Status
Not open for further replies.

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
After Joe Pa, who even cares anymore.

Now Bobby Bowden wants his wins back too

Posted by Kevin McGuire on January 20, 2015, 10:08 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptgwzdvlngu5yzlhowvimjawmzzmytmyzmrlnzm1y2m0.jpeg

Vacating victories from a team or coach has always been a silly punishment handed down by the NCAA. You simply cannot just erase history, although you can rewrite it. Wins either happen or they do not. They do not vanish from thin air, as the NCAA would like for you to believe. Rarely does the NCAA hand vacated victories back, but that is just what it did last week. The NCAA restored 112 victories stripped from Penn State, 111 of which belonged to former head coach Joe Paterno.

Now Bobby Bowden wants his 12 wins back too.

“I’m all for Joe getting his hundred wins back and me getting my 12 back,” Bowden said to Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi on Monday.

“It always felt like there should be asterisk beside it,” Bowden said, regarding his former title as major college football’s all-time wins leader after Paterno had 111 victories vacated by the NCAA. Bowden, a friend of Paterno for years, has been on record saying he never wanted that title the way it happened. “When I would give a speech and be introduced as the all-time winningest coach, it never felt right to me.”

Now Bowden just wants the record to reflect his true record, which would include 388 all-time wins. Bowden would still be ranked second all-time in major college football coaching victories, but at least the record books would be legitimate.

Reaction Score

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptgwzdvlngu5yzlhowvimjawmzzmytmyzmrlnzm1y2m0.jpeg

Vacating victories from a team or coach has always been a silly punishment handed down by the NCAA. You simply cannot just erase history, although you can rewrite it. Wins either happen or they do not. They do not vanish from thin air, as the NCAA would like for you to believe. Rarely does the NCAA hand vacated victories back, but that is just what it did last week. The NCAA restored 112 victories stripped from Penn State, 111 of which belonged to former head coach Joe Paterno.

“I’m all for Joe getting his hundred wins back and me getting my 12 back,” Bowden said to Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi on Monday.

“It always felt like there should be asterisk beside it,” Bowden said, regarding his former title as major college football’s all-time wins leader after Paterno had 111 victories vacated by the NCAA. Bowden, a friend of Paterno for years, has been on record saying he never wanted that title the way it happened. “When I would give a speech and be introduced as the all-time winningest coach, it never felt right to me.”

Now Bowden just wants the record to reflect his true record, which would include 388 all-time wins. Bowden would still be ranked second all-time in major college football coaching victories, but at least the record books would be legitimate.

Perfect - I can see Emmert squirming!

Reaction Score
Clams Calipari will want his final 4's back too. Where will it end?

Reaction Score

Give Bowden his 12 wins back but then take 35 away for his club team games against U. of Mexico and also trade schools that don't even exist. If you're going to count games against teams that aren't even D3, then you have to give it to Eddie Robinson of Grambling who won more than Paterno and Bowden.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Screw the wins. Joe Paterno 'knew'. I wish he was still alive if for no other reason then the old bastard could rot in jail.
I doubt the old bastard would be in jail. The prosecutors even said there was no evidence that the guy broke the law. We may be able to pick up our torches and pitchforks, but that doesn't cut it in the legal system.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's nasty bj I mean pj.
Well it would explain why she's always cleaning herself.

"I feel so dirty..."

Reaction Score
FSU President talks about an ACC Network. Goal is for 2016:

Although he wasn't serving in an official capacity with FSU in 2013, when Barron locked the school into the ACC by signing a long-term Grant of Rights agreement, Thrasher said he is excited about the future of the conference. He was particularly encouraged by a recent visit from the ACC's television consultant, who is working with ESPN on creating a cable network similar to those operated by the SEC and Big Ten.

"I think that's a viable thing," Thrasher said. "They're working hard on it. Whether we can get it up and running by 2016, I don't know. But that's the goal. … We're excited about that. And I'll tell you, that would be a big boom to us in terms of revenue to do that. We're going to work hard on that."

As it turns out, Thrasher's political clout could help make that venture become a reality. Because every state has its own laws and cable networks, Thrasher said the ACC's consultant wanted to know if he could help the conference clear any potential obstacles in Florida.

He does, after all, have more than 20 years' experience in state politics, including a term as Speaker of the House.

"I think I'm probably in a pretty good position to help out there, at least right now," Thrasher said with a chuckle. "I have a little bit of shelf life left with those guys down there."

https://floridastate com/content.asp?CID=1727596

CL82

Reaction Score
FSU President talks about an ACC Network. Goal is for 2016:

"I think that's a viable thing," Thrasher said. "They're working hard on it. Whether we can get it up and running by 2016, I don't know. But that's the goal. … We're excited about that. And I'll tell you, that would be a big boom to us in terms of revenue to do that. We need to get this done by 2016, otherwise we will lack the leverage to lure Connecticut over to the ACC. We can't let the Big Ten get them and lock down the New York City market in their next TV contract. Whoever has UConn has NYC. We're going to work hard on that."

Wow, I didn't notice the reference to UConn in the first read. That's good news.

Reaction Score
You are dreaming - nothing said about UConn. If someone is trolling out there with this, the hottest corner of hell is too good for you.

Go yourself

CL82 made a joke, that's all. It's what the ACC should be saying.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82 made a joke, that's all. It's what the ACC should be saying.
It was implied.....

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Excuse me but I just have to ask. How on earth does one just happen to find an article about UConn from the BC student paper less than 12 hours after it is posted? Do you read their campus paper daily just in case?
uconn blog tweeted it out this morning

Reaction Score
That article, about a Boston school in a Boston paper, generated zero comments.
One of my best friends went to BC and lives in Boston. Saturday's hockey game was the first BC sporting event he's been to since graduating in 2010 after being a Superfan and attending about 90% of football hockey and hoops games. Oh btw he was cheering for UConn with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom