Trashing Gampel | The Boneyard

Trashing Gampel

Reaction Score
A lot of Providence fans who attended last night are trashing Gampel. Bad concourse, no cell phones, dump, chit hole, etc. But they all admit it is loud and intimidating, reason I love it.
But you you know why I love it most. There are 15 frigging National Championship banners hanging there and numerous Hall of Fame players jersey numbers hanging there, and soon to be many more.
Lot smore than will ever be in Rhode Island.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whining about the opponents gym after a loss is so very Providence College.

That said, I hope the University comes through with the Gampel concourse renovation. It would add an exterior concourse, create more concession options and add additional bathrooms. I suspect you could probably add a few more seats in the interior concourse as well. Benedict has said that they are looking at options for a Gampel renovation. I have to think that they would address the Wi-Fi/cell service issue at the same time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The cellphone service is head, shoulders, and torso above the XL Center. Of course I was able to get on, and stay connected, to the Gampel-Guest WiFi network. Didn't notice the concourse, because I barely left my seat.

It was not MSU '98 loud, but the atmosphere had to have been intimidating to a visiting program. It was an overall evening of basketball.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I don’t care about Wi-Fi. I’m there to WATCH the game. The only thing they need to do to improve Gampel is fix the lines for food/beer/bathroom. All they need to do is expand or build out the 4 corner areas where they have the concessions and restrooms. They will probably over think it and over spend, but that’s really all they need to do. We do not need some super fancy arena with all the bells and whistles. We are there to pound the opposition. That’s it. And as long as I can grab a beer/use the bathroom in a timely manner, I do not care. The beer/food lines last night were too long to wait in. As someone who doesn’t want to miss a second of the game, I refused to wait last night.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
A lot of Providence fans who attended last night are trashing Gampel. Bad concourse, no cell phones, dump, chit hole, etc. But they all admit it is loud and intimidating, reason I love it.
But you you know why I love it most. There are 15 frigging National Championship banners hanging there and numerous Hall of Fame players jersey numbers hanging there, and soon to be many more.
Lot smore than will ever be in Rhode Island.
Forget arenas. PC is nowhere near our level. They aren’t even our little brother. They are our little cousins. They gave their coach a lifetime deal for winning the regular season BE once and getting to the sweet 16. If that becomes our peak, we would be firing our coach. It’s laugh out loud pathetic. I love that their fans don’t like Gampel. Don’t come then. We love it.

Reaction Score
I thought this was going to be a trash the arena instead of the player thread. Have they fixed the floor yet? Glad to hear PC fans were not harassed, but still found the place inhospitable.

Reaction Score
Any engineers on here? Does the dome create issues when considering expansion? For example, could an upper tier being around the circumference?

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction Score
It's not a dump. It's without modern amenities, but it's a great place to watch a game. If they called Hartford(civic center) a dump, that would be accurate.
And the roof no longer leaks, so we got that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Any engineers on here? Does the dome create issues when considering expansion? For example, could an upper tier being around the circumference?

Thanks in advance!!
Probably. Give me an open check book I’ll design you a cathedral.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don’t care about Wi-Fi. I’m there to WATCH the game. The only thing they need to do to improve Gampel is fix the lines for food/beer/bathroom. All they need to do is expand or build out the 4 corner areas where they have the concessions and restrooms. They will probably over think it and over spend, but that’s really all they need to do. We do not need some super fancy arena with all the bells and whistles. We are there to pound the opposition. That’s it. And as long as I can grab a beer/use the bathroom in a timely manner, I do not care. The beer/food lines last night were too long to wait in. As someone who doesn’t want to miss a second of the game, I refused to wait last night.
What are you doing grabbing a beer or using the bathroom? You are there to WATCH the game!! If one doesn't drink, they don't have to use the bathroom. Easy-peasy.

The reality is that Wi-Fi/4G/5G has become a necessity. Boosting the signal should be easier and less expensive than building out the corners.

In comparison between last night and Marquette at the XL Center (a venue of which you are a fan), doing all four of these activities (Getting on Wi-Fi, grabbing concessions, using the bathroom, and watching the opposition get pounded) is less of a hardship at Gampel, IMO.

Reaction Score
Whining about the opponents gym after a loss is so very Providence College.

That said, I hope the University comes through with the Gampel concourse renovation. It would add an exterior concourse, create more concession options and add additional bathrooms. I suspect you could probably add a few more seats in the interior concourse as well. Benedict has said that they are looking at options for a Gampel renovation. I have to think that they would address the Wi-Fi/cell service issue at the same time.
Yep, hoping for a few more seats and a much improved exterior concourse. I notice the vast majority of top conference teams have arenas in our range other than the relatively few huge less intimidating ones.

Reaction Score
You'd think they could expand somewhat. With the old rec center being renovated, all of the offices off that breezeway between the East and South entrances could be relocated. That would free up a lot of space within the building itself. I would think they could also build a single-level addition between the E+S entrances for a ~200ft long concourse. Remove the dozen spots of useless street parking on Jim Calhoun Way and you've bought yourself an extra 10ft of depth for that concourse as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom