UCF Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCF Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
When was the last time we had a roster without a handful of guys who aren't "UConn players". 2009? If the shoe fits...

Reaction Score
It’s just time to move on, and move forward.

JA, thanks for the 70 foot shot.
He doesn’t need to see the floor anymore.
Same with smith and Cobb.

It’s been said enough already, but the majority/all of the minutes must go to the underclassman. See what you have for next year.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is my biggest criticism of Hurley. It never looks clear what the answer is...
Against man we run a high guard weave where no one is looking for an outside shot, only looking to drive, and which creates no mis-matches because every defender out high just switches.

We do the same against zone. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Alterique is the best player on this team and it isn’t close. He’s going to have a much better career than Jalen.
He has his own limitations with size. Our team always looks small and skinny out there.

Reaction Score
There has to be something physically, mentally or emotionally wrong with him.

He had a fantastic start of the season scoring very efficiently but has put up some real poopy play lately.

Not hard to figure it out: The opponents got quicker and tougher. Doesn't have the quickness to get by without someone stripping him, never had the jump shot to keep anyone honest. But he still thinks he can, so he tries and takes a bad, forced shot or turns it over. He also plays heavy.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
So, we're all looking at next year, I assume?

On the current roster I'd keep Gilbert, Wilson, Vital, Polley. You've got Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney coming in. I'm +/- on Whaley and Carlton, because both have length and, I would hope, the ability to improve enough to at least spell starters and contribute fouls when a few minutes are needed. And B. Adams, +/- also. That leaves 3-6 spots available.

Priorities: Big men, and shooters.

In the group above there are two solid point/lead guards (Gilbert, Gaffney). A long athletic 4 (Akok), a four who usually can shoot (Polley, the last two games notwithstanding). An athletic 3 who can't shoot (Wilson). And a SG/SF who can we think can shoot (Bouknight). That's not enough. Getting Cockburn would be big, Cockburn and Wahab bigger. I'd also load up on additional size, almost regardless of rank, and guys who can shoot, almost regardless of rank.

But all of them have to show some BB IQ or don't bring them in. We used to have the hoop-smartest team in the NCAA on the floor. Now we have the back row of the class.
I forgot about Diarra, but can you blame me?

Reaction Score
Prior to this season, the only way this team was going to be any good is for Adams, Vital and AG to be one of the top backcourts in the country... they are not that in any way... mostly because Adams never elevated his game.. They are still very good but they have to play impeccable to beat a real good UCF team. We have absolutely no inside game on both sides of the ball. We can all bitch and moan for the rest of the year but until we get new blood next year, get used to this....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alterique is the best player on this team and it isn’t close. He’s going to have a much better career than Jalen.

That's not saying much. And AG plays like he's the only one on the floor.

Reaction Score
Idiotic. Kid put up something like 25/6/4/3 three days ago playing 38 minutes. This thread is peak 'yardin.
You must also be a Carmelo Anthony fan. A guy that puts up numbers, disappears in crunch time, makes stupid mistakes by forcing the issue and leaves wide open shooters standing there as he goes one on three with his head down.

Reaction Score
The majority of our team are guys that had no business ever getting a UConn scholarship. It's what happens when a coach runs the program into the ground, you can keep hoping they will become impact players but it ain't going to happen. Jalen was a top 25 recruit coming out of high school and the #5 point guard in the nation. He's now a senior (old for his class) and he's not doing anything positively to help this team grow and win games.
What can Jalen do to make Polley hit an open 3? I agree Jalen's habits and demeanor leave much to be desired. But it is a team sport. BTW, I expect to see us improve over time. That is how I will evaluate the coaches. Do we improve from here on out? We better, since we are pretty much at the bottom now.

Reaction Score
What can Jalen do to make Polley hit an open 3? I agree Jalen's habits and demeanor leave much to be desired. But it is a team sport. BTW, I expect to see us improve over time. That is how I will evaluate the coaches. Do we improve from here on out? We better, since we are pretty much at the bottom now.
Be the senior, leader, and best player on the team everybody thought he could be.

It’s not happened and it won’t happen. He plays like a freshman.

Time to move on. I’m sure he’s a great kid, but enough time has been wasted on him

Reaction Score
I really think the 3 guard lineup is a core issue with this team. I get that the talent is weak at other positions, but we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by having three undersized guards on the floor all the time. We have had our asses kicked by a forward in just about every game lately, and this is a core reason. It’s not too hard to score at 6’6” when you’re guarded by a 5’11” guard.

Reaction Score
The players are doing whatever they want out there. It’s not coaching it’s the players not keeping there head in the game. They gave up
That didn’t fly with last coach so I cannot allow that excuse for this one.

Reaction Score
Looked very much like K.O.'s
Diving s little bit is the ONLY difference this year. Vital was bound to improve as he’s a 3 yr starter as a junior. Cobb losing weight I guess counts. We have a free trainer at my job. 7 people have now run marathons within the last 18 months. Not me. Why wouldn’t Cobb tighten up? Oh Hurley stands like ko used to as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom