Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
After seeing Christyn Williams rise above the competition in the McDonald's All-American game it became clear to me that she is almost a lock to be the 5th starter - after Napheesa, Katie Lou, Danger, and Megan. Geno doesn't typically start freshman, but Christyn is truly a special player. She has played some international ball, and is ready for the speed and physicality of the college game. She has incredible court vision, a beautiful pull back jumper, a nice shot from the arc, and can pass with ease. Not to mention her ability to just take over and drive when needed. UConn will be more than alright next year - especially with Camara and ONO off the bench. (If A&M transfers come to Storrs, then it will be a long season for all of UConn's opponents.)
Your description of Williams experience and on court ability sounds a lot like Dangerfield's coming into her freshman season. With Coombs and Camara coming back don't be so sure Williams will start. The experience she has had does not compare to what she will see when UCONN practices start.

Reaction Score
I'm curious.is anyone aware historically of UConn players ever telling Geno that they don't want a specific recruit joining the team? Is that really a possibility?

Almost sure the coaches ask for and get feedback from the players. Pretty sure in his book Geno refers to at least 1 prospect not having good mesh with the current players and thus not getting an offer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Impact transfers and early entry into the WNBA have had the most significant inpact in determining the WCBB Champion over the past few years.
Jewell Loyd
Taya Reimer
Morgan Tuck
Natalie Butler
Alaina Coates
Kaela Davis
Alisha Gray
Brianna Turner
Jessica Shepard
Azura Stevens

Thanks for this post. Really got me thinking. After staring at it a bit, I tweaked it a bit to read (edits mine):
"The ramification of impact transfers (in and out), key injuries, early entry into the WNBA -- and the subsequent personnel moves made by affected programs -- have had significant impact in determining the WCBB Champion over the past few years.

I'm also guessing -- since the list is presented as it is -- that some of those listed had a positive, while some had an adverse affect on a team's chances. For instance:

- Jewell Lloyd and Taya Reimer leaving Notre Dame earlier than planned (one for the WNBA, one as a grad transfer) hindered ND the years after they left.
- Brianna Turner's injury in the 2017 NCAA tournament hindered ND's chances that tournament, but could've led to them seeking Jessica Shepard's transfer, which most assuredly helped them win the 2018 NCAA championship.
-
Alaina Coates' season-ending injury forced a refocusing of the South Carolina offense, which ultimately led to a national championship.

And, could I assume by her inclusion on this list that...
- Natalie Butler's transfer from UConn, cut down on the Huskie's depth in the frontcourt.

Once again, thanks for the initial open-ended nature of the list, but it certainly got me thinking. Now whether that ties into your takeaways, who knows? :rolleyes: ;)

Looking at this way leads to a bit more logistical takeaway on several of the themes mentioned in this thread (and recent other ones).
OK, back outside!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Almost sure the coaches ask for and get feedback from the players. Pretty sure in his book Geno refers to at least 1 prospect not having good mesh with the current players and thus not getting an offer.
Both Muffet and Geno have been onthe record as soliciting input from players about recruits ability to fit into the team. Also don't forget that each recruit is paired up with an a member of the team for the weekend and actually sleep in the Apts/Dorms and attend classes with that team member. Would be silly not to get input from at least that person. The only real question is how much weight the staff do you put on the players input.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Howard has style:

DZva1QEXcAE0QTr.jpg
Anriel is sitting in a field of Texas Bluebells. They plant them all over the state of Texas along highway medians.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Anriel is sitting in a field of Texas Bluebells. They plant them all over the state of Texas along highway medians.

Yeahbuttt.... She is in a field of Texas bluebonnets. In Maine we call them lupines, and they are just poking up through what's left of the snow.

Reaction Score
Danni,
Don’t know if you or your friends read the Boneyard, but I’ll ask anyway. Was the biker’s death that changed your mind about the safety of biking Connor LaFrance of Saratoga Springs?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeahbuttt.... She is in a field of Texas bluebonnets. In Maine we call them lupines, and they are just poking up through what's left of the snow.
I believe they’re referred to as both blue bells or bluebonnets. Either way, driving around the big interstates near Dallas, when they’re in bloom, the fields of blue flowers are something to behold.

Reaction Score
I believe they’re referred to as both blue bells or bluebonnets. Either way, driving around the big interstates near Dallas, when they’re in bloom, the fields of blue flowers are something to behold.
blue bells are hyacinths while bluebonnets are lupines.

Blue Bell is also an ice cream company that is popular here despite a food poisoning outbreak a couple of years age. A&M baseball plays at Blue Bell Park on campus, just down the street from Reed Arena.

Reaction Score
Your description of Williams experience and on court ability sounds a lot like Dangerfield's coming into her freshman season. With Coombs and Camara coming back don't be so sure Williams will start. The experience she has had does not compare to what she will see when UCONN practices start.
Dangerfield was a great player when she arrived but Williams is an even better player, bigger , stronger, and better shooter. She is very aggressive and takes it to the hoop with power.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Dangerfield was a great player when she arrived but Williams is an even better player, bigger , stronger, and better shooter. She is very aggressive and takes it to the hoop with power.
I was mainly speaking of her pre-college experience. It was similar to Dangerfield's.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Danni transfers to UConn, the 1000 mile round trip her parents have been making to watch her play over the last 3 years will seem like a drive around the block.
A steady diet of SNY and a few flights should work nicely.

Reaction Score
I am not sure where Williams ends up, but I think Howard stays in the south and transfers to Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
I'm curious.is anyone aware historically of UConn players ever telling Geno that they don't want a specific recruit joining the team? Is that really a possibility?
How would one ever know if that did or did not happen?
If the coaching staff is asking all or some of the players for their input, then they need to (and I'm sure would) take it in, whatever it is.
Gene clearly has engaged both KLS and CD in their input during games. If he trusts them to tell him what they see then, he would in this circumstance. If he doesn't want or value their opinions in whatever regard, he's surely demonstrated the ability to make his own decisions.
I don't doubt for a second that if a highly regarded player had something to add, they'd be encouraged to say it. I do agree if you're driving at responses about someone losing playing time, that would not go over well!
Teams / organizations / companies that empower their people to be real parts of the decision making process, within some pre-determined guidelines, I believe actually exceed those that don't.
Sorry if I somehow misinterpreted your comment!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
How would one ever know if that did or did not happen?
If the coaching staff is asking all or some of the players for their input, then they need to (and I'm sure would) take it in, whatever it is.
Gene clearly has engaged both KLS and CD in their input during games. If he trusts them to tell him what they see then, he would in this circumstance. If he doesn't want or value their opinions in whatever regard, he's surely demonstrated the ability to make his own decisions.
I don't doubt for a second that if a highly regarded player had something to add, they'd be encouraged to say it. I do agree if you're driving at responses about someone losing playing time, that would not go over well!
Teams / organizations / companies that empower their people to be real parts of the decision making process, within some pre-determined guidelines, I believe actually exceed those that don't.
Sorry if I somehow misinterpreted your comment!
Bronx23

I would think it would be difficult for an individual player or even multiple players (especially non-stars) to give a negative response to a head coach who clearly has an interest in bringing in a transfer.........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would think it would be difficult for an individual player or even multiple players (especially non-stars) to give a negative response to a head coach who clearly has an interest in bringing in a transfer....
I agree with you if the decision is purely related to basketball ability, but here is where I think UConn is different.

Most recruits/transfers are on their very best behavior when they meet coaches for an hour or two during a weekend visit, in home visit, etc. But when they’re hanging out with the players around campus, in the dorms and elsewhere, they’re much more likely to be themselves.

We know that there have been many talented basketball players that Geno has rejected because they are not team oriented and would harm team chemistry, something that is critical to UConn’s success.

After a recruit has visited, what Geno absolutely wants to know from his players is, are they a good person? Will they be a good teammate? If his current players don’t give him confidence that a recruit has the right stuff to be a Husky, I suspect he will not offer a scholarship, no matter how talented a player is.

Reaction Score
blue bells are hyacinths while bluebonnets are lupines.

Blue Bell is also an ice cream company that is popular here despite a food poisoning outbreak a couple of years age. A&M baseball plays at Blue Bell Park on campus, just down the street from Reed Arena.

Can I eat Blue Bell ice cream sitting in a field of blue bells in Blue Ball, PA?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom