UConn/ACC | Page 24 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
Point well made, nicely presented. Not that you care, I'll give you a pass. (Figure having a Sox fan in the house must be punishment enough).

Reaction Score
Hey roomie, let's start the new year off being kinder and gentler. The man's got a plan and a dream and you're smacking it down like a whack-a-mole game. We're so close to MLK Day. Let @1999.2004.2011 have his dream. I too will embrace that dream. We just need 1 domino to fall. Personally, I'm clinging to VTech wanting to make more money in the B1G and we join with them. Unfounded and unlikely, but it gives me hope.

Hey The'..wasn't trying to be snarky...hope it wasn't harsh.. I am with you on the VA TECH.. I really think we are well aligned with them. But as each day passes, hope becomes fainter..

How long must we sing this song...

Reaction Score
http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/174594

John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, said ACC presidents will meet next week and among the topic is an ACC Network.
The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference.

;)
Sans that ginormous DC to NYC hole containing most of the population mass. The ACC is like an atom that has no nucleus. Do you know if there's any truth to the rumor that Dunkin Donuts is test marketing a combination of an extremely thin donut called the "ACC" and a plump, juicy hole called the "B1G" in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Hey The'..wasn't trying to be snarky...hope it wasn't harsh.. I am with you on the VA TECH.. I really think we are well aligned with them. But as each day passes, hope becomes fainter..

How long must we sing this song...

I think we are seeing hope. The upcoming legislation which allows unbalanced divisions and more of a focus on league Networks improves our position.

Reaction Score
Sans that ginormous DC to NYC hole containing most of the population mass. The ACC is like an atom that has no nucleus. Do you know if there's any truth to the rumor that Dunkin Donuts is test marketing a combination of an extremely thin donut called the "ACC" and a plump, juicy hole called the "B1G" in Connecticut?
Mmmmm Donuts....

Reaction Score
I simply feel that, geographically and culturally, UConn has no business in a league dominated by midwestern football powerhouse schools that we have little to no history with.

My opinion of John Swofford doesn't factor into which schools I want to see us play on a regular basis. We have great rivalries with schools I love to hate, and I'd love to see those rivalries sustained well into the future.

I also disagree with the idea that an ACC football schedule couldn't fill the Rent. Success on the field is what is going to ultimately bring people to games. UConn could quickly become a real competitor in the ACC. I love UConn as much as anyone, but getting into the B1G does NOT mean we'd ever be a true football competitor in the B1G. I am not interested in being a perennial bottom dweller in a football obsessed conference.

The ACC would give us time to grow our football program and have some success, which would lead to better recruiting, which would lead to more success.

Wanting UConn to join the B1G because ACC football just isn't "good enough" for our program (which as you may recall has gone 13-23 against mediocre competition in the past 3 years) is absurd.
Fill the Rent at 42,000 yes ,but we're talking 55,ooo + for B1G games
Connecticut is the epicenter of Yankeedom
what does it have in common culturally with anything South of Maryland.?
We have a huge commonality with the Eastern B1G teams.

Reaction Score
Thrasher just tipped his hand...looks like Cinci is on the docket for #15

John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, said ACC presidents will meet next week and among the topic is an ACC Network.

“.........The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; emand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying."

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

“....The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; emand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying."

I thought about it when I first read that quote. Pittsburgh is only 30 miles from the Ohio border so...

Reaction Score

“....The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; emand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying."
Louisville is somewhat in the Ohio Market.,but Cinncy was always a possibility.
That would be a better long term move for them than the Big 12. Which appears to be in destruct mode.
For the ACC another marginal move.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe he doesn't know that Indiana is west of Ohio. Maybe he thinks Notre Dame or Louisville is in Ohio. He is a Florida State guy you know.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not a football member of the ACC...and Thrasher is an FSU guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess it sounds better than saying that the conference "stretches from Florida to Virginia and then takes a hard left turn inland to gather up several zip codes in Kentucky, the city of Pittsburgh and hundreds of square miles of squalor in upstate New York before finally swerving right towards Cleveland Circle in Newton."

pj

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not a football member of the ACC...and Thrasher is an FSU guy.

An ACC network would be showing all-sports content including Notre Dame sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The ACC and Notre Dame are expected to finalize details for the remainder of their 60-game contract soon. ACC senior associate commissioner Michael Strickland said the conference will likely have dates and sites for the fourth, fifth and six years of the deal and years and sites for the back half of the contract. Under the agreement, which begins this year, Notre Dame will play every ACC school four times, home and away, through 2025. The ACC-Notre Dame games have already been scheduled for 2014-2016."​

Conspiracy Kitty says, it's a 60-game contract with 4 games against each ACC school. 60/4 = 15. So the ACC is expecting to have 15 teams through much of the contract period.

tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says, it's going to be tough for our athletes to have to play in the B1G and ACC at the same time!
tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
WTF dude? Do have like hidden cameras all over my house? Man I gotta put a sheet over the litter box..

Reaction Score
Well, we don't have MD or WV or PA or KY or NJ or NY or CT or MA but we do have Pittsburgh and Louisville so aw heck, sure, we have Ohio.

Reaction Score

Say it ain't so. I can't see any reason to invite Cincinnati ahead of Connecticut to the ACC other than perhaps football recruiting in Ohio. I can see Louisville, Notre Dame, and perhaps Pittsburgh pushing for it though due to travel distance. They have a hub airport there too for others to have easy access. Connecticut is the better choice IMO, certainly geographically and athletically. BC and Syracuse need to push for UConn for the same travel reasons. And if the ACC is going to add another city school like Cincinnati, I'd rather have Temple. The ACC is an eastern conference.

The President of Cincinnati, Santa Ono, often puts photos of himself with other Presidents of the ACC and the Big XII at various meetings on his twitter account, so he's working it. I'll give him that. Hopefully the FSU President was referencing Pittsburgh being on the Ohio border and not another member from Ohio.

Reaction Score
Say it ain't so. I can't see any reason to invite Cincinnati ahead of Connecticut to the ACC other than perhaps football recruiting in Ohio. I can see Louisville, Notre Dame, and perhaps Pittsburgh pushing for it though due to travel distance. They have a hub airport there too for others to have easy access. Connecticut is the better choice IMO, certainly geographically and athletically. BC and Syracuse need to push for UConn for the same travel reasons. And if the ACC is going to add another city school like Cincinnati, I'd rather have Temple. The ACC is an eastern conference.

The President of Cincinnati, Santa Ono, often puts photos of himself with other Presidents of the ACC and the Big XII at various meetings on his twitter account, so he's working it. I'll give him that. Hopefully the FSU President was referencing Pittsburgh being on the Ohio border and not another member from Ohio.

Cincinnati only makes sense if we’re joining in full(Not happening).

pj

Reaction Score
tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
WTF dude? Do have like hidden cameras all over my house? Man I gotta put a sheet over the litter box..

Me and Kitty have a little conspiracy of our own going ...

Reaction Score
FSU's AD specifically said "from the Atlantic to Ohio". Not central Kentucky, not western Pennsylvania, not Indiana for all sports but 1...he said Ohio. Sot it is written, so shall it be done. It fits nicely with the first rule of conference realignment ;)

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
FSU's AD specifically said "from the Atlantic to Ohio". Not central Kentucky, not western Pennsylvania, not Indiana for all sports but 1...he said Ohio. Sot it is written, so shall it be done. It fits nicely with the first rule of conference realignment ;)
Delany also said from northern Virginia to southern New England. So just chalk it up as fluffing up the footprint.

Reaction Score
It is "to Ohio"...strictly speaking, "to" is not inclusive of the state but to its border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom