Tre Mitchell in the transfer portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Of course he can and, if he has any hopes of playing in the NBA, he has to do it as a 4. He is good and would make us better.

Why can’t he play the 4? Isn’t that his position or I’m trippin? With his outside and scoring touch he seems like a good match with Sanogo not his back up
I looked through all his UMass stats yesterday, he's played 34 of his 2340 possessions at the 4 and 2306 at the 5. Maybe they were playing him out of position the whole time, but that seems very unlikely. His defense would be a huge issue at the 4

Reaction Score
I looked through all his UMass stats yesterday, he's played 34 of his 2340 possessions at the 4 and 2306 at the 5. Maybe they were playing him out of position the whole time, but that seems very unlikely. His defense would be a huge issue at the 4
This is UMass we are talking about. They aren't pulling in high quality 5s. I need proof that the kid can't guard a 4.

Reaction Score
I have seen him play numerous times in person at UMass. He is a very talented offensive player. Surprised they haven’t done better there with a talent like him. Wherever he lands he will not take to being in any kind of backup role. I’m guessing he simply wants more exposure on a bigger stage and a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament
Why would Providence be the leader if he is looking to get into the NCAA tournament?

Reaction Score

Bergeron, a Springfield native, is so close to Mitchell that he is engaged to the player’s mother, Erin Tortorice, and lives with them in his home near Amherst. If anyone could have kept Mitchell at UMass, it would seem to have been Bergeron.

The fact that Mitchell entered the NCAA’s transfer portal and is all but certain to depart drastically depreciated Bergeron’s value in Amherst. His contract called for him to earn $232,000 next season, beginning April 11, plus a $6,000 car allowance, six season tickets to home games, and $5,500 in possible incentives tied to the team’s success. He also received a $10,000 signing bonus.

But Bamford apparently had seen enough. Under Bergeron’s contract, UMass is required to pay 25 percent of his base salary, or $58,000, to buy out the final year of his contract.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Bergeron, a Springfield native, is so close to Mitchell that he is engaged to the player’s mother, Erin Tortorice, and lives with them in his home near Amherst. If anyone could have kept Mitchell at UMass, it would seem to have been Bergeron.

The fact that Mitchell entered the NCAA’s transfer portal and is all but certain to depart drastically depreciated Bergeron’s value in Amherst. His contract called for him to earn $232,000 next season, beginning April 11, plus a $6,000 car allowance, six season tickets to home games, and $5,500 in possible incentives tied to the team’s success. He also received a $10,000 signing bonus.

But Bamford apparently had seen enough. Under Bergeron’s contract, UMass is required to pay 25 percent of his base salary, or $58,000, to buy out the final year of his contract.

Lol

Reaction Score
That story is so hysterical to me. I taught at Woodstock Academy at the time all of that foolishness went down, Bergeron is such a weasel. Sadly, he'll land on his feet somewhere. Face buried in his cell phone 24/7. Overrated coach IMO anyway, but he'll land on his feet.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That story is so hysterical to me. I taught at Woodstock Academy at the time all of that foolishness went down, Bergeron is such a weasel. Sadly, he'll land on his feet somewhere. Face buried in his cell phone 24/7. Overrated coach IMO anyway, but he'll land on his feet.
Dude has one meal ticket and has now burned 2 years of eligibility. It will be interesting if some other school hires him to get Tre.

Reaction Score

Woodstock's basketball program is sketchy as hell. We played them last year. The rumors are... not great we'll say.

To be fair all of these sort of 2nd/3rd tier basketball factories are. PSA and Woodstocj definitely are.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Woodstock's basketball program is sketchy as hell. We played them last year. The rumors are... not great we'll say.

To be fair all of these sort of 2nd/3rd tier basketball factories are. PSA and Woodstocj definitely are.
I remember looking up PSA a few years ago wondering how it was getting all these great players, it is barely a school.

Reaction Score

Yeah, well to delve a little deeper into the "history" of the program.. The administration at WA had a handshake deal to absorb the PSA program 4-5 years ago and at the last minute a wealthy investor dropped a few million into the school and PSA walked away from the deal. Administration dealt with this in a very petty way (that's how they deal with everything up there) and decided to create a post grad program and essentially attempt to put them out of business.

The corresponding move with this was to buy the Pomfret School which had gone out of business and that gigantic business expense blew up in their face because the school fell into massive financial peril. Partly because they were putting all of these pseudo blue chip NCAA prospects on scholarship - meaning they then had to scratch and claw to fill every bed of the dorms - which substantially brought down the academic component of their boarding population.

They found moderate success with Bergeron at the helm, but obviously he was up to some below board activities while there. He found a better deal, I think they knew he eventually would, and he pointed them in the direction of his successor and the program has been just treading water since then.

I've sent a few players to PSA over the years, and while the program has found success and continues to raise it's profile - I just have always been concerned with the academics there. Whenever someone asks me about the place, I just respond with a deep sigh and say, I just hope these kids' transcripts aren't scrutinized heading into college. Tommy is a good guy and does a great job up there, but as an educator myself, the academic component up there is very troubling.

Reaction Score
He played the 5 cause he was the best center on the team and they had no one else. It’s the A10 so the league plays small too. His skill set plays much closer to a 4 though, especially if he wants any shot at playing in the NBA

Reaction Score

Wow. Probably could have seen this coming once Mitchell entered the transfer portal. Well if there was any question at all why he was hired at UMass (which there really wasn't!) this proves it was true.

Reaction Score
I wonder if where Mitchell ends up will also have to come with a package deal...
I low-key LOL'd at this comment. Where will Mitchell and the other half-dozen Woodstock kids package to? Penn State, Cincy or South Florida?

Reaction Score
Yeah, well to delve a little deeper into the "history" of the program.. The administration at WA had a handshake deal to absorb the PSA program 4-5 years ago and at the last minute a wealthy investor dropped a few million into the school and PSA walked away from the deal. Administration dealt with this in a very petty way (that's how they deal with everything up there) and decided to create a post grad program and essentially attempt to put them out of business.

The corresponding move with this was to buy the Pomfret School which had gone out of business and that gigantic business expense blew up in their face because the school fell into massive financial peril. Partly because they were putting all of these pseudo blue chip NCAA prospects on scholarship - meaning they then had to scratch and claw to fill every bed of the dorms - which substantially brought down the academic component of their boarding population.

They found moderate success with Bergeron at the helm, but obviously he was up to some below board activities while there. He found a better deal, I think they knew he eventually would, and he pointed them in the direction of his successor and the program has been just treading water since then.

I've sent a few players to PSA over the years, and while the program has found success and continues to raise it's profile - I just have always been concerned with the academics there. Whenever someone asks me about the place, I just respond with a deep sigh and say, I just hope these kids' transcripts aren't scrutinized heading into college. Tommy is a good guy and does a great job up there, but as an educator myself, the academic component up there is very troubling.
It’s not the Pomfret School that they bought. That’s very much in business. I think you mean the Hyde School campus.

Reaction Score
I low-key LOL'd at this comment. Where will Mitchell and the other half-dozen Woodstock kids package to? Penn State, Cincy or South Florida?
You are so right. Match made in heaven for Cincy since they probably will have like 9 or 10 scholarships available!

Reaction Score
You already know the answer. Gotta keep their cash cow happy. American Rising.

Reaction Score
It’s not the Pomfret School that they bought. That’s very much in business. I think you mean the Hyde School campus.
You're absolutely right, I knew that, I just had a momentary brain fart, I misspoke - yes it was Hyde obviously. Everything else was accurate though.

Reaction Score
He can't play the 4, he'd have to be a backup to Sanogo which isn't happening
Wrong! They could play together, san would play low post (his strength)
Mitchell has much more of a face the basket game and could form a deadly high low combo. Mitchell can shoot from outside and Is a super passer.

Reaction Score
This is UMass we are talking about. They aren't pulling in high quality 5s. I need proof that the kid can't guard a 4.
Mitchell had to play the 5 exclusively at umass, no choice w their roster.
Way underestimating this kids talent, he will play for pay in the future.

Reaction Score
Mitchell had to play the 5 exclusively at umass, no choice w their roster.
Way underestimating this kids talent, he will play for pay in the future.
Now his hs coach Tony Bergeron has left UMass to, Tony and tre's mom now engaged.
This should get interesting

Reaction Score
Now his hs coach Tony Bergeron has left UMass to, Tony and tre's mom now engaged.
This should get interesting
Damn shame, really. If Whaley doesn't come back, this kid would be a perfect fit at UConn.

Reaction Score
You guys are crazy not wanting him and Fatts. Gonzaga and Michigan would take him but we won’t - that is insane.

They’d be our leading scorers with Sanogo. I love our guys - but you need competition. Only way a nice kid like Gaffney is forced to get better is to be competing for his spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom