UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Hollinger of The Athletic ranked prospects, not as a mock draft. He added tiers. Here is how he has the good guys:

Hawkins - 20 (Tier V: Let’s Get Crazy)
Jackson - 31 (Tier VIII: Wing athletes who might never score a basket)
Sanogo - 46 (Tier XI: My favorite deep cuts)

He had Hawkins going #16 to the Jazz in his latest mock draft.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

(No. 15) G Jordan Hawkins, UConn

Profile | 6-5, 170 pounds | April 2002

2022-23 stats: 37 games, 16.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 40.9% FG, 38.8% 3P

A Big East coach: “Make him make twos. Can’t relax for a second when he is on the floor. Maybe is the best I’ve ever seen at stopping and starting. He is running full speed off a variety of screens and ranges to get his shot. Incredible! He got better with the ball in his hands in not catch-and-shoot situations.”

A Big East coach: “He is extremely deadly without needing the ball. Almost Klay Thompson-like. Running off screens, shooting behind a ball screen, or a handoff, he’s the best. He competes on the defensive end as well. Taller and longer than the eye test makes you think.”

I've been telling a couple coworkers for months, primarily due to his efforts on defense that Hawkins, once he grows into his body will be a smaller version of Klay. No, he isn't Klay's height (legit 6'7") and he doesn't have Klay's frame but in time he should be able to do a lot of what Klat does.

He'll be a steal if he falls outside of the top ten picks.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This feels about right. Lottery is probably a bit high for Hawkins, but not far after that.

Jackson, it's unlikely a GM is going to stick his neck out there with a 1st round pick, but early 2nd is believable.

Sanogo, someone should take a flyer late 2nd, but after watching Jokic dominate and win the title, a guy like Sanogo just doesn't fit these days. It's pretty wild to think that not even 20 years ago, Okafor, a better defender but worse offensive player than Sanogo, at basically the same size and position, went #2 overall. Sanogo won't sniff the 1st round.
My dream for Sanogo is still San Antonio. Wembey is really a four who happens to be ~7'3" (could really be a bit shorter or taller but at that height what does it matter). Pop knows how to get the best out of slightly offsized bigs (hell Blair had nowhere near Sanogo's skills or athleticism and he stuck around for a while) and the combination of VW and AS would offset each one's shortcomings.

Reaction Score
Potential impacts for Andre going in the 1st:

Brown just turned down players option to become unrestricted FA..Supposedly can now get more $$ from Nuggets if they want to keep him.. Have seen Andre's name associated with them before getting 29/32..

Reaction Score

I read this and just think about how well our staff did at game-planning around our talent, while also helping players showcase their skillsets for the next level. The ability to prepare our kids to play professionally could offset at least small-to-moderate gaps in NIL opportunities.

Jordan Hawkins, UConn sophomore guard

One of the hardest skill sets to find in basketball is an elite shooter who can shoot off the move. A lot of players can make a spot-up shot, but few are capable of flying off a pin-down or a stagger or a zoom action and knocking down a shot off a full sprint. That puts a ton of pressure on a defense to account for someone capable of knocking down those shots, and Hawkins is one of the best prospects in this area in recent memory. Connecticut basically built an entire offense around his shooting this past season, and his gravity generates easy baskets for teammates.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Potential impacts for Andre going in the 1st:

How does this make sense for Indiana? You can expect the Nuggets pick to be near the bottom. So they traded 29 and 32 this year for something like 29 and 40 next year? That's just idiotic.

Reaction Score
How does this make sense for Indiana? You can expect the Nuggets pick to be near the bottom. So they traded 29 and 32 this year for something like 29 and 40 next year? That's just idiotic.
They were never gonna use all their picks, they had 7, 26, 29, 32, 55. It's a gamble that Denver doesn't repeat next season, I actually like it for Indiana. Chances are it ends up being a higher pick than 29 next year

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They were never gonna use all their picks, they had 7, 26, 29, 32, 55. It's a gamble that Denver doesn't repeat next season, I actually like it for Indiana. Chances are it ends up being a higher pick than 29 next year
Ok, that makes more sense. Still clearly a good deal for Denver as well

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
They also didn’t have enough roster spots for all those draft picks, and apparently Rick Carlisle is notorious for not wanting to deal with / play rookies

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

(No. 15) G Jordan Hawkins, UConn

Profile | 6-5, 170 pounds | April 2002

2022-23 stats: 37 games, 16.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 40.9% FG, 38.8% 3P

A Big East coach: “Make him make twos. Can’t relax for a second when he is on the floor. Maybe is the best I’ve ever seen at stopping and starting. He is running full speed off a variety of screens and ranges to get his shot. Incredible! He got better with the ball in his hands in not catch-and-shoot situations.”

A Big East coach: “He is extremely deadly without needing the ball. Almost Klay Thompson-like. Running off screens, shooting behind a ball screen, or a handoff, he’s the best. He competes on the defensive end as well. Taller and longer than the eye test makes you think.”

Can we get fire emojis added?

Reaction Score
But even say Denver finishing with 25th pick next year + 40 is worse than 29 and 32 and that's pretty much the best case scenario.

Essentially they paid a small premium to spread their picks out a bit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But even say Denver finishing with 25th pick next year + 40 is worse than 29 and 32 and that's pretty much the best case scenario.

Plus you almost always value a pick now more than a pick later. Next year's draft is supposed to be weak I believe.

Reaction Score

I'd definitely prefer to have 29 and 32, but that's the cost of getting the flexibility of having an extra 1st next year. Especially if the rumors of them looking to move #7 in a bigger deal for a good wing are true

Plus you almost always value a pick now more than a pick later. Next year's draft is supposed to be weak I believe.
In a vacuum sure, but that's why the context of how many open roster spots they have matter. In their situation a 2024 pick around the same spot has more value

Reaction Score
I'd definitely prefer to have 29 and 32, but that's the cost of getting the flexibility of having an extra 1st next year. Especially if the rumors of them looking to move #7 in a bigger deal for a good wing are true

In a vacuum sure, but that's why the context of how many open roster spots they have matter. In their situation a 2024 pick around the same spot has more value
This makes a lot more sense

Reaction Score
This makes a lot more sense

As the only Pacers fan on the boneyard I am fine with this deal. I was hoping they would package these picks and perhaps Hield or Duarte for an upgrade at the 3/4 but it is what it is. I guess they can still do that with #7 and get an OG or Siakam for Raptors.

Reaction Score
Vecenie’s lastest mock draft also included a range for many players.

Hawkins - 19 to Golden State, 12-24 range
Jackson - 29 to Denver
Sanogo - 47 to LAL

That, folks, just might be the ideal outcome. Hawkins plays with Curry and Klay, Jackson plays with Jokic, and Sanogo plays with LeBron.

Reaction Score
Nuggets need affordable role players as long as Jokic, MPJ, Murray, and Gordon are there. Jackson fits that need so perfectly at 29 or 32, I'd be pretty shocked if he fell beyond that at this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The celtics porzingis trade makes me think andre in play for replacing Marcus smart at #25.pick if still there.
Smart isn't being traded. Andre wouldn't be a good replacement.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Smart was already traded. He's on the Memphis Grizzlies
Damn, guess I need to check the news. In my defense I'm still dealing with what I think is pneumonia. Still don't see Andre being picked by a win-now organization. He couldn't crack the rotation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon