Typical Hurley smh | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Typical Hurley smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Lol aren’t you the one who said we’d go 3 wins and one loss in the last 4 games? Creighton through Xavier? But now the rest of board are the ones thinking we are better than we are?
Don't forget a top 10 team, could hang with baylor, duke, and ucla's of the world and we would get blown out by no one.

Reaction Score
No, I’m not. That was after the Marquette win where he, in jest, decided to continue his antics and ask “where are they?”

I’m referring to the Creighton loss, where he was outcoached and outclassed so badly that he decided to take it out on fans.

Guy needs a therapist and some weed.
I find the antics after the Marquette win to be an even worse look. He never should've yelled back at the fans going after him after the Creighton game but to be puffing his chest and yelling into the crowd to find them after a home win against Marquette is kind of pathetic. Let it go and focus on your team coach.

Reaction Score
Do you care more about what’s on the board or about how UConn played? I think most of the takes here are logical of course you will get over reactive takes after a loss that’s every board.
I don't think most of the takes here are logical, in fact I think the direct opposite.

Some very very knowledgeable people here, and some flat out terrible fans.

Reaction Score
Don't forget a top 10 team, could hang with baylor, duke, and ucla's of the world and we would get blown out by no one.
We still haven’t. On a good day we still would. And I’ve literally never said we were a top 10 team. NEVER.

Reaction Score
Lol aren’t you the one who said we’d go 3 wins and one loss in the last 4 games? Creighton through Xavier? But now the rest of board are the ones thinking we are better than we are?
My prediction was wrong. Next?

Reaction Score
LOL, if there was a “Think we’re better than we are” club you’d be the president.
Prove it. I’ve been saying we’re good not great all season. I’ve always argued with the we suck crowd. Some of you struggle to understand nuance. It’s like you find it hard to believe someone can stand in the middle of 2 extremes. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. And that’s we’re my opinion on this team is and has always been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You could make the argument that Jackson doesn't end up with a technical if Hurley doesn't get one first. Players will model their coaches. Hurley set the stage for aggravation and Jackson followed suit. As a coach, you've got to be more mature than your players and show them how to respond to adversity.
I hear what you're saying but technicals can also pump up the team. Jim Calhoun did that often, especially when he was young like Hurley is.

Reaction Score
Calhoun always conveyed control. If he got a T it was in control. His anger was in control. He was emotional but understood the moment.

Nothing about DHs antics suggest he is in control. It does not motivate or calm in tight situations. This league is hard every game. If he is going to be an emotional mess at every game his players will fray down the stretch.
There’s an analogy that compares a searing-hot coal to a out-of-control wildfire. I can think of no more apt comparison here

Reaction Score
I do not remember JC getting a T at that point in a game. Refresh my memory.
I do Remember the change of team attitude after he would get them. It was as if "you got our back, thus we've got yours coach"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Prove it.

Didn't you start a thread saying our ceiling is the Final Four? This isn't a good look, you're clearly one of the most optimistic posters here. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a bad look to argue it so strongly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There’s an analogy that compares a searing-hot coal to a out-of-control wildfire. I can think of no more apt comparison here

Calhoun would start working officials from the very beginning if we weren't getting calls, and if it continued for more than a few possessions he would get a tech to get his point across to the refs. He would never wait until the last 5 minutes of the game to do it. I thought Hurley was right for getting a tech, because he had to get his point across to the refs that they were calling things inconsistently, but he should've done it sooner. Also, he clearly needs to do a better job working the refs in general, because after he gets a tech the dynamic of calls does not shift at all. It's like the ref is thinking " you, here's a tech and I'm gonna keep calling this ticky-tack stuff against your guys because you piss me off." Calhoun's techs almost always got us the benefit of the whistle after, or at least evened things out.

Reaction Score
Didn't you start a thread saying our ceiling is the Final Four? This isn't a good look, you're clearly one of the most optimistic posters here. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a bad look to argue it so strongly.
I started a thread asking the question. We Andre Jackson’s ceiling is an NBA all star. Jalen Gaffneys ceiling is an all conference player. Identifying a ceiling(the best possible outcome) is not giving a prediction on what you actually think will happen. I could give a damn about a look

Reaction Score
Calhoun would start working officials from the very beginning if we weren't getting calls, and if it continued for more than a few possessions he would get a tech to get his point across to the refs. He would never wait until the last 5 minutes of the game to do it. I thought Hurley was right for getting a tech, because he had to get his point across to the refs that they were calling things inconsistently, but he should've done it sooner. Also, he clearly needs to do a better job working the refs in general, because after he gets a tech the dynamic of calls does not shift at all. It's like the ref is thinking " you, here's a tech and I'm gonna keep calling this ticky-tack stuff against your guys because you piss me off." Calhoun's techs almost always got us the benefit of the whistle after, or at least evened things out.
Totally agree on the game situation. JC would never have lost it in that situation

Reaction Score
Today’s performance from a couple of guys got me thinking. If everything falls into place(which is rare), what is this teams ceiling. I mean if Polley returns to Junior year Polley and is an automatic bucket when open, if Hawkins becomes a legit 15 ppg threat every night, if Cole continues on his trajectory, Adama continues to be an all big East big, Tyrese continues to be a bully and a dog, Akok returns to Indiana MSG Akok, Gaffney plays to his potential, Whaley does dpoy Whaley things, and AJax channels his inner Draymond Green. My lord. I’ll preface this by saying, all of this coming to fruition is slim to none. But what if just most of it does. Where can we go?
@Rico444 where did I predict final 4. It was actually guys like @superjohn predicting we’d “cut down the nets” in my perfect scenario. I never even mentioned final 4. And @JMick saying we have “final 4 talent”. Yet I get the flack for things I never said. It’s an untrue narrative that’s getting annoying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
everyone made great points, we now move forward, lets rally around this team and push them to win it all, if not we debate again lol

Reaction Score
I find the antics after the Marquette win to be an even worse look. He never should've yelled back at the fans going after him after the Creighton game but to be puffing his chest and yelling into the crowd to find them after a home win against Marquette is kind of pathetic. Let it go and focus on your team coach.
Exactly this. he thinks the hothead spaz thing inspires his guys to be tough I guess. The example they really need right now is composure under pressure- otherwise it’s discombobulated offense on final plays, Martin screaming at refs after bad calls, and AJ bouncing balls into the stands. Unfortunately, I can’t imagine a worse role model then the guy who is more worried about making intimidating faces / hunting for referee scalp in tight games than making strategic adjustments to help his team win.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
@Rico444 where did I predict final 4. It was actually guys like @superjohn predicting we’d “cut down the nets” in my perfect scenario. I never even mentioned final 4. And @JMick saying we have “final 4 talent”. Yet I get the flack for things I never said. It’s an untrue narrative that’s getting annoying.

You agreed with JMick saying we have Final Four talent, though, and you said if Cole, Martin, and Sanogo come back next year anything short of a title would be disappointing. I think we were all a little excited to start the year, but to scold other people for having expectations too high after posting that...

Reaction Score
You agreed with JMick saying we have Final Four talent, though, and you said if Cole, Martin, and Sanogo come back next year anything short of a title would be disappointing. I think we were all a little excited to start the year, but to scold other people for having expectations too high after posting that...
I’d still say the same thing about Cole Martin and Sanogo coming back next season. Final 4 would be the expected result. That’s 3 all big East players. I said I “might” agree. You’re moving the goal post. I never said what people keep saying I said is the point.

I didn’t scold anybody for having high expectations to start the season. I said ADJUST YOUR EXPECTATIONS AFTER THE TEAM HAS CLEARLY SHOWN YOU WHO THEY ARE. I know I’m the easy target for the “positivity” police. But it’s corny at this point.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict was sitting directly behind the bench and Hurley would actually speak with him during the game. I didn't know if this was typical of the AD-Coach relationship. I wonder what AD DB was thinking when Hurley got T'd up.

Reaction Score
????????????
We’re talking ceilings. The ceiling of something’s is the greatest possible outcome if everything goes right. It’s obviously not likely.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I’d still say the same thing about Cole Martin and Sanogo coming back next season. Final 4 would be the expected result. That’s 3 all big East players. I said I “might” agree. You’re moving the goal post. I never said what people keep saying I said is the point.

I didn’t scold anybody for having high expectations to start the season. I said ADJUST YOUR EXPECTATIONS AFTER THE TEAM HAS CLEARLY SHOWN YOU WHO THEY ARE. I know I’m the easy target for the “positivity” police. But it’s corny at this point.

How am I moving the goal post? I'm arguing the post that said you'd be the president of the "Think we're better than we are" fan club. There's a reason people think that.

I'm not sure how you can reconcile those two paragrpahs you just wrote. Either we're not as good as we all thought, and we should adjust expectations, or we have the talent to go all the way. If this group should be expected to make a Final Four next year, then how can you say expectations are too high for this year? We would have the exact same core next year except swapping in Clingan for Whaley, and we're already an old team so I wouldn't expect too many players on this team to make a huge leap next season.

Reaction Score
We’re talking ceilings. The ceiling of something’s is the greatest possible outcome if everything goes right. It’s obviously not likely.
Sorry, I just don’t see how you look at those 2 players and where they are now and trajectory and say that is their ceiling.

The stretch is just beyond measurement.

We’d be lucky if Gaffney averages 10 minutes a game his senior year.

Reaction Score
How am I moving the goal post? I'm arguing the post that said you'd be the president of the "Think we're better than we are" fan club. There's a reason people think that.

I'm not sure how you can reconcile those two paragrpahs you just wrote. Either we're not as good as we all thought, and we should adjust expectations, or we have the talent to go all the way. If this group should be expected to make a Final Four next year, then how can you say expectations are too high for this year? We would have the exact same core next year except swapping in Clingan for Whaley, and we're already an old team so I wouldn't expect too many players on this team to make a huge leap next season.
No. Next year you’d assume Hawkins is a legitimate go to guy, and we’d bring in an impact transfer. We don’t have the talent to go all the way this season because we don’t have that Hawkins and impact guard yet. Martin, Cole, and Sanogo may be 1st team all big East next season. They all won’t be this season. Next season the roster make up and construction will be completely different.

Also I’m the president yet I haven’t been the one with the most outrageous takes. People think that because they’re remembering incorrectly. Why does no one think that about super John or jmick? Because it’s not the narrative.

And here lies the annoyance. Instead of saying, “yea ant never actually said that” or “ant never made a thread saying we were final 4 bound” you move the goal post to something else. You’re talking about talent. I’m not down on this teams talent. It’s the production and consistency that is this teams undoing. I challenge anyone to again find where I’ve ever said this team was “top 10” or “final 4 bound”. I’ll wait and you won’t find it.

Stop being a follower and saying “there’s a reason” and show me the reason

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't try and drag me down with you, you're on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom