Trashing Gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trashing Gampel

Reaction Score
What are you doing grabbing a beer or using the bathroom? You are there to WATCH the game!! If one doesn't drink, they don't have to use the bathroom. Easy-peasy.

The reality is that Wi-Fi/4G/5G has become a necessity. Boosting the signal should be easier and less expensive than building out the corners.

In comparison between last night and Marquette at the XL Center (a venue of which you are a fan), doing all four of these activities (Getting on Wi-Fi, grabbing concessions, using the bathroom, and watching the opposition get pounded) is less of a hardship at Gampel, IMO.
You're there to watch a basketball game, not to be on your phone.

Reaction Score
I don’t care about Wi-Fi. I’m there to WATCH the game. The only thing they need to do to improve Gampel is fix the lines for food/beer/bathroom. All they need to do is expand or build out the 4 corner areas where they have the concessions and restrooms. They will probably over think it and over spend, but that’s really all they need to do. We do not need some super fancy arena with all the bells and whistles. We are there to pound the opposition. That’s it. And as long as I can grab a beer/use the bathroom in a timely manner, I do not care. The beer/food lines last night were too long to wait in. As someone who doesn’t want to miss a second of the game, I refused to wait last night.
/thread

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
A lot of Providence fans who attended last night are trashing Gampel. Bad concourse, no cell phones, dump, chit hole, etc. But they all admit it is loud and intimidating, reason I love it.
But you you know why I love it most. There are 15 frigging National Championship banners hanging there and numerous Hall of Fame players jersey numbers hanging there, and soon to be many more.
Lot smore than will ever be in Rhode Island.
I forget. PC's on-campus arena, what is our head to head record against them in that arena?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Love gampel. Someone smarter than me just has to figure out the congestion issues, but that shouldn’t be a huge fix. Maybe after the first time a grown man pisses himself, they’ll take the issue seriously…

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Gampel logistically is terrible. For a million reasons. You can't drive to it, you can't drive out of it, the traffic patterns are mind blowingly bad. But it is my kind of terrible. I live 60 miles from Gampel and 50% of the time (the 90 minutes from leaving arena to my front door) it takes me to get home is to get from parking to South Eagleville Rd. The fact they are letting people park in the new hockey arena is really screwing the outgoing traffic up even worse.

You can't walk anywhere in the arena at the 1/2, there is no concourse and try getting to a bathroom or food or a beer. THe popcorn line combines with the bathroom line that combines with the beer line. 45 minutes before game time the one food stand worth anything (bears) had a line from one corner to the next.

Forget Cell service in the building there is no cell service anywhere even when you get out, until you get near either 195 or 32

It is pretty frickin' bad.

And I love it so much. It's home. Our home. Don't change a thing.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're there to watch a basketball game, not to be on your phone.

And people wonder why games are not consistently sold out or why the at-home experience has soared past the in-venue experience.

By this logic, fans are not there to drink $2 Miller Lites or eat overcooked chicken tenders and fries. Fans choose to pay good money (sometimes a lot of it) to be there live. They are not obligated and, contrary to the above, they are not there to only watch a basketball game. At the end of the day, they are there to be entertained.

Smartphones are ubiquitous in modern society, used for any number of reasons, and when 40 minutes of game time takes 120-150 minutes to complete, there is a lot of non-free throw downtime during the course of any given event.

August_West

Reaction Score
And people wonder why games are not consistently sold out or why the at-home experience has soared past the in-venue experience.

By this logic, fans are not there to drink $2 Miller Lites or eat overcooked chicken tenders and fries. Fans choose to pay good money (sometimes a lot of it) to be there live. They are not obligated and, contrary to the above, they are not there to only watch a basketball game. At the end of the day, they are there to be entertained.

Smartphones are ubiquitous in modern society, used for any number of reasons, and when 40 minutes of game time takes 120-150 minutes to complete, there is a lot of non-free throw downtime during the course of any given event.

The guest wifi works fine, most of the time.
Was good last night.

Reaction Score
You'd think they could expand somewhat. With the old rec center being renovated, all of the offices off that breezeway between the East and South entrances could be relocated. That would free up a lot of space within the building itself. I would think they could also build a single-level addition between the E+S entrances for a ~200ft long concourse. Remove the dozen spots of useless street parking on Jim Calhoun Way and you've bought yourself an extra 10ft of depth for that concourse as well.
Sounds too simple and inexpensive for the State of CT to do! But thanks for the good thoughts.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Quite simply because they did not play the way they did last night during those 7 games.

Reaction Score
Urinating and drinking are ubiquitous in society as well. Urinating and drinking aren't as important to you at a basketball game as your cell phone is. Urinating and drinking are far more important to me than internet access at a basketball game. I can sometimes do without all three but I normally have to pee once during that timeframe, internet service is pretty much at the bottom of priorities for me at a sporting event.

I don't go to the games at Gampel because it's close to 15 hours away for me but it sounds like the bathrooms are more of a problem than wi-fi.

Reaction Score
I thought this was going to be a trash the arena instead of the player thread. Have they fixed the floor yet? Glad to hear PC fans were not harassed, but still found the place inhospitable.

Based on multiple different groups of providence fans sitting near me, if they were harassed, they brought it on themselves. Most annoying groups of people who came here with the goal of antagonizing.

Watching them duck out early in a blowout was amazing and I’m glad they hate our arena and hope they don’t come back

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What are you doing grabbing a beer or using the bathroom? You are there to WATCH the game!! If one doesn't drink, they don't have to use the bathroom. Easy-peasy.

The reality is that Wi-Fi/4G/5G has become a necessity. Boosting the signal should be easier and less expensive than building out the corners.

In comparison between last night and Marquette at the XL Center (a venue of which you are a fan), doing all four of these activities (Getting on Wi-Fi, grabbing concessions, using the bathroom, and watching the opposition get pounded) is less of a hardship at Gampel, IMO.
Don’t you know we don’t win without the beer! We should be having more two dollar beer nights, put out of order signs on the restrooms and not let visitors know it ahead of time. All the while we’re wearing adult diapers drinking like crazy cheering our hearts out while visiting fans pee and s/t in their pants. Epitome of home court advantage.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yep and we were running the wrong offense with Sanogo and Jackson, especially with Sanogo.

Such a great move by Hurley to get him moving and get him off the low block back to the basket stuff every trip. Really has made a big difference. Now when he gets an occasional traditional post feed it means something. His passing from top of key is much better than his passing out of low block, and that little ball fake and go from the 3 point line is giving teams trouble.

Reaction Score
Such a great move by Hurley to get him moving and get him off the low block back to the basket stuff every trip. Really has made a big difference. Now when he gets an occasional traditional post feed it means something. His passing from top of key is much better than his passing out of low block, and that little ball fake and go from the 3 point line is giving teams trouble.
I think it saved our season. Now if we can get Jackson worked in even better into the dunker and screener role in the halfcourt we're going to be really hard for anyone to beat, especially if we cut down on the turnovers.

Reaction Score
Unlike many on here, I genuinely don't give a rats rabid behind about the venue. I'd watch us beat a ranked team by 20 in Siberia.
I feel this way when municipalities talk about $2b pro football stadiums.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Urinating and drinking are ubiquitous in society as well. Urinating and drinking aren't as important to you at a basketball game as your cell phone is. Urinating and drinking are far more important to me than internet access at a basketball game. I can sometimes do without all three but I normally have to pee once during that timeframe, internet service is pretty much at the bottom of priorities for me at a sporting event.

I don't go to the games at Gampel because it's close to 15 hours away for me but it sounds like the bathrooms are more of a problem than wi-fi.

I don't think any of that makes the point you think it does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom