UCLA UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCLA UConn

Reaction Score
Virtually all past UConn teams had 1-2 shut down defenders. This year we have none. Crystal is quick but can be beaten on drives to the basket. 2019 defense one of worst I remember in many years of watching Huskies. Still think Final 4 is possible but flawed team.
So Pheesa being DPOY in conference doesn't get us at least one good defensive player? Her steals, blocks, defensive rebounds, help defense.... Ono when not in foul trouble is also a very impactful defensive force. We also have one other player off the bench whose staple is defense.

Again, unless we win every game by double digits (which we have in the tournament thus far) then we are barely a decent team. Our PPG allowed is near the top and even the games we lost we held our opponent under their average. How is that one of the worst?

Every team is flawed, as every team has at least a loss. Again regarding defense, as much as I respect Kia's tenacity, the only way that some of those top players like Asia were shutdown or hampered last year was ultimately through team defense. One on one she would have been scorched. Lockdown perimeter 1 on 1 defender is rare... Mo-jet was one of the best.

Reaction Score
Don't know. What I do know is that from 2:47 left in the 3Q until 2:16 left in the 4Q, UConn scored 2 points (a layup by Phees at the 4th Q 8:00 mark). That's one basket--2 points--in an entire quarter's worth of basketball. (Has any UConn WCBB team ever done that? Ever?)

Not being critical. Just noting the obvious . . . when it comes to sports, anything can happen--a team can hit 10 3-pointers in a row; or they can go 1 for 20; they can go an entire season without a single player fouling out; and they can then have 3 players foul out in the same game; a 90% FT shooter can go 1 for 9, or a 60% FT shooter can go 10 for 10 from the line; a guy who's never gone deep on a left-hander in his life can jack 2 in a row in the late innings of critical game in the pennant stretch. It's like a Russell Stover sampler; you never know what you're gonna get. But if you experience enough of it, it'll make you puke up your lungs.
We scored 2 points and still won by double digits.... that should tell folks that even though there is not Stewie, Mo or Gabby that we are still a solid defensive team. Our losses and close games had to do with our offense getting stagnant and missing shots that we normally do not miss. To your point game are played because everyone is different and the unthinkable happens, like losing in FF in OT on last shots.

(Not towards you Connie but generally) I think what is hard for many here is that we have lost perspective and actually some of the fun of rooting for a very good team, plus believing in your team despite the holes. Men's Duke got by with a one point victory over a team that they more times than not would dominate. I bet their fans celebrated the win, still root with an expectation of how they will win and not analyze how many ways they could lose. I mean really, we have to rebound, play defense and hit shots to win??? Should any team expect to win at this point in the tournament if they fail miserably at those things... LOL

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tight is putting it mildly. How long did we go without a score late in the game when Buffalo, an undersized team from the MAC that already lost nine games playing on the road with seven freshmen and a star with a sprained ankle, was making a charge to cut the lead to 11? It seems like when the team faces any sort of adversity it panics and they lose composure. When they're on they are really really good, and when they're frozen up they're really really not.
The disturbing thing is, we've seen the same tendencies for 3 years now. There's no "alpha dog" mentality among this group of players, nobody saying "I got this" and putting the team on their back.

Geno's team-oriented system works beautifully and attracts ego-free players, but there's a downside to that as well -- too much "nice" and too much "practice until you can't do it wrong" leaves you with robotic play and a lack of ability and willingness to improvise, take it to the opponent, and make the big play.
Man, you guys just don’t quit. UConn has lost exactly 4 games in 3 seasons. That’s better than any team in college basketball, men or women. If you really want to complain about a team, may I suggest you wander over to VolNation and join the party, because misery loves company.

Reaction Score
We scored 2 points and still won by double digits.... that should tell folks that even though there is not Stewie, Mo or Gabby that we are still a solid defensive team. Our losses and close games had to do with our offense getting stagnant and missing shots that we normally do not miss. To your point game are played because everyone is different and the unthinkable happens, like losing in FF in OT on last shots.

(Not towards you Connie but generally) I think what is hard for many here is that we have lost perspective and actually some of the fun of rooting for a very good team, plus believing in your team despite the holes. Men's Duke got by with a one point victory over a team that they more times than not would dominate. I bet their fans celebrated the win, still root with an expectation of how they will win and not analyze how many ways they could lose. I mean really, we have to rebound, play defense and hit shots to win??? Should any team expect to win at this point in the tournament if they fail miserably at those things... LOL
And even Stewie, Mo and Gabby are human (mostly).

In my opinion, "our" losses and close games had as much as anything else to do with the fact that it is simply impossible to play at an elite level game-in, game-out, without exception, and never lose. Eventually that happens. Even if you win 110 games in a row. Sooner or later, there are going to be games where for any number of reasons things don't go right (just as there are games where for any number of reasons things do go right--remember game 1 of the 16-17 season, when Florida State missed a 3 point shot that would've won the game and ended the streak at 74 games?).

Having said all that, I do agree that some appear to be surprised or disappointed when UConn does not purr like a machine and dominate. Well, that's hard to do, especially when there is just so much talent going around and when a team does not necessarily have all the right parts to dominate and go all the way. Heck; it's hard to do even when you've got the right parts and you rebound, play defense and hit shots.

Instead of us wondering why UConn may appear vulnerable to the possibility of defeat (hardly a foregone conclusion based on what many have observed here), maybe we should be asking how this team came to be so good given the circumstances and given the strength of the competition? Maybe we should be asking why UCLA would not have as good a chance as anyone else of hanging tough with UConn and possibly moving on to the Elite 8. While I hope that does not happen, I applaud their ability and success. And I hope for a great game--one that brings out the best in both teams. Let history take care of the rest. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tight is putting it mildly. How long did we go without a score late in the game when Buffalo, an undersized team from the MAC that already lost nine games playing on the road with seven freshmen and a star with a sprained ankle, was making a charge to cut the lead to 11? It seems like when the team faces any sort of adversity it panics and they lose composure. When they're on they are really really good, and when they're frozen up they're really really not.
Take your pick. "Tight" or "tired?" Hate to play the "Geno needs to sub card" but players coming back from injury or colds often need a rest.

Reaction Score
From what Im reading UCLA is not a good shooting team from deep. They rebound well and they run well. So slow down the game, make them shoot from the outside, and pack it in. That settles the rebounding, the poor shooting, and running the score up. If you look at my post above which shows UCLAs end of season losses ,it appears that teams that slow it down and keep the score down against UCLA win.
I don't think we're that much better of a shooting team from outside. We make 36% of our 3s, they make 31%. Our best 3-point shooter this season is Molly who has made 55% of her 3-point attempts, followed by Kyla at 39.1%, and then Megan at 38.4%. I really hope we don't try to slow the game down. That's when we look awful as we're forced to sit in a defensive position for 20 seconds, and then are forced into the half court offense when we have the ball which has been problematic all season. When we run, no one can beat us. An uptempo up and down the court kind of game where we're getting a lot of shots favors UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until it ends, I'm faithfully going all the way with the belief upon what CW stated before the season started that they're gonna feel UCONN this year. The road has been tougher than ever and obviously not the usual but I think we can do it. I'll be modest though too and say that UCLA will definitely be a tough out with the way they've been playing down the stretch of the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Until it ends, I'm faithfully going all the way with the belief upon what CW stated before the season started that they're gonna feel UCONN this year. The road has been tougher than ever and obviously not the usual but I think we can do it. I'll be modest though too and say that UCLA will definitely be a tough out with the way they've been playing down the stretch of the season.
CW can make that happen. If she stays aggressive and avoids fouls, she could be a big X-factor!

Reaction Score
Y’all are forgetting the obvious...this is Sparta! (er, UCONN)...same thing.

We play our game, we beat UCLA and Louisville. Both will be exciting games, but I am highly confident of the outcomes.

Then we see the most talented team in the tourney...the Irish. That will be another game of the Century from a viewer’s perspective. As a fan, it won’t be the weekend to stop sniffing glue...

The survivor should be favored in the final regardless of who it is.

Reaction Score
Just saw this truck at my doctor's office in NC, and now feel lot better about our weekend prospects. Hope the back windshield picture comes through for you. Love that the moon really is a C
UConn.JPG

Reaction Score
Y’all are forgetting the obvious...this is Sparta! (er, UCONN)...same thing.

We play our game, we beat UCLA and Louisville. Both will be exciting games, but I am highly confident of the outcomes.

Then we see the most talented team in the tourney...the Irish. That will be another game of the Century from a viewer’s perspective. As a fan, it won’t be the weekend to stop sniffing glue...

The survivor should be favored in the final regardless of who it is.
(heh, heh)...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom