Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU | The Boneyard

Uconn # 8 in BE according to ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is it frustrating? Why is there a supposed need to be respected by folks who do little, if any, evalautions of the kids being recruited. I am quite happy to operate below the radar - I continue to hope the media and the opponents underestimate UConn.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Two league trophies and a BCS berth in the last five years, according to the record books.

Report that, ESPN...

Reaction Score
Two league trophies and a BCS berth in the last five years, according to the record books.

Report that, ESPN...

You forgot to mention we were the "worst" BCS team ever, and one of those trophies was given to us by a Big East secretary and therefore doesn't count.

UConn fans need to keep these things in perspective, so as to not actually be proud of what was accomplished by a guy they just don't like.

Reaction Score
It's going to take a long time to make UConn an attractive recruiting area. We're pretty new, and unlike say, USF, we aren't exactly in a recruiting hotbed. Honestly, I think we've made some pretty good strides. We're already pulling ahead of BC in recruiting, which is a start. Next, we need to start competing and beating the RU's and PSU's of the world. It isn't going to happen overnight, and Coach P isn't suddenly going to make UConn Football the next great thing. Probably not, anyway.

We just need patience, and the program just needs our support. If we follow through with that, these things will come in time. I hope.

Reaction Score
It's going to take a long time to make UConn an attractive recruiting area. We're pretty new, and unlike say, USF, we aren't exactly in a recruiting hotbed. Honestly, I think we've made some pretty good strides. We're already pulling ahead of BC in recruiting, which is a start. Next, we need to start competing and beating the RU's and PSU's of the world. It isn't going to happen overnight, and Coach P isn't suddenly going to make UConn Football the next great thing. Probably not, anyway.

We just need patience, and the program just needs our support. If we follow through with that, these things will come in time. I hope.

well said Irish. This is what I had intended to convey in my long post at the beginning of the Clax thread.

Reaction Score
Why is it frustrating? Why is there a supposed need to be respected by folks who do little, if any, evalautions of the kids being recruited. I am quite happy to operate below the radar - I continue to hope the media and the opponents underestimate UConn.

I'm not happy to be "below the radar" because it usually just means we're undermanned. I think the question needs to be asked and answered by the AD and the administration what do we need to do to improve our recruiting. I'm sure they are doing that to some extent, but satisfaction with the status quo is a recipe for failure. I'm all for loyalty but blind loyalty might get you run over by that light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still optomistic and willing to give PP 3 years to show what they can do. But hoping for the best doesn't mean ignoring areas for improvement.

Let me edit to say I think there are a few studs in this group and impact transfers, but also some questionmarks with little outside interest. Are we better going for quantity or saving a couple of schollys for quality in the future?

Reaction Score
You forgot to mention we were the "worst" BCS team ever, and one of those trophies was given to us by a Big East secretary and therefore doesn't count.

UConn fans need to keep these things in perspective, so as to not actually be proud of what was accomplished by a guy they just don't like.

Stop.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but what in Hades makes Wisconsin so attractive to recruits? How do they pull it off?

If they can do it, so can UConn. No excuses, no explanations....

Reaction Score
After a decade and all the success we've had is it too much to expect to be #7? Recruiting isn't everything but we should at least be ranked higher in the Big East where we've done so much. We need to get into the national picture and we won't do that without at least dominating our own league, not finishin 8/8 justabout every year. I really though HCPP was supposed to raise our recruiting expectations but it appears the fanbase feels otherwise. We have reached milestones other teams can only dream of. When do we brush off the "we're new to this" attitude.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Reaction Score
And yes, I do feel bad posting this on National Signing Day - we do have some great kids coming in.

Reaction Score
After a decade and all the success we've had is it too much to expect to be #7? Recruiting isn't everything but we should at least be ranked higher in the Big East where we've done so much. We need to get into the national picture and we won't do that without at least dominating our own league, not finishin 8/8 justabout every year. I really though HCPP was supposed to raise our recruiting expectations but it appears the fanbase feels otherwise. We have reached milestones other teams can only dream of. When do we brush off the "we're new to this" attitude.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

We're 7th according to Scout.com, so there you go.

Reaction Score
Usually it's the first few years where coaches can sell all the delusional dreams of conference championships and national titles. :p

After that recruiting gets harder. Unless you're winning of course.

Reaction Score
It's really amazing how many times we've been ranked dead last in the big east in recruiting, how few times we've actually finished dead last in the standings, and the fact some of our fans forget that and get pissed off anyway year after year when are ranked last.

If we move up to 5 or 6, does that mean we're finally BCS bowl ready?

Reaction Score
It's really amazing how many times we've been ranked dead last in the big east in recruiting, how few times we've actually finished dead last in the standings, and the fact some of our fans forget that and get pissed off anyway year after year when are ranked last.

I guess the thought process is if we achieved "X" with a class ranked 8th, imagine where we'd be with a class ranked ____ .

Reaction Score
What's bull****?

The sarcasm in my post?

Yes. Like some preemptive strike against anyone who may have the nerve to point out some qualifying facts that do in fact matter in the eyes of the rest of the country. The two aren't mutually exclusive. We did in fact make a BCS bowl in a year where we beat nobody of consequence nationally and were in the worst BCS conference ever.

Reaction Score
Our inability to close with kids that decide late shows a weakness in our recruiting process.

P. being frozen in the headlights in the Vandy game and losing, then stubbornly sticking with Johnnie Mac helped kill the momentum of the BCS win.

Reaction Score
Who would want to come play for an old man coach for a team that couldn't complete forward passes the last two years and is staring at playing in a ridiculously bad conference going forward in front of a half empty stadium?

There's the counter-recruiting pitch used by any coach who is looking at similar kids as Uconn.

Reaction Score
If you are truly upset that guys who get "paid" to rank classes and get little income from UConn rank us low, then well you simply do not get it. Read the Lemming article in the Courant. Stop crying about the 1AA talent we draw and start watching the 1A talent we put out on the field. You want to be ND and have a top 10 class every year or do you want to win?

If it helps you sleep at night, I would rank our class higher than 8th. And higher than 7th. Fell better? I know as much about these kids as does the pimple faced kid at Scout.

Reaction Score

Yeah, good call, wing. I admit I've gotten caught up in the bs. At the end of the day the only thing that matters are W's. Last year was a down-tick... Lol. BUT the trend line is on a upswing, IMO.

Reaction Score
Who would want to come play for an old man coach for a team that couldn't complete forward passes the last two years and is staring at playing in a ridiculously bad conference going forward in front of a half empty stadium?

There's the counter-recruiting pitch used by any coach who is looking at similar kids as Uconn.

So much fail in this post.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I agree. BC sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog