UCLA UConn | The Boneyard

UCLA UConn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We must stay out of foul trouble. Buffalo caught up because we were in foul trouble and with no bench we cant play defense. If the refs call the regional games like they did the other nite we could have problems I dont think we loose to UCLA. I expect UCLA to be tired from the trip and the interviews when they get here. When UConn is in big time foul trouble they struggle shooting. They settle to much for outside shots and dont dribble penetrate. Foul trouble puts pressure on them imo. Its tuff to play when your in foul trouble which results in ... defenseless. Much like the FF last season. UConn got in foul trouble and ND went nuts scoring. ND lived at the line and I believe UConn outscored ND from the floor by a bunch.

Reaction Score
They are playing really, really well. They're one of those teams that is peaking in the tournament. Yes, UConn has improved. But UCLA is not just a fourth-ranked also-ran. They're one of five Pac 12 teams in the Sweet Sixteen, and you don't get there by being an also-ran.

UCLA will be a monumental opponent on Friday night.

Reaction Score
They are playing really, really well. They're one of those teams that is peaking in the tournament. Yes, UConn has improved. But UCLA is not just a fourth-ranked also-ran. They're one of five Pac 12 teams in the Sweet Sixteen, and you don't get there by being an also-ran.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I give a decided edge to UCLA. This does not mean (to state the obvious) that UConn cannot win, or (to state the obvious) that I do not hope they do. As noted in the Towson postgame thread, "everything changes when outside shots go down"--or, one might add, when outside shots do not go down. Anything less than a strong night of outside shooting for UConn can spell defeat. And even that is no guarantee. UCLA is no cream puff. They've scored at least 73 points per game in their last nine games, including 83, 89 and 85 in their last three.

So . . . make no mistake, given UCLA's length and athleticism, its confidence and momentum, if and when UCLA starts to hang close, get a lead, or even perhaps stretch a lead a bit into the first five minutes of the third quarter, they may begin to smell blood in the water; and things could get ugly for UConn. Under such circumstances UCLA, could win this by 15 points, perhaps even more.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. In fact, I give a decided edge to UCLA. This does not mean (to state the obvious) that UConn cannot win, or (to state the obvious) that I do not hope they do. As noted in the Towson postgame thread, "everything changes when outside shots go down"--or, one might add, when outside shots do not go down. Anything less than a strong night of outside shooting for UConn can spell defeat. And even that is no guarantee. UCLA is no cream puff. They've scored at least 73 points per game in their last nine games, including 83, 89 and 85 in their last three.

So . . . make no mistake, given UCLA's length and athleticism, its confidence and momentum, if and when UCLA starts to hang close, get a lead, or even perhaps stretch a lead a bit into the first five minutes of the third quarter, they may begin to smell blood in the water; and things could get ugly for UConn. Under such circumstances UCLA, could win this by 15 points, perhaps even more.
This will be a battle for sure. I hope our shots are falling. I think this game goes to the wire.

Reaction Score
UCLA is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, that definitely could be a problem. Olivia may need to be on the court more minutes. regarding dribble penetration, I think UConn has developed into one of the weakest penetrating teams in the country. they either pass inside to Collier, or shoot a three. what an offense; hard to watch. c'mon Williams, c'mon Dangerfield, c'mon Samuelson; get inside!

Reaction Score
ESPN pundits predicting our demise against UCLA because we don't rebound well. Most doubt it's fixable before the game. We shall see. I don't take much stock in the talk of pundits...
Some of UConn's rebounding issues are fixable. If you watch the replays, UConn routinely gets pushed deep under the basket, making it easier for competitor to get offensive rebounds. Also, the switching Geno has them doing the last part of year often causes them to be out of position when shots go up. Competitors camp under basket and are in better position to rebound than defender. This is out of my swim lane-counting on Geno to fix!

Reaction Score
ESPN pundits predicting our demise against UCLA because we don't rebound well. Most doubt it's fixable before the game. We shall see. I don't take much stock in the talk of pundits...

The solution to rebounding by the opposition is shooting a high percentage--so there are fewer rebounds. Against Buffalo, we shot lights out early in the game and built a lead. In the second half when our shots weren't falling, Buffalo was able to rebound and creep back into the game. What is insoluble is for UConn to become a great rebounding team between now and Friday; the athletes we have this year just aren't adept at collecting rebounds. They lack size and speed. We also get in trouble when we continually trap the opposition. Eventually, they get open for easy lay-ins.
UCLA has lost 12 times this year, so they're hardly unbeatable. Maryland's excuse for losing yet another key game was that they lacked intensity. We can do intensity.
It's pretty obvious: make shots, which we can, or make summer plans.

Reaction Score
UConn this year:

83.4 points per game - Opponents: 55.3 Margin = 28.1
41.5 Rebounds per game - Opponents 34.7 Margin = 6.8

UCLA
74.1 points per game - Opponents 68.8 Margin = 5.3
41.6 Rebounds per game - Opponents 35.6 Margin = 6.0

Also, UConn 2 losses UCLA 12 losses

I know we're doomed, but we're not that doomed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

So by beating a badly coached Tenn team and young and severely overrated Maryland team makes them a monumental opponent?
This team has 12 losses and yes, they have played better lately against their PAC12 brethren of which only Oregon has the firepower that UConn has.
This team still has Cori as a coach who while beating Holly and Brenda at checkers has to play chess now. Not convinced this team can match up.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ESPN is anti UConn in everything. Keep it in mind when listening or reading.
As evidenced by what? They sent their “A” team to Storrs, the team has more TV exposure on their channels than any other team, anything Geno says gets quoted and discussed so while observations are given by various ESPN personnel ALL TALK ABOUT UConn team with respect, a tad envy and jealousy. But to say their “anti” is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
This UCLA team’s situation reminds me of Oregon State’s last season. Both teams were ranked #6 and both teams won their first round game, and although they played a #3 seed in the second round, both teams won and it didn’t really feel like an “upset” in the sense that a 3-6 matchup typically would because both teams were peaking at the end of the season. This is where I hope the stories are no longer similar - Oregon State went on to upset #2 Baylor in the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I just watched the MD UCLA game. UCLA is a team that can win it all. I expected MD to beat UCLA and thought the only way UCLA could win was for MD to have a bad game. After watching the game, MD did not have an off game and I believe UCLA beat them because they were the better team. This team does not look like a 6 seed,
UConn must be ready because, IMHO, it appears to me UCLA is ready!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

ROFL I'll take that bet. There will be less fouls this game, no way we lose to a team that has lost 12 games this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched UCLA against both TN & MD. They have some really good athletes. They crash the boards hard. They also have some limitations.

UCLA doesn’t have great size or anyone capable of defending Pheesa in the post one on one. They are not a particularly good outside shooting team, aside from their pg, who is a streaky shooter at best. They turn the ball over when pressured.

Getting back to their pg, she had a number of stretches when she played a little out of control. She is 5’6”, the same size as Crystal and not nearly as strong or disciplined.

Don’t know how UCLA can handle Pheesa or Crystal. If Lou is closer to 100% and the Huskies get contributions from their supporting cast, UConn wins this one comfortably.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
ESPN is anti UConn in everything. Keep it in mind when listening or reading.

That's because their management consists largely of Syracuse alums, and we've surpassed them by such a wide margin in men's and women's BB.

Reaction Score
I watched UCLA against both TN & MD. They have some really good athletes. They crash the boards hard. They also have some limitations.

UCLA doesn’t have great size or anyone capable of defending Pheesa in the post one on one. They are not a particularly good outside shooting team, aside from their pg, who is a streaky shooter at best. They turn the ball over when pressured.

Getting back to their pg, she had a number of stretches when she played a little out of control. She is 5’6”, the same size as Crystal and not nearly as strong or disciplined.

Don’t know how UCLA can handle Pheesa or Crystal. If Lou is closer to 100% and the Huskies get contributions from their supporting cast, UConn wins this one comfortably.
they have scored 80 plus points against Oregon &Maryland. We are not a good defensive team. I think this will be a high scoring game and anything can happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
they have scored 80 plus points against Oregon &Maryland. We are not a good defensive team. I think this will be a high scoring game and anything can happen.
Frankly, I don’t think Oregon & MD are particularly good defensive teams. MD in particular allowed UCLA to get a bunch of uncontested jump shots from 15’ in, and just about every single MD defender got beat repeatedly off the dribble. Against Stanford, a good defensive team, UCLA had 51 pts.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
As evidenced by what? They sent their “A” team to Storrs, the team has more TV exposure on their channels than any other team, anything Geno says gets quoted and discussed so while observations are given by various ESPN personnel ALL TALK ABOUT UConn team with respect, a tad envy and jealousy. But to say their “anti” is ludicrous.

We currently sit in the AAC largely because of ESPN. That's about as anti-UConn as you can get. They acted in concert with the ACC to destroy the old Big East because they had hitched their economic wagon to the ACC. Getting rid of the Big East meant one less major conference mouth to feed with rights fees. UConn got voted out of the ACC by Boston College, Clemson and Florida State, but ESPN was calling the shots from behind the scenes. The North Carolina schools wanted UConn. Meanwhile, UConn's administration sat idly by while watching a glorified community college in northern Kentucky, with a corrupt athletic administration, lobby the ACC for admission. Adding insult to injury, the politicians in CT have showered ESPN with tax breaks to keep them from leaving the state. The state has become ESPN's lapdog, while ESPN is principally responsible for putting UConn's athletic budget in a 40 million dollar hole. Rest assured UConn has no friends in management at ESPN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand that Oregon and MD are not good defensive teams as well as us. My point is I think it will be a high scoring & tight contest to the finish. This is just my thoughts on it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand that Oregon and MD are not good defensive teams as well as us. My point is I think it will be a high scoring & tight contest to the finish. This is just my thoughts on it.
You may be right. I think it will depend on how well UCLA takes care of the ball. I can foresee a scenario where UConn goes on a run and creates a 15-20 pt separation that settles the outcome for all intents and purposes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom