UCLA UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA UConn

Reaction Score
This UCLA Team would stand little chance of winning vs last year's UCONN Team. This year's UCONN team has 3 players that can be counted on to perform nearly every game. Last year's UCONN team had 5 on the floor that could be counted on to perform at all times. That is the big difference I see, and, having seen UCLA up close (vs OSU), this team is brimming with confidence & can score: The two qualities that Geno recently pointed out are the dangerous teams for this year's UCONN squad. I'm not saying UCONN won't win, I am saying that I think UCONN will be in a 4 quarter battle with UCLA.

Reaction Score
This UCLA Team would stand little chance of winning vs last year's UCONN Team. This year's UCONN team has 3 players that can be counted on to perform nearly every game. Last year's UCONN team had 5 on the floor that could be counted on to perform at all times. That is the big difference I see, and, having seen UCLA up close (vs OSU), this team is brimming with confidence & can score: The two qualities that Geno recently pointed out are the dangerous teams for this year's UCONN squad. I'm not saying UCONN won't win, I am saying that I think UCONN will be in a 4 quarter battle with UCLA.
Virtually all past UConn teams had 1-2 shut down defenders. This year we have none. Crystal is quick but can be beaten on drives to the basket. 2019 defense one of worst I remember in many years of watching Huskies. Still think Final 4 is possible but flawed team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Trying to put all of this in perspective:

The last two years (after the Stewie domination era), no one worried about the regionals
Still, even during that era: a spirited, well-coached Dayton team gave us a scare in Albany...(and was it Texas)? played us tough in Bridgeport until freshman Pheesa came in for a few minutes and blew the game open with her now familiar bag of tricks.

Even Tony C is concerned.

Now: even a team like Buffalo thinks they have a chance...and you can bet your bottom dollar that UCLA is not flying 3000 miles to be a sacrificial lamb.

Mickey Dearstone, the UTenn radio man and (seemingly) the last Holly loyalist describes an upside down world in which parity has arrived by means of massive improvement of lower ranked teams and says or admits nothing nothing about the decline in UTenn's game being a contributing factor. For this, he is ridiculed.

I have regularly noted the higher level of play, throughout the country. better athletes more spread out, better coaching, better team play...in all...a tribute to Geno, Tara, and Muffit among others (but mostly Geno) preaching the fundamentals of team D and O.

But not (completely) unlike (poor, ignorant) Holly, Geno has some own old-fashioned ideas of his own which have come back to bite him...Identify UConn type kids and recruit only them, If the best do not want to come...too bad. There is no plan B. Seemingly, his European trip is an indication that that era is over and he is willing to adjust. It's about time.

Other teams (not only UConn) play with a short bench, but it was sad the other night to see a bunch of worn out kids trying to hold a lead knowing that they were it...no reinforcements.
We've seen that story unfold before, not happily.

It is not my style to dump on a player and it is not my intention to do so now...but it must be said that Megan has never (in my eyes) looked like a #1 in the country...even after her best games. There is a certain absence of confidence that permeates her game. I remember a game (last year?) when Geno said she could get every offensive board she wanted...and for a game she did...Where is that player now? And more importantly...is she the rare player who does not profit from the UConn experience.

With all the above woe and lack of optimism, Geno could still pull this off.
The kids slept in their own beds after the game...and Albany is a short, familiar trip before a friendly crowd. Touch could return, D stiffen, the week could be all Katie-Lou needs to be
at or near 100%. And the whole UConn feeling could re-emerge; shots falling, steals, disruptions, amazing O sequences.

But for the first time I remember in a regional, there is uncertainty.

Reaction Score
UCLA is staying on the East Coast for the game. I think they might do better to train at home and then fly to the game but this is the decision.

Reaction Score
Not that this is a defining thing, but Massey has UConn with an 81% chance of winning this one. Final predicted score is 81-71.

Rebounds against UCLA and free throw shooting are going to be a problem. Big time, and Geno knows it. This could be U-G-L-Y Friday. I hope I'm wrong, but if UConn rebounds and shoots the same free throw percentage they did against Buffalo, they lose by 12-15. Possibly more. Pheesa can't do it all against this team, certainly not against Louisville and definitely not against Baylor. I'm honestly not very hopeful, but we shall see. Maybe it will all click and UConn will win by 20!

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly when UConn lost to LVille and Baylor we played poorly and late in the game we were still in it. Those games we scheduled when we had been on the road forever and we played poorly. If we play like that against UCLA we win. Im not concerned about UCLA at all. I like UConn winning by double digets. Why I think that way is because UCLA as good as they played against MD they were trailing alot and I think we would blow MD out. Another point Buffalo was a blow out until UConn got into foul trouble and Buffalo could score at will while UConn was defenseless. Barring injuries and alot of foul trouble we're going to the FF. Hey if we're hitting shots UCLA doesnt rebound. We are not MD we are UConn. Another point if UCLA hits the boards and we get the rebound we are off to the races. UCOnn by double digets.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we can defend the perimeter well enough here. Even enough to absorb a bad shooting night.

UCLA should not be a problem.
1553640280652.png

Reaction Score
My ONLY concern is the rebounding. Maryland has always been known for rebounding and they were out rebounded by UCLA. I just hope we box out better than the Buffalo game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They are playing really, really well. They're one of those teams that is peaking in the tournament. Yes, UConn has improved. But UCLA is not just a fourth-ranked also-ran. They're one of five Pac 12 teams in the Sweet Sixteen, and you don't get there by being an also-ran.

UCLA will be a monumental opponent on Friday night.

Very true!!! The 3rd round is where the tournament really begins. 75% of the original field has been eliminated. Most of your "at large" teams are gone. EVERYONE will be a monumental opponent this weekend. For the top seeds, the first weekend is simply a warm-up, a dress rehearsal if you will. This weekend, the rubber meets the road. If you're a top seed, THIS is the weekend your dreams can die, and you get sent home. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
My ONLY concern is the rebounding. Maryland has always been known for rebounding and they were out rebounded by UCLA. I just hope we box out better than the Buffalo game.

Former Laker head coach Pat Riley once said: "No rebounds, no rings." That thought is as current now as it was 30 years ago when he said it. UConn must win the battle of the boards Friday. :cool:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I hate to agree with 82, but we ARE definitely DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!! Get out the crepe and the flowers!

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t think Oregon & MD are particularly good defensive teams. MD in particular allowed UCLA to get a bunch of uncontested jump shots from 15’ in, and just about every single MD defender got beat repeatedly off the dribble. Against Stanford, a good defensive team, UCLA had 51 pts.
I love the UConn huskies but I've seen a few games this year where our players take turns getting beat off the dribble. The UCLA offense seems to flow from Dean.
She's young and improving even though reckless at times. I thought she looked a little tight vs Tennessee but played loose but focused vs Maryland. Crystal needs to do a number on Dean on the defensive end and it wouldn't hurt to throw in Mykala for a few minutes on her as well. I'm looking forward to a competitive game and a win for the more experienced Huskies.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The solution to rebounding by the opposition is shooting a high percentage--so there are fewer rebounds. Against Buffalo, we shot lights out early in the game and built a lead. In the second half when our shots weren't falling, Buffalo was able to rebound and creep back into the game. What is insoluble is for UConn to become a great rebounding team between now and Friday; the athletes we have this year just aren't adept at collecting rebounds. They lack size and speed. We also get in trouble when we continually trap the opposition. Eventually, they get open for easy lay-ins.
UCLA has lost 12 times this year, so they're hardly unbeatable. Maryland's excuse for losing yet another key game was that they lacked intensity. We can do intensity.
It's pretty obvious: make shots, which we can, or make summer plans.

Trapping uses up a lot of energy too. You're right. When trapping, once the ball crosses half court, if UConn's defenders don't sprint back into position, somebody is open. usually a 3 pt. sniper in one of the corners. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
As I said - I don't much listen to pundits...

Good for you!! When you want to know something, just tune in to the Boneyard. The basketball savants here (of whom there are many) will keep you in the know!! ;)

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with UCLA. The dumbest thing the Buffalo coach said was if only the game was five minutes longer. That's only if there's overtime.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Most of your "at large" teams are gone.

That's really not true. About half of the field is "at large." It's actually most of the automatic qualifiers that have been eliminated. The vast majority of the remaining field is from the ACC/SEC/Pac 12 and only 1 team from each conference isn't an at large bid.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's really not true. About half of the field is "at large." It's actually most of the automatic qualifiers that have been eliminated. The vast majority of the remaining field is from the ACC/SEC/Pac 12 and only 1 team from each conference isn't an at large bid.
It’s exactly half with 8 AQ’s and 8 at large teams headed to the Sweet 16.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This game won’t be that close! They won’t score that much against us. Our D plays when it needs to!

Granted THIS team does not have the defensive "chops" that UConn teams are known for. For the most part they were able to hold most teams under their season scoring average this year. We certainly hope UConn is up to the challenge to play some of the tightest, stingiest and foul free defense of the season. The kind of defense that makes Geno (and UConn Nation) smile. :)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It’s exactly half with 8 AQ’s and 8 at large teams headed to the Sweet 16.

Well...I'm half right. Most of the AQ's have been eliminated. But so have most of the at large as well. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Really? You mean most of them are still playing? How many at large teams made the tournament?
Per oldude, there are only 8 left (Thanks OD).

Reaction Score
.....Crystal needs to do a number on Dean on the defensive end and it wouldn't hurt to throw in Mykala for a few minutes on her as well.

Crystal will take care of Dean, no worries whatsoever on my part. If MC has to come in for a 3-4 minute breather she will as well. Although I don't think Geno will go that way.

So hats off - its Crystal time.

ps I truly hope CD is healthy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Really? You mean most of them are still playing? How many at large teams made the tournament? :oops:

Oldude beat you to it. The point is that most of the AQs are gone as well. When you go from 64 to 16 obviously a lot of teams are going to be eliminated, regardless of what their avenue to making the field was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom