Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who would want to come play for an old man coach for a team that couldn't complete forward passes the last two years and is staring at playing in a ridiculously bad conference going forward in front of a half empty stadium?

There's the counter-recruiting pitch used by any coach who is looking at similar kids as Uconn.

You have to take into consideration the turmoil that the staff was working against. But it didn't seem to impact Rutty and others the same as it did us. That's why my concern is more moving forward than just this year. Hopefully we filled some holes for this year and can rationally discuss the class by position, needs filled and unfilled later today. We'll see if the groundwork has been laid for future classes.

Reaction Score
Yes. Like some preemptive strike against anyone who may have the nerve to point out some qualifying facts that do in fact matter in the eyes of the rest of the country. The two aren't mutually exclusive. We did in fact make a BCS bowl in a year where we beat nobody of consequence nationally and were in the worst BCS conference ever.

LMAO

Preemptive strike? As if this stuff is never said by our own fans??

And we have won one Big East Championship to date, to say we have two is an insult to human intelligence regardless of what some clerk in the Big East office says.

Like I said, keep things in perspective. Don't mention the success we've had without doing your best to show they aren't legitimate anyway. That's what real fans do.

Reaction Score
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he's been going on and on about the empty stadium for months. He said the stadium would be empty for Rutgers. It was full. We fill the stadium for Fordham for goodness sakes.

What does not completing a forward pass under Edsall, have to do with Pasqualoni? Want proof it doesn't matter? Shakim Phillips. Bryce McNeal. Chandler Whitmer. Casey Cochran. Yes, QB's and WR's are sprinting away from UConn in all directions.

Reaction Score
Our inability to close with kids that decide late shows a weakness in our recruiting process.

P. being frozen in the headlights in the Vandy game and losing, then stubbornly sticking with Johnnie Mac helped kill the momentum of the BCS win.

For all we know, Nebrich and McCummings were absolutely horrible in practice. Not that it'd stop you from statements which sound suspiciously like you know better.

Reaction Score
Ranking don't mean everything, but for everyone to just blow them off is foolish as well IMHO.

Some kids want to go and be the "big fish" in the small pond, but most athletes (see Miami Heat) want to be around other players that are either as good as them or as highly thought of as them. Other coaches at "undesirable" schools have been able to pull it off, but even with the success we have had int he past 5 years our coaches haven't been able to turn the corner.

Maybe P will win 10 games and next year will be his year.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but what in Hades makes Wisconsin so attractive to recruits? How do they pull it off?

If they can do it, so can UConn. No excuses, no explanations....

you have obviously never been to Madison, Wisconsin. One of the best campuses in the nation. Mix in that stadium on gameday(insane) and a nice tradition, and you have it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is a list of recruiting budgets out there on the innertubes. I recall the top teams you'd recognize spend about twice what we do in recruiting. We can start there.

We will never beat the top SEC teams head to head on a regular basis for recruits, just on weather and geography.

But, we should be beating out BC, RU, SU in the NY/New England area and taking a number of recruits from PA, DC and NJ with some under the radar guys from FL and Texas. That should be enough.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
LMAO

Like I said, keep things in perspective. Don't mention the success we've had without doing your best to show they aren't legitimate anyway. That's what real fans do.

Right. Like I said, Stop

Reaction Score
you have obviously never been to Madison, Wisconsin. One of the best campuses in the nation. Mix in that stadium on gameday(insane) and a nice tradition, and you have it.

Kind of like asking what is the big draw to State College, PA or Columbus, OH. Only 40k+ undergrads, a great college town and football crazed fans that fill up 100k stadiums every Saturday. Other than that, not much for a HS football recruit.

The Courant interview of Tom Lemming yesterday says it all. He has been ranking recruits well before Scout or Rivals even existed as companies. I know they are his "competition", but he verifies everything we say about how online player rankings are BS. They tailor to the teams that give the sites the most revenue, so if a kid commits to ND as a 2 star recuit, he is a 4 star the next day compared to if he committed to UConn staying the same ranking. As Lemming says, there is nothing these kids have done in one day to jump in star rankings other than some guy behind a computer juicing up the stars after committing to a big name school. Most of these "experts" have never even seen these kids play let alone can evaluate there star rankings. All it takes is one "expert" to rank a kid high and the others jump on board because they do no due diligence and want to keep up with the other sites. Other than the top 100-150 recruits who are truly evaluated and often interviewed, it is all mostly garbage.

Reaction Score
Any of you guys read Lemming's comments in this morning's Hartford Courant? sort of puts this ranking, and the whole star system, in perspective. I like his comment that UCONN recruits like Iowa, finds guys who fit their needs and recruit them. He also comments on how where you commit to influences your stars and finally has some nice comments on guys we signed, particularly the linebackers whom he implies shouldbe rated higher.

Reaction Score
Right. Like I said, bull****
LMAO

Is there a reason you edited my post in your response? That's a rhetorical question. Of course there's a reason, you had to delete the part that proves my point.

Reaction Score
For all we know, Nebrich and McCummings were absolutely horrible in practice. Not that it'd stop you from statements which sound suspiciously like you know better.
Hey, Loop, knock it off. pal saw Nebrich play in high school and he completed lots of passes agianst 16 year old corner backs who won't play beyond high school. Ergo, he would automatically do the same agianst BCS competition.

Reaction Score
LMAO

Is there a reason you edited my post in your response? That's a rhetorical question. Of course there's a reason, you had to delete the part that proves my point.

I didn't edit . I hit "Reply". The settings don't display two levels of quotes.

As far as proving points -- you quoted one random poster in another thread to make an irrelevant point in a different thread. That's not preemptive? Stuff like that is quickly making the board unreadable.

Reaction Score
@BHusky
Well said. I agree with everything you wrote. My problem with people who say that stars don't matter is that, if we ever reach a level where we are getting ND level recruits, those same fans will be defending the star system. I would rather have the stars and go 5-7 than not have them and go...5-7.

Reaction Score
Kind of like asking what is the big draw to State College, PA or Columbus, OH. Only 40k+ undergrads, a great college town and football crazed fans that fill up 100k stadiums every Saturday. Other than that, not much for a HS football recruit.

The Courant interview of Tom Lemming yesterday says it all. He has been ranking recruits well before Scout or Rivals even existed as companies. I know they are his "competition", but he verifies everything we say about how online player rankings are BS. They tailor to the teams that give the sites the most revenue, so if a kid commits to ND as a 2 star recuit, he is a 4 star the next day compared to if he committed to UConn staying the same ranking. As Lemming says, there is nothing these kids have done in one day to jump in star rankings other than some guy behind a computer juicing up the stars after committing to a big name school. Most of these "experts" have never even seen these kids play let alone can evaluate there star rankings. All it takes is one "expert" to rank a kid high and the others jump on board because they do no due diligence and want to keep up with the other sites. Other than the top 100-150 recruits who are truly evaluated and often interviewed, it is all mostly garbage.

Thank you for mentioning this BHusky....the article in the Courant is a must read for anyone that is criticizing our recruiting based on the rankings that follow this BS "star" system. If this star system was so accurate then Victor Cruz(1 star) or Matt Ryan (2 stars) should not be on a single NFL roster. Let these kids get on the field before you start saying they cant play because some guy behind a desk who has never seen them play decide "well this guy must be a 2 star. I mean he commited to UConn but this other player is a 4 star because he is on scholarship at ND."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-recruit-0201-20120131,0,3497347.story

Reaction Score
Hey, Loop, knock it off. pal saw Nebrich play in high school and he completed lots of passes agianst 16 year old corner backs who won't play beyond high school. Ergo, he would automatically do the same agianst BCS competition.

Nebrich had better skills than Mac last year. And he wasn't "horrible" in practice.

I love how you guys defend a QB that was at the bottom of the NCAA ranking last year. Made game losing mistakes. Never improved. And led the team to a losing record.

With that kind of analysis, you would probably decide to take a seat on the Challenger.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We're arguing about which of last season's QBs sucked worse on signing day.

Awesome.

Reaction Score
LMAO

I accepted the Big East way of accounting for championships in the other thread. When teams have the same league record in the Big East they share the championship. By that accounting we won 1/3 of a championship in 2010 and 1/2 of a championship in 2007. Adding those two together we have won .833 of a championship to date. By my less accurate way of accounting we would have won one full championship, but I now acknowledge and accept the 83% of a championship per the Big East method.

Reaction Score
@BHusky
Well said. I agree with everything you wrote. My problem with people who say that stars don't matter is that, if we ever reach a level where we are getting ND level recruits, those same fans will be defending the star system. I would rather have the stars and go 5-7 than not have them and go...5-7.

I'd rather never finish 5-7 again. But if I go 5-7, I could care less how many stars my players had coming out of high school. Ratings are, if useful at all, useful to predict the future. Once the future occurs, why would anyone care how it was predicted to have gone?

Reaction Score
Nebrich had better skills than Mac last year. And he wasn't "horrible" in practice.

I love how you guys defend a QB that was at the bottom of the NCAA ranking last year. Made game losing mistakes. Never improved. And led the team to a losing record.

With that kind of analysis, you would probably decide to take a seat on the Challenger.
Are you an assistant coach? Player, maybe? I mean you seem to know what happened in practice so I presume you were there...or maybe you just have a dorm room that overlooks the practice field!;) Nobody is defending Mac. he was generally not very good. But that doesn't in any way shape or form imply that anyone else was better. It means the pickin's were pretty slim last year. this year's recruiting seems very much to be aimed at addressing that issue going forward, which is what you want a coach to do.

Reaction Score
I'd rather never finish 5-7 again. But if I go 5-7, I could care less how many stars my players had coming out of high school. Ratings are, if useful at all, useful to predict the future. Once the future occurs, why would anyone care how it was predicted to have gone?

I think we can all agree that star gazing at recruits cannot be avoided because that is most of the college discussion for the end of the regular season to early February. Teams want to win games and they want to win in recruiting. It would be fun to sit back and see how many 4-5 star recruits UConn could get and dream of the future BCS games with those kids playing. Having not landed those recruits it is easier to see the reality of recruiting and how it often a pure guessing game. But I can also see how you can get caught up in the hype of these highly rated kids if you were a school hording them like Alabama and LSU.

I am not sure if Boise State could have predicted BCS wins and top 10 finishes with these recruit rankings since 2002. So I am hoping UConn is in the same boat.

2011201020092008200720062005200420032002Average
58* 97 60 64 57 78 73 72 73 75 70.7

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's a chicken vs. egg thing... do great programs become great programs because they recruit 5* kids... or do kids become 5* because they go to great programs.. I mean every year teams like FSU, Miami, and Notre Dame get top 25 recruiting classes... most of the time top 10 recruiting classes... and they've been pretty mediocre. I think it has far more to do with the strengths and weaknesses of the coaches evaluating the talent and choosing the kids than some arbitrary number some self professed internet expert puts on the kid.

What must Bear Bryant have done without Bob Lichtenfels and Mike Farrell to tell him who was a great football player!? It must have been pure luck!

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that star gazing at recruits cannot be avoided because that is most of the college discussion for the end of the regular season to early February. Teams want to win games and they want to win in recruiting. It would be fun to sit back and see how many 4-5 star recruits UConn could get and dream of the future BCS games with those kids playing. Having not landed those recruits it is easier to see the reality of recruiting and how it often a pure guessing game. But I can also see how you can get caught up in the hype of these highly rated kids if you were a school hording them like Alabama and LSU.

I am not sure if Boise State could have predicted BCS wins and top 10 finishes with these recruit rankings since 2002. So I am hoping UConn is in the same boat.

2011201020092008200720062005200420032002Average
58* 97 60 64 57 78 73 72 73 75 70.7

In case I wasn't clear, I do not ignore star ratings as predictors. They are somewhere between 0% and 100% effective, but there is certainly some statistically significant correlation. But once I've seen the player on the field, it becomes of zero importance. I don't take any joy in "winning" recruiting -- "winning" recruiting only makes you optimistic for the upcoming seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom