UConn/ACC | Page 27 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of my best friends went to BC and lives in Boston. Saturday's hockey game was the first BC sporting event he's been to since graduating in 2010 after being a Superfan and attending about 90% of football hockey and hoops games. Oh btw he was cheering for UConn with us.
Are you saying BC sports don't generate a lot of interest? :eek:

Reaction Score
Are you saying BC sports don't generate a lot of interest? :eek:
Haha shocking I know. My friend is kinda what's wrong with their inability to maintain a fan base. They draw outstanding students from all over...who have no athletic allegiance when they leave.

Reaction Score
I read it, and its stunning in its candor. Lets hope people up there take notice
There is no cry for a BC-UConn football game in Greater Boston. It has less interest than a BC- Umass football scheduled game. That's understandable, as there are far, far more graduates of the Massachusetts State College system living within a 50 mile radius of Boston than there are Uconn graduates living within a 50 mile radius of Boston. So while its understandable that in Connecticut, or among UConn grads that there is a strong aching to play BC in football, such a scheduled game in Boston doesn't do much of anything at all for the vast majority of non BC alums in Greater Boston that follow BC football and go over to Chestnut Hill to see the games there.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
There is no cry for a BC-UConn football game in Greater Boston. It has less interest than a BC- Umass football scheduled game. That's understandable, as there are far, far more graduates of the Massachusetts State College system living within a 50 mile radius of Boston than there are Uconn graduates living within a 50 mile radius of Boston. So while its understandable that in Connecticut, or among UConn grads that there is a strong aching to play BC in football, such a scheduled game in Boston doesn't do much of anything at all for the vast majority of non BC alums in Greater Boston that follow BC football and go over to Chestnut Hill to see the games there.

Um, there is no cry for a BC game in greater Boston.

UConn has nothing to do with that problem. However, I assure you that despite your claims, an annual UConn/BC game would be a very big deal.

Reaction Score
Um, there is no cry for a BC game in greater Boston.

oh com'on man, don't start that again. Not when UConn has 3 times the number of alums than BC does, has far more of its alums living in its state, and yet has less football fans at their home games these days than little ol BC does. This tripe of " nobody cares about BC football in Boston " shouldn't be used when UConn football now draws less fans to games than BC football does.... despite the fact that UConn football does not have the pro sports competition for attention right square in its midst too. For 47 of the last 50 years, BC has drawn more football fans to its home games than UConn football has. So that snarky reply of yours falls flat, imo.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nobody cares about Boston College in Boston or Massachusetts or even New England. It has nothing to do with UConn - you're a smallish private school in the 'burbs outside of Boston.

Our football has an issue - it's bad. Your athletic department has an issue - it's invisible.

We can fix bad. You can't fix invisible and the op-ed in the BC paper was accurate...there's nothing compelling out there for you. You have no rivals outside of your attempts to ankle-bite Notre Dame.

Such is life.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about Boston College in Boston or Massachusetts or even New England. It has nothing to do with UConn - you're a smallish private school in the 'burbs outside of Boston.

Our football has an issue - it's bad. Your athletic department has an issue - it's invisible.

We can fix bad. You can't fix invisible and the op-ed in the BC paper was accurate...there's nothing compelling out there for you. You have no rivals outside of your attempts to ankle-bite Notre Dame.

Such is life.

While its true that BC football has little to no interest in Connecticut, except for a few obsessed UConn football fans that pine for a BC- UConn " rivalry game " each year, it is not true that BC football is invisible in Greater Boston. UConn football is " invisible " in Greater Boston, and has always been so. I take it you were not born, raised, work in Greater Boston, so you would perhaps know imtimately UConn football interest there better than I. BC football has marginal interest in Boston, but its not " invisible ". Its games are on TV, and covered in the Boston papers. UConn football is not covered at all in the Boston papers, on Boston radio, or on Boston TV. It is defined by its " invisibleness " to sports fans around Boston. Also, the notion that " you can fix bad " is speculative at best, as even many UConn football fans do not share your crystal ball certitude that THIS level of UConn football " bad " ( its program current status, current league predicament, etc ) is fixable long term.

Such is life.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would UConn football be covered in Boston?

We're in Connecticut.

I don't care if we play Boston College in anything - you're basically Providence, but with a couple of extra toll booths on the way.

Reaction Score
One of my best friends went to BC and lives in Boston. Saturday's hockey game was the first BC sporting event he's been to since graduating in 2010 after being a Superfan and attending about 90% of football hockey and hoops games. Oh btw he was cheering for UConn with us.
That's an amazing tale to learn that a BC student went to " 90% of football, hockey, basketball games " at the school, while a student there. In my many years of experience with BC students as fans, few of those that attend their school's hockey games attend the school's basketball games... at all... let alone " about 90% " of the basketball games . ( and vice versa). The fact that a Superfan that attended about " 90% of the football, hockey, basketball games " while a student there, tells me he must be originally from the state of Connecticut. Otherwise, this fans cheering for UConn, after being such a apparently unprecedented BC sports fan diehard of 3 sports teams there, does seem rather odd if he was not born and raised in the state of Connecticut. My guess then, is that he was originally from Connecticut before deciding to attend school in Massachusetts and then take a job and decide to live here in the Boston area. Would that be accurate ?

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
That's an amazing tale to learn that a BC student went to " 90% of football, hockey, basketball games " at the school, while a student there. In my many years of experience with BC students as fans, few of those that attend their school's hockey games attend the school's basketball games... at all... let alone " about 90% " of the basketball games . ( and vice versa). The fact that a Superfan that attended about " 90% of the football, hockey, basketball games " while a student there, tells me he must be originally from the state of Connecticut. Otherwise, this fans cheering for UConn, after being such a apparently unprecedented BC sports fan diehard of 3 sports teams there, does seem rather odd if he was not born and raised in the state of Connecticut. My guess then, is that he was originally from Connecticut before deciding to attend school in Massachusetts and then take a job and decide to live here in the Boston area. Would that be accurate ?

Why don't you ask him?

Reaction Score

But, there is a cry for BC versus Holy Cross football games? By who? The over +70 alumni crowd who remenber when HC had big-time sports (and owned BC)? When I lived in Boston, I took a friend, who is a multi-generation BC alumn, to BC at UConn at the Rent and he took me to the game at Alumni. He actually enjoyed the Rent and went to two more games (non BC games) with me noting that unless one is a MAJOR donor to BC and thus can use to adjacent parking deck to Alumni, getting to UConn football games is easier than BC (a slight exaggeration; but, it is a long bus ride from Needham to Newton -http://www.bceagles.com/ot/event-parking.html) and UConn has a better tailgating scene. What we both agree upon, and I believe it is the point that you and leadership in the Heights miss, is that New England needs UConn and BC, who are the only 2 major football programs in the region, to thrive for the sake of college football in New England. College football thrives because of fierce local rivalries, such as Alabama/Auburn, UCLA/USC, Army/Navy, Michiganetc. Those programs do not run away from it, they embrace it.

Reaction Score
But, there is a cry for BC versus Holy Cross football games? By who?

Probably those over age 75 that either live in Worcester area west of Rte 495, or those over age 75 that are Holy Cross alums and are still alive.

BC and Holy Cross were once... and for decades.... football rivals, as the matchups had all the essential components necessary for the games to be considered a rivalry game. 1) both were Catholic Schools 2) both were in Massachusetts 3 ) both played each other each and every season 4) each played each other the last game of the season 5) both fan bases considered the other as rivals, and as equals on the football field.

ND and BC are not football rivals either, as the 5 ingredients above are not met.

Syracuse and BC have some commonality... some mutual football history going back to their former BE football days, and even before. My guess, BC and Syracuse will become football rivals moving forward, as both have the potential now to fulfill at least a portion of the necessary components listed here. Both are not Catholic schools, but both are Privates ( not Publics ), both will play each other each season, and the last game of the season. And both are equals on the football field, and each has a sizable portion of its football fan base that would be agreeable for the game to become an annual rival game. BC did want Syracuse to follow it to the ACC when Miami bolted the BE, and saw the dominos about to fall. Now that Syracuse has been accepted into the ACC, it appears that they will become BC's football rival moving forward. Finally, you might want to keep in mind that lots of schools that play football, do not have an annual " rivalry " game. Most schools don't. UConn is not alone in this. And most schools are ok with not having an annual, last game, " rivalry " football game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would UConn football be covered in Boston?

We're in Connecticut.

I don't care if we play Boston College in anything - you're basically Providence, but with a couple of extra toll booths on the way.
I suppose that most that live in the other's state consider the other merely a drive thru or a fly over country. I find this an accurate assessment, and thus would agree with you here on this observation and assessment on the part of most sports fans in each other's states of Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@Mr. Conehead - why does the region care? Neither team has an active fanbase right now?

Reaction Score

Seriously, you should just ask him. We're talking about a guy that attended 90% of the football, basketball and hockey games while he was at BC.

There are only about 11 people who fit that description (and would have the guts to admit to it). He can't be that hard to track down.

Reaction Score
Seriously, you should just ask him. We're talking about a guy that attended 90% of the football, basketball and hockey games while he was at BC.

There are only about 11 people who fit that description (and would have the guts to admit to it). He can't be that hard to track down.
The poster above apparently knows him so it would be much easier for him to tell us

Reaction Score
C'mon. You must know that one guy.
No I really don't . Probably just like all of us, we don 't know anyone that is a BC hockey fan that goes to " about 90% of the BC Basketball games " while he was a student at BC. I know a little about Hockey fans, and BC Hockey fans, and they are not fans that go to most of the BC basketball games....( or vice versa) And then turn around and become Uconn Hockey fans as alleged on here above.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know a little about Hockey fans, and BC Hockey fans, and they are not fans that go to most of the BC basketball games....

In fairness to BC hockey fans, no one goes to most of BC's basketball games.

Reaction Score
Love that article. It encapsulates the oft mistold and misrepresented facts of the UConn side of the story, as well as the disturbing injustice UConn fans are facing. We have a right to be very angry.

Haven't heard that it was accepted by Emmert et al. Of course Emmert, that flea bag whore, is a Syra.... grad. So it might be in the works. Found it particularly cynical and insulting that Syra.... goes on a self-imposed ban in February after losing 3 of 4. It this BS stands Emmert should be drawn and quartered . Someone compared Espn, Ncaa and Syra.... to the 3 stooges - no way - the stooges had far more class and dignity than this vile group.

Reaction Score
In fairness to BC hockey fans, no one goes to most of BC's basketball games.

...... and it's a damn shame too, BC is so close to making a run to be NIT eligible. Not this season, but soon.........

pj

Reaction Score
Haven't heard that it was accepted by Emmert et al. Of course Emmert, that flea bag whore, is a Syra.... grad. So it might be in the works. Found it particularly cynical and insulting that Syra.... goes on a self-imposed ban in February after losing 3 of 4. It this BS stands Emmert should be drawn and quartered . Someone compared Espn, Ncaa and Syra.... to the 3 stooges - no way - the stooges had far more class and dignity than this vile group.

The Stooges at least hit each other once in a while. ESPN, NCAA, and Cuse only massage each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom