UCF Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCF Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
There has to be something physically, mentally or emotionally wrong with him.

He had a fantastic start of the season scoring very efficiently but has put up some real poopy play lately.
That’s my point exactly.

Reaction Score
Prior to this season, the only way this team was going to be any good is for Adams, Vital and AG to be one of the top backcourts in the country... they are not that in any way... mostly because Adams never elevated his game.. They are still very good but they have to play impeccable to beat a real good UCF team. We have absolutely no inside game on both sides of the ball. We can all bitch and moan for the rest of the year but until we get new blood next year, get used to this....

We were good when Cobb was getting double-doubles. For whatever reason that is gone now. He was the only hope for the front court. When he was relegated to the bench he lost all semblance of looking like he new what the hell is going on out there. Lost motivation, confidence or connection with the team, idk. And yes I know he always sucked at D, but the double-doubles were nice.

Reaction Score
So, we're all looking at next year, I assume?

On the current roster I'd keep Gilbert, Wilson, Vital, Polley. You've got Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney coming in. I'm +/- on Whaley and Carlton, because both have length and, I would hope, the ability to improve enough to at least spell starters and contribute fouls when a few minutes are needed. And B. Adams, +/- also. That leaves 3-6 spots available.

Priorities: Big men, and shooters.

In the group above there are two solid point/lead guards (Gilbert, Gaffney). A long athletic 4 (Akok), a four who usually can shoot (Polley, the last two games notwithstanding). An athletic 3 who can't shoot (Wilson). And a SG/SF who can we think can shoot (Bouknight). That's not enough. Getting Cockburn would be big, Cockburn and Wahab bigger. I'd also load up on additional size, almost regardless of rank, and guys who can shoot, almost regardless of rank.

But all of them have to show some BB IQ or don't bring them in. We used to have the hoop-smartest team in the NCAA on the floor. Now we have the back row of the class.
A few Michael haynes’ would bode well for our roster.

Reaction Score
I really think the 3 guard lineup is a core issue with this team. I get that the talent is weak at other positions, but we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by having three undersized guards on the floor all the time. We have had our asses kicked by a forward in just about every game lately, and this is a core reason. It’s not too hard to score at 6’6” when you’re guarded by a 5’11” guard.

In a way, we're doing ourselves a favor because otherwise we'd have to start 3 of Polley, Wilson, Whaley, Cobb, and Carlton. 3(!).

Give me the 3 guards and scrapping for rebounds.

Reaction Score
You must also be a Carmelo Anthony fan. A guy that puts up numbers, disappears in crunch time, makes stupid mistakes by forcing the issue and leaves wide open shooters standing there as he goes one on three with his head down.

Future hof-er Carmelo Anthony?

Reaction Score
I really think the 3 guard lineup is a core issue with this team. I get that the talent is weak at other positions, but we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by having three undersized guards on the floor all the time. We have had our asses kicked by a forward in just about every game lately, and this is a core reason. It’s not too hard to score at 6’6” when you’re guarded by a 5’11” guard.

Problem is we have no true SF's on this team. I was hoping Sid could come into this role, but he's nowhere near ready yet. Polley is much too slow. Give me a Giffey right now.

Reaction Score
Problem is we have no true SF's on this team. I was hoping Sid could come into this role, but he's nowhere near ready yet. Polley is much too slow. Give me a Giffey right now.
Yeah, I mean I get it. And maybe this is what Hurley means when he says “blow it up”. Play Whaley, Polley and Wilson more with Carlton.

But I think there are other issues too with the three guards. I have yet to see all three play effectively together, no one is being accountable for their role, because it’s shared. They fail to effectively utilize their speed, don’t spread the floor or turn over the other team. Was there a single fast break point scored in this game? It just isn’t working.

Even if the team is less talented with a two guard lineup, at least it will be a better matchup for our opponents and might be the best team we can put on the floor.

Reaction Score
I disagree. We have no centers leaving below average and small pfs to play the position.

Reaction Score
With all this, to add to the confusion. How did we flat out dominate the oboards????!!!

Reaction Score
I disagree. We have no centers leaving below average and small pfs to play the position.

I meant problem with his post that the 3 guard isn't working, not problem with the team in general.

Reaction Score
Bigger problem is that when things go bad around here the last few years they go nuclear and snowball. Kofi, I pray not, is giving me the chills and I can see some guys thinking of other options. God I hope not. That would be the death knell. This style will either stir interests for pt or scare guys off. They all want to win at the end of the day and pro aspirations or not, want to have great memories of college Head bang

Reaction Score
Besides Gilbert and vital, no one could score. Jalen had 8 and I was expecting 20. Cobb and Carlton have combined for like 10 points in 4 games, they can’t score. Idk what’s up with Polley bc he can’t hit the 3 anymore. Sid needs to develop. It’s easy to see that at times he’s not comfortable out there yet. He will be a great player come 2020

Reaction Score
Y’all can hound Jalen but he was our 3rd highest scorer... with 8 points. No one else played the game of basketball today. It’s frustrating when the team has shown great offensive ability, but they come into conference play and score under 70 each game.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Two biggest plusses for me today:

1. Polley's rebounding - He can do it! I was really critical of him, but he had a few nice boards today with much improved positioning. Credit where credit is due, When's he's slump shooting he has to do that. Unfortunately, rebounding wasn't the problem today.
2. AG - Hit a few 3's and had a few wow drives. A few terrible drives too, but I'm focusing on the good.
We out O rebounded 17 to 0

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Call me blindly optimistic, but I think this team can win a decent amount of games in conference. The roster is what it is - we're underperforming because we have inferior players.

The real problem occurred two years ago when Juwan Durham, Steve Enoch, and Vance Jackson all transferred. That would have been our front court. You can't compete when you constantly try to piece together rosters with mid-major talent.

Reaction Score
Call me blindly optimistic, but I think this team can win a decent amount of games in conference. The roster is what it is - we're underperforming because we have inferior players.

The real problem occurred two years ago when Juwan Durham, Steve Enoch, and Vance Jackson all transferred. That would have been our front court. You can't compete when you constantly try to piece together rosters with mid-major talent.
Not to start an argument but aren’t we getting what we should with inferior players? The problem is we need a coach that can offer Xs and Os, can’t push a rope and can’t make inferior players over achieve to often.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not to start an argument but aren’t we getting what we should with inferior players? The problem is we need a coach that can offer Xs and Os, can’t push a rope and can’t make inferior players over achieve to often.
I think Hurley realized long ago that this roster doesn't respond to coaching well and has a bad attitude.

Reaction Score

What's a decent amount?

Reaction Score
Anyone else see the UCF coaches yelling at Hurley during a timeout. It was a weird development... Hurley kept going at the refs and it seems the UCF coaches didn’t like it. Strange.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom