Typical Hurley smh | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Typical Hurley smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No pal you’re always saying “not a bad loss” lol. Glad you’re happy watching the same ol mediocrity just don’t acknowledge that I’m not. This is UConn, not acceptable. But by all means blow smoke up their butts when the bubble makes its way in the conversation.

10-7 in games that mean anything tell me that’s ok?
There seems to be fans that have been fans through the Calhoun golden years and those that came in during the Ollie era causing different expectations. Cause yeah, I'm not sure how this is okay unless you're comparing it to the dark part of Ollie's era.

Reaction Score
There seems to be fans that have been fans through the Calhoun golden years and those that came in during the Ollie era causing different expectations. Cause yeah, I'm not sure how this is okay unless you're comparing it to the dark part of Ollie's era.
Completely agree. We’re the definition of mediocrity right now. We came to expect greatness. I’m not settling for mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the ending, to be in that game to the end without having Cole for a long portion of the game should be a positive everyone can take from this. Gaffney finally showed some confidence in a backup role. I live in Cincy, Xavier is a great atmosphere, not an easy road game. We didn't get blown out and made it competitive against a ranked team, on the road, without our PG. Chill.

Oh wow forgot about that my bad. We didn’t get blown out if only I had looked at last nights game in that manner I would’ve slept better stupid me.

Wow have we sunk in expectations. 10-7 in games versus equal opponents is fine what was I thinking?

Reaction Score
This was always going to be a tough game. Friday night road game against a team that’s much better than their record indicates. Also, Freemantle and Nunge were beasts tonight.

But Hurley probably should have been ejected. There was a point where he got into a ref’s face and was screaming profanities at him, legit 6 inches from his face. I’m all for intensity on the sidelines but that was beyond disrespectful.

I think the problem is, Hurley is a goshdarn maniac and he’s really starting to feel the pressure to win. I have a feeling we’re going to start seeing more breakdowns if he can’t consistently win at UConn over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Do you not remember Calhoun purposely getting T’s to fire up his team? Your coach having your back like that goes a lot further than giving up those two points.

It’s like people forget what they complain about is what they used to love…
That’s Calhoun though and his guys responded. No doubt Hurley is a fighter but Calhoun did it as an art form with total control, Hurley has none like all the time.

Reaction Score
That’s Calhoun though and his guys responded. No doubt Hurley is a fighter but Calhoun did it as an art form with total control, Hurley has none like all the time.
Let’s face it - Calhoun was a nut but he was a winning nut. You hang banners in the rafters and you can act like a loon. Danny has the crazy part down but he doesn’t have the success yet to be getting that crazy. He had the right idea but twenty minutes too late last night. Rookie mistake

Reaction Score
Precisely. Calhoun was (mostly) calculated in his interactions with the refs, working them from the beginning of the game. If he went off, it was after a gradual build-up throughout the game (so he had latitude) and if he got T-ed up, it was either because the team was catatonic and needed a jolt or the game was out of reach and he wanted his money’s worth.

Down the stretch of these games, Hurley should be focused on putting his team in position to win but instead he always seems preoccupied with picking a fight with the refs (or the fans- hopefully only after the buzzer on the latter). Frankly, he comes across as a dumb, hothead former jock. Oh wait…

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

This is a horrendous interview…

Reaction Score
JC had a habit of knowing 2 things early on. His team wasn’t playing well and the calls were going the wrong way too often. For him the perfect storm, time to let everyone know he’s not in a good mood and isn’t going to take this crap. T time was premeditated with Jim quite often.

Reaction Score

This is a horrendous interview…

Way too fixated on the refs- I’d love to have an audio feed of what he said prior to the tech but I’m sure he wasn’t complimenting the official on his haircut. Either way, he needs to focus on a must-win on Sunday to ensure they stay in position for #5 or better for the BE tourney. Also, right or wrong, his pattern of answering questions with “I don’t know what we were doing with x…” (in this case offensive transition) contributes to this narrative that he doesn’t know how to make adjustments.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I missed the game live last night due to my kid’s hockey game and watched most of it this morning on replay. I don’t feel as though we’re improving as the season goes on which is a concern. Also, my takeaway for the entire season has been that there are far, far too many bonehead plays/turnovers/fouls. The freshmen and to a degree the sophomores I’ll give a pass to but the upperclassmen have no excuse. If the team plays smarter, they probably win most games by double digits. It’s frustrating to watch but I’m not throwing in the towel yet like some newer, or at least newer to BY “fans” seem to be.

Reaction Score
We had multiple opportunities on 2 on 1s/3 on 1s--that went unconverted.. Didn't have an answer for Scruggs in second half (scouting report?) which he's done repeatedly in his career. Hard to imagine it's hard not to find Nunge on the floor but there were times Cole was defending him on rotations. Polley/Hawk non-factors.. Adama catching the action from the bench in first half lately-- Hope he's figuring that out sooner rather than later.

Beating a dead horse but you can't take a T at that time of a close game on the road. Ref is always going to be influenced by their coach/crowd. AD Dave sitting behind bench-Curious what he was thinking. Refs talk among themselves --Not sure DH is helping the team(for future BE games) by venting in pressers about refs. Even if its true.

Despite the self-induced/unforced errors.. It was still a winnable game .

Hope these guys show up on Sunday under the bright lights .No excuses now. Survive and advance.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. Blaming Hurley makes very little logical sense:
1) if you think our players are sub-par players and subpar athletes, then Hurley is doing a coach - of - the -year type performance, keeping them ranked for a good part of the year.
2) if you think the players are top notch, elite level players, then it would be Hurleys fault. But did you really see elite level talent tonight? Did you really?
This is college basketball. How long does it take to get an ” elite level” player? Especially if your coach is a “great recruiter?” Who assembled this team? And who didn’t think he needed to upgrade through the portal?

The technical was just an incredibly dumb move. You cannot get Teed up there. As it happened, it didn’t really hurt us as badly as it could have, since Xavier only got the 2. Missed the front end of the 1-1. Had we rebounded, we’d have gotten a huge break.

Reaction Score
I avoided this place last night after the game. I should have continued to avoid it this morning...
Do you care more about what’s on the board or about how UConn played? I think most of the takes here are logical of course you will get over reactive takes after a loss that’s every board.

Reaction Score
If Jackson doesn’t have a clear path for a dunk he can’t finish anywhere in the paint, he is an abysmal scorer. He’s great at defensive rebounding and pushing the ball up the court but then disappears on offense.
And his defense is just not that good. Scruggs abused him last night. Gillespie abused him last week. The guy from Creighton abused him. I’ve said since October our backcourt just isn’t elite. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I think the lack of second ball handler made this happen. Also gives more skill set for next year.
Yes, a big hole in the line-up when Cole is out. We also play too many minutes with only two or three scores on the court. Our big thing seems to be the defensive posture, that might keep you in the game as this team often is able to do but offensive wins, you have to score especially when you down a few points. Where are the answers???

Reaction Score
JC had a habit of knowing 2 things early on. His team wasn’t playing well and the calls were going the wrong way too often. For him the perfect storm, time to let everyone know he’s not in a good mood and isn’t going to take this crap. T time was premeditated with Jim quite often.
Early on in Calhoon's recent tenure at Saint Joesphs, the team was struggling. This was the first half. JC picked up a folding chair, slam it down so hard it would fold no more. The fans were silent, then broke into a loud scream. The team responded with a quick run and win. He had everybody's attention. That team is now 19 - 0 and top 6 in division 3. Control and timing can be everything, look stage left!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Can you prove this? Or are you just talking out of you arse. I called Creighton and Nova bad losses. You’re not happy because you have prime UConn expectations. That’s my point. This isn’t a prime UConn team. I can be satisfied with this teams effort, while obviously wanting to keep building on it in future years. No ones content with this being the apex.
Is it too hard at this point of their D 1 lives to expect them to make reasonably good decisions on the floor? Constant bad decisions across the board means that their minds are not stable in the game. They can't all lack basic fundamental knowledge of what to do. I think it has to do with all of the DH amping it up emotionally on the sidelines. He looks more like a third string bench warmer (with all due respect to them) who is contributing by jumping up and down and yelling than a coach. Emotion is fine when it is used to make a point. It reminds me of Brimah who was amped out of his mind but often couldn't make the right on court decisions because he was too emotionally charged. Ray Allen axiom: Play hard but stay calm. You can't think when your mind is racing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why shouldn’t it have been close? This is the problem. You all think we’re better than we are.
Lol aren’t you the one who said we’d go 3 wins and one loss in the last 4 games? Creighton through Xavier? But now the rest of board are the ones thinking we are better than we are?

Reaction Score
Why shouldn’t it have been close? This is the problem. You all think we’re better than we are. We shouldn’t be blowing Marquette or Xavier(on the road) out this year. We were in position to win on the road against a top 25 team with a true home court advantage. We lost. We all know at this point we aren’t a top 10 team and a final 4 lock. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves after every loss. It’s miserable. Enjoy the climb. We could be GTown, Cuse, or seton hall. Instead we’re an inconsistent team who is good way more often then they are not. We wanted to be in a top conference. We’ll this is life in a top conference. Win your home games and compete on the road. That’s where we are this year. If you would just adjust your expectations, and stop expecting us to come out and man handle top 25 teams on the road, you’d enjoy yourself more.
LOL, if there was a “Think we’re better than we are” club you’d be the president.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom