UCLA UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA UConn

Reaction Score
UCLA’s frontcourt is athletic and the team does not lack any confidence. UConn cannot give up 20+ offensive rebounds once again

Reaction Score
ROFL I'll take that bet. There will be less fouls this game, no way we lose to a team that has lost 12 games this season.
Why not? We could have lost to Buffalo the other night, and they had nine losses while playing in a mid-major conference.

Reaction Score
You may be right. I think it will depend on how well UCLA takes care of the ball. I can foresee a scenario where UConn goes on a run and creates a 15-20 pt separation that settles the outcome for all intents and purposes.
And then lets up on the intensity and effort letting UCLA climb back into it by midway in the third quarter. With this team 15-20 points is not enough, because when the pressure is on they fall apart.

Reaction Score
It comes down to the health of UConn's most important player. However, after the health issue it then depends on the empowering of that player. If she is not allowed to employ all her incomparable varied capabilities her value is reduced and that puts the team in danger of losing if the opponent is actually capable of winning. In 7 total games vs 2 common opponents UConn is +18 PG vs UCLA (in regulation) which includes 2 games without KLS. So, I don't think they are in danger in this game, at least. However, all the factors mentioned above may come into play in the next game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And then lets up on the intensity and effort letting UCLA climb back into it by midway in the third quarter. With this team 15-20 points is not enough, because when the pressure is on they fall apart.
Yessiree, they sure did fall apart this year going only 33-2, ranked 2nd in the nation. :confused:

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t think Oregon & MD are particularly good defensive teams. MD in particular allowed UCLA to get a bunch of uncontested jump shots from 15’ in, and just about every single MD defender got beat repeatedly off the dribble. Against Stanford, a good defensive team, UCLA had 51 pts.
Problem is, defensively UConn is a lot closer to MD. than Stanford. UCLA could have near 35 offensive rebounds in this one.

Reaction Score
The solution to rebounding by the opposition is shooting a high percentage

Uhhh, the problem is defensive rebounds. Buffalo had a ton of offensive rebounds, esp in 1st half.

Reaction Score
Honestly - I think this team kind of likes being thought of as an underdog - especially Napheesa

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We can score alot of points against UCLA. We have height and we are fundamentally sound. UCLA has been able to speed games up which is an advantage for them because of their quickness. UConn can play up tempo. Two things UConn has to do imo. Hit a fair percentage of their outside shots and not rely on outside shooting and they must attack the basket on offense. UConn must stay out of foul trouble. If UConn is in foul trouble and with a short bench they are defenseless. You saw that against Buffalo. I like our chances alot in this game. Tenn and MD are not UConn. UCLA ran right around Tenn and MD. Neither showed me any good defense. So as good as UCLA looked against both they wont look that way against UConn. Geno will have a game plan to stop UCLA. Dont be surprised if UConn beats UCLA by 15+pts.

We had problems with Buffalo because of foul trouble and everybody but me was in foul trouble. lol We have been playing at a different level too except when we're in foul trouble. Geno will have UConn ready for next weekend. UCLA is playing good but not UConn good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Problem is, defensively UConn is a lot closer to MD. than Stanford. UCLA could have near 35 offensive rebounds in this one.
I think it’s the other way around. MD gives up 61 ppg (same as Stanford) to UConn’s 55. UConn held ND, Baylor & Louisville all under their season average.

While UConn does not have a NDPOY on the team this year, they play fundamentally sound defense, giving up roughly one more basket per game then last season when the Huskies had 2 NDPOY’s on the team.

Watching MD yesterday, their defense broke down constantly allowing open looks and easy baskets. I really don’t see any comparison between the Huskies and the Lady Turtles.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t think Oregon & MD are particularly good defensive teams. MD in particular allowed UCLA to get a bunch of uncontested jump shots from 15’ in, and just about every single MD defender got beat repeatedly off the dribble. Against Stanford, a good defensive team, UCLA had 51 pts.
Oregon held McCowan to 5 points, I say that indicates they know defense! As for matchup, I fear UCLA rebounding will cause UConn problems, rebounding was a key to the win over MD. DO NOT LOOK PAST UCLA!

Reaction Score
We currently sit in the AAC largely because of ESPN. That's about as anti-UConn as you can get. They acted in concert with the ACC to destroy the old Big East because they had hitched their economic wagon to the ACC. Getting rid of the Big East meant one less major conference mouth to feed with rights fees. UConn got voted out of the ACC by Boston College, Clemson and Florida State, but ESPN was calling the shots from behind the scenes. The North Carolina schools wanted UConn. Meanwhile, UConn's administration sat idly by while watching a glorified community college in northern Kentucky, with a corrupt athletic administration, lobby the ACC for admission. Adding insult to injury, the politicians in CT have showered ESPN with tax breaks to keep them from leaving the state. The state has become ESPN's lapdog, while ESPN is principally responsible for putting UConn's athletic budget in a 40 million dollar hole. Rest assured UConn has no friends in management at ESPN.
UConn was not blocked from the ACC by ESPN

UConn was thwarted in an attempted entry to the ACC by Boston College right from the start way back when.

ESPN had nothing to do with it.

Wanna blame somebody, blame BC and a swamp full of bad blood.

Reaction Score
ROFL I'll take that bet.
Seriously? To the extent wagering is permitted (and I take no position on that for purposes of this colloquy), then depending on the amount at issue . . . I accept.

If UCLA loses, I'll have purchased more happiness for the price paid than I could otherwise acquire on the open market anywhere else.

Reaction Score
I think Crystal will have an outstanding game! Kind of reminds me when, on the men's side in 2014, DeAndre Daniels blew up (especially after Coach Calhoun told DeAndre that ESPN Analysts are talking about everyone else and not you). For Friday's game I see a lot of names being mentioned as keys (not so much Crystal) but I think it may well be time where CD blows up.

edit: throwing salt over shoulder.

Reaction Score
giving up roughly one more basket per game then last season when the Huskies had 2 NDPOY’s on the team.
In the words of Johnny Carson, I did not know that. Wonderful stat.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

UConn was thwarted in an attempted entry to the ACC by Boston College right from the start way back when.

You're wrong. Then BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo was even quoted afterward as admitting they consulted with ESPN and acted in concert. Maybe a slip of the tongue or maybe not, but it's the truth. It was all about money in ESPN's case, and frankly BC would have needed help to influence the vote because they were and still are an outlier in the ACC. BC was wet pants scared that ACC membership would legitimize UCONN and marginalize BC in their shared territory and markets.

Reaction Score
At this point in the tournament, you begin seeing teams with height. This year is no exception. Remaining teams with height= Baylor, ND, Stanford, MSS, even Louisville. UCLA has a rebounding reputation. Beginning with UCLA, each of the above opponents will present a rebounding opportunity.

Reaction Score
This is an easy read. UConn must get the ball through the hoop more times than UCLA and have more points consistently for 4 quarters not like the last game. Let's not miss umpteen layups, hand the ball over to the other team with stupid passing, and continually try making 3's when you are missing and just pass the dam ball to the best inside player in women's basketball to make two points every time, Pheesa Collier.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. In fact, I give a decided edge to UCLA. This does not mean (to state the obvious) that UConn cannot win, or (to state the obvious) that I do not hope they do. As noted in the Towson postgame thread, "everything changes when outside shots go down"--or, one might add, when outside shots do not go down. Anything less than a strong night of outside shooting for UConn can spell defeat. And even that is no guarantee. UCLA is no cream puff. They've scored at least 73 points per game in their last nine games, including 83, 89 and 85 in their last three.

So . . . make no mistake, given UCLA's length and athleticism, its confidence and momentum, if and when UCLA starts to hang close, get a lead, or even perhaps stretch a lead a bit into the first five minutes of the third quarter, they may begin to smell blood in the water; and things could get ugly for UConn. Under such circumstances UCLA, could win this by 15 points, perhaps even more.
When the 3 isn't going and Napheesa is triple teams. Uconn has options it has not used. When 3 players guard ONE, 2 players have no one guarding them--take advantage of that. When the 3 isn't going, find ways to score within 7 ft. Walker and Napheesa are great from that distance. CW is the best driving player since RENE, give her the ball and say Go, win this game (as he did to Danger against Baylor as a frosh.) When they are driving, tighten up the zone and let the 3's fly--usually they are only a 30 percent shot at best. Hit the boards.

Reaction Score

You are exactly right. The problem started when BC left the Big East for the ACC and Jim Calhoun called them out publicly for it. That had nothing to do w/ESPN.

Reaction Score
This is an easy read. UConn must get the ball through the hoop more times than UCLA and have more points consistently for 4 quarters not like the last game. Let's not miss umpteen layups, hand the ball over to the other team with stupid passing, and continually try making 3's when you are missing and just pass the dam ball to the best inside player in women's basketball to make two points every time, Pheesa Collier.
@veryoldog--on the last part we disagree, forgive me. One of the problems with recent games is: Opponents know the ball is going to 2 players KLS/Napheesa and Phee is the first option so she is surrounded. UC tries too often to get passes to Phee because she is a machine but even machines have passes taken or miss a shot once in a while. Use Phee as a decoy and stop the 3's that aren't falling, give the ball to CW and Walker and Danger and make the short jumpers or attack the basket as Phee pulls defenders away. But don't take the not falling 3 without mates under the boards. That's a gift.

Reaction Score
UConn's last game was a bad one and they still scored 82 points. I'll take UConn even on a bad day. I'll win that bet over 94% of the time.
Love your confidence. And the hi-offense output is a persuasive observation. But when I bet (which is rare), it is always against the team I want to win. If I have to suffer defeat, I may as well get paid for it.

Reaction Score
CD cannot dribble into a sea of opponents like she did a few times during the buffalo game.

Reaction Score
We must stay out of foul trouble. Buffalo caught up because we were in foul trouble and with no bench we cant play defense. If the refs call the regional games like they did the other nite we could have problems I dont think we loose to UCLA. I expect UCLA to be tired from the trip and the interviews when they get here. When UConn is in big time foul trouble they struggle shooting. They settle to much for outside shots and dont dribble penetrate. Foul trouble puts pressure on them imo. Its tuff to play when your in foul trouble which results in ... defenseless. Much like the FF last season. UConn got in foul trouble and ND went nuts scoring. ND lived at the line and I believe UConn outscored ND from the floor by a bunch.
That’s why recruiting needs to step up. UCONN is always in this situation lack of depth. Going 6 players deep isn’t going to cut it when u go up against teams with multiple players coming of the bench .. making it to the final four will be a struggle .. Notre Dame and Baylor will be the issue and UCONN will have to play the perfect game to win either game if they get there. ND us not the same team w beat back in November. UCLA is athletic and awesome on the boards which we are not. I think we can take Louisville .. but if Oregon State wins there multiple size could be a issue.. now that team has size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom