UConn Assist Record - Nika | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Assist Record - Nika

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And it's a safe bet that Geno will give KK some playing time, trusting she's anywhere close to her credentials as a player, in order to prep her for '24-25. Her PT will come from Nika's.
It is not a safe bet at all. She has to play defense and for as high a ranking of a recruit she is, she's having to learn a new system AND battle Ines for playing time initially. Given the depth of the back court, I think her time will be limited. A starting point for comparison would be Moriah Jefferson, who backed up Briana Hartley her freshman year and only had 17 min per game and 69 assists on the whole season. Given that Moriah was the only backup, I don't even think KK will come close to average that many minutes but it shows Geno may be willing to see what she can do IF she can play defense (which Moriah clearly could do).

Reaction Score
Gee. Something I've see saying for 2 years now. So much so that I made a post saying that I was, and still am, so tired of saying it that I felt as if I was whining. It's refreshing to hear someone else, aside from the nearly departed and highly missed @CocoHusky, say it. Although my complaint was that she was a poor finisher from either side of the hoop. She has certainly strengthened that right side though.
If you watched last night, that inside cut on the right with the fake hand off and perfect finish was a thing of beauty. She is going to get there. One more summer. Whatever she and Aaliyah did over last summer is a must do for Ay and Amari this summer.

Reaction Score
Wrong. She began in 2020-2021. Her, Aaliyah and Paige are all eligible for a Covid year.
Thank you. You're absolutely correct. Even though Covid hit in March 2020 they gave the extra year for 2020-2021 because it was substantially impacted. Nika for 2 more years? No one will be safe.

Reaction Score
It is not a safe bet at all. She has to play defense and for as high a ranking of a recruit she is, she's having to learn a new system AND battle Ines for playing time initially. Given the depth of the back court, I think her time will be limited. A starting point for comparison would be Moriah Jefferson, who backed up Briana Hartley her freshman year and only had 17 min per game and 69 assists on the whole season. Given that Moriah was the only backup, I don't even think KK will come close to average that many minutes but it shows Geno may be willing to see what she can do IF she can play defense (which Moriah clearly could do).
As I said, 'DefenseBB, 'some playing time.' I'd be really surprised if it even approaches 17 minutes per, but that's not what I had said.

Reaction Score
One thing I’ve been noticing for the first time is how often Muhl uses screeners bringing the ball up to half court. This is not an unusual tactic, except that Muhl often seems to anticipate rather than react to the potential for a screen.

On a related note, I don’t think I’ve seen one post player almost nonchalantly jog up the floor in Muhl’s vicinity, rather than race down like a transition team ought to, as often as it happens this year.
That's right she uses the moving screen bringing it up much as is done in the NBA when she is not pushing or out on the break. Very smart. Why would you trot up the court when Nika has the ball in transition? If you are open for a nanosecond she will find you. Actually the pass at the end of the first quarter that got her yelled at by Geno was as good as you will ever see except that Aaliyah did not anticipate it one step before. It threaded the needle between defenders.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If you watched last night, that inside cut on the right with the fake hand off and perfect finish was a thing of beauty. She is going to get there. One more summer. Whatever she and Aaliyah did over last summer is a must do for Ay and Amari this summer.
That fake hand off, a variation off the 23 keep, is a UConn staple. My complaint in her freshman year was that she didn't shoot a single pull up, in her sophomore year it was rare, and I harped on it. No matter how open she'd dribble off or pass. I noted then as I'll note now, pull ups are a tough skill to learn, and a player just can't find competency at it in just two years. I said then that perhaps in her senior year she'd have some effectiveness at it, but, as then, I don't think she'll be a pull up dead eye at the college level. If she works at it IMO, perhaps at the next level.

Reaction Score
It is an interesting season this year as Uconn typically does not have a single player averaging more than about 5 assists per game while also usually being at the top of the assist tables as a team. Not sure exactly why Nika is dominating the team in assists as the other players are also passing well and it doesn't feel like the offense is significantly different from previous years.

Uconn has had a lot of really good point guards, but they have never led the nation individually in assists and their career assist numbers are outside the top 25 probably outside the top 50 and maybe not even in the top 100.
I get the mystery but a lot of those assists are on 3 point or other outside shots or in transition or off her bounce. She has become a great passer and there are 3 players around her, Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah that are burying outside shots. Last night was sick. Those rims were tight but it doesn't matter for a swish. She looks up court right away and always finds the open player. Her timing with Aubrey last night was unbelievable. She got her the ball the second she was open and it felt like Aubrey was going to dunk one.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That's right she uses the moving screen bringing it up much as is done in the NBA when she is not pushing or out on the break. Very smart. Why would you trot up the court when Nika has the ball in transition? If you are open for a nanosecond she will find you. Actually the pass at the end of the first quarter that got her yelled at by Geno was as good as you will ever see except that Aaliyah did not anticipate it one step before. It threaded the needle between defenders.
The problem with that pass was its dependency on two things. 1) Aliyah recognizing the fade and continuing toward the hoop and 2) Aliyah's ability to control the hard and low pass for the basket. Low passes are anathema for bigs. The real issue though was Nika's poor situational awareness. With so little on the clock the real play was to pull up, use the clock, and make a better percentage pass for a better percentage shot.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It is an interesting season this year as Uconn typically does not have a single player averaging more than about 5 assists per game while also usually being at the top of the assist tables as a team. Not sure exactly why Nika is dominating the team in assists as the other players are also passing well and it doesn't feel like the offense is significantly different from previous years.

Uconn has had a lot of really good point guards, but they have never led the nation individually in assists and their career assist numbers are outside the top 25 probably outside the top 50 and maybe not even in the top 100.
Good to see you check in.

Reaction Score
That fake hand off, a variation off the 23 keep, is a UConn staple. My complaint in her freshman year was that she didn't shoot a single pull up, in her sophomore year it was rare, and I harped on it. No matter how open she'd dribble off or pass. I noted then as I'll note now, pull ups are a tough skill to learn, and a player just can't find competency at it in just two years. I said then that perhaps in her senior year she'd have some effectiveness at it, but, as then, I don't think she'll be a pull up dead eye at the college level. If she works at it IMO, perhaps at the next level.
You obviously have played the game a lot. Her pull up is not a pure jumper right now, and that is the problem. She releases it on her way up, not at the top of her jump or on the way down so it is not controllable. It is also not purely vertical as in the Big O or Russell Westbrook or Azzi or even Lou. She needs to be taught it and then shoot it a 1000 times. If she gets one, she will be an unstoppable PG because her energy and speed are tremendous and she can get into the lane when she wants to. However, right now, she is just a joy to watch in person. The intensity, the grit, the take no prisoners attitude is beautiful. There was a point in the game where you could see she was annoyed at Park-Lane. Two possessions later she put that move I discussed above on her and we all laughed.

Reaction Score
if she stays healthy she gets all the records. I was at the game last night with good seats. I watched her carefully. As soon as she gets the ball in transition she looks up court and you can see her visualizing the break. She is a more vertical stop and pull up jump shot and a stronger left hand away from being the best PG in the country if she isn't it right now. She is such force out there on offense and forget about it on defense. She controls the game and knows exactly where to put the ball for each player.

Funniest moment for me last night was when Geno yelled at her for trying to pass the ball with 30 seconds left to Aaliyah on a break instead of holding for the last shot in the first quarter. You could just read her mind- " Forget about it Bro, we are up 25-9".
BBallF sees what I also see. EVen the announcer mentioned that Nika has to have a better jump stop to avoid offensive fouls and the dreaded "walking" turnover.. Also, when driving and it's all clogged up--she has to develop a smooth pull-up jumper. Azzi and Lou can help her with that. And the left hand can be developed to be an added weapon. This is very picky and technical because Nika is playing lights out. But as BBall stated if she continues her growth by adding those skills---she would be one of the best point guards.

Reaction Score
The problem with that pass was its dependency on two things. 1) Aliyah recognizing the fade and continuing toward the hoop and 2) Aliyah's ability to control the hard and low pass for the basket. Low passes are anathema for bigs. The real issue though was Nika's poor situational awareness. With so little on the clock the real play was to pull up, use the clock, and make a better percentage pass for a better percentage shot.
No question she should have held it for a set offense and that it was a tough pass to handle but if Aaliyah did anticipate it it would have been highlight reel stuff. Nika thinks she can make any and every pass which is a two edged sword.

Reaction Score
Any other "personal" observations you made that you would care to share with us? I ALWAYS like to hear from posters who attended a game in person. They see a completely different game than those of us forced to watch it through a camera lens. :rolleyes:
Yes. 1) Aaliyah. The energy, the tenacity, the athleticism are not done justice on television at all. She was the dominant player in the game last night despite the great games Dorka and Aubrey had. I don't see how she is not one of the 10 best players in the country right now. 2) They are so well coached it is seamless. They run their offense so adroitly and their switching defense, when you can see the whole half court, is non pareil. There were several times that Hall players got past their man into the lane and all of a sudden there were 2-3 UCONN players there. Seton Hall was stymied, frustrated and downright shut down. 3) The esprit de corps. They just comport themselves like professionals, maybe better. Nika is in charge out there. She looks at Geno every time she has the ball to bring up except on a break or in quick transition. If he gives her the set fine, if not, she picks it. Everyone listens to Nika. You watch her you see great leadership and unselfishness. 4) If you love basketball in its pure form, see them live and as close as possible. Nika's facial expressions are very entertaining. 5) Finally, there was an 8th man in warm ups last night and on the bench. Who was that?

Reaction Score
BBallF sees what I also see. EVen the announcer mentioned that Nika has to have a better jump stop to avoid offensive fouls and the dreaded "walking" turnover.. Also, when driving and it's all clogged up--she has to develop a smooth pull-up jumper. Azzi and Lou can help her with that. And the left hand can be developed to be an added weapon. This is very picky and technical because Nika is playing lights out. But as BBall stated if she continues her growth by adding those skills---she would be one of the best point guards.
1000% dead on.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Perhaps I was unclear, or perhaps you did get my meaning.

The nearest post to Muhl often took her time in transition to be used as a moving screen. Once again, this is not unusual, my point being that Muhl often anticipated her best line of bringing up the ball, rather than reacting to what the post was doing.

Either this is something practiced more this year or Muhl just has a good sense for this, or both.

Reaction Score
On one break last night she dished what would have been a beautiful assist for an easy layup, but in doing so, she ran into the defender and was called for an offensive foul, thus negating the score and the assist. That's not the first time she has been called for such a play. This is not said as criticism, because this is a selfless play. But as some have said, the ability to stop and pop from close range (a la Sue Bird) would add a whole new dimension to her leading the break.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No question she should have held it for a set offense and that it was a tough pass to handle but if Aaliyah did anticipate it it would have been highlight reel stuff. Nika thinks she can make any and every pass which is a two edged sword.
Agreed. But it seems Sarge, @MSGRET doesn't agree with me. Yet, for me, the highlight pass, though a wonderful thing to see has to be weighed, as a PG, against situational awareness. With ball, a lead, and 27 secs on the clock, the prudent play was to pull off and play for the last shot. It also seemed by Geno's screams (added to mine) he agreed with me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You obviously have played the game a lot. Her pull up is not a pure jumper right now, and that is the problem. She releases it on her way up, not at the top of her jump or on the way down so it is not controllable. It is also not purely vertical as in the Big O or Russell Westbrook or Azzi or even Lou. She needs to be taught it and then shoot it a 1000 times. If she gets one, she will be an unstoppable PG because her energy and speed are tremendous and she can get into the lane when she wants to. However, right now, she is just a joy to watch in person. The intensity, the grit, the take no prisoners attitude is beautiful. There was a point in the game where you could see she was annoyed at Park-Lane. Two possessions later she put that move I discussed above on her and we all laughed.
I played a little, but I watch more. I like to watch games multiple times to see what Geno runs and how players work these actions during certain situations. I'll frequently watch to see specific strengths and weaknesses of a player, especially newer players., how they react to adversity and how they adapt. For instance, watching Azzi adapt to physical play and length against her on offense, and how teams try to tire her out on defense by running her through multiple screens has been a joy to watch. Watching Ayanna try the same limited offensive moves every game (the fake, the put back and the short jumper on the right side), not so much. Watching Lou's side step, work the flare and the curl, her offensive variety, confidence in her low release, and cool has been great. Watching her get beat to her left, not so much.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this a couple weeks ago. 31 regular season games. With 3 BE tourney games and possibly up to 6 NCAA games, Muhl could easily pass the 300 mark.

But let's be conservative. Say we have 13+3+4 = 20 more games. She would need to average 7.3 apg to get to 300. Very doable.

Just to pass Bird's 231, she would only need to average 3.9 apg.

This record has been around for 20 years.

Career wise if she can get to 300 this year, that would get her to 449 career wise. She would only need 91 to get into top 10 all time. 150 would get her to top 5. She would need 210 to pass Jefferson for all-time assist leader. Hmmm. (Although hopefully, Bueckers steals a bunch of her assists next year. ;))
Averaging 3.9 apg should be no problem - She's had 5 or more in every game she's played this year!

Reaction Score
Nika has been hurt by the injuries, especially to Azzi, Caroline Ducharme, and some others!
When they were playing Nika was way up to 10+ assists per game because there were so many excellent shooters!
When they get those injured players back Nika's game assist totals will soar again!
And next year will be an outstanding one with so many outstanding passers and shooters available!

Reaction Score
Loved reading through these last dozen or so posts, the depth of the analysis/discussion contrasted with the posts in early 'Nika chains' kind of parallels the evolution of Nika's game from freshman year through the present. She has grown way beyond 'the energy guy' that she envisioned herself as when she first arrived, to be a very focused, controlled leader. As Geno has stated, containing her explosiveness is totally against her very nature. She came to Uconn, self professing that she was a work in progress, an observation which she has continually repeated. It's not just talk, she choose the challenge of joining this team, facing off with possibly the best player of her generation in practice and being challenged by who she respects as being the greatest basketball coach in the women's game. She came to challenge herself to become the best player she can be and ready to put in the work.

Her maturity and focus coming out of this offseason has been a huge leap from the kid who left last spring. She said early in the summer session that it was time to grow up and she intended to reflect that when the season began. That happened in spades. She is still hungry and committed to grow her game and I am so grateful to be along for the ride. Loving, enjoying it along the way and can't wait to see where it takes her. As Geno said about Aaliyah and Nika early their freshman year 'there are kids who play basketball, and there are basketball players - these guys are basketball players'. He got that right!

Love this picture, there's a lot going on in that young woman's head
FmtZnP2WAAgFNQR.jpeg
FmtZnP2WAAgFNQR.jpeg

Reaction Score
I suppose I need to practice making these for Caitlin Clark scoring watch next season.

Here are the averages needed depending games played to break the various season records:
Games PlayedUConn RecordNCAA Record
15​
5.2​
14.3​
16​
4.9​
13.4​
17​
4.6​
12.6​
18​
4.3​
11.9​
19​
4.1​
11.3​
20​
3.9​
10.7​
21​
3.7​
10.2​
22​
3.5​
9.7​

Reaction Score
On one break last night she dished what would have been a beautiful assist for an easy layup, but in doing so, she ran into the defender and was called for an offensive foul, thus negating the score and the assist. That's not the first time she has been called for such a play. This is not said as criticism, because this is a selfless play. But as some have said, the ability to stop and pop from close range (a la Sue Bird) would add a whole new dimension to her leading the break.
Agree 100%. Two (among many) lost arts from from old school basketball.
First, either stopping stopping at the foul line if you have the ball on the break (exception a 2 on 1 break) or shooting yourself if you go beyond it.
Second, is not religiously planting that foot on either the baseline or sideline and using it as an extra defender on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom