Tyler Dorsey | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tyler Dorsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're lost, you know nothing about basketball apparently.

Facey is a garbage player, he hustles and gets loose balls and put backs on the weak side.

Daniels, Giffey and even Denham were at lease stretch 4s in the college game. Facey can't play facing or with back to basket.

If we get Stone this is a mute conversation, Facey will be nowhere near the floor.

There is no rule that says every UConn player is either MJ, LeBron, Tim Duncan or Shaq.

Christ, did Facey insult your mother or something? Trying to find out where this is coming from.

Reaction Score
It is a recruiting thread, if Dorsey comes Purvis and others will sit, and if Stone comes Facey will sit. Or do you think Facey should play over Stone? I'm sure you do and think AJ Price should play over Kyrie and J Lamb is better than Harden.

Here we go again. Me clicking on a recruiting post like a Pavlov's dog expecting some valuable information only to be disappointed again and again. I'm fully aware of the irony of me creating this post, contributing to what I'm b itching about.

Reaction Score
Good point, can't reason on this board. People here think T Sam is a good player, that's the level of objectiveness you're dealing with.

A type of conversation you might want to learn. :rolleyes:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you think this board is only for fawning over players, please find the various threads about Nolan, Cassell Jr., Omar, and Samuel from the past 12 months.

Reaction Score
Someone else called him this, it's fitting in a sense, not an insult.

Go look at the shot chart against Puke and show me where Facey made a shot outside of 4 feet.
So this is predicated upon ability to hit a shot outside 4 feet?

I guess Andre Drummond is garbage too then

Reaction Score
?? He's a garbage player like someone posted. He has zero range outside of 4 feet, he cleans up loose balls and is opportunistic. He's not a legit 4, but he has no skills to play the 3. I like his hustle, but he needs 30+ lbs to play the 4 and develop a post game and range out to 10-12 feet.

This board is so bias, I bet there's people here who still think Thabeet wasn't a bust and that 'Meka should have been taken over D12.

Wow 14 and 9 and he's garbage. You have no clue. He will only be better next year. By the way he is our best rebounder. And Rak has no I mean no offensive game. But 91 keep on watching YouTube videos on recruits and continue to think they translate to real college ball.

Reaction Score
This is hilarious. Facey is a skilled rebounder and finisher. Yes, those are skills. He is also athletic as hell. And also has a nice FT stroke, which I think will translate to a solid mid-range game over time.

I have been disappointed with how the season has begun and Facey has been one of the few bright spots.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You've been sucked in by the troll (husky91). He knows exactly what he's doing and just wants attention. Sadly, he can't do intelligently and apparently is not familiar with the difference between mute and moot. Dang, I guess I was sucked in by the troll as well.

Reaction Score
You're lost, you know nothing about basketball apparently.

Facey is a garbage player, he hustles and gets loose balls and put backs on the weak side.

Daniels, Giffey and even Denham were at lease stretch 4s in the college game. Facey can't play facing or with back to basket.

If we get Stone this is a mute conversation, Facey will be nowhere near the floor.

There is no rule that says every UConn player is either MJ, LeBron, Tim Duncan or Shaq.
Calling Denham and Niels stretch 4's says all we need to know about your knowledge of the college game. Which apparently is not much. Yet another ignore key to be activated.

Reaction Score
Long time reader, first time poster and I am really struggling to see how anyone who watched UConn's first 8 games would ever consider Lubin over Facey. Every UConn player has the talent to contribute this year, except Lubin. Facey, some might say, has been the biggest bright spot on the entire team. The one position we thought was up for grabs, where we were replacing a guy who dropped 20/10 in the FF and was a top 3 player on a title team, is now occupied by a guy going for 7-7 without having a single play run for him.

Facey is tall, is athletic, is a "double leaper" and has a nose for the basket. On most of his points, he is either in the air with the ball again before the defender has landed, or uses a quick move to seal his man and go back up. The kid apparently has a decent shooting stroke, on display last year in the USF blowout where he hit a few 12 foot zone busters and even knocked in 2 threes. He is adjusting to both the level of play and the amount of time he is seeing on the court. If all he does the rest of his career is improve his defense and can contribute 9/9 or 10/10 he is getting 20 min/game. If he gets to the point that Ollie allows him to shoot the ball or runs a play for him, good god. He is not one of our top 4 most talented players and will never be a conference player of the year, but my god in terms of development what more do you want?

Coming off three seasons of down recruiting due to violations/bans/coaches/conferences, finding Facey and Brimah and developing them are HUGE COUPS that keep the cupboard from going bare. Do you realize how many teams in America would love to have a 6'10" player with the potential of KF? The answer is a lot. You cant teach size and you cant teach athleticism-you also cant teach the "feel" that this kid has. As raw as he is and bad as he's looked on some plays, those put backs and rebounds take feel. You have to be able to just react in the moment and find a way to score. Of all the things to complain about, Kentan Facey is not one of them, ESPECIALLY if your trying to elevate the only player who clearly wont contribute this year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Calling Denham and Niels stretch 4's says all we need to know about your knowledge of the college game. Which apparently is not much. Yet another ignore key to be activated.

I would love for husky91 to have a mute conversation.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I came into this year most concerned about the 4 spot. Facey has been a great surprise.I think our biggest bright spot against expectations. As talented as DD is, half of the games he played in the regular season, we would have loved to have 14 and nine.
To date, both Sams and RP have been disappointing. Omar has been hurt, AB has improved even if we hoped for more, DHam has been all we hoped for and a more; and Boat has exceeded high expectations.
But Facey has come out of nowhere to be the fourth best player on the team and against Duke, the 2nd or third best player on the team.

caw

Reaction Score

Go look at the shot chart against Puke and show me where Facey made a shot outside of 4 feet.

I believe I called him a junk yard type player so far this year. Not sure if that's what you are referencing or not. That is not the same thing as garbage. Or at least it's how you use the terms in context. You basically called him a bad player.

Reaction Score
To date, both Sams and RP have been disappointing. Omar has been hurt

I think the problem is that Purvis really is just a better version of Samuel who isnt playing very well while Samuel is struggling with the increased expectations that come with more minutes and a bigger role. Yes, Purvis hit 38% from 3 freshman year, but both are big guards without a great handle whose best assets should be their D, transition speed and ability to get to the rim.
It was possible to hide Samuels deficient shooting with Bazz/Daniels/Giffey on the roster even when he was called upon for big minutes and with a super small lineup he excelled. That isnt the case this year. In the next two years, Samuel will obviously improve and settle into himself. He may never be more than a 3rd guard, but this year, bc his problems are similiar to those of purvis/cassell/calhoun things are exacerbated.

As for Purvis, he has played 8 games. 8. Before that he last played in march of 2013. Part of the problem is rust. Part of it is not knowing exactly where he fits with new teammates. Part of it is I don't think he has a ton of confidence and part is he's trying to do too much. Part of it is that I dont think Kevin Ollie is the type of coach to limited a kid with the potential of purvis in November. KO is going to give people a leash. He is going to see what they can do and how they respond to different situations. I believe that eventually KO will make Purvis the best Purvis he can be, for both himself and UConn. Maybe it will happen this March and we make a run, maybe not until next year. What does best purvis mean? I think it means a bulldog on D encouraged to push the ball every chance he gets and in the half court driving the basketball from the off-wing, shooting the 3 if he is wide open. It will mean he understands that the long-2 is not in his repertoire. I also think, that eventually, KO gets this team to make the extra pass.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Even allowing for your use of "garbage player" as a compliment (a la Bailey Howell), I think I've seen enough. Your inability or choice to post your avatar vertically was the tip off; it's on me that I stuck around this long.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have to be a special kind of stupid to see a kid shoot six for eight against the #2 team in the country and come away disappointed because those six shots were too close to the basket.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Sometimes it is better to move away from the keyboard. Facey has been leaps and bounds better than last year and if you don't see that then that is your problem. Right now he is the best rebounder on the team and can actually score some.

Reaction Score
Sometimes it is better to move away from the keyboard. Facey has been leaps and bounds better than last year and if you don't see that then that is your problem. Right now he is the best rebounder on the team and can actually score some.

What amazes me is people who think we are sunk without stone next year. Yes, he would be awesome to have and we should want to win every recruiting battle. But neither Facey or Brimah is going anywhere and they are only going to get better. Losing Boat is going to hurt tons and will be impossible to replace (like kemba and shabazz were), but even without Stone the frontcourt court be a net positive next year. I doubt Facey has maxed out and if he adds any sort of threat shooting, watch out. Then there's Brimah, who again, with 30+ more games and a full, healthy offseason, could be a beast. We are starting two sophomores at the 4/5, neither of which is leaving before the June '16 draft and are both raw, still improving players.

Reaction Score
Long time reader, first time poster and I am really struggling to see how anyone who watched UConn's first 8 games would ever consider Lubin over Facey. Every UConn player has the talent to contribute this year, except Lubin. Facey, some might say, has been the biggest bright spot on the entire team. The one position we thought was up for grabs, where we were replacing a guy who dropped 20/10 in the FF and was a top 3 player on a title team, is now occupied by a guy going for 7-7 without having a single play run for him.

Facey is tall, is athletic, is a "double leaper" and has a nose for the basket. On most of his points, he is either in the air with the ball again before the defender has landed, or uses a quick move to seal his man and go back up. The kid apparently has a decent shooting stroke, on display last year in the USF blowout where he hit a few 12 foot zone busters and even knocked in 2 threes. He is adjusting to both the level of play and the amount of time he is seeing on the court. If all he does the rest of his career is improve his defense and can contribute 9/9 or 10/10 he is getting 20 min/game. If he gets to the point that Ollie allows him to shoot the ball or runs a play for him, good god. He is not one of our top 4 most talented players and will never be a conference player of the year, but my god in terms of development what more do you want?

Coming off three seasons of down recruiting due to violations/bans/coaches/conferences, finding Facey and Brimah and developing them are HUGE COUPS that keep the cupboard from going bare. Do you realize how many teams in America would love to have a 6'10" player with the potential of KF? The answer is a lot. You cant teach size and you cant teach athleticism-you also cant teach the "feel" that this kid has. As raw as he is and bad as he's looked on some plays, those put backs and rebounds take feel. You have to be able to just react in the moment and find a way to score. Of all the things to complain about, Kentan Facey is not one of them, ESPECIALLY if your trying to elevate the only player who clearly wont contribute this year.
Great post, I hope you continue to post around here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the problem is that Purvis really is just a better version of Samuel who isnt playing very well while Samuel is struggling with the increased expectations that come with more minutes and a bigger role. Yes, Purvis hit 38% from 3 freshman year, but both are big guards without a great handle whose best assets should be their D, transition speed and ability to get to the rim.
It was possible to hide Samuels deficient shooting with Bazz/Daniels/Giffey on the roster even when he was called upon for big minutes and with a super small lineup he excelled. That isnt the case this year. In the next two years, Samuel will obviously improve and settle into himself. He may never be more than a 3rd guard, but this year, bc his problems are similiar to those of purvis/cassell/calhoun things are exacerbated.

As for Purvis, he has played 8 games. 8. Before that he last played in march of 2013. Part of the problem is rust. Part of it is not knowing exactly where he fits with new teammates. Part of it is I don't think he has a ton of confidence and part is he's trying to do too much. Part of it is that I dont think Kevin Ollie is the type of coach to limited a kid with the potential of purvis in November. KO

is going to give people a leash. He is going to see what they can do and how they respond to different situations. I believe that eventually KO will make Purvis the best Purvis he can be, for both himself and UConn. Maybe it will happen this March and we make a run, maybe not until next year. What does best purvis mean? I think it means a bulldog on D encouraged to push the ball every chance he gets and in the half court driving the basketball from the off-wing, shooting the 3 if he is wide open. It will mean he understands that the long-2 is not in his repertoire. I also think, that eventually, KO gets this team to make the extra pass.

Pretty much agree with what you say, that is why I started the sentence with "To date," But I expected more from the All American Ferrari and even SC2. Hope it comes, it has to improve. Based on last year, I thought TS would be better not worse but I like your explanation

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree with what you say, that is why I started the sentence with "To date," But I expected more from the All American Ferrari and even SC2. Hope it comes, it has to improve. Based on last year, I thought TS would be better not worse but I like your explanation

I just don't see any reason to panic with this team-i did after games 1 and 2-but the way they defended texas and duke made it pretty clear that even with Hamilton/Facey making youth mistakes, they'll be top 30 defensively, which means you can win any game you play. EVERYONE has a new role and I am confident that in another month or so, KO will have one of Purvis/Calhoun/Cassell, playing in a way that complements the rest of the team. Its not like these are raw kids that can't play basketball, they just aren't used to playing with each other and don't fully understand their roles bc their roles havent been determined yet.

If the team looks like a mess on O in another month, failing to make the extra pass, taking early clock shots not in transition, having Purvis/Cassell force up 17 footers, then yea, we may be sunk. Until then, we dont have the talent to dominate every team every game November to March, so enjoy watching the team be put together and hope the finished product can win some games in the tournament. Hopefully in a year or two, recruiting is back to top ten status and we are steamrolling people while figuring out who can do what.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure adams can come in here and start from the jump at the 1. He is a scoring pg but so is boatright. Getting dorsey would be pretty awesome, just because he already has chemistry with hamilton and is a big time shooter.
There is no choice next year on Adams because we have no other PGs. Getting Dorsey changes things but we are going to be inexperienced at PG no matter what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom