Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put me in the group of Boneyarders who every time they see this thread updated opens it with some trepidation and upon reading it, goes "pheww", we can handle that.

Nothing against the kids leaving but it has been a tremendous two off-seasons in a row where Mora has held the fort with a high majority of the best performing Huskies choosing to stay in Storrs. You are going to lose a few every year, that's not not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Put me in the group of Boneyarders who every time they see this thread updated opens it with some trepidation and upon reading it, goes "pheww", we can handle that.

Nothing against the kids leaving but it has been a tremendous two off-seasons in a row where Mora has held the fort with a high majority of the best performing Huskies choosing to stay in Storrs. You are going to lose a few every year, that's not not gonna happen.
It really does feel like the staff keeps upgrading talent, on paper. We trade Dixon for the Michigan kid; the 2 dbs for the Udub and wv kid; do sees a Richmond add, the Louisville back and so on.

I do keep opening looking for another Carter-like drop, but you can almost guess on who’s leaving by who’s coming.

Reaction Score
If a D1 scholarship is your only pathway to a college education, these post-season months are perilous times.

If you chances of going pro are of de minimus proportions and you can afford it, then D3 or the Ivies are a much much better deal.

Reaction Score
If a D1 scholarship is your only pathway to a college education, these post-season months are perilous times.

If you chances of going pro are of de minimus proportions and you can afford it, then D3 or the Ivies are a much much better deal.
Especially true with the great financial aid packages offered by the Ivies and wealthier DIII schools.

Reaction Score
The bottom line: NIL money is a cruel joke being played on several million college athletes.

The P5 schools with big TV contracts cleverly designed a scheme that allows them to pay what it takes to get the best recruits (under the guise of fairness), but it'll play out coldly and cruelly for most of those looking for money over education because only about 1.6% of draft eligible college football players are drafted in a typical year, along with 0.8% of college basketball players. (see chart below)

One site I looked at reported that 83% of football players drafted are from FBS rosters and over 50% of those drafted were five star recruits and that % is rising over time.

So, the players will stay focused on making it big in their pro sport, with virtually no chance they'll do so, rather than working to obtain a meaningful education that will allow them to live comfortably the rest of their lives.

See details at this NCAA site:

There's a quote that the probability of a high school kid making the NFL is about the same as it would be for getting hit by lightning at some point in your life.

NCAA ParticipantsApproximate # Draft Eligible# Draft Picks# NCAA Drafted% NCAA to Major Pro% NCAA to Total Pro
Baseball36,0118,0021,2177919.9%--
M Basketball18,8164,18160521.2%21%
W Basketball16,5093,66936310.8%6.9%
Football73,71216,3802542541.6%--
M Ice Hockey4,323961217717.4%--
Last Updated: April 8, 2020
I’ve read your post a few times and am confused. Wouldn’t it be a good thing that the majority of college football players are getting paid while in college since so few get drafted? If a player gets forced out because he isn’t good enough to play at a top level he can still get a scholarship at a lower level school and would still have banked some good NIL money.

Reaction Score
I’ve read your post a few times and am confused. Wouldn’t it be a good thing that the majority of college football players are getting paid while in college since so few get drafted? If a player gets forced out because he isn’t good enough to play at a top level he can still get a scholarship at a lower level school and would still have banked some good NIL money.
this makes sense all the way around... but we all know the folks the created the entire system were the setting it up for their children's children only... the old Pyramid scheme... smh... with NIL looks like it's finally coming a tumbling down..... or starting to anyways... unfortunate part about Corporatocracy (sp?) somebody at the top always gets the most.. no true sharing of the wealth equally....

Reaction Score
I wish Steven Krajewski nothing but the best. But for those who were swearing he was the answer for his time here, please accept that no lower FBS coach or high level FCS coach agrees with you. Doesn't mean you're wrong. But it does mean the smart money isn't agreeing with you.

Reaction Score
I wish Steven Krajewski nothing but the best. But for those who were swearing he was the answer for his time here, please accept that no lower FBS coach or high level FCS coach agrees with you. Doesn't mean you're wrong. But it does mean the smart money isn't agreeing with you.

But what if he never transferred? He probably beats out Zion for the back up gig. And suddenly he has the controls during UConn's break out season under Mora. What is the opposite of serendipity?

Reaction Score
But what if he never transferred? He probably beats out Zion for the back up gig. And suddenly he has the controls during UConn's break out season under Mora. What is the opposite of serendipity?
If the staff thought coming into fall he’d be the #2, are you sure he would have left? My guess is that he was given a more pessimistic outlook than that.

Reaction Score
If the staff thought coming into fall he’d be the #2, are you sure he would have left? My guess is that he was given a more pessimistic outlook than that.
Gave him option to stay, but would have to compete for qb2 because Roberson was gonna be day 1 starter unless Steven Krajewski had an immaculate fall camp. During spring game, thought Steven Krajewski had a better understanding of the offense when he played.

Reaction Score
Then the staff made a mistake. ZT was not ready to play Div 1 football in 2022 (and who would expect him to be). Millen and Tyler Phommachanh were health type issues. Who was Mora putting as #2 knowing he was likely to play a QB who would run quite a bit (injury likely and #2 guy and even #3 guys would need to be ready)?
Looking back at 2022 it is hard to imagine 6 wins with the quarterback play UConn got from ZT with his 108.54 yards per game (111th in FBS) and 10 TD's with 9 interceptions and 6 fumbles.

Reaction Score
Krajewski was, to me, the poster boy for the QB type we needed to move on from. Nothing against him as I cheered for him to do well, but he like most of our QBs over the past decade always seemed to be throwing uphill and only grasping the vanilla offensive schemes. I know it is OC issues too, but after all that time at UCONN his best was middle of the road game manager. We need dynamicism in the QB position which Roberson and Turner seem to have and hopefully any QBs we get going forward.

Reaction Score
Then the staff made a mistake. ZT was not ready to play Div 1 football in 2022 (and who would expect him to be). Millen and Tyler Phommachanh were health type issues. Who was Mora putting as #2 knowing he was likely to play a QB who would run quite a bit (injury likely and #2 guy and even #3 guys would need to be ready)?
Looking back at 2022 it is hard to imagine 6 wins with the quarterback play UConn got from ZT with his 108.54 yards per game (111th in FBS) and 10 TD's with 9 interceptions and 6 fumbles.
Not ready for Div 1 but he makes a bowl game? Hard to reconcile that.

Reaction Score
Not ready for Div 1 but he makes a bowl game? Hard to reconcile that.
Not really. Won games with turnovers, rushing and defense. Could easily had 8 or 9 wins with just about any other FBS starting QB's and probably a lot of their 2nd and 3rd string guys. He was Johnny Mcentee without the youtube video (and with a better head coach).

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna say much... but this Zion slander is totally out of this world goshdarn.
Seems like a good kid and good teammate. We made a bowl game. But....evaluation of of Zion's performance on the field is not slander. Reality has to be considered at some point.

He was 115 of 131 BCS QBs. He led an offense that finished 127th of 131. He threw 10 INTs and 9 TDs. He didn't see the field well. He often did not see open receivers. The majority of his throws were short and to the outside. He played with an OC who protected Zion and didn't ask him to win games.

He may make a huge jump in the off season, this is a common occurance in college sports. But to be a consistent winner in 2023 and beyond, the Huskies must have improved QB play. This is a simple and obvious observation.

Reaction Score
Not really. Won games with turnovers, rushing and defense. Could easily had 8 or 9 wins with just about any other FBS starting QB's and probably a lot of their 2nd and 3rd string guys. He was Johnny Mcentee without the youtube video (and with a better head coach).
Could have lost the close games as well. Won 6 with ZT as quarterback. Anything else is hypothetical.

Reaction Score
Could have lost the close games as well. Won 6 with ZT as quarterback. Anything else is hypothetical.
It is not hypothetical that he threw 5 interceptions, a fumble, and zero touchdowns in the last two completely winnable games of the season. It is also not hypothetical that those 6 turnovers and lack of touchdowns were the main contributing factors in those losses. It is not hypothetical that throwing 5 touchdowns (only 20% of the points) and having 10 Turnovers in the 8 game post Michigan stretch didn't "help" us win.

Now you could say whatever you want for reasons like being a Freshman or whatever and that is all good. But anyone saying his performance as a QB was a driving factor in our wins or is not responsible for some of our losses is objectively on another planet. He may turn out to be a great quarterback and all that, can't predict the future, but the performance last year was unacceptable for any team that wants to seriously consider themselves a competitive team in FBS football.

Reaction Score
LOL, player stats are not hypothetical. In a perfect world Zion would have redshirted in 2022, that is not slander its the truth. This is D1 football not a CYO league. The 2022 team can be celebrated while simultaneously having concerns about the QB position going forward, it clearly needs to be a lot better and I am sure it will either by the incumbent improving or another QB taking the reigns.

Pindell won one game in 2018 and would have probably won eight or nine with the 2022 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL, player stats are not hypothetical. In a perfect world Zion would have redshirted in 2022, that is not slander its the truth. This is D1 football not a CYO league. The 2022 team can be celebrated while simultaneously having concerns about the QB position going forward, it clearly needs to be a lot better and I am sure it will either by the incumbent improving or another QB taking the reigns.

Pindell won one game in 2018 and would have probably won eight or nine with the 2022 team.
EASY!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom