UCF Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCF Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Has anyone bothered to look at his career stats? Despite averaging about 8 less minutes a game and a change in role (not being primary ball handler) his numbers are right where he has been the last 2 years.

Exactly. He’s putting up numbers whether you like the results or not. When a guy can score like he does and look awful doing it, you know he’s a talented player. I’m fairly convinced he needs the ball in his hands more. He likes to create in the lane and get short jumpers. A traditional SG needs a better deep ball to keep the defense honest.

I like Alterique and I understand what Hurley is trying to do with him, but moving Jalen off the ball is proving disruptive. If we aren’t going to move the ball quickly with great passing and a motion offense, let’s just let Jalen create off the dribble and let Alterique play SG. He’s a better shooter anyway. Maybe Jalen can draw some defenders and kick it out to Rique, Polly and Wilson and mix it up some. I want Alterique to develop for the future, but our fan base needs to win some games. It’s been rough being a fan for some time now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, we're all looking at next year, I assume?

On the current roster I'd keep Gilbert, Wilson, Vital, Polley. You've got Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney coming in. I'm +/- on Whaley and Carlton, because both have length and, I would hope, the ability to improve enough to at least spell starters and contribute fouls when a few minutes are needed. And B. Adams, +/- also. That leaves 3-6 spots available.

Priorities: Big men, and shooters.

In the group above there are two solid point/lead guards (Gilbert, Gaffney). A long athletic 4 (Akok), a four who usually can shoot (Polley, the last two games notwithstanding). An athletic 3 who can't shoot (Wilson). And a SG/SF who can we think can shoot (Bouknight). That's not enough. Getting Cockburn would be big, Cockburn and Wahab bigger. I'd also load up on additional size, almost regardless of rank, and guys who can shoot, almost regardless of rank.

But all of them have to show some BB IQ or don't bring them in. We used to have the hoop-smartest team in the NCAA on the floor. Now we have the back row of the class.
It really continues to amaze me that not one of our bigs over the last 3 years have been any good, it is almost like they get worse?!?!

Very hard to watch & I think mentally & physically it destroys our guards, everything has to be penetration & breaking your defender off the dribble.

No put backs, no rebounds, no blocks, no 12-18 foot jumper, no post moves, no drop steps, no nothing!!

So hard to accept & watch, can just one big guy get any good in this program?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have been mildly disappointed by Hurley as a game coach, but I also thing there isn't much to work with on this team. I think the team is playing hard and fast. They just are what they are from a talent perspective.

I have two strategy issues:

1) Gilbert and Adams try to split defenders inside the 3 point line all the time. That is a low percentage move at this level of basketball, and resulted in about 5 turnovers when they tried it yesterday. They have to be looking to pass when the double team comes.

2) It is midseason, and the team still doesn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations. I thought the officiating sucked yesterday, but UConn was still late on a lot of rotations which resulted in fouls or easy baskets. I don't think the coach should be patient about this. If he is confident in his system, then he has to start benching players that can't figure it out.

Reaction Score
I have been mildly disappointed by Hurley as a game coach, but I also thing there isn't much to work with on this team. I think the team is playing hard and fast. They just are what they are from a talent perspective.

I have two strategy issues:

1) Gilbert and Adams try to split defenders inside the 3 point line all the time. That is a low percentage move at this level of basketball, and resulted in about 5 turnovers when they tried it yesterday. They have to be looking to pass when the double team comes.

2) It is midseason, and the team still doesn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations. I thought the officiating sucked yesterday, but UConn was still late on a lot of rotations which resulted in fouls or easy baskets. I don't think the coach should be patient about this. If he is confident in his system, then he has to start benching players that can't figure it out.
Not wrong here. But, hypothetically, lets say he benches players. If he benches Cobb or Carlton, are we better with Whaley? Bench Adams or Vital, are we better with B. Adams and T. Smith? Playing either Polley or Wilson is already a net negative. Point is, Hurley is stuck. The entire roster, sans one or 2, is not high major quality.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not wrong here. But, hypothetically, lets say he benches players. If he benches Cobb or Carlton, are we better with Whaley? Bench Adams or Vital, are we better with B. Adams and T. Smith? Playing either Polley or Wilson is already a net negative. Point is, Hurley is stuck. The entire roster, sans one or 2, is not high major quality.

I am only talking about defensive rotations when i suggest benching players. In college basketball, it is always 5 on 6 because the shot clock is an extra defender. If your team is consistently having defensive breakdowns due to late rotations with a 30 second shot clock, then something is seriously wrong. This is basketball fundamentals, and a middle school coach shouldn't be patient about it, much less a UConn coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom