Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you an assistant coach? Player, maybe? I mean you seem to know what happened in practice so I presume you were there...or maybe you just have a dorm room that overlooks the practice field!;) Nobody is defending Mac. he was generally not very good. But that doesn't in any way shape or form imply that anyone else was better. It means the pickin's were pretty slim last year. this year's recruiting seems very much to be aimed at addressing that issue going forward, which is what you want a coach to do.

I read the newspapers, listen to the quotes of our coaches and know a number of folks in and around the program.

If Nebrich was horrible, why was he in competition for the starting job up until the Buffalo game? It's a simple question, have an answer?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I wonder if the basketball board would be content with 2 and 3 star student athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Last in February. First in December. I'll take that trade every day of the year.

Reaction Score
I didn't edit ****. I hit "Reply". The settings don't display two levels of quotes.

As far as proving points -- you quoted one random poster in another thread to make an irrelevant point in a different thread. That's not preemptive? Stuff like that is quickly making the board unreadable.

Sure it's irrelevant. And sure he's the only one.

But you're right, it's the posts like the following that really make the board an enjoyable place.

I accepted the Big East way of accounting for championships in the other thread. When teams have the same league record in the Big East they share the championship. By that accounting we won 1/3 of a championship in 2010 and 1/2 of a championship in 2007. Adding those two together we have won .833 of a championship to date. By my less accurate way of accounting we would have won one full championship, but I now acknowledge and accept the 83% of a championship per the Big East method.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the basketball board would be content with 2 and 3 star student athletes.

Seems fair, comparing the relative development and age of the two programs at the Division 1/1A level. Not to mention the huge disparity of numbers that needs to be integrated around the ball associated with each sport.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Strawman nonsense.

Reaction Score
Last in February. First in December. I'll take that trade every day of the year.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you except we weren't first.....nowhere near actually

So this year RU won the battle in Feb AND Dec.....not a good trend

Reaction Score
I'm not happy to be "below the radar" because it usually just means we're undermanned. I think the question needs to be asked and answered by the AD and the administration what do we need to do to improve our recruiting. I'm sure they are doing that to some extent, but satisfaction with the status quo is a recipe for failure. I'm all for loyalty but blind loyalty might get you run over by that light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still optomistic and willing to give PP 3 years to show what they can do. But hoping for the best doesn't mean ignoring areas for improvement.

Let me edit to say I think there are a few studs in this group and impact transfers, but also some questionmarks with little outside interest. Are we better going for quantity or saving a couple of schollys for quality in the future?

Agreed. Seems that each year there a many "blind loyalists" that think that if the UConn coaches sign 'em up, that's good enough. Never want to consider that the list is simply "the best they could get" (meaning nowhere near what regulars to the Top 25 would pull in).

Now, this is really PP's first class, so we'll take a wait and see. It looks like it's an upgrade but still not widely respected by people who follow these things closely. This will get some folks riled up I'm sure (the "In Randy we trusted and now in Paul). These are the same folks, however, that got treated to the same UConn God-Awful, inept, offense that the more impatient of us had to suffer through. How many games this past season did the defense produce more TD's than the offense?

Reaction Score
Who would want to come play for an old man coach for a team that couldn't complete forward passes the last two years and is staring at playing in a ridiculously bad conference going forward in front of a half empty stadium?

There's the counter-recruiting pitch used by any coach who is looking at similar kids as Uconn.

Sad, but all too close to the truth. Ultimately UConn's breakthrough into becoming the program we all think it can become, will lie in getting a charasmatic coach who can sell big time recruits on the probably of getting on the field sooner, the better opportunity to build a legacy in their name (instead of someone who went before them) and the chance to play for an exciting program that has captured a region's attention. For UConn, it will not be about the conference (not right now anyway), it will not be about the facilities (stadium is cute, but oh so tiny), it will not be about multiple national TV exposures (although that can change quickly with wins), it will come about because of one primary variable - the head coach.

Reaction Score
Just find a QB. Find a QB, and the rest will work itself out. See: UConn 2007. See : UConn w/ Orlovksy.

Reaction Score
Sad, but all too close to the truth. Ultimately UConn's breakthrough into becoming the program we all think it can become, will lie in getting a charasmatic coach who can sell big time recruits on the probably of getting on the field sooner, the better opportunity to build a legacy in their name and the chance to play for an exciting program that has capture a region's attention.

Or the breakthrough season could occur if one of our 4 young QB's steps up and produces in a meaningfull way next year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Clearly, there will be players with lower star rankings who are successful in college and beyond. Victor Cruz is actually a poor example as he was an undrafted FA out of college- not like he set the world on fire at UMass. Better examples would be Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Sean Weatherspoon, Donald Brown, Kellen Moore, Nick Fairley, and yes, Matt Ryan, all three-star and below kids who had very successful college careers. Quantitatively speaking, there are so many three stars and below players that some will blossom into stars. It is, however, anecdotal. There is absolutely a correlation between star ratings and success at the collegiate level.

There are also indeed examples where a kid is underrated by recruiting services, commits to a name program, and subsequently experiences a jump in ratings. Yes, some of that is pandering to lucrative fan bases, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that maybe, just maybe, college coaching staffs get paid huge bucks to evaluate recruits and are ahead of the recruiting services sometimes in terms of evaluating kids. FWIW, I can't remember a whole lot of incidents where a kid jumped from 2* to 4* just because they committed to a big time school.

A lot of factors contribute to a kid's success at the next level. Many schools are able to out-perform what would be predicted based on their recruiting. At times, UConn has been of that number. Hopefully, that will continue to be the case going forward because the barriers to UConn bringing in four and five-star talent aren't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Its the guy's first recruiting class here, allow him to define a trend.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
espns just hasn't updated our class at all. they have ppl as signed but alot of nr's and jc's. most of the guys that have yet to get stars have gotten 3* from someone else so we already know they can play. espn just hating on uconn while they love the acc...

Reaction Score
Clearly, there will be players with lower star rankings who are successful in college and beyond. Victor Cruz is actually a poor example as he was an undrafted FA out of college- not like he set the world on fire at UMass. Better examples would be Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Sean Weatherspoon, Donald Brown, Kellen Moore, Nick Fairley, and yes, Matt Ryan, all three-star and below kids who had very successful college careers. Quantitatively speaking, there are so many three stars and below players that some will blossom into stars. It is, however, anecdotal. There is absolutely a correlation between star ratings and success at the collegiate level.

There are also indeed examples where a kid is underrated by recruiting services, commits to a name program, and subsequently experiences a jump in ratings. Yes, some of that is pandering to lucrative fan bases, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that maybe, just maybe, college coaching staffs get paid huge bucks to evaluate recruits and are ahead of the recruiting services sometimes in terms of evaluating kids. FWIW, I can't remember a whole lot of incidents where a kid jumped from 2* to 4* just because they committed to a big time school.

A lot of factors contribute to a kid's success at the next level. Many schools are able to out-perform what would be predicted based on their recruiting. At times, UConn has been of that number. Hopefully, that will continue to be the case going forward because the barriers to UConn bringing in four and five-star talent aren't going anywhere.

I can think of one of the top of my head; Akeem Dent, a LB out of Georgia that UConn was recruiting a few years back. When UConn was his only major offer, he was only a 2-star, but when UGA jumped in with a late offer, he was suddenly a 4-star player. There have been many others that gained a star when someone other than UConn came in late with an offer (after being unranked or only 2-star when UConn was his "best" offer), but that one stands out because it was so glaringly obvious.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this year the TE we got who switched to OK. his stars jumped big time.

Reaction Score
I think really the star system probably works best for skill positions, and not even perfectly there. And it probably works worst for interior linemen on both sides of the ball but particularly offfense. For the interior lines in most cases you are taking a kid, projecting what he will do 2-3 years out carrying 20-30 additonal pounds. There are to be sure certain things you look for, but trying to project how a guy will handle the additonal size and strength is very tricky business. Case in point is Levy who is listed at 6-6,280. My guess is that he bulks up to at least 305 by the time he sees the field. How does he handle that extra weight? Does it impact his speed? agility? Quickness? On the other hand, quarterbacks, recievers, running backs there are more specific measurables you can evaluate. they aren't perfect, but they are easier than projecting aperformance under very different physical conditions.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I would wholeheartedly agree with you except we weren't first.....nowhere near actually

So this year RU won the battle in Feb AND Dec.....not a good trend

?

RU was 3rd (?) in the standings this year. They didn't win anything in December (including their game against us, although that was November)

And we have finished first in the standings twice in December after recruiting the "worst" class in the BE the February prior...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

LOL the basketball board that had Calhoun dead and buried and said he couldn't recruit anymore the season before they won a National Championship. Yeah, they weren't content 2 years ago - they can't be wrong!

Quite possibly the funniest thing about message boards, including this one, are the posters who think that somehow if the fans demand a better team they get it.

Reaction Score
LOL the basketball board that had Calhoun dead and buried and said he couldn't recruit anymore the season before they won a National Championship. Yeah, they weren't content 2 years ago - they can't be wrong!

Quite possibly the funniest thing about message boards, including this one, are the posters who think that somehow if the fans demand a better team they get it.

You could not be more right sir! The "chest thumpers" run rampant.

Reaction Score
I can think of one of the top of my head; Akeem Dent, a LB out of Georgia that UConn was recruiting a few years back. When UConn was his only major offer, he was only a 2-star, but when UGA jumped in with a late offer, he was suddenly a 4-star player. There have been many others that gained a star when someone other than UConn came in late with an offer (after being unranked or only 2-star when UConn was his "best" offer), but that one stands out because it was so glaringly obvious.
I forgot about Dent just looked him up...his senior year at UGA here are his stats
Lead team in tackles with 126
6.5 tackles for Loss
2.5 Sacks
2nd in SEC in tackles per game 9.7
2011 NFL Draft
Atlanta Falcons
3rd Round (91st Pick Overall)

Reaction Score
I think really the star system probably works best for skill positions, and not even perfectly there. And it probably works worst for interior linemen on both sides of the ball but particularly offfense. For the interior lines in most cases you are taking a kid, projecting what he will do 2-3 years out carrying 20-30 additonal pounds. There are to be sure certain things you look for, but trying to project how a guy will handle the additonal size and strength is very tricky business. Case in point is Levy who is listed at 6-6,280. My guess is that he bulks up to at least 305 by the time he sees the field. How does he handle that extra weight? Does it impact his speed? agility? Quickness? On the other hand, quarterbacks, recievers, running backs there are more specific measurables you can evaluate. they aren't perfect, but they are easier than projecting aperformance under very different physical conditions.

Key thing about Levy from recruiting bio put out by UConn today...he wrestles in High School. If he wrestles at 6-6 280, and he has a year in Jerry Martin's strength and conditioning program...he will be interesting to watch at 300+ .
The one thing we are EXTREMELY LUCKY to have in our program is Jerry Martin. He is one of the most highly regarded strength and conditioning coaches in the country.

Reaction Score
I'd rather never finish 5-7 again. But if I go 5-7, I could care less how many stars my players had coming out of high school. Ratings are, if useful at all, useful to predict the future. Once the future occurs, why would anyone care how it was predicted to have gone?

"Once the future occurs, why would anyone care how it was predicted to have gone?" Boy is that a dumb comment. (Please differentiate from your tirades on other posters, I didn't say you were dumb) So Miami Heat projected to win it all this season and they lose in 1st round of playoffs. Cleveland predicted to not make the playoffs wins a series. So your saying just take that result as it is and why discuss "how it was predicted to have gone". You predicted a winning season for Uconn football, you spent a lot of time explaining "what happened that you didn't expect" in the JMc lead 5-7 results? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom