-154)/9.06=8.5 games. In theory she would break the record in the Creighton game at home on Feb 15 if she keeps up her current pace.

The "National Leaderboard" record is 367, followed by 355; 338; 322 and 321 to round out the top 5 all-time. Realistically, there are 13 regular season games left, a probable 3 BET games and then 4/5/6 NCAAT games. That means she has anywhere from 16 guaranteed games to 22 maximum games.
If UConn plays to the NCAA Final (22 games) and Nika keeps her 9.06 average, she will finish with 353 assists-#3 All-time!
21 games= 344 assists, still #3
20 games=335 assists, #4
19 games=326 assists, still #4

So my best guess is Nika has a real shot at #3 all-time, if CD and Azzi can come back to drain shots, she could vie for #2 and a very outside chance at the 367 that Courtney Vandersloot achieved in 36 games. She would need to average 9.69 assists per game to get the additional 114 assists plus her 154 for 368 assists.
Thanks for pointing out that I did not explain enough. I usually create these charts at the start of the season so I am more used to calculating from that perspective.

At her current season average, it would take 9 games to set the UConn record and 24 games to set the NCAA record, which is obviously more than the possible number of games. Here are the averages needed in remaining games needed to get the 75 assists for the UConn record and 211 assists for the NCAA record:
Games PlayedUConn RecordNCAA Record
15​
5.0​
14.1​
16​
4.7​
13.2​
17​
4.4​
12.4​
18​
4.2​
11.7​
19​
3.9​
11.1​
20​
3.8​
10.6​
21​
3.6​
10.0​

Reaction Score
65 away from the UConn record and 201 from the NCAA Record, which would still be beyond her current pace. 8 games to set the UConn record at her current season average. Averages for future games needed depending on the number of games played:

15​
4.3​
13.4​
16​
4.1​
12.6​
17​
3.8​
11.8​
18​
3.6​
11.2​
19​
3.4​
10.6​
20​
3.3​
10.1​

Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is kind of confusing. So, the 2020 NCAA Tournament was canceled due to Covid. But UConn did get to win the Big East Tournament. Did UConn have anyone graduate in 2020? IIRC, Dawn Staley declared SC the unofficial NC, and that was Boston's freshman year.
2020-21 was Paige, Nika and Aaliyah freshman year. Paige won every NPOY award that she was eligible for. But that year, there were no fans allowed at the games, so the NCAA decided to give the athletes an extra year of eligibility.

For all players who decide to take that extra year, career records deserve an asterisk. For example, I believe Dorka is playing her fifth season, so her 1000 rebounds came in her fifth season. Caitlin Clarke may break the career scoring record in four years. If she decides to play a fifth year, she may set an unattainable career scoring record.

Historically speaking, in 1961, the American League expanded from 154 to 162 games, and from 8 to 10 teams, thus weakening each teams pitching staff. That is why they initially had an asterisk next to Roger Maris' 61 home runs, the last homer hit in the 162nd game. So much for the history lesson.
UConn had No graduates in 20-21

Reaction Score
Nika Mühl is on track to far surpass Sue Bird’s UConn WBB record of 231 assists in a single season before the NCAA tournament even begins.

Sue Bird in 2001-02 recorded 231 assists and 93 turnovers for 2.48 assist/TO ratio.
Nika this season has 154 assists 58 turnovers for 2.66 assist/turnover ratio.
I’m not saying Nika is better or worse. Just showing that for the amount of assists that Nika dishes out, her assist/turnover ratio is also pretty darn good. Not sure how many minutes Sue played vs. Nika.

Nika has 154 Assists with 13 games left in the regular season (if she can keep up her average of (currently 9.3)) will come out to 274 (totally obliterating Sue Bird's (Ironically #10) 231.

Disclaimer: This information was found on Facebook, it is NOT original.
I know one thing and that's that Nika is a very dynamic player and so very passionate .... I think the fact that people would try and compare her to Sue is a disservice to both her and Sue ... let's just say that they've both contributed wonderfully to making their respective teams so much better and have helped continue to make UConn women's basketball at the top of women's basketball

Reaction Score
It is not a safe bet at all. She has to play defense and for as high a ranking of a recruit she is, she's having to learn a new system AND battle Ines for playing time initially. Given the depth of the back court, I think her time will be limited. A starting point for comparison would be Moriah Jefferson, who backed up Briana Hartley her freshman year and only had 17 min per game and 69 assists on the whole season. Given that Moriah was the only backup, I don't even think KK will come close to average that many minutes but it shows Geno may be willing to see what she can do IF she can play defense (which Moriah clearly could do).
Never say never because Maya came in and had a fantastic freshman year and I think she actually made All-American, as a freshman, didn't she???? I agree, it's not very likely but wouldn't that be nice if she was that good, that poised, that she was able to be a big contributor as a freshman?????

Reaction Score
Loved reading through these last dozen or so posts, the depth of the analysis/discussion contrasted with the posts in early 'Nika chains' kind of parallels the evolution of Nika's game from freshman year through the present. She has grown way beyond 'the energy guy' that she envisioned herself as when she first arrived, to be a very focused, controlled leader. As Geno has stated, containing her explosiveness is totally against her very nature. She came to Uconn, self professing that she was a work in progress, an observation which she has continually repeated. It's not just talk, she choose the challenge of joining this team, facing off with possibly the best player of her generation in practice and being challenged by who she respects as being the greatest basketball coach in the women's game. She came to challenge herself to become the best player she can be and ready to put in the work.

Her maturity and focus coming out of this offseason has been a huge leap from the kid who left last spring. She said early in the summer session that it was time to grow up and she intended to reflect that when the season began. That happened in spades. She is still hungry and committed to grow her game and I am so grateful to be along for the ride. Loving, enjoying it along the way and can't wait to see where it takes her. As Geno said about Aaliyah and Nika early their freshman year 'there are kids who play basketball, and there are basketball players - these guys are basketball players'. He got that right!

Love this picture, there's a lot going on in that young woman's head View attachment 83187 View attachment 83187
Isn't it amazing to see kids come in and evolve like she has???? It reminds us of the fact that there are so many talented kids out there who come into a program and never get better because of the arrogance that they've developed from being labeled so early, that they are the next best, instead of continuing to challenge themselves by going somewhere where they'll continue to challenge themselves, as Geno makes everyone coming to Storrs do ....

Reaction Score
Not to spoil the party but I could swear Nika was chewing gum at the beginning of the game. Saw it on the replay. Are Geno and Chris gone soft or what!!!!

Shea Ralph chewed gum every game of her college career, did she not?

Reaction Score
I really needed the practice on chart-making because I was definitely messing up on the rows that I needed. 51 away from the school record means 6 games at her current season average. 187 for the NCAA record would still be out of reach at her current pace.

Here is the chart for averages over the possible remaining game numbers to break each record:
12​
4.3​
15.6​
13​
3.9​
14.4​
14​
3.6​
13.4​
15​
3.4​
12.5​
16​
3.2​
11.7​
17​
3.0​
11.0​
18​
2.8​
10.4​
19​
2.7​
9.8​

Reaction Score
3 assists changes the pacing. At her current season average, it would take 6 games to get the 48 assists needed to break the school record.

Updated chart for average needed over remaining games depending on how many games that is:
11​
4.4​
16.7​
12​
4.0​
15.3​
13​
3.7​
14.2​
14​
3.4​