UCF Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCF Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
This is my biggest criticism of Hurley. It never looks clear what the answer is...
I’m just watching the tv with my arms crossed bewildered just like Hurley ... like what are we running ... Adams is a ball dominate guard but you have him in no mans land on the perimeter as he watch alterique dribbling trying to slice n dice through the lane n then throws up a prayer over a 7-6 guy in the lane is laughable ... and mos times then not it’s either a block or a clank

Reaction Score
Polley's disappearance in the last 2 games has really hurt the team. they could have used a few 3's from him. jalen was a no show except for a drive to the basket pass off to Vital for a 3. A lot has been made about his 25 point effort , but the turnovers he made more than washed out his points. Even when he wasn't charged a turnover, his sloppy passes were questionable. they had no answer to Dawkins who was the diffeence in this game. That guy is gonna be huge for UCF going fwd.

Reaction Score
Well, @temery,you gave it a shot by retitling this thread, but this looks so far like an irredeemable pig pile.

TBH, I did not rush home to see the game. I put away the groceries at 43-42, had streaming difficulties downstairs, went upstairs & brought up the game and saw the score was...43-42.

Announcers said something about Jalen, and I thought, "Is he in the game?" before I saw him standing in the corner at the top left of the screen. He looked like slo-mo, so much so that I thought that he might be sick, and that he (and later the team) just wasn't good enough to get mad about today. This appears to be a minority opinion.

I think I'll go for a swim/sauna/steam/soak now. Not expecting much out of the additional comments when I get back either.

I certainly don't have anything good to add, and I don't see what I'd get out of complaining. A lot of you folks can do that much better than I.

Appreciate you wasting everyone’s time with your worthless post

Reaction Score
looks like last years team, oh yeah, pretty much the same players
The shock is how far this program has fallen.
No sense in looking at individual players, as a team, they are terrible.

Reaction Score
Anyone else see the UCF coaches yelling at Hurley during a timeout. It was a weird development... Hurley kept going at the refs and it seems the UCF coaches didn’t like it. Strange.

Hurley going at the refs and the opponents becoming annoyed at it? Not strange strange at all.
That's just how Danny does it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What's a decent amount?
SMU - W
Cincy - L
Tulsa - L
Tulane - W
Wichita - W
UCF - L
ECU - W
Temple - L
Memphis - L
Houston - L
SMU - L
Cincy - L
Wichita - W
USF - W
Temple - W
ECU - W

17-16 (8-10)

Reaction Score
New nickname is "Neutral". Doesn't seem to have any extra gears physically or emotionally during the game.

Reaction Score
We were good when Cobb was getting double-doubles. For whatever reason that is gone now. He was the only hope for the front court. When he was relegated to the bench he lost all semblance of looking like he new what the hell is going on out there. Lost motivation, confidence or connection with the team, idk. And yes I know he always sucked at D, but the double-doubles were nice.

Our guards don't know when to feed the post. Timing and accuracy aren't there because they obviously don't work on it and all the assumptions about what our perimeter offense could accomplish were wrong.

Aside from Jalen's issues (whatever they are), the biggest mystery of this team to me is how Tyler Polley goes from the best shooter on this team to the worst. At this point I'd rather have Cobb out there heaving them up. This team needs a psychologist intervention.

There's hope with some of the guys coming back and the incoming talent. Polley will hopefully get over his slump. We obviously need a big man as well. At this point it's pretty clear Hurley doesn't have all the answers even if those answers exist. So there won't be a miracle on ice, or whatever surface they've been skating on at the XL. But Coach is going to have to meld the guys who figure into his future plans into something resembling a team with a purpose. And try to fit more than a couple of new faces into the system for next year. I realize most of the better minds around here had their expectations calibrated for a 3 year rebuild already with progress likely to be a slow grind. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
We are so easy to defend...

We can not handle a big agressive 3/wing like Dawkins or that Cook on Iowa.. Other teams exploit the hell out of that.. We have nobody who can defend that guy..

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We can not handle a big agressive 3/wing like Dawkins or that Cook on Iowa.. Other teams exploit the hell out of that.. We have nobody who can defend that guy..

And that is a problem that cannot really be fixed with the current personnel unfortun lately in man to man defense.

I wish we had a big strong athletic wing on this team.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
And that is a problem that cannot really be fixed with the current personnel unfortun lately in man to man defense.

It's this situation where playing 2 guards/3 forwards would be helpful. Need more size to handle the switches on guys like that.

Edit:
Don't know how it happened, meant to quote this post from @Captbluefin:
We are so easy to defend...

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I wish we had a big, strong athletic player on this team. At any position.

I watched on DVR. Quick thoughts:
1. Out physicaled again by a stronger more physical team
2. Al had a superb game
3. Jalen lacks the athleticism to get free from a good defender. UCF shut him down.
4. Why are our guys falling down all the time? Why don’t they know how to draw fouls? So many chances to crash hard into moving defenders and instead they dart away and fumble the ball or fall down. Hit some people.
5. Cobb gave us a little something. Carlton...a little less. Polley rebounded aggressively but he’s a zero on the offensive end right now.
6. UCF Defense is legit. Our ball movement was decent but we got sloppy and missed our few looks.
7. Some really bad foul calls in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I don't know where to start. Instead of getting better as a season goes, the team seems to be regressing.

Their half-court offense doesn't seem very imaginative and I think Hurley should change it up more often throughout the game. They ran this weave at the top that was completely ineffective today.

It's been pretty much agreed that our front Court is not very productive offensively. Doesn't seem like there's much of a fix for that. But what drives me crazy are the stupid fouls that Carlton picks up every game. He often does something really stupid right after they lose possession of the ball.

I'm not sure what they can do to fix things. The only thing I'd like to see them do a little bit more is to run plays that can free up some good square up threes, even if they're deep. Adams, Vital and Gilbert all have really good range.

It's also important to drive the ball into the paint to draw fouls, but they turn the ball over at such an alarming rate and aren't very good at finishing in traffic. So I guess I'm at a loss as to what this team can do to improve things.

I think the fundamental problem is they simply lack talent. Sometimes you can make up for a lack of talent with good execution and chemistry but they show very little of that.

They're only two games into conference play, but things look quite alarming so far.

Reaction Score
I didn't read all 5 pages in this thread but I did read the first page or so. I have not been happy with Jalen's play. He didn't play good offensively today. But the posters saying he was disinterested and not engaged are wrong. This might be the most defense I've ever witnessed from him. He was high fiving and encouraging the team all game. Unfortunately against a good team he needs 25 points like the last game or we don't have a chance.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I am not as bummed as everyone else. Outside of Jalen, I thought this was a better effort than over the last couple games. I could see the beginnings of something coming together, unfortunately, without our star.

I almost hope Hurley has given up. Otherwise, he is not the coach I hoped he was.

Reaction Score
I am not as bummed as everyone else. Outside of Jalen, I thought this was a better effort than over the last couple games. I could see the beginnings of something coming together, unfortunately, without our star.

I almost hope Hurley has given up. Otherwise, he is not the coach I hoped he was.

He is the kind of guy that gives up after two conference games. So, you're all set.

Reaction Score
I am so sick and tired of this Jalen bashing. The mob seems to be convinced Jalen is done, doesn't care. This is the same mob that thought Hurley was the second coming....and he may be, but it only takes about 4 or 5 games to see another lynch mob forming against him as well.
How about maybe there is a good reason for Jalen's performance that the mob just hasn't figured out yet.
Do you actually think Bazz or Kemba or Gordon would perform at the same level with this team?....ie....with no front court?....think of the front court those guys had. It is absolutely not fair with the hand Jalen was dealt when the past guards played on top 20 teams and traditional starting five caliber players at every position.
They didn't have to experience this amount of team injuries, players leaving, the influx of transfers to fill holes, different coaches and styles.
I commend Jalen for sticking it out for four years, and he has played a ton of minutes over those years and does not deserve this. He has been challenged to save this team where I don't think any of his predecessors might be able to do as well given the same circumstances.

Reaction Score
I am so sick and tired of this Jalen bashing. The mob seems to be convinced Jalen is done, doesn't care. This is the same mob that thought Hurley was the second coming....and he may be, but it only takes about 4 or 5 games to see another lynch mob forming against him as well.
How about maybe there is a good reason for Jalen's performance that the mob just hasn't figured out yet.
Do you actually think Bazz or Kemba or Gordon would perform at the same level with this team?....ie....with no front court?....think of the front court those guys had. It is absolutely not fair with the hand Jalen was dealt when the past guards played on top 20 teams and traditional starting five caliber players at every position.
They didn't have to experience this amount of team injuries, players leaving, the influx of transfers to fill holes, different coaches and styles.
I commend Jalen for sticking it out for four years, and he has played a ton of minutes over those years and does not deserve this. He has been challenged to save this team where I don't think any of his predecessors might be able to do as well given the same circumstances.
Has anyone bothered to look at his career stats? Despite averaging about 8 less minutes a game and a change in role (not being primary ball handler) his numbers are right where he has been the last 2 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom