UCF | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCF

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And in most years when Notre Dame plays a fairly difficult schedule, they lose.

When you only schedule 12 games, that's the risk you take. You're banking on at least half the schedule being strong. Your chances should be more limited if you want to play 12 than if you play 13. You either:
1. run the table against a strong 12 game schedule (was not the case);
2. play a 13th game.

Notre Dame played 12 games against mostly competition in "down years". Notre Dame's only impressive win was a close win in week 1 against Michigan. The same team that Ohio State pummeled not too long ago. Notre Dame's only other significant win - against Northwestern - was also overshadowed by Ohio State. Meanwhile, UCF hasn't lost in 2 years and they can't even crack the serious "also receiving votes category".

I just want to know how Notre Dame's 2018 schedule was any different than UCF's schedule when the "marquee" names on it are ALL in down years? Not to mention, UCF played one more game than Notre Dame and they won that too.

The Big 12 just got a Championship Game shoved down their throats after years of fighting tooth and nail against it. They were told the 13th data point was important. It's clearly not. What's most important is the name of your school. If you are Notre Dame or Alabama, you can play 12 games and get in. Everyone else can go punt. I just don't know how Notre Dame got elevated to that status. Like I said in the first sentence, when Notre Dame plays against good teams, they lose. And they are going to lose big against Clemson.

Not a Notre Dame fan but they did pound Cuse which is a good win. I know some hate them but they won out and should be in the playoffs as should UCF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And in most years when Notre Dame plays a fairly difficult schedule, they lose.

When you only schedule 12 games, that's the risk you take. You're banking on at least half the schedule being strong. Your chances should be more limited if you want to play 12 than if you play 13. You either:
1. run the table against a strong 12 game schedule (was not the case);
2. play a 13th game.

Notre Dame played 12 games against mostly competition in "down years". Notre Dame's only impressive win was a close win in week 1 against Michigan. The same team that Ohio State pummeled not too long ago. Notre Dame's only other significant win - against Northwestern - was also overshadowed by Ohio State. Meanwhile, UCF hasn't lost in 2 years and they can't even crack the serious "also receiving votes category".

I just want to know how Notre Dame's 2018 schedule was any different than UCF's schedule when the "marquee" names on it are ALL in down years? Not to mention, UCF played one more game than Notre Dame and they won that too.

The Big 12 just got a Championship Game shoved down their throats after years of fighting tooth and nail against it. They were told the 13th data point was important. It's clearly not. What's most important is the name of your school. If you are Notre Dame or Alabama, you can play 12 games and get in. Everyone else can go punt. I just don't know how Notre Dame got elevated to that status. Like I said in the first sentence, when Notre Dame plays against good teams, they lose. And they are going to lose big against Clemson.

Michigan hardly had a "down" year. They finished at #7. Stanford was #7 when ND played them. VT was ranked too, as was Syracuse. FSU and USC certainly were down, but you schedule these games years in advance, and those are hardly "cupcakes". Pitt was in the ACC title game, Northwestern in the B1G title game. Notre Dame likely played more bowl teams than the others did. Alabama generally plays a terrible OOC schedule.

Notre Dame belongs in. Does UCF? It's unfair that they haven't managed to get in despite two years without a loss. But are they a top 4 team based on who they beat? No, probably not. We need this playoff to expand to 6 teams. The cancellation of the UNC game didn't help UCF.

What does UCF need to do? Get Florida Atlantic and South Carolina State off the schedule and replace them with stronger teams. They can't afford a cupcake filled non conference schedule like Alabama can.

Reaction Score
Michigan hardly had a "down" year. They finished at #7. Stanford was #7 when ND played them. VT was ranked too, as was Syracuse. FSU and USC certainly were down, but you schedule these games years in advance, and those are hardly "cupcakes". Pitt was in the ACC title game, Northwestern in the B1G title game. Notre Dame likely played more bowl teams than the others did. Alabama generally plays a terrible OOC schedule.

Notre Dame belongs in. Does UCF? It's unfair that they haven't managed to get in despite two years without a loss. But are they a top 4 team based on who they beat? No, probably not. We need this playoff to expand to 6 teams. The cancellation of the UNC game didn't help UCF.

What does UCF need to do? Get Florida Atlantic and South Carolina State off the schedule and replace them with stronger teams. They can't afford a cupcake filled non conference schedule like Alabama can.
If it were 8 teams UCF would be ranked 10th or so. The cartel would not let them in. Same excuse...schedule etc.

Reaction Score
Pitt

Agree. Also, ND won 5 games by one score or less (7,8,5,5,7 point wins). That's less than the refereeing advantage they get each game. I remember the 2 calls against UConn before we scored the touchdown in regulation.

It's never clear until teams play and since they play only once it only proves who wins that game. Don't think Auburn was expecting to lose to UCF last year, don't think LSU really likes all the pressure of upholding the P5 and SEC "REP" against this G5 outsider.

Let's revisit after see how Clemson and LSU games shake out. LSU may not be Clemson but they did beat a Georgia team that had Alabama on the ropes. Not predicting Clemson and UCF wins but would not be surprised if they both win, and it isn't close in either game.

Reaction Score
Clemson will bury ND and lay bare the distorted criteria used to pick these teams.

Reaction Score
The SEC's Greg Sankey was being a bit self-serving in this clip blaming UCF for not playing a harder schedule.

SEC commish: UCF should fix issue, stop blaming

Its much tougher to schedule OCC football games that basketball simply due to the number games available. Plus, UCF has stated it is willing to play whomever while the SEC has been very reluctant to play in the sandbox on a fair basis, including Alabama. The Tide typically schedule a competitive game at a neutral site (where the Tide are usually closer to than their opponent) early in the season and then a bunch of lower tier teams later on to provide breaks during SEC play. In 6 seasons, they have not played a top P5 team on the road during the regular season. Also, while the top of the SEC is really good, the bottom is not great. Here's Alabama's OCC schedule since 2013:
  • 2013: 1) Virginia Tech in Atlanta, 2) Colorado State home, 3) Georgia State home, 4) Tennessee-Chattanooga home
  • 2014: 1) West Virginia in Atlanta, 2) Florida Atlantic, 3) Southern Mississippi, 4) Western Carolina
  • 2015: 1) Wisconsin in Dallas, 2) Middle-Tennessee, 3) Louisiana-Monroe, 4) Charleston Southern
  • 2016: 1) USC in Dallas, 2) Western Kentucky home, 3) Kent State home, 4) Tennessee-Chattanooga home
  • 2017:1) Florida St. in Atlanta, 2) Fresno St, 3) Colorado St, 4) Mercer
  • 2018: 1) Louisville in Orlando, 2) Arkansas St home, 3) Louisiana at Lafayette home, 4) Citadel home
  • 2019: 1) Duke in Atlanta, 2) New Mexico St, 3) Southern Mississippi, 4) Western Carolina
Wow, that's a tough OCC schedule. LOL. UCF's OCC schedule, i.e. the part it can control, is better. Maybe the Tide should lay-off trashing BCS/I-AA teams and instead put it on the lien and play at game againts UCF. Figure it out on the field. Just like the SEC did with their basketball conference.

Reaction Score
I like Dari Nowkhah’s take on this. Dig up every email response/declined invite for OOC matchups that UCF has received over the years - and publish them...publicly shame these programs. Be transparant. Let the committee and the public see exactly who has said no. I’d love that!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I like Dari Nowkhah’s take on this. Dig up every email response/declined invite for OOC matchups that UCF has received over the years - and publish them...publicly shame these programs. Be transparant. Let the committee and the public see exactly who has said no. I’d love that!
Would be interesting to see. UCFs schedule is not a result of themselves, but more so a result of the teams who turn them down.

Edit: to a point, I wonder how much UCF is demanding in these interactions. Are they turning down 2 for 1s, 1 offs and demanding a home and home or a series or are they willing to play anything and still getting shut down. I wouldn’t be shocked if they were being stubborn in turning down games not on their terms.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see. UCFs schedule is not a result of themselves, but more so a result of the teams who turn them down.

Edit: to a point, I wonder how much UCF is demanding in these interactions.

Well, let's think about this. When the Big12 was looking to expand, they were an active participant in trying to get in. That means "yes" they are trying to demand these interactions.

And if the NCAA wants to demand equality in scheduling, then those hypocrites should also demand equality in conferences. Easy thing to fix if it's actually a concern.

It's not a concern, of course. It's a tool to use in order to keep certain schools down...

Reaction Score

Edit: to a point, I wonder how much UCF is demanding in these interactions. Are they turning down 2 for 1s, 1 offs and demanding a home and home or a series or are they willing to play anything and still getting shut down. I wouldn’t be shocked if they were being stubborn in turning down games not on their terms.
USF actually feared adding UCF to the Big East/AAC. UCF is quite high on itself, for whatever reasons.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
USF actually feared adding UCF to the Big East/AAC. UCF is quite high on itself, for whatever reasons.

Well, UCF hadn't beaten them prior to joining. Now, UCF has won 4 of the 6 games against them since being added, so I guess USF was right to be afraid...

Reaction Score
26 - 0 in Football maybe? We think UConn should get a B10 bid being the worst team in Div 1.

Reaction Score
26 - 0 in Football maybe? We think UConn should get a B10 bid being the worst team in Div 1.
We better hope Edsall builds this program back to respectability.

Reaction Score
Damn right ; but, finding the best team is what matters in FCS. In FBS, or whatever its called nowadays, its about the money and the ego.

I did see that UMaine trashed Jacksonville St. A Florida team playing in Maine in December, now that's home field advantage. Oh, where's our old friend from James Madison? The Dukes got beat by Colgate, who will now be given the opportunity to not get crushed by North Dakota St.

My wife's family and I (hey have to root for an old Yankee rival) are happy as U Maine went out to Utah and upset Weber St. 23-18. They are off to their first ever D-1AA semi-final. Good for them. I caught the second half of the game and their 'Black Hole' defense is really good. Maybe UConn should look to hire their DC?

Not surprisingly, North Dakota St. crushed Colgate 35-0. So, its South Dakota St at North Dakota St and Maine at Eastern Washington (on their red turf field) in the semi-finals (Orono ME to Spokane WA, there's a long road-trip). The end result will be a undisputed 1-AA football champion as 24 teams were invited with only the Ivy League (by choice) not participating.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It would be easier to just use common sense, like the committee is supposed to do. A team thst hasn't lost a game since 2016 is probably one of the 4 best teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom