Trashing Gampel | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Trashing Gampel

Reaction Score
The guest wifi works fine, most of the time.
Was good last night.
It didn’t work at all for me last night. And I was seated in sec 9 next to the hoard. How do they do their jobs?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot of Providence fans who attended last night are trashing Gampel. Bad concourse, no cell phones, dump, chit hole, etc. But they all admit it is loud and intimidating, reason I love it.
But you you know why I love it most. There are 15 frigging National Championship banners hanging there and numerous Hall of Fame players jersey numbers hanging there, and soon to be many more.
Lot smore than will ever be in Rhode Island.

Who cares? Why do you care? Why should anyone care?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think it saved our season. Now if we can get Jackson worked in even better into the dunker and screener role in the halfcourt we're going to be really hard for anyone to beat, especially if we cut down on the turnovers.
Seton Hall played off of Andre, lost him several times and he made them pay for it with baseline dunks. Providence played closer to him opening up the driving lanes and allowing Adama to not get double teamed as often. And he finally made a midrange floater. I had flashbacks of Jeremy Lamb.

Three of those early turnovers were from Hawkins. Don’t like turnovers but love that he is working on distributing ball when driving to the lane. Always wonderful to see any player expanding their skills never mind a great player.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Why do you care? Why should anyone care?
The lack of respect just rubs me the wrong way. In 1985 when Calhoun and Geno came to Storrs, Providence was way more established in both womens and mens basketball. What was built here and is represented by the banners in the rafters should garner something.

Reaction Score
The cellphone service is head, shoulders, and torso above the XL Center. Of course I was able to get on, and stay connected, to the Gampel-Guest WiFi network. Didn't notice the concourse, because I barely left my seat.

It was not MSU '98 loud, but the atmosphere had to have been intimidating to a visiting program. It was an overall evening of basketball.
That MSU game was a thing of beauty

Reaction Score
It didn’t work at all for me last night. And I was seated in sec 9 next to the hoard. How do they do their jobs?
Their probably not using guest wifi

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The lack of respect just rubs me the wrong way. In 1985 when Calhoun and Geno came to Storrs, Providence was way more established in both womens and mens basketball. What was built here and is represented by the banners in the rafters should garner something.

If any Providence fan wants to chat with you about Gampel, point to the rafters and then slap him.

Reaction Score
Oh I think every other team's fan base respects it, they just might hate it.

Reaction Score
Hope the people charged by AD Benedict can come up with solutions to the concession issues and add more seating. Arena could get to 11,000 plus. Men's and womans restrooms in each corner. Concessions are beyond slow. Should be a line for beverages only. Always felt they could add 2-3 rows at the top of all sections running the sidelines. Currently there are only 2 sections with extra seats on wood risers there. Find a way to add seats on the sidewalk sideline areas. Would need to have portals but would gain seats with great sightlines.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
The concourse is horrendous and there was zero WiFi or cell service all night. Usually the WiFi works, atleast.

But I love Gampel.
WIFI at Gampel is a major embarassment...it's 2023 for goodness sakes

Reaction Score
Based on multiple different groups of providence fans sitting near me, if they were harassed, they brought it on themselves. Most annoying groups of people who came here with the goal of antagonizing.

Watching them duck out early in a blowout was amazing and I’m glad they hate our arena and hope they don’t come back

Their probably not using guest wifi

(Texts to friends with recap from last night)

1)
I'm surrounded by Providence fans...

Fine. Dude realized he doesn't have service. I said I have the WiFi...

He thought I was gonna give it to him. I said I'm only giving it to UConn fans!

He looked at me like I had three heads...

I said what, that's our home court advantage!

2)
Guy asked another providence fan for help, she said what service do you have. He said at&t...

I said oh that's why, we have a Verizon tower on campus!

3)
PC fan next to me was too ashamed to admit he was leaving so he lied and said he had to go to the bathroom with 5 mins left... After I got up and let him out of the aisle he admitted he was going home...

I said games not over. You still have to watch to see if you'll lose by 20 or not!

Reaction Score
Long live, as BE schools call, the “Comdom”.

Probably because when they play there they get f%*k#¥

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do people really think you can't watch every second of the game and use wifi?

Shocking, maybe they've never been to a game

There's pregame, timeouts, reviews, halftime.... I'd usually be talking about the game, maybe asking about a call, maybe trying to watch a replay they don't show us at UConn games...

And still 1,000% into the game. Most likely a lot more so than anyone who's not there.

As for the GP experience, I never move from my seat except when I drink a $ 2 beer

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The guest wifi works fine, most of the time.
Was good last night.
I think the WiFi is inconsistent in both arenas, especially with the return of sellouts

And no, it's not me nor my phone

Students were sitting next to me during the PC game, doesn't happen often, even they complained about the WiFi, and they said it stinks all over campus

Reaction Score
Such a great move by Hurley to get him moving and get him off the low block back to the basket stuff every trip. Really has made a big difference. Now when he gets an occasional traditional post feed it means something. His passing from top of key is much better than his passing out of low block, and that little ball fake and go from the 3 point line is giving teams trouble.

Agree with all but the little ball fake at the 3 point line. Please no more it gives us more trouble than the other team. Results are usually not good!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It does. It garners the envy of small minded Providence fans. So they lash out at those who are more successful in an attempt to tear them down. Let's see how the envious behave. Do PC fans and even Ed Cooley check these boxes?

1. They step out of character when others compliment or congratulate you.
2. They’re committed to scrutinizing your work—and misunderstanding your intentions.
3. They use ad hominem attacks and stereotypes to discredit or underestimate your intelligence, skills, and/or talent.
4. They romanticize your life or assume they're more deserving of your success because you've struggled less.
5. They diminish you while copying your characteristics, style, or work.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Could you even imagine? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom