U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 33 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry pal...luckily you have some pretty good freshman this year to keep you in the running for a while

And sophomores (Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Patberg) to team with those frosh (Young, Boley).

The vibes/noise out of the Dome have been fleeting/non-existent for a few weeks and that was underscored by MM's interview in the South Bend Tribune saying she was going after 4 or 5 recruits in 2018 (one of which is Kaitlyn Gilbert, who we're excited about). Plus, I perfectly get the rationale for Megatron coming to UConn and Westbrook to Tennessee.

But, darn, they are awfully talented players. Congrats, once again, to the Huskies and Vols, respectively.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Boley and Young hit the floor tonight against Central Michigan.
BTW, I have given some thought to seeing a Young-Walker matchup. It won't be boring!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
To that question, Raoul's latest Boothe update:

I feel like she'll end up at Texas, but it's interesting that her final two both have pretty crowded rosters. I feel like she'd probably make a bigger individual impact at OSU, but she'd find more team success at Texas.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough Ohio State has ZERO recruits for 2017 and that was her last visit. Could be a positive sign for the Buckeyes. Guess we will find out today.

I'm also intrigued where Sidney Crooks and Chennedy Carter may land. Top 10 prospects looking to carve their own way based on their listed schools. Word is Carter was headed to Louisville but Dana Evans took the scholly first as they were both PGs!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough Ohio State has ZERO recruits for 2017 and that was her last visit. Could be a positive sign for the Buckeyes. Guess we will find out today.

I'm also intrigued where Sidney Crooks and Chennedy Carter may land. Top 10 prospects looking to carve their own way based on their listed schools. Word is Carter was headed to Louisville but Dana Evans took the scholly first as they were both PGs!

I can't say I'm surprised they have zero recruits this year though. They have 14 players on the roster now and only one Senior, Shayla Cooper, who Boothe would probably play a similar role as.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And sophomores (Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Patberg) to team with those frosh (Young, Boley).

The vibes/noise out of the Dome have been fleeting/non-existent for a few weeks and that was underscored by MM's interview in the South Bend Tribune saying she was going after 4 or 5 recruits in 2018 (one of which is Kaitlyn Gilbert, who we're excited about). Plus, I perfectly get the rationale for Megatron coming to UConn and Westbrook to Tennessee.

But, darn, they are awfully talented players. Congrats, once again, to the Huskies and Vols, respectively.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Boley and Young hit the floor tonight against Central Michigan.
BTW, I have given some thought to seeing a Young-Walker matchup. It won't be boring!

I'd like to see that game. Is it being televised/live streamed any where?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'd like to see that game. Is it being televised/live streamed any where?

I cut and pasted this from the ND article regarding the watch aspect and put in a link to the und.com article for some background on the Irish and Chippewas. Enjoy!

How to Watch/Listen
The first official steps towards creation of an ACC Network began this summer in conjunction with ESPN. All non-televised home games which used to be streamed live online through WatchND (including Friday night's) will now be streamed under the banner of ACC Network Extra. Games are available online at WatchESPN.com (formerly branded as ESPN3) or through the WatchESPN app. Streams are free to all ESPN subscribers.

Information on how to access WatchESPN is available here.

For those familiar with the WatchESPN, the direct link to the webcast of Friday night's game is available here.

#1/2 Irish Ready For Season Opener

Reaction Score
Boothe says she's offended and feels disrespected to only be ranked #3 in her class, feels she's #1, says she will average 45 points this year, guarantees NCs at Texas...

No. 3 recruit Boothe commits to Longhorns
45 Pts. a game? LOL. The Texas coaching staff and her future teammates must have enjoyed reading that. I wonder how many shots a game she'll need to get that.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think the 45points a game is referring to her last year of high school.

A little far fetched to AVERAGE 45 points but if you're the focal point of your high school team that lacks other big stars then 30 points per game isn't too crazy, especially when you already average 20+ ppg.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I cut and pasted this from the ND article regarding the watch aspect and put in a link to the und.com article for some background on the Irish and Chippewas. Enjoy!

How to Watch/Listen
The first official steps towards creation of an ACC Network began this summer in conjunction with ESPN. All non-televised home games which used to be streamed live online through WatchND (including Friday night's) will now be streamed under the banner of ACC Network Extra. Games are available online at WatchESPN.com (formerly branded as ESPN3) or through the WatchESPN app. Streams are free to all ESPN subscribers.

Information on how to access WatchESPN is available here.

For those familiar with the WatchESPN, the direct link to the webcast of Friday night's game is available here.

#1/2 Irish Ready For Season Opener

Thanks. I have access to the ACC net. I watched some of the Florida St/Jacksonville St game a moment ago on the ACC network on watch ESPN.

Reaction Score
I think the 45points a game is referring to her last year of high school.

A little far fetched to AVERAGE 45 points but if you're the focal point of your high school team that lacks other big stars then 30 points per game isn't too crazy, especially when you already average 20+ ppg.
Good catch on that SC. While laughing I missed that detail. However, if she's as good as she thinks, she probably should've done that last year. Her team only averaged 55 a game and the competition( at least in Fla.) isn't what you'd call stiff. I agree that 30 isn't unreasonable, she should probably get that on layups.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks. I have access to the ACC net. I watched some of the Florida St/Jacksonville St game a moment ago on the ACC network on watch ESPN.

Cool. This is basically an ND production that is marketed under the ACC brand (and presumably makes some kind of money for them and/or the cable provider, but is free for subscribers).

Bad news: frosh Jackie Young is out "for awhile" due to thumb injury suffered in the last exhibition. NG.

Still look forward to seeing start of season and frosh Erin Boley.

Reaction Score
Won't make Vols fans happy. UCLA is really bringing in some talent.

I think most of us that follow recruiting closely knew UCLA was likely her choice. No biggie.
Rennia Davis is still on the board for us and that one we feel a little more positive about. For a while she has been considered a GT lean but Tennessee was her last visit and it sounds like we have made a strong push for her.

2018 is shaping up well for us too and it sounds like we may not be waiting as long for commits.

I think UConn and Tennessee will be pulling in the top classes this year and next.

Texas continues to bring in big time recruits. They just landed Boothe and have a commitment from 2018 Sedona Prince.

ND got Patterson but overall had a weaker class this year. Maryland could very well miss out completely... much like Tennessee last year (with the exception of K. Harris of course)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2018 is shaping up well for us too and it sounds like we may not be waiting as long for commits.

I think UConn and Tennessee will be pulling in the top classes this year and next.

Considering the amount of bodies the Huskies will have I don't know if they can take more than one player in '18. And speaking of 2018, Charli Collier scored 41 points today for Barber Hill but lost to Alexis Morris who put up 56.

UConn may have to wait for 2019 to strike gold again. I'm cautiously optimistic about Sam Brunelle who seemed awfully excited about Megan Walker's decision.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Considering the amount of bodies the Huskies will have I don't know if they can take more than one player in '18. And speaking of 2018, Charli Collier scored 41 points today for Barber Hill but lost to Alexis Morris who put up 56.

UConn may have to wait for 2019 to strike gold again. I'm cautiously optimistic about Sam Brunelle who seemed awfully excited about Megan Walker's decision.
I suspect Uconn will be looking for two players out of 2018 with a big a high priority - Geno and co don't like single player classes and a sequence of 4*, 4, 2 for three classes would be about right - with transfers on the roster for the next three (including this year) junior classes you never know if a player will stay for the fifth year (Butler, Stevens, and Camara.) On top of that, recent history suggests the possibility of either a transfer or a medical redshirt in the next couple of years is not unlikely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suspect Uconn will be looking for two players out of 2018 with a big a high priority - Geno and co don't like single player classes and a sequence of 4*, 4, 2 for three classes would be about right - with transfers on the roster for the next three (including this year) junior classes you never know if a player will stay for the fifth year (Butler, Stevens, and Camara.) On top of that, recent history suggests the possibility of either a transfer or a medical redshirt in the next couple of years is not unlikely.
There are a couple of other reason I also don't see a 1 person class for UCONN in 2018. The quality of the post players that UCONN is already engaged with 6 (Nelson- Ododa, Smith, Austin, Owens, Cosgrove, & Collier). 2018 class is the last opportunity to overlap with N. Collier, KLS & Azura'. One year later and there is no overlap and you are suddenly relying on Freshmen to help fill that huge void vs. Sophomores.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Going to have 11 players before adding in any freshmen in '18 and six of those players are potential AA candidates. I don't see more than one being a good idea.

I'd suggest the reason for so many transfers in recent years is too many talented players and not enough minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Going to have 11 players before adding in any freshmen in '18 and six of those players are potential AA candidates. I don't see more than one being a good idea.
I'd suggest the reason for so many transfers in recent years is too many talented players and not enough minutes.
I agree that is the main reason for transfers. If they are going to have transfers it will happen between now and 2018 so no guarantee we get to 2018 with 11. I only see 4 AA candidates (KLS, Walker, Dangerfield, & Stevens). Who else, Collier?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree that is the main reason for transfers. If they are going to have transfers it will happen between now and 2018 so no guarantee we get to 2018 with 11. I only see 4 AA candidates (KLS, Walker, Dangerfield, & Stevens). Who else, Collier?

I was confusing '17 with '18. I'd include Collier at the moment so perhaps five candidates. Either way, it is going to be overly crowded next year and still so the next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't really think that is a valid generalization:
Boykin - left for personal reasons after starting her freshman year injured
Ekmark - left for playing time after not playing well enough in the system to get meaningful minutes
Edwards - left for personal reasons in her freshman year (two months into a season is not about minutes.)
Banks - left for personal reasons after an injury plagued career.
Engeln - Left for playing time after not playing well enough to get meaningful minutes
Johnson - Left for a variety of reasons including playing with her sister after struggling with injuries
Walker - Left for personal reasons

So of the last 7 transfers out four left for personal reasons, while the other three may well have left primarily because of playing time, but the playing time was tied into their ability to perform at the level of their surrounding teammates - in each case there were minutes available on the team the years they left if they had the ability to earn it.
On the current team, we have no idea about our three freshman in terms of their ability nor are we really sure about Butler and I suppose we could say there are questions about our two transfers in, though the general assumption is they have a lot of talent and will thrive. And we of course don't now how the adjustment to Uconn and college will go for our four signees.

On the other side of the 'playing time' issue is a pretty long list of players who have stayed while never cracking the significant playing time equation or not cracking it in their first few years. of the recruited players in the recent past - Chong and Kiah stand out, but Gabby also struggled as a freshman to see meaningful minutes and the jury is out on Butler after an injury plagued first year.

Reaction Score
If we have enough for 3 then Go after three elite stars in the 2018 class - two bigs and a guard. We have enough for 3, right?

On our roster will be: (1) Azura, (2) Katie, (3) Napheesa, (4) Molly, (5) Crystal, (6) Kyla, (7) Batouly, (8) Andra, (9) Lexi, (10) Mikalya, and (11) Megan.
That leaves three, right?

As others say there will probably be transfers or injury issues. But more importantly once Stevens, KLS and NC go we'll lose size and lose a certain physicality along with a ton of supreme talent. Potentially three all-americans - and could be 1st team a/a's to boot. As mentioned by coco you don't want to rely on frosh-- though we certainly can and have in the past. With that said, so what if players transfer, what's the big deal? They don't have to transfer but if they choose to, its not a big deal. When we get in conference play and frankly next year and year after if we're healthy- even vs tough teams we'll give young players opportunities. Geno isn't going to play his starters 35 minutes. No more than 30 and even less than that for some. Some players get into the doghouse for a few games then play plenty of minutes in others.

Plus -- can Butler, Stevens, Nurse and Camara all leave one year early? Thus there is some risk. Go after 3.

Is UCONN also going after Nicoletti?
And did I read on this site somewhere that NayLyssa Smith got hurt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom