UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Size, showed a bit more playmaking ability and got to the rim more.

Yeah I get that and I get that these guys are infinitely more informed than me. But it kinda seems like they doubt he will be playable defensively in the playoffs. If one guys is better at x,y, and z but neither are good enough to utilize those skills in the NBA, who cares? If you heard the pod today, it’s the same idea with Cam Thomas. The guy is a top x percentile ISO scorer but if he isn’t the best on-ball creator on your team, which he was not close to, he has very little value.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, there are a bunch of guys from 11-16 or so that are all SG/Wings. Not clear which teams will prefer which guys. Different traits. Both Dick and Hawk need to get stronger.

@runner11 I think he's a bit frail. There are so many really strong guys like Harden that will just run him over. It makes him harder to play in a switching scheme.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
yeah, Sam talked about how Hawkins needed to work more on his finishing ability and mid range game at the next level. He’s pretty much just a three point shooter right now. He’s the best in the draft. But it’d help to have more elements to his game.

Reaction Score
yeah, Sam talked about how Hawkins needed to work more on his finishing ability and mid range game at the next level. He’s pretty much just a three point shooter right now. He’s the best in the draft. But it’d help to have more elements to his game.
It’s funny…every time someone here mentions mid range there is huge pushback saying it’s 3 pt and dunks—that’s it . Now someone is listing a lack of mid range as a weakness???

Reaction Score
It’s funny…every time someone here mentions mid range there is huge pushback saying it’s 3 pt and dunks—that’s it . Now someone is listing a lack of mid range as a weakness???
That's at a macro level, you can't have a team building their offense around mid-range shots because it's inefficient. That doesn't mean players don't need to have the ability to knock down the occasional mid-range shot when the defense closes out on a shooter.

Hawkins (or any player) is never going to take the majority of his shots from the mid-range. He's not going to go undrafted or be out of the league in 2 years if he doesn't develop a mid-range game. It's just the little boost that pushes him from being a 10+ year role player as a 3+D guy like Duncan Robinson or Joe Harris, to a piece you hope develops into a reliable starter and is a well-rounded player

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's at a macro level, you can't have a team building their offense around mid-range shots because it's inefficient. That doesn't mean players don't need to have the ability to knock down the occasional mid-range shot when the defense closes out on a shooter.

Hawkins (or any player) is never going to take the majority of his shots from the mid-range. He's not going to go undrafted or be out of the league in 2 years if he doesn't develop a mid-range game. It's just the little boost that pushes him from being a 10+ year role player as a 3+D guy like Duncan Robinson or Joe Harris, to a piece you hope develops into a reliable starter and is a well-rounded player
So we’re trying to prepare guys to be fringe role players?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No, @navery12 is saying that adding to his game will push him past guys like Harris and Robinson.
Oh I misread that part. Still think it’s more than just a little boost though.

The proof has already been shown that a majority of star players rely heavily on the midrange game.

Hawkins used to have a pretty good mid range game his freshman year from reports too. I don’t think deliberately having guys not put an emphasis on it is actually helpful to their NBA potential. Unless we’re just preparing them to be role players and everyone is cool with that.

Don’t think a guy like Castle is here to be a 10 year 3 and D guy.

Reaction Score
Over at the Ahtletic, in his latest mock Vecenie has Hawk to the Heat at 18, AJax to the Pistons at 31, and Sonogo to the Jazz at 47.

Whitmore goes to the Rockettes at 4.

Reaction Score
Hawkins can make midrange shots. He’s proven in his 2 years at UConn that he can make 1-2 dribble pullup jumpers at a pretty reliable rate

Imo, if he can work on his dribbling then the midrange will come by default. When he gets to his spots, he’s automatic. Just struggles to get to his spots off the dribble right now because he lacks that skill.

But that’s a MUCH better problem to have, than the other way around

Reaction Score
Hawkins can make midrange shots. He’s proven in his 2 years at UConn that he can make 1-2 dribble pullup jumpers at a pretty reliable rate

Imo, if he can work on his dribbling then the midrange will come by default. When he gets to his spots, he’s automatic. Just struggles to get to his spots off the dribble right now because he lacks that skill.

But that’s a MUCH better problem to have, than the other way around
He shot 29.2% on 2 point jumpers as a freshman and 31.0% as a sophomore, so he really struggled with those shots both years

Reaction Score
So we’re trying to prepare guys to be fringe role players?

No, but trying to develop guys to be elite role players is pretty smart, especially the way the game is changing.

Until we recruit more Castle’s.

I would rather be great at a limited role than solid all around. If Hawk can put on enough strength without screwing up his shot he will make 100 mill.

Reaction Score
Over at the Ahtletic, in his latest mock Vecenie has Hawk to the Heat at 18, AJax to the Pistons at 31, and Sonogo to the Jazz at 47.

Whitmore goes to the Rockettes at 4.

There is value to being the outlier opinion and hitting. The fear is being a KOC (whatever his last name is) from the Ringer with his Killian Hayes take. Whitmore has an insane ceiling but this take seems to bet a ton on his USA bball performance last year.

Reaction Score

Jazz, Lakers, Heat, & Warriors specifically named to have Some Degree of Interest in Jordan Hawkins:​

Jordan Hawkins mocked to Heat at 18
His range starts at No. 12 with the Thunder, so he could be off the board by this point. The Jazz, Lakers, Heat and Warriors are all also thought to have some degree of interest in the No. 16 to No. 19 range.

Reaction Score

Jazz, Lakers, Heat, & Warriors specifically named to have Some Degree of Interest in Jordan Hawkins:​

Jordan Hawkins mocked to Heat at 18
I think Hawk goes higher than 18. I’d say 11-15. That three he hit at top of key to put us back up 8 in final was one of the bigger shots in UConn history. If that was our first title, it would be the biggest. It sealed the game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No, but trying to develop guys to be elite role players is pretty smart, especially the way the game is changing.

I would rather be great at a limited role than solid all around. If Hawk can put on enough strength without screwing up his shot he will make 100 mill.
Just not sure that’s the way. I guess I’ll have to see it in action. Im just of the opinion that you have to have something else to fall back on when your shot inevitably goes cold.

Jeremy Lamb was further along at this point but Hawkins stroke is generational if he lands in the right spot. Really rooting for OKC to pick him up at 12.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

You mean specialize in a specific part of the game? Hawkins wouldn’t have a limited role,

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You mean specialize in a specific part of the game? Hawkins wouldn’t have a limited role,
We don't know. Take a look at the lottery every year, and you see guys who you thought were amazing players, but most of them become role players and have holes in their game. Can they fix the holes? Can they become more? That's what these teams are projecting for. There are very few "can't miss" guys in the NBA Draft in terms of becoming an all-star caliber all around player.

I'd say Hawkins is can't miss as a floor spacing shooter/scorer off the bench. He'll do that effectively. Whether he becomes more or not? Seems like he has a good shot. But there are 6-7 other guys who are similarly floor spacing shooter/scorers that could go in the same draft range. Wil all of them become complete players? No. Maybe none will. Maybe 1-2. We're all rooting for Hawkins of course.

Reaction Score
FWIW..Came across a speculative piece on Celtics trying to move up from position 35 to improve draft position with some type of trade package.. Names mentioned as to whom they might be interested in if they could move up.. Jett Howard/Hood-Schifino/ Andre J.. Celts don't expect any of them to be available at 35

Reaction Score
Kevin O’Connor at The Ringer:

Hawkins - 21 to Brooklyn
Sanogo - 40 to Denver
Jackson - 44 to San Antonio

This is the first time I’ve seen Sanogo ahead of Jackson.

The bit about Sanogo’s defense is a reflection of how well he learned to high hedge at UConn.
  • Displays flashes of mobility on defense. While he may not be a full-time switch defender, he can at least hedge on the perimeter or defend up to touch and then recover. He’s got quick recovery speed for blocks around the basket.

Reaction Score
Just feeling like not only will all 3 get drafted but they will get drafted higher than most predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom