UConn and PC NCAA Tourney History | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and PC NCAA Tourney History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Absolutely PC and UConn should play each year. Excellent rivalry just 45 minutes away. Almost always good games regardless of their records in any year. No brainer.

Would love to see it.

Reaction Score
This is BS. PC never did UConn any favors. When PC was considered a top program in the east, they never played UConn in the regular season. Less than 50 miles away and they never played. And UConn wasn't part of Gavitt's original plan, they only got that seat in the Big East after Holy Cross passed. At that point in time, UConn was the up and coming program, winning the ECAC with a team who's best players were freshman. Not taking the best team in the Northeast would have been difficult for a new league trying to build credibility. Especially a league calling themselves the Big East.
That story about the UConn ,bid after Holy Cross withdrew seems to be an Urban Legend. Pretty much everyone playing Div 1 BB was invited including Rutgers, who turned it down.
Rhody and UMASS weren't but those states were represented.
I'm sure UMass was considered after HC bowed out. BC probably blackballed them ,( I couldn't resist that) I guess PC could have blackballed but us but there was a pretty close New England BB fraternity. We were all playing in the short-lived ECAC whose reginal winners got an Auto-bid.

Neither Nova or any Philly team ,was even on the original invite list.
Remember big 5 BB was a huge and Philly kind of looked down on everyone else.

Reaction Score
Bullspit!!!!! Gavitt and Rowe were close friends and chose NOT to play one another, until the BE was formed and we had no choice. By then both coaches had moved on.

Reaction Score
We should play them just like we should play Syracuse Georgetown st johns BC nova etc. College athletics has gone mad. There is no better feeling than seeing the rejected look on the faces of coworkers and friends after their school gets there butts handed to them by UConn. Also it sucks the other way around but the rivalries are what make sports fun in my opinion. I miss the rivalries, however intense they may have been, now that we have none.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bullspit!!!!! Gavitt and Rowe were close friends and chose NOT to play one another, until the BE was formed and we had no choice. By then both coaches had moved on.
I sure Gavitt had no problem with that. And Rowe was wrong to not push for a game. But UConn basketball existed before 1969, you know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be all for a UConn PC series. I guess I'm in the minority but I root for New England basketball minus BC and Providence is the second best program in New England. Cooley has done an excellent job at PC and I have no problem rooting for them in all their games except when they play UConn.

Reaction Score
First, we will play Georgetown, next year, as a team from the old BE. Both the Pitt & Villanova coaches have mentioned talks of games vs us and them. Ollie mentioned possible future game(s) with Syracuse, probably at the Garden. At that time (2-3 months ago) he dropped PC's name too.
My guess is a game with PC & UConn will happen. But, not for a few more years.
For any PC fan to come here and brag about their RPI in January vs ours, especially considering we are defending champs, rings very hollow. Even if PC makes the tourney and UConn doesn't, this year (very possible at this juncture) PC would have to make a big splash to make any kind of impression, here. Especially because PC hasn't won an NCAA tourney game in over 10 years.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn-PC would be more fun than (a) any of the Connecticut schools, (b) 4/5 of the AAC games, (c) all other OOC games except the made-for-TV elite program out of conference games.

A PC game would be about as interesting as UConn-Stanford and UConn-Texas and UConn-Florida.

Sure, Georgetown, Nova, St John's would be nice too. Just don't schedule BC. Don't want to look at them, hear about them, think about them.

Reaction Score
We should be playing PC, URI, UMass, St. John's, Seton Hall, Harvard, etc. on a regular basis. I realize you can't schedule them all every year because you need a certain number of home games to bring in ticket revenue. But we have to get these lousy OOC cupcake games off our schedule.

UCF, USF, ECU and Houston are already killing the confernce RPI, but that's another issue all together.

These other schools are right in our backyard. Harvard agreed to play us without having to go to their place and I'm sure they would do it again. We can probably get a 2 and 1 series with URI and maybe UMass. Play home and home series with the other schools. UConn fans would travel the short distance for these games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My only agenda is calling you out on your BS that "history shows that PC was as a strong allie(sp) of UConn." PC didn't play UConn in the regular season between 1947 to 1977. I didn't make that up.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Games against Nova, Cuse, Gtown lands us in prime time. Games with BC and Providence won't and we could lose. However.
if were loaded with talent then we should play them.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
None of it happens without Naismith, or um, George Washington either...was there a point in there Friar?

caw

Reaction Score
Ummm....our RPI is currently in the 20s; UConn is in the high 70s. We play in the #2 RPI conference; while you are relegated to the AAC(10 maybe?)

You would be lucky to get a home and home at this point(in case you aren't sure; that's a joke). PC will play you anywhere, anytime. You know, your old motto. PC even offered a home game with no return and you turtles.

Probably not going to happen anytime soon. Too bad, always a great game.

Lol, I don't know why so many missed that you were joking about the home and home.

That said you should have said the "PC even offered a home game with no return and your turtles" was also a joke.

PC demanded a home and home, UConn offered a single game. PC balked at not getting a home game.

I am actually in favor of neither of those options and playing PC in a place down in southern CT (Mohegan? Bridgeport?) every other year with UConn as the home team. I think that's relatively fair and makes it a bit more interesting. UConn played a game this year in Bridgeport why not make that PC. I still wouldn't do a home and home with PC because it's not worth it compared to who UConn does play home and homes with every year from an exposure POV.

Reaction Score
Thank god for this thread.

It's been far too long since sean and FriarJ have had an opportunity to troll this board.

Reaction Score
Simple as that----we will only play PeeCee when it totally is an advantage for us. Our sked was a little disjointed this year owing to the piss poor AAC requirement and the need to play FL on the road. Maybe Ollie felt he might lose the game. They have a history of beating us even when they had poor teams. Of course one of those losses was at Gampel which led to Calhoun's Gomes speech.

Reaction Score

And the reason you spend lots and lots of your time on a UConn board is…….?

Reaction Score
Snowed in and extremely board I was just looking at our amazing tourney history, and for fun I decided to take a look at Providence. Do you guys realize since 1997 we have won 41 NCAA games since their last win? 41!!! That is so damn pathetic why the hell would we ever give them a home and home game?

Ryan Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul