UConn and the 2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (#2 seed in Oklahoma City Regional) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (#2 seed in Oklahoma City Regional)

Reaction Score
To win the regional I believe we need quality innings from Wang and Dunlop. I am not a believer in Wallace starting, he is too maximum effort to go more than three innings in a game.

I also concur that Johnson has shown glimmers of being a dependable when he throws strikes. He actually has issued more walks than he has given up hits on the year.
The idea wouldn't be to have Wallace go 5+ innings, it would be to make sure he gets a chance to pitch his 2-3 innings when we're still in the game and hopefully jump out to an early lead

Reaction Score
The idea wouldn't be to have Wallace go 5+ innings, it would be to make sure he gets a chance to pitch his 2-3 innings when we're still in the game and hopefully jump out to an early lead

That might work if you had a Wallace to come in and pitch the last couple innings in relief.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't agree with that philosophy in the middle of a tournament where that potentially burns your closer for the rest of the tournament.

Reaction Score
That might work if you had a Wallace to come in and pitch the last couple innings in relief.
Yeah I'm not necessarily in favor of it. Would have to be a very specific scenario where CJ and Wurster were both available for multiple innings or something

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't agree with that philosophy in the middle of a tournament where that potentially burns your closer for the rest of the tournament.
That's certainly one possibility, the other is you save him for a save chance that never comes. I think we can survive with Kersten starting, but have to think outside the box sometimes

Reaction Score
That's certainly one possibility, the other is you save him for a save chance that never comes. I think we can survive with Kersten starting, but have to think outside the box sometimes

Which is why I suggest Colby Dunlop as a starter for one of the games. As it is, I don't think the five trusted pitchers in question (Feole, Kersten, Wurster, Dandeneau, and Wallace) can give you enough innings to take the regional. It might be a little different if one of the three relievers were a starter who reliably could give you 6 or 7 innings, but it is not the case with this team. Going to need some others to either give you a good start for several innings or a long relief stint amounting to the same thing, enabling UConn to get to Wurster, Dandeneau, and Wallace without them having to throw their arms off. Some pitchers are going to need to step up.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I still think Angus Mayock might see innings before it is said and done. Wallace isn't PJ Poulin- I can't see him going more than 3 innings. The key to Mason is pitch count- if he could go 7 innings that would be helpful.

Reaction Score
I still think Angus Mayock might see innings before it is said and done. Wallace isn't PJ Poulin- I can't see him going more than 3 innings. The key to Mason is pitch count- if he could go 7 innings that would be helpful.

There are several guys who could see innings and help. Colby Dunlop, Jimmy Wang, Angus Mayock, Karl Johnson, and Joe Simeone seem the most likely ones of the bunch. Also possible Kenny Haus could get a start and get a couple innings, but considering Penders didn't use him much late in the season, you have to wonder. Still, any one of these guys are going to be on a very short leash and liable to be pulled at the slightest hint of trouble.

Reaction Score
Dave Borges: Pat Winkel healthy, hot at the right time as UConn heads into NCAA tournament play

>>Since returning to the lineup on May 10 after suffering his second concussion of the season, Winkel has hit .362 with three homers over his last 11 games. He’s currently at an even .300 for the season, fourth on the Huskies, and he’s ready to lead UConn into the NCAA tournament, starting on Friday afternoon against Nebraska in Oklahoma City.

“We’re finally hitting that stretch where we’re kind of cruising right now,” Winkel said. “We’re in the best part of the season — no school, no worries, just playing baseball. That’s what they said was the most fun, especially being able to play in the postseason and go so far in our conference and even play for a national championship.”<<

>>Penders, a former UConn catcher himself, admits Winkel has had some trouble adjusting to the everyday grind this season.

“To catch in this league, every day, it’s very demanding physically, and even more so mentally,” the 16th-year Husky head coach said. “And I’m tough on him. I’m tough on my catchers. But he’s come a long way. He’s a very good receiver. He wore down a little bit, a couple of times during the year where his body kind of broke down on him. He’s got to learn how to pace himself, how to play every day, how to be extra strong. But he’ll figure all that stuff out. He’s a really hard-working kid from a great family. We’re really happy with his development.”<<

Reaction Score
Amore: UConn’s Mason Feole takes the ball for one more big game, vs. Nebraska in NCAA Tournament

>>“I expect him to be great,” UConn coach Jim Penders said. “It’s an unrealistic expectation, but that’s how great he has been for us over his three years. When we hand him the ball in high leverage situations, he comes through. We have a ton of confidence in him.”<<

>>
Against Nebraska, Feole will face a lineup that has struggled against lefthanders throughout the season, so much so that UConn coaches dropped any thought of holding their ace back for a possible matchup with top-seeded Oklahoma State in Game 2.

“You win Game 1 and you can put yourself I the driver’s seat,” Feole said. “That’s what we’re focused on Friday. The way Husky baseball has always been played, since I’ve been here: Every game as always been held as the most important. Coach Penders always harps on the idea that the next game is the most important game on the schedule. The best way for the game not to speed up on you is to one, play every game like it’s your last, and two, like it’s the most important game of the season.”<<

Reaction Score
Feole needs to bring his A game. This has been a sort of up and down season. Not the time to have a down performance. But the goal needs to be to win the Nebraska game and worry about Game 2 when it comes. When your staff isn’t deep you need to work it out as it comes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think they will use him in high leverage situations. Maybe not a save, maybe to hold things for a couple of innings even if 6-7 against the heart of the lineup they face. I wouldn't start him. We will need him in multiple games.

Reaction Score
To win the regional I believe we need quality innings from Wang and Dunlop. I am not a believer in Wallace starting, he is too maximum effort to go more than three innings in a game.

I also concur that Johnson has shown glimmers of being a dependable when he throws strikes. He actually has issued more walks than he has given up hits on the year.

Johnson's enormous potential is shown in his batting average against. He needs to learn more control over the offseason. But there is no reason Wurster, Johnson and Mayock can't form a really good (if not as dominant as this year's) triumverate of relievers who get the ball when your team is ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dave Borges: Pat Winkel healthy, hot at the right time as UConn heads into NCAA tournament play

>>Since returning to the lineup on May 10 after suffering his second concussion of the season, Winkel has hit .362 with three homers over his last 11 games. He’s currently at an even .300 for the season, fourth on the Huskies, and he’s ready to lead UConn into the NCAA tournament, starting on Friday afternoon against Nebraska in Oklahoma City.

“We’re finally hitting that stretch where we’re kind of cruising right now,” Winkel said. “We’re in the best part of the season — no school, no worries, just playing baseball. That’s what they said was the most fun, especially being able to play in the postseason and go so far in our conference and even play for a national championship.”<<

>>Penders, a former UConn catcher himself, admits Winkel has had some trouble adjusting to the everyday grind this season.

“To catch in this league, every day, it’s very demanding physically, and even more so mentally,” the 16th-year Husky head coach said. “And I’m tough on him. I’m tough on my catchers. But he’s come a long way. He’s a very good receiver. He wore down a little bit, a couple of times during the year where his body kind of broke down on him. He’s got to learn how to pace himself, how to play every day, how to be extra strong. But he’ll figure all that stuff out. He’s a really hard-working kid from a great family. We’re really happy with his development.”<<

There is no reason not to expect Winkel to be our best position player at least since George Springer by the time he's done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is no reason not to expect Winkel to be our best position player at least since George Springer by the time he's done.

It's got to be tough to catch a lot of games as a freshman. I expect he'll better prepare his body for the grind this off-season to avoid injuries. It means nothing but the kid just looks like a baseball player.

Reaction Score
Amore: UConn’s Mason Feole takes the ball for one more big game, vs. Nebraska in NCAA Tournament

>>“I expect him to be great,” UConn coach Jim Penders said. “It’s an unrealistic expectation, but that’s how great he has been for us over his three years. When we hand him the ball in high leverage situations, he comes through. We have a ton of confidence in him.”<<

>>
Against Nebraska, Feole will face a lineup that has struggled against lefthanders throughout the season, so much so that UConn coaches dropped any thought of holding their ace back for a possible matchup with top-seeded Oklahoma State in Game 2.

“You win Game 1 and you can put yourself I the driver’s seat,” Feole said. “That’s what we’re focused on Friday. The way Husky baseball has always been played, since I’ve been here: Every game as always been held as the most important. Coach Penders always harps on the idea that the next game is the most important game on the schedule. The best way for the game not to speed up on you is to one, play every game like it’s your last, and two, like it’s the most important game of the season.”<<

Also from this article, for anyone harboring the hope that Feole may return next season:

>The consensus is he will be picked during the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft next week.<

Reaction Score
G. Keefe: Once teammates, now coaches, Penders, Podeszwa are brothers in UConn baseball

>>"I sleep with Jim more than I do my wife during the baseball season because he and I share a room on the road," Podeszwa said with a hearty laugh. "There are times between February and May where I feel like I know him better than I know my family."

This season is their 16th together as coaches in the UConn dugout, but prior to that they were Husky teammates. They'll guide the Huskies in the NCAA tournament on Friday, facing Nebraska in the Oklahoma City Regional at 1 p.m.<<

>>Podeszwa also has made a vital contribution to UConn's success. He has the best baseball mind on the staff, Penders says.

"He knows the game inside and out," Penders said. "I rely on him a ton for strategy. He and I have an unspoken language. He's coaching first and I look at him a certain way and I know 'you better bunt here, you dummy.' He's incredibly valuable. He also brings great energy. He throws the best batting practice in the country.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom