Tremont Waters | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Idk man AI is different. He's a cultural icon. The black community worships AI. We dont have an AI in that sense
Fair points but I'll take Selvie, Dyson, Robertson, KEA, Rip, Kemba and Shabazz + 4 championships, 1 NIT championship, 1 Final Four and Rays and Rips NBA championships over Georgetown and Iverson. We're a better option for the kid and we feature guards with his skill set. We've actually won with guys like Tremont.

Reaction Score
Great. Glad we've established he is a SF/Wing. So in other words, NOT A BIG. Don't lose the forest for the trees, folks. Our frontcourt is unbelievably bad. Like, low-major bad. I bet most American East teams have better Post players than we do this season.

Whether you call Terry Larrier a Guard w/ SF size, or a Wing, or whatever... I'll tell you what he is not. He's not a banger. He's not a post defender. He averaged 5.0 rebounds/game, so he's passable there.

Lets not get all defensive and miss the point. Our frontcourt is capital A awful right now. our Guards are really good, and maybe awesome if Tremont comes. Not sure why that is eliciting defensive posts. Its reality, don't sugar-coat it.

See, this is where wanting to be negative just crosses into stupid. "I bet most American East teams have better post players than we do this season."

O.K. -- first of all, we only have half a roster at the moment, and we know the coaches have to add bodies before you know what we have. But if the season started today, we'd be using Larrier to guard a 4 -- whatever position you decide he is -- and he'd join two top 100 recruits and a JUCO who started at Auburn. So in the middle of America EAst you really think you have that?

Things are in fact bad enough. But just throwing dumb hyperbole out there adds nothing.

Reaction Score
We may win by default

I'll take it, as long as it doesn't create another situation where the kid perpetually has one foot out the door.

To my earlier point about being considered big name, remember that we're talking about 17-18 year old kids. I don't mean middle-aged fans or commentators who saw the ascent of our program and appreciate our history over 25+ years.

To the current crop of recruits, whose memory of college basketball may only go back 5 or so years (and who care about exposure more than what championships those teams have won in their history), there are many programs who they would consider to offer a bigger stage: UK, KU, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Louisville, MSU, Florida, Villanova, Gonzaga. You could even argue programs like Maryland, Michigan, Oregon, Indiana, Virginia.

This program has some work to do to get back to a place where we're thought of as a premier destination by today's elite talent. Fortunately, the flip side of the issue about kids having a short memory is that it will only take a few consistently great seasons to get back into the picture.

Reaction Score
Don't really like this guy....but I agree Kansas would make the most sense if it were me.
You dont know him. Hes a good kid

Edit: My apologies i have thw wacko he's talking to on ignore :)

Last edited:

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Don't really like this guy....but I agree Kansas would make the most sense if it were me.
Trevon Duval may still very well up at Kansas. Duval + Graham (who will be ball dominant this season to up his NBA stock as a PG) would be enough to deter him

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath on a visit. He's quoted as saying “I think I visited enough, being from Connecticut and going to camps and stuff when I was younger,” said Waters, a New Haven native. “So I think I visited enough.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great. Glad we've established he is a SF/Wing. So in other words, NOT A BIG. Don't lose the forest for the trees, folks. Our frontcourt is unbelievably bad. Like, low-major bad. I bet most American East teams have better Post players than we do this season.

Whether you call Terry Larrier a Guard w/ SF size, or a Wing, or whatever... I'll tell you what he is not. He's not a banger. He's not a post defender. He averaged 5.0 rebounds/game, so he's passable there.

Lets not get all defensive and miss the point. Our frontcourt is capital A awful right now. our Guards are really good, and maybe awesome if Tremont comes. Not sure why that is eliciting defensive posts. Its reality, don't sugar-coat it.

You know who else isn't a banger? Josh Jackson. You know who played power forward for Kansas all year last year? Josh Jackson. Look. I'd love to have a roster that allowed us to play Larrier just at the 3. I'm sure he'd love that too. I don't think we'll go 3 guard all the time, but we will do that quite a bit if Waters signs, and when we do, TL is the 4. If some stud C or PF drops in our laps, then things will change. Terry has the size and strength (much stronger looking than he was at VCU) to play the position. I'm mostly worried about his desire to do so.

Reaction Score
What am I missing about Kansas? Mason is gone. Seems like they have a lot of playing time available and that national stage he said himself he'd like.

Reaction Score
What am I missing about Kansas? Mason is gone. Seems like they have a lot of playing time available and that national stage he said himself he'd like.
If they get Duval, who is the #1 point guard recruit in the country, they would not have room for him even if they wanted him

Reaction Score
Graham's returning for his senior year, Newman transferred there with the idea that he'd be turned into a PG, they signed Garrett, a 4-star PG from the midwest, and are still in play for Duval (who just said that he liked the atmosphere at the Kansas game better than Duke/UNC).

In addition, they have a couple of SGs and SFs on that team. So there's really not much playing time to be had there.

Reaction Score
Graham's returning for his senior year, Newman transferred there with the idea that he'd be turned into a PG, they signed Garrett, a 4-star PG from the midwest, and are still in play for Duval (who just said that he liked the atmosphere at the Kansas game better than Duke/UNC).

In addition, they have a couple of SGs and SFs on that team. So there's really not much playing time to be had there.
Didn't do much research so thank you. Anyways, niiiice

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Trevon Duval may still very well up at Kansas. Duval + Graham (who will be ball dominant this season to up his NBA stock as a PG) would be enough to deter him

Yes. Graham is starting at PG. Lagerald Vick is going to see a lot of minutes at SG/SF. Malik Newman is likely going to start at SG. He's 5* who transferred from Miss State. Newman is 6'3" and will likely want to showcase some PG skills, since he'd be a scoring point guard in the NBA. They signed a 4* combo guard as well.

Those four guys are going to eat up a lot of minutes. There is less PT at KU than at UConn, even if they don't get Duval.

Reaction Score
See, this is where wanting to be negative just crosses into stupid. "I bet most American East teams have better post players than we do this season."

O.K. -- first of all, we only have half a roster at the moment, and we know the coaches have to add bodies before you know what we have. But if the season started today, we'd be using Larrier to guard a 4 -- whatever position you decide he is -- and he'd join two top 100 recruits and a JUCO who started at Auburn. So in the middle of America EAst you really think you have that?

Things are in fact bad enough. But just throwing dumb hyperbole out there adds nothing.

Who are the 2 top 100 guys? Who is the Juco who started at Auburn? Sorry if I missed something I don't check in every day(?)

My point is that looking at this group, given our recent frontcourt performance and the disparity between backcourt and frontcourt quality, its pretty insane. I don't think my outlook is particularly over-the-top negative, but rather your optimism on what bodies we will be able to scare up is crazy.

Returning
Alterique - G
Jalen Adams - G
Vital - G
Larrier - W
Diarra - F (if he's healthy)
Walk-ons

Commits
Cobb - F/C - 3 star Juco formerly of South Carolina(1.1pts, 1.6rb)
Polley - F - 3/4 star, 138 ranked
Carlton - C - 3 star, 145 ranked

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no room at Kansas for a 2017 point guard.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fair points but I'll take Selvie, Dyson, Robertson, KEA, Rip, Kemba and Shabazz + 4 championships, 1 NIT championship, 1 Final Four and Rays and Rips NBA championships over Georgetown and Iverson. We're a better option for the kid and we feature guards with his skill set. We've actually won with guys like Tremont.

Seriously. I mean, if I'm 7'0 260, I'm giving Gtown a long hard look. But if I'm a guard? Forget about it.

Love that you threw my man Tony in there.

Reaction Score
One of the TOS reporters said keep an eye on Western Kentucky with waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member