Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
This is a result of bad QB play. Why would a very good receiver want to play with a QB who can't get him the ball?

It sucks. But I understand. I think Aaron has a big future in front of him. Best of luck to him. Great family. Good people.

Reaction Score
This is a result of bad QB play. Why would a very good receiver want to play with a QB who can't get him the ball?

It sucks. But I understand. I think Aaron has a big future in front of him. Best of luck to him. Great family. Good people.
He caught 57 passes as the slot receiver last year. By Far Far, away the most of anybody on the team. Plus targets.
He was a focus of the offense last year. Given the lateness of the decision in spring training, he has realized it's not going to be the case this year. Look for a more diversified offense with more people getting involved.

Reaction Score
He caught 57 passes as the slot receiver last year. By Far Far, away the most of anybody on the team. Plus targets.
He was a focus of the offense last year. Given the lateness of the decision in spring training, he has realized it's not going to be the case this year. Look for a more diversified offense with more people getting involved.
I think this might be the case. We’re gonna a WR by committee and not have a true number 1 WR

Reaction Score
I think this might be the case. We’re gonna a WR by committee and not have a true number 1 WR
We might have a true #1, but it won’t be him. He was very good with the football in his hands last year. I’m glad we had him and for the plays he made. And I wish him luck wherever he goes. But he wasn’t great at making tough catches or catching the ball in traffic. He just wasn’t. I wish he was coming back — he would be a very useful slot receiver in 3 and 4 wideout sets — but he is not a real #1 receiver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Certainly going to miss Nates YACs. I feel like 50 of his 57 catches were caught behind the LOS.

Reaction Score
We might have a true #1, but it won’t be him. He was very good with the football in his hands last year. I’m glad we had him and for the plays we made. And I wish him luck wherever he goes. But he wasn’t great at making tough catches or catching the ball in traffic. He just wasn’t. I wish he was coming back — he would be a very useful slot receiver in 3 and 4 wideout sets — but he is not a real #1 receiver.
Who might be our true #1? Not to imply what you are saying is not true, but FWIW I’m hearing there isn’t really a true #1 receiver as in someone who we will be throwing the ball to every single time regardless if they’re open or not, but qb’s are throwing to whoever is open. I think it speaks how talented and deep our wr core is. My guess is Charlton is trying to make the qb job a lot easier and Very qb friendly where every wr will get the chance of catching the ball granted they are open and not force throws to a feature wide receiver who is not open. We did see ZT miss a couple of wide open receivers because he was trying to force it to AT or whoever was WR1. AT leaving sucks, but you are right he is not a real #1 and probably wants to be featured in an offense around him.

Reaction Score

No offense but your way off base. If (and it’s a big if) Cam Ross and Keelan Marion are healthy his role is going to be drastically reduced. I still wish he stayed.

Reaction Score
We might have a true #1, but it won’t be him. He was very good with the football in his hands last year. I’m glad we had him and for the plays we made. And I wish him luck wherever he goes. But he wasn’t great at making tough catches or catching the ball in traffic. He just wasn’t. I wish he was coming back — he would be a very useful slot receiver in 3 and 4 wideout sets — but he is not a real #1 receiver.
Marion has the chance to be that guy. Ross when healthy can do what Aaron Turner did and a lot more. Jolly has a chance to be that guy. Again, I’m not trying to be harsh — Turner would have helped and could make guys miss with the ball in his hands. But he was not a #1 receiver — he was a guy who could catch a ball underneath the coverage and then run with it.

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly.

Even with the rumor of another WR entering the portal (I have no idea but my gut tells me it's one of the big top two) we have Ross/Marion as out #1, Clercius as the traditional "flanker" deep threat (he was open a TON last year btw), Joly as a pass catching TE/ Big WR, the two transfers (Fitzgerald & Porter) PLUS two freshman who both supposedly look good (Dawdry is one of our best recruits ever).

So I can totally see Turner realizing his targets may not be guaranteed and grass being greener somewhere else.

I wish him the best tho, guy is a very solid WR.

Reaction Score
To be blunt, Turner has a lot of potential. He also has bad hands. I wish him well. I hope Ross, Jolly, and Marion stay.

Reaction Score
Looking at last year’s performance, I have doubts that he would leave for lack of playing time. Hopefully others besides Cam and Keellan have been impressive.

Reaction Score
Honest question, if we didn't have all those injuries at the WR position last year would AT have even played as much as he did? Did all the other guys coming back healthy make him realize he wouldn't be main guy again and that made him look elsewhere?

Reaction Score
Honest question, if we didn't have all those injuries at the WR position last year would AT have even played as much as he did? Did all the other guys coming back healthy make him realize he wouldn't be main guy again and that made him look elsewhere?
The answer to your first question is of course not. On your second we can only speculate.

Reaction Score
Several ways to look at this and I'm choosing to take the more positive approach and believe it's related to his being a Junior and looking at the quality of the other receivers, and how the offense seems to be evolving, and asking how much will I see the field.

When you look at the stats for his two years you could infer he lead the team in receiving because of the conservative nature of the offense (owing to the inexperience of the QB) in 2022, along with the near total absence of Ross and Marion in 2022, while his running ability helped increase his yards per catch.
2021? It was a mess with so many variables it's hard to draw firm conclusions.

Positive take (using data from sports-reference.com):
-Lead team in catches in 21 and 22;
-Number of catches increased from 33 in 2021 to 56 in 2022;
-Yards gained increased from 232 in 2021 to 530 in 2022;
-Yards per catch increased 32.9% from 7.0 in 2021 to 9.5 in 2022;

Alternate take:
-2022 catches increased due to absence of two best receivers;
-2022 catches increased due to lack of experience at QB (resulting in most passes being completed behind the line or within 5 yards of the line);
-2021 yards per catch (7.0) was sixth on the team among those with 10 or more catches (Marion 16.9, Clercius 13.0, Rose 10.5,Niemenski 10.2 and Houston 9.3)
-2022 yards per catch (9.5) was third on the team among those with 10 or more catches (Joly 13.9, Clercius 12.0)

Just hoping no other important receiver leaves.

Reaction Score
The answer to your first question is of course not. On your second we can only speculate.
Just seems odd that everyone is acting like we just lost the next Justin Jefferson with him leaving. Seems to me that after going through Spring ball that the role was not what he expected and now wants a new start. Will be interesting though to see where he lands.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just seems odd that everyone is acting like we just lost the next Justin Jefferson with him leaving. Seems to me that after going through Spring ball that the role was not what he expected and now wants a new start. Will be interesting though to see where he lands.

A large part of the answer for us fans will be where he ends up and how much PT he gets at next school.

Reaction Score
We don't know. Maybe there are coaches really impressed by him and you learn that WVU or MD wants him to play there. What I do know is that if we stay healthy we can replace what he gave us last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom