UConn #13 in latest AP poll | The Boneyard

UConn #13 in latest AP poll

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

NGL, this week is a bit baffling:
  • We beat 3 teams, 2 ranked, by impressive margins, all with winning records (setting aside NET, etc), and we move down a spot
  • UNC beats 2 lower ranked teams (a shorthanded ND) and moves up from UR to 20
  • WV loses 2x and stays at 24
  • FSU loses and moves up 1
  • NCSU moves down 3 after losing to #12 VA Tech
  • MSU loses and goes from 9 to 23 votes
Others receiving votes - Vanderbilt 38, Michigan St. 23, Oregon St. 15, Syracuse 15, TCU 11, Arizona 8, California 6, Princeton 4, Nebraska 3, Davidson 3, Maryland 2, Fairfield 2, Miami 1, Texas A&M 1, Washington 1.

Reaction Score
Thinking What GIF by H.E.R.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no reason we should have dropped down a spot except absolute disrespect. I'm not even saying we should be in the top 5. I would have been fine with them staying at 12. But dropping down?? After 3 big wins, 2 against ranked opponents??

stupid sex and the city GIF

Reaction Score
I don’t think this has anything to do with disrespecting UConn. UConn moved down because Virginia Tech was rewarded for beating NC State. It’s nothing to do with anything that UConn either did or didn’t do. NC State was not going to drop below UConn, so we went down one spot. All of the other teams above us won they’re games.

Reaction Score
Just saw the latest AP poll. It is beyond baffling…..
id like to hear the reason for the drop. That was why Iowa went up a spot.
Dropped one because VT was rewarded for their victory over highly ranked North carolina State, a team that Uconn failed to beat. Other than Kansas State, most of the teams ranked above Uconn have a good argument for being there, not to say that Uconn wouldn't beat several of them

Reaction Score
I think the reality at this point is we will not gain much from beating Big East competition. I'm not sure if losing once in conference wouldn't hurt as much as running the table in conference would help. There are probably only two games that can move the needle much, the out of conference games against Notre Dame and South Carolina.

Now the other top teams generally face their tough in conference competition now, so a few teams might suffer multiple losses and fall behind us,, but we only have two big games left. Getting a #2 seed might be our realistic ceiling unless we beat South Carolina.

Reaction Score

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This poll is a complete joke We lost to 3 top teams and have won more games against top teams then any other team infront of us in the polls. The pollsters are not doing their homework. Theyre going through the motions. We need a Boneyard poll or you can just use my top 10 poll which I havent put out yet. UConn is a different team now and much better then the team that they were in those losses. Right now I feel UConn is a top 5 team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Perspective-last week, we had 469 points, this week we have 487 so we gained 18 points. KSU had 519 last week, has 513 this week and lost 6 points and had games against Oklahoma and Texas this week.

Stop acting all "conspiracy theory" as given we lost a key piece of our team, the voters still voted for us. Give Virginia Tech credit for beating a team we couldn't. That was by far their best win and given how inconsistent they have been, I expect a loss to a middling ACC team to occur.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Our ranking brought down by mostly west coast voters. However Emily (of the Hartford Courant) has us at #18??? WTF
And has Marquette ahead of us.
Something interesting...there are no changes for any team on Emily's and Rebecca's ballot. "That don't make no sense."
I didn't look at anyone else's ballot.

Reaction Score
Perspective-last week, we had 469 points, this week we have 487 so we gained 18 points. KSU had 519 last week, has 513 this week and lost 6 points and had games against Oklahoma and Texas this week.

Stop acting all "conspiracy theory" as given we lost a key piece of our team, the voters still voted for us. Give Virginia Tech credit for beating a team we couldn't. That was by far their best win and given how inconsistent they have been, I expect a loss to a middling ACC team to occur.
They beat them without River Baldwin and i believe by 1 point?

Reaction Score

Virginia Tech beat NC State at home with a key starter for NC State.

Reaction Score
I don’t think this has anything to do with disrespecting UConn. UConn moved down because Virginia Tech was rewarded for beating NC State. It’s nothing to do with anything that UConn either did or didn’t do. NC State was not going to drop below UConn, so we went down one spot. All of the other teams above us won they’re games.
Agree, but it also shows less respect for the BE.

Reaction Score
I think the AP poll is flawed pretty badly, but I don't think there's an "Anti-Uconn" bias or whatever everyone's accusing.

The AP voters clearly don't vote based on eye test or even MOV. If you beat teams ranked ahead of you, you move up, if you lose to teams ranked below you, you move down.

Therefore VT beating FSU (at home, on a buzzer beater, a game they definitely wouldn't lost if it wasn't at Cassel) and beating Wake Forest by single digits, is a more impressive week to the voters than UConn blowing out two good teams on the road, since neither of those teams were ranked ahead of UConn. And UConn's never going to pass anyone unless the teams ahead of them lose, even if they don't win pretty.

It's poor logic and more the reason why not to care about the AP poll.

Massey Ratings are way more accurate. ESPN's ranking they released today is better too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom