Trashing Gampel | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Trashing Gampel

Reaction Score
I can deal without Wi-Fi service for 2 hrs. I’ll admit the bathroom situation in Gampel sucks their should be a mens and womens bathroom on both sides. I always eat before and after the game. During the week I sometimes eat 1 meal a day anyways.

Can people handle no cell service and no eating or drinking for just 2 hrs if it means being at a UConn game?

Reaction Score
Meh. I thought that was a B+ game from us. Too many turnovers in the 1st half.

We played our best full game against Alabama back in November. You might run into that buzzsaw at MSG. Good luck with that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Their probably not using guest wifi
As mentioned earlier, it is worse at XL, and I don't think it was only Madigan (notice how empty the building is. XL was nearly 100% occupied that night). I recall another of The Hoard also mentioning he couldn't live Tweet during the game and having to wait to get home. So I am not sure XL Center has a secure network meant only for the writers doing their job, let alone having to fight with the general public for a spot on an unsecured hotspot.

To be sure, not having mobile access is a first world problem for most people at most times, but what if an emergency sprung up for anybody? If one has the disposable income to afford attendance at a sporting event plus the ancillary costs that go along with it, they probably also rely on a smartphone for a great number of reasons and uses, over and above the ability to play Candy Crush while ball is in play, Heaven forbid.

Bottom line is that when people complain about an arena or stadium not being overflowing vs. those who choose to stay home, this is a relatively small, affordable, and fixable aspect to offer, bringing the live in-venue experience a little more even to at home.

Reaction Score
I don’t care about Wi-Fi. I’m there to WATCH the game. The only thing they need to do to improve Gampel is fix the lines for food/beer/bathroom. All they need to do is expand or build out the 4 corner areas where they have the concessions and restrooms. They will probably over think it and over spend, but that’s really all they need to do. We do not need some super fancy arena with all the bells and whistles. We are there to pound the opposition. That’s it. And as long as I can grab a beer/use the bathroom in a timely manner, I do not care. The beer/food lines last night were too long to wait in. As someone who doesn’t want to miss a second of the game, I refused to wait last night.
I think that’s fair but to say that it wouldn’t be helpful from a revenue standpoint to redo/expand the concourse and offer luxury or club seating is short sighted.

Reaction Score
The wifi and cell service is awful. Couldn’t even get a second half bet in :((( i think they should do a better job with it. I know everyone likes to be the “I live in the moment” guy on these threads and brag about how dialed in they are…..but not everyone is you. World doesn’t stop spinning just bc we’re picking on providence. I’m sure the game would be a better experience if people could check in with outside world at halftime or whenever. Although nothing beats getting 5 minutes off campus and seeing 42 game related texts flood in at once

Concourse/concessions pretty bad too. I’m not an expert so idk what to suggest.

But amazing atmosphere. So happy I got to go to both games this year. It was electric at gampel and at the amp. How it should be

Husky25

Reaction Score
Although nothing beats getting 5 minutes off campus and seeing 42 game related texts flood in at once
Wouldn't it have been a better experience to be a part of the conversation instead of apart from the conversation?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I think that’s fair but to say that it wouldn’t be helpful from a revenue standpoint to redo/expand the concourse and offer luxury or club seating is short sighted.
Not a fan of luxury/club seating. Sit with the rest of the fans. And I don’t see a need to redo the entire concourse. Much of what Gampel needs could be fixed by simply enlarging the 4 corner areas where they currently have food/restrooms - especially on the 3 corners that serve as entrances/exits. There’s lots of room to build those areas out. Also, something could possible be done with the galley-like walking areas behind the last rows up top. Let’s not get crazy with this…keep it mostly as is.

Reaction Score
I can deal without Wi-Fi service for 2 hrs. I’ll admit the bathroom situation in Gampel sucks their should be a mens and womens bathroom on both sides. I always eat before and after the game. During the week I sometimes eat 1 meal a day anyways.

Can people handle no cell service and no eating or drinking for just 2 hrs if it means being at a UConn game?
The drinking part is handled easily by bringing a flask.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Not a fan of luxury/club seating. Sit with the rest of the fans. And I don’t see a need to redo the entire concourse. Much of what Gampel needs could be fixed by simply enlarging the 4 corner areas where they currently have food/restrooms - especially on the 3 corners that serve as entrances/exits. There’s lots of room to build those areas out. Also, something could possible be done with the galley-like walking areas behind the last rows up top. Let’s not get crazy with this…keep it mostly as is.
If luxury boxes were added and the design somehow got the students all the way around the lower bowl similar to (throws up in mouth) Cameron Indoor, I wouldn’t hate the idea. Won’t happen of course…but wishful thinking.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It depends how and where they are worked in, but I don't think luxury boxes have a place in Gampel.

OTOH, a quality upgrade would be to replace the benches with chairback seating. Can't see a lick above row C of the second level in Hartford, but at least your tailbone won't be hurting for 3 days.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can do much more with a round geodesic dome. I can't imagine them finding more space. But is it possible for them to have the two side corners open to a new annex where the field house currently is (or whatever the building is that is attached)? Basically, original Gampel stays as is, but you exit to a new area with bathrooms, concessions, lounge area, large screen tvs (although you don't want people to linger). Most arena concourses are outside of the viewing area anyway.

I also wondered why UConn hasn't sold name rights to the arena. Harry A. was super generous, and maybe there is a contract that requires the name to stay for a certain amount of time or forever. But could they do some double naming? "Ted's Arena at the Harry A. Gampel Pavillion." Or, if we do the annex mentioned above, that gets separate naming rights.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I don't think you can do much more with a round geodesic dome. I can't imagine them finding more space. But is it possible for them to have the two side corners open to a new annex where the field house currently is (or whatever the building is that is attached)? Basically, original Gampel stays as is, but you exit to a new area with bathrooms, concessions, lounge area, large screen tvs (although you don't want people to linger). Most arena concourses are outside of the viewing area anyway.

I also wondered why UConn hasn't sold name rights to the arena. Harry A. was super generous, and maybe there is a contract that requires the name to stay for a certain amount of time or forever. But could they do some double naming? "Ted's Arena at the Harry A. Gampel Pavillion." Or, if we do the annex mentioned above, that gets separate naming rights.
How AWESOME would it be if we, here on the BY, crowd-funded for naming rights. We could literally call it The Boneyard, or Boneyard Arena.

Husky25

Reaction Score
"Ted's Arena at the Harry A. Gampel Pavillion." Or, if we do the annex mentioned above, that gets separate naming rights.

Think Ted has the scratch for that? The restrooms look the same as they did in 1998, which probably look the same as 1978.

Reaction Score
As mentioned earlier, it is worse at XL, and I don't think it was only Madigan (notice how empty the building is. XL was nearly 100% occupied that night). I recall another of The Hoard also mentioning he couldn't live Tweet during the game and having to wait to get home. So I am not sure XL Center has a secure network meant only for the writers doing their job, let alone having to fight with the general public for a spot on an unsecured hotspot.

To be sure, not having mobile access is a first world problem for most people at most times, but what if an emergency sprung up for anybody? If one has the disposable income to afford attendance at a sporting event plus the ancillary costs that go along with it, they probably also rely on a smartphone for a great number of reasons and uses, over and above the ability to play Candy Crush while ball is in play, Heaven forbid.

Bottom line is that when people complain about an arena or stadium not being overflowing vs. those who choose to stay home, this is a relatively small, affordable, and fixable aspect to offer, bringing the live in-venue experience a little more even to at home.

It's always an issue when you're on-call 24x7, as more and more folks are.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it have been a better experience to be a part of the conversation instead of apart from the conversation?
I'm amused that I see "apart" instead of "a part" alot* in this forum. And the past tense of "lead" is not "lead."

*;)

Reaction Score
I like idea of enlarging food/restroom area. This could be done by enlarging out or perhaps down. I’ve been to a few arenas that had concessions and bathrooms down a level which eased congestion. Would be more expensive to do it this way but just a thought.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like idea of enlarging food/restroom area. This could be done by enlarging out or perhaps down. I’ve been to a few arenas that had concessions and bathrooms down a level which eased congestion. Would be more expensive to do it this way but just a thought.

going up or down a level for restrooms can become a PITA for ADA purposes. Just build outside the existing structure to add bathrooms. Not too difficult to build an addition on the outside of the structure and then make a small passageway from the concourse in to the bathrooms. Do that on two of the corners and you add 30-40 urinals, about 10 more stalls for the guys and 30-40 stalls for women.

Reaction Score
I’m I like idea of enlarging food/restroom are. This could be done by enlarging out or perhaps down. I’ve been to a few arenas that had concessions and bathrooms down a level which eased congestion. Would be more expensive to do it this way but just a thought.

going up or down a level for restrooms can become a PITA for ADA purposes. Just build outside the existing structure to add bathrooms. Not too difficult to build an addition on the outside of the structure and then make a small passageway from the concourse in to the bathrooms. Do that on two of the corners and you add 30-40 urinals, about 10 more stalls for the guys and 30-40 stalls for women.
I agree that building out is the preferred way to go. Would eliminate ADA issues and would probably be less expensive. Going down a level would only be preferred if there is not enough space to build out and then having escalators might solve some ADA concerns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom