Typical Hurley smh | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Typical Hurley smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn concurs

UConn released a statement agreeing with the Big East’s statement:

“UConn athletics values the practice of good sportsmanship during competition, and expects our student-athletes, coaches, and staff to adhere to that principle at all times. Public criticism of officials does not align with those standards. We are in full support of the protocols provided by the Big East to address any concerns with officiating.”

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We still haven’t. On a good day we still would. And I’ve literally never said we were a top 10 team. NEVER.
I really don't know, but you say many things that jump out ahead of the pack, as though they may some day be pointed to as having been said first by you. And some of those have pushed passions from a new direction with equal passion or even contradictory direction.

With so many takes, you're bound to be right sometimes. But, also with so many, you're going to be wrong sometimes. And, you have to expect that when something feels 'funny,' people are going to sense, remember, and sometimes even locate the contradictions, and then point them out. Sometimes they'll be right, and sometimes not so right.

There's a whole other thread going on with lots of discussion about emotional maturity. This is your 7th season here. We've all got growing up to do.
Calhoun, as you said, had a purpose and was opportunist but he was never as immature as Hurley. Comparing Hurley to Calhoun is like comparing a liitlke league home run hitter to Micky Mantle. NOT IN THE SAME BALL PARK. The team as a whole is very poor in fundamentals.
This is parody, right?

"Liitkle league" is played on another, far more advanced planet. Of course their home run hitter is going to be better than #7. Not even the knees of the almighty could close such a gap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danny is getting smoked out there by the other coaches. He is learning how to be a coach in the BE and right now its NOT WORKING. Arguing with fans...ref crap in the tunnel.....coach Whaley to have a 2ft rule where he cant shoot or pass if its outside of 2ft.....teach Martin to not do stupid drives that are well.....STUPID, teach Gaffney to not get real or get out, play Diggins and Johnson, sit Jackson EVERYIME HE DOES SOMETHING STUPID LIKE A FT LINE FLOATER WHILE FLOATING TO THE SIDELINE......you know....COACH.

Reaction Score
I don't understand when Dan Hurley became such a jerk? He wasn't like this in Rhode Island. I loved his teams and were easy to root for, their offense was also flowing. Is this just ego?

Reaction Score
I don't understand when Dan Hurley became such a jerk? He wasn't like this in Rhode Island. I loved his teams and were easy to root for, their offense was also flowing. Is this just ego?

You just weren't watching. He was exactly like this at Wagner. He spent more time jawing with the refs than he did coaching. His sideline antics were unlike anything anyone else was doing. Yelling and screaming at anything and everything. It was child-like even at the low major level.

In 2 years on Staten Island he had one winning season (one very good regular season). He brought in a very nice recruits at this level, including Latif Rivers from NJ, that carried the team with their talent.

His brother was his assistant coach at the time and is probably the better coach.

Both years his team was knocked out of the conference tournament and he was simply out coached by RMU's very young Andrew Toole. And RMU didn't even win the NEC those years, LIU did.

He certainly improved Wagner's exposure while he was there, but he was hired at URI based on his name recognition, not because of anything he was doing coaching on the sidelines at the NEC level.

Reaction Score
You just weren't watching. He was exactly like this at Wagner. He spent more time jawing with the refs than he did coaching. His sideline antics were unlike anything anyone else was doing. Yelling and screaming at anything and everything. It was child-like even at the low major level.

In 2 years on Staten Island he had one winning season (one very good regular season). He brought in a very nice recruits at this level, including Latif Rivers from NJ, that carried the team with their talent.

His brother was his assistant coach at the time and is probably the better coach.

Both years his team was knocked out of the conference tournament and he was simply out coached by RMU's very young Andrew Toole. And RMU didn't even win the NEC those years, LIU did.

He certainly improved Wagner's exposure while he was there, but he was hired at URI based on his name recognition, not because of anything he was doing coaching on the sidelines at the NEC level.
I mean I definitely think he did a good job at Rhode Island. I don't recall if those players were his, but I know they beat Trae Young in OT which was impressive. upset Creighton as an 11. EC Matthews and Fatts Russell were ballers.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What’s funny to me about Hurley is that he goes on a Barstool podcast and says “I don’t give a shot what anybody thinks of me.”

Proceeds to get 2 techs in the last 2 games, tries to fight a UConn fan, kind of gets into it with Shaka last game.

The guy is all talk.
Plus those angry pouting facial expressions. Does wonders.

Reaction Score
Except for his last season, he was exactly like this in Rhode Island.

Reaction Score

Interesting reply you seem to have some more insight on his career than many of us. The thing is I’m not sure Bobby is the better one he’s had some tremendous talent at ASU over the years and really achieved very little considering.

Reaction Score
He hurts this basketball team in ways that are just frustrating with his antics
He criticized the refs after the game yesterday, and he’s taking a lot of heat for it. I hope Dave has his back as the refs yesterday were very one sided, horrendous play calling. Hurley is taking a lot of heat this morning in the press, admonishment by the Big East for his comments about the refs after the game Friday. Two phantom fouls on Sanogo to start the game, the T on Hurley at a very opportunistic time if you’re a Xavier fan. I don’t blame Hurley one bit for calling out the refs in this game.

Reaction Score
No doubt Hurley needs to have more control, he could actually use a sports psychologist, but an absolutely spineless response by UConn. Officials need to be held accountable.

Reaction Score
Soft and weak response from UConn. They should have doubled down and had Hurley's back. Refs need to be held accountable for making bad, game changing calls. The fact that you cannot criticize them is preposterous. They are grown adults, if they cannot handle criticism, they do not deserve the job.
This is a fundamental rule in almost every sport. You don’t publicly criticize officials. Both the NFL and the NBA would fine a coach who did what Hurley did. He is a big boy. Act like one. If he thinks these continued antics are helping his team, he really needs to get a grip.

Reaction Score
Interesting reply you seem to have some more insight on his career than many of us. The thing is I’m not sure Bobby is the better one he’s had some tremendous talent at ASU over the years and really achieved very little considering.

No, not more insight, but CCSU fans did see him at Central twice and in other NEC games. He was only at Wagner for 2 seasons and so he made just 2 trips to Detrick Gym to play Central, but at this level you see things up close. Was never impressed by his teams, because he seemed to be making a scene on the bench.

As an opponent, he was just very easy to dislike. He was just 2-2 vs. Howie and lost both games played in New Britain. He did beat us as the #2 seed in NEC Tourney QF in 2012 on Staten Island (Central was a #7 seed), but then lost in the semis to RMU.

I'm don't know much about Bobby, but he won 2 MAC championships in his first 2 seasons as a head coach at Buffalo (1 NCAA) and has since had ASU ranked in the the NCAAs twice. At least as Danny's assistant he was more calm and subdued, but was said to be a huge influence in practices.

I guess you have to ask URI fans what they really think of him, but his first 2 years at Wagner weren't impressive. This is a guy who got his first job as a D-I head coach without being an assistant at this level. He has no mentors or any models to follow.

Now compare that with a guy like Pat Sellers who has worked for numerous head coaches and has built his own style based on things he's learned and seen for decades as an assistant to some great coaches (Howie, Calhoun, McDermott, Pikiell, Hernenda, etc)

Reaction Score
No doubt Hurley needs to have more control, he could actually use a sports psychologist, but an absolutely spineless response by UConn. Officials need to be held accountable.

Yeah but Danny’s not making any friends in stripes and that’s not good. UConn officials taking the high road as they should. They didn’t lose because of the refs unless you want blame him for getting a T at a bad time. Move on, coach your team and don’t throw the stripes under the bus in the open. Hope we play well today may not get many calls!

Reaction Score
Except for his last season, he was exactly like this in Rhode Island.
Yep, saw every game he coached there. He was totally exactly like this. Except, as you mention in his character rehab year, y'know, the one that got him hired here.

We'd still take him back at Rhody in a heartbeat, but this is who he is. Constantly on the floor, pouting, screaming and stamping his feet. All part of the deal....

Reaction Score
On the T, the UConn Blog says he had been warned a few minutes earlier, which I didn’t see reported. If so, it makes his action even more egregious. Suggests that his actions were already ticking off the refs. But he couldn’t stay in control in a crucial spot.

Reaction Score
On the T, the UConn Blog says he had been warned a few minutes earlier, which I didn’t see reported. If so, it makes his action even more egregious. Suggests that his actions were already ticking off the refs. But he couldn’t stay in control in a crucial spot.
If he had been warned a few minutes earlier before the T, do you really think he would have called out the refs post game? From what I heard, and read, Hurley was totally surprised by the T on him. Could the home crowd have influenced the refs? Maybe so.

Reaction Score
I tried to find it, but couldn't. His antics in the 2015 NIT vs Stanford...all time nutty.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What makes me so mad is we lost to a mediocre team at best. This and the Creighton loss should never have happened. Some of the other ones also, but we definitely should not have loss to those two teams. AJ needs to concentrate on being sound and not f-up the basics. Him and Gaffney have butter fingers. Like I said best possible outcome sweet 16 and that’s me reaching.
X is a mediocre team now

I just can't

Reaction Score
If he had been warned a few minutes earlier before the T, do you really think he would have called out the refs post game? From what I heard, and read, Hurley was totally surprised by the T on him. Could the home crowd have influenced the refs? Maybe so.
I’m not certain but the UConn blog reported it. Funny I rarely read it except for hockey updates ( Great win last night BTW) but that was what they reported. I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Which is why I said “If so”. It wasn’t reported elsewhere that I saw anyway. In a sense it doesn’t matter, though. You need to understand the situation and A. Not get a tech there; B. Not bad mouth the refs in your press conference; and C. Quit picking fights with everyone from fans to refs to other coaches. Maybe Bob Knight could do that, but Dan Hurley doesn’t have the resume to get away with that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom