UConn and the 2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (#2 seed in Oklahoma City Regional) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (#2 seed in Oklahoma City Regional)

Reaction Score
3 teams as 1, 2 and 4 seeds is not bad. The SEC is worshipped by the baseball committee.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Oregon State cannot hit the ball, maybe Orendorff can give them a chance to win that one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel bad for you; correct me if I'm wrong but it seems every time you come to this forum and get invested in UConn baseball, they come up with abhorrent performances.

The team should dedicate their next win to you :)

I followed along most of the games here. I saw one at the Dunk and one at JO. Felt they underachieved a bit in the regular season but if they get to a Super Regional it’s a solid result.

They rolled through the AAC fine until whatever that was yesterday. Baseball is my first love but MLB and the NCAA are cranking out games so long they can’t be consumed in 2019.

I’ve been to Spring Training in Clearwater. Sitting through a 4.5 hour game in June is worse than being in a literal desert.

Reaction Score
I followed along most of the games here. I saw one at the Dunk and one at JO. Felt they underachieved a bit in the regular season but if they get to a Super Regional it’s a solid result.

They rolled through the AAC fine until whatever that was yesterday. Baseball is my first love but MLB and the NCAA are cranking out games so long they can’t be consumed in 2019.

I’ve been to Spring Training in Clearwater. Sitting through a 4.5 hour game in June is worse than being in a literal desert.
You know lacrosse games are always 2 hours long, right?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is anyone planning on making the trip to OKC?

Reaction Score
That is a plus. I maintain lacrosse is fun to play and terrible to watch.
If you can appreciate warrior mentalities, great game to watch, too, methinks. I find the college lacrosse games I attend to be fun. Maybe blowouts are boring, since you know the other team is unlikely to make a comeback.

Reaction Score
I’ve never studied game theory with respect to double elimination college baseball tournaments but I’d be shocked if there was a better strategy than do everything you can do to win the next game.

I feel like if the staff thinks Kersten is a good matchup against Nebraska they should gamble and start him game 1. I just have no idea if that maximizes their odds of advancing.

Reaction Score
My platform that all replay should be eliminated is gaining traction. Basketball is committing suicide with replay. Baseball is beyond foolish to get on board.

I have never liked replay in any sport. It just takes way too long to resolve. The games in all sports all take too long to complete as it is, and baseball is certainly no exception.

Reaction Score
You are going to have to beat Okie st to win this thing, wouldn't the chances be better if Feole started Saturday? If the goal is just to win a game, and I don't know why that would be, then yes start him Friday

I feel like if the staff thinks Kersten is a good matchup against Nebraska they should gamble and start him game 1. I just have no idea if that maximizes their odds of advancing.

Given that Penders truly trusts only two starters and three relievers on this team, the best way to advance out of this regional is to play as few games as possible. Best way to do that in my mind is to use your Feole and Kersten (in whatever order) Friday and Saturday, and hope they pitch very well so that you can staff your way to a win on Sunday. One argument for possibly pitching Kersten on Friday is that he could possibly come back and give a short relief stint later in the regional (I tend to doubt that they would use Feole that way). At some point I would also think we will see Colby Dunlop, either as a starter (my preference) or in long relief and hope that he can build on the success that he had in the AAC tournament.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Quick perusal of message boards indicate that Nebraska fans are humble and knowledgeable while Ok State fans are arrogant & already focused on a potential Super Regional appearance. If we don't win this regional, I hope NU does.

Sadly the main NU message board requires $20 to sign up for. Oh well...

Reaction Score
You know...I think ole FSU stole a bid from a worthier team this year.

One of last four in and not a very good team this year....but I am happy for Mike Martin...he goes out making the tournament for all 40 of his FSU coaching years.

Nole RPI of 50....Houston has 42 for RPI...Houston is probably a better team.

Reaction Score
Quick perusal of message boards indicate that Nebraska fans are humble and knowledgeable while Ok State fans are arrogant & already focused on a potential Super Regional appearance. If we don't win this regional, I hope NU does.

Sadly the main NU message board requires $20 to sign up for. Oh well...
All of I've seen from OSU fans so far is complaining about having to go to Lubbock again for the Super Regional. Hope the team overlooks it the same way

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
You know...I think ole FSU stole a bid from a worthier team this year.

One of last four in and not a very good team this year....but I am happy for Mike Martin...he goes out making the tournament for all 40 of his FSU coaching years.

Nole RPI of 50....Houston has 42 for RPI...Houston is probably a better team.

They closed well in the ACC tournament. FSU deserves it more than Duke or friggin TCU.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Feole starts game 1, no?

Reaction Score

>>Like the Huskers, Connecticut lost in its tourney final in the American Athletic Conference. With an RPI of 29 and nonconference strength of schedule ranking 29th nationally, the Huskies have faced and bested quality teams. That includes a series win over Louisville (now a No. 7 national seed) and NCAA qualifier Illinois.

UConn is 157th in the country in scoring (5.6 runs per game) and manufactures much of its offense (17th in sacrifice flies and 33rd in sac bunts). In news that isn't great for Nebraska and its struggles against left-handers, Connecticut's Friday night starter this season has been southpaw Mason Feole (3-3, 3.50 ERA).

The two programs have met once. The Huskies earned a 15-0 victory in regional action in 1979.<<

Reaction Score

>>Like the Huskers, Connecticut lost in its tourney final in the American Athletic Conference. With an RPI of 29 and nonconference strength of schedule ranking 29th nationally, the Huskies have faced and bested quality teams. That includes a series win over Louisville (now a No. 7 national seed) and NCAA qualifier Illinois.

UConn is 157th in the country in scoring (5.6 runs per game) and manufactures much of its offense (17th in sacrifice flies and 33rd in sac bunts). In news that isn't great for Nebraska and its struggles against left-handers, Connecticut's Friday night starter this season has been southpaw Mason Feole (3-3, 3.50 ERA).

The two programs have met once. The Huskies earned a 15-0 victory in regional action in 1979.<<
Unfortunately we only have three lefties... Feole, Gardner, Wurster

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom