Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
Yep I am a UConn football fan but don’t follow the team as closely as those regulars on the football pages, so please let me ask you a couple simple questions:
  • has UConn brought better talent in through the transfer portal than it has lost ?
  • how has UConn done this cycle on the recruiting trail?

thanks

Reaction Score
Yep I am a UConn football fan but don’t follow the team as closely as those regulars on the football pages, so please let me ask you a couple simple questions:
  • has UConn brought better talent in through the transfer portal than it has lost ?
  • how has UConn done this cycle on the recruiting trail?

thanks
The answer to your first question is that it appears that more talent is coming in through the portal than is going out.

The answer to your second question is we brought in a very small class due to the small number of upperclassmen graduating and I'm not convinced it's any better than the classes we've been bringing in, but time will tell.

Reaction Score
I think we're finding out a lot of kids are deciding to move on from football with all of this portal stuff...

Reaction Score
I would imagine that after spring practice concludes will see additional players exiting UCONN via the portal. Once the depth chart becomes clearer at the end of spring practice players will have to make a decision to whether they should stay or not.

Reaction Score
You're saying they are quitting the game of football?
basically... At some point, playing days end... for some sooner than others... Just looking at the percentages of who's transferred where after jumping in the portal... just looks that way, which makes sense...

Reaction Score
basically... At some point, playing days end... for some sooner than others... Just looking at the percentages of who's transferred where after jumping in the portal... just looks that way, which makes sense...
Maybe I am misunderstanding - I believe the list of the transfers is for who left and committed to a new school (i.e. still playing football). But maybe you aren't referring to that?

Reaction Score
Are the scholarships year to year? I believe today coaches are making cuts not just players choice. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Are the scholarships year to year? I believe today coaches are making cuts not just players choice. I could be wrong.
Yes. But it's possible that transfers need to be guaranteed the scholli if they sign.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe I am misunderstanding - I believe the list of the transfers is for who left and committed to a new school (i.e. still playing football). But maybe you aren't referring to that?
I get what you mean, but I'm definitely not referring to that... I think in life, for many of these kids they start making the transition away from their football dreams to grown up real world dreams... which is understandable...

Reaction Score
I get what you mean, but I'm definitely not referring to that... I think in life, for many of these kids they start making the transition away from their football dreams to grown up real world dreams... which is understandable...
This is especially true for players that have the 5th year of eligibility remaining due to covid. They explore options through the transfer portal and realize there isn't a great fit for their 5th year, so they enter the job market instead.

Reaction Score
This is especially true for players that have the 5th year of eligibility remaining due to covid. They explore options through the transfer portal and realize there isn't a great fit for their 5th year, so they enter the job market instead.
Exactly...

Reaction Score
They are. But, for many players they won't be run out until they have had 4 years. Like if a kid if 3 1/2 years in. They might say, you don't have a schollie for the next fall, but they want the player to graduate.

I think that's the moral thing to do. You can't kick a kid off the team after 3 years because you recruited him and didn't develop. You gotta see it through, within reason, and let that player get his diploma IMO.

Reaction Score
They are. But, for many players they won't be run out until they have had 4 years. Like if a kid if 3 1/2 years in. They might say, you don't have a schollie for the next fall, but they want the player to graduate.

I think that's the moral thing to do. You can't kick a kid off the team after 3 years because you recruited him and didn't develop. You gotta see it through, within reason, and let that player get his diploma IMO.
Fair assessment right here..

Reaction Score

If you look at the roster, there are some kids who were R-Soph this past season who will have been at UConn for 4 years. (Remember the COVID year). My guess is if you have been at UConn for 4 years already and do not have a spot after spring ball, they will probably move on with a degree. So, some kids did not leave in December to see if they can earn a spot or get their full 4th year on scholarship.

Reaction Score

That is how it should be. If the kid is trying and keeping his nose clean, the right thing to do is to give him four years. If anyone comes back for a fifth, or after graduating — at that point I have no issue with the school wanting the schollie back or the player wanting to move on.

I also want worldwide peace and for climate change to be addressed.

Reaction Score

"Within reason" brings many variables into the equation. Coaches are under tremendous pressure to win, so within reason this is a business and tough decisions need to be made. A majority of our guys do find other homes.

Reaction Score

Ehhh. You could call it running them out and it sounds terrible. Or you could say that the coaches have realistic discussions about the player's future playing time and whether or not they want help finding a new situation that they can excel in and be a key player. Many kids aren't in it to grind and just to be on the team and get a 4 year degree. They all have aspirations of starting and playing big minutes and going to the next level. A great coach these days lays it to them straight and constantly keeps them aware of where they currently stand. When they fall behind in their development, skill level, or talent some will want to stick around and prove the coach wrong but many will use the help (coaches connections, film from practice, etc.) to get to a place that values them a bit more.

I agree with the fact that if a kid truly wants to stick it out and get his degree after being told he is not up to this level of quality, see Richie Springs over on MBB, then he should be allowed to as long as he has good character, is a good teammate, etc.

Reaction Score
Well we have less than 5 kids from the recruiting class of 2018 still on the team

Reaction Score
That is how it should be. If the kid is trying and keeping his nose clean, the right thing to do is to give him four years. If anyone comes back for a fifth, or after graduating — at that point I have no issue with the school wanting the schollie back or the player wanting to move on.

I also want worldwide peace and for climate change to be addressed.

Agree, these kids should be allowed to get their educations based on those scholarships.

I do wonder if this changes dramatically once NIL and whatever successor form it takes fully plays out. At top programs it will be pay to play and education will have next to nothing to do with the equation. Under that scenario you have to wonder how programs and schools handle kids how don't pan out. Think professional sports franchise model..........

Reaction Score
Agree, these kids should be allowed to get their educations based on those scholarships.

I do wonder if this changes dramatically once NIL and whatever successor form it takes fully plays out. At top programs it will be pay to play and education will have next to nothing to do with the equation. Under that scenario you have to wonder how programs and schools handle kids how don't pan out. Think professional sports franchise model..........
The bottom line: NIL money is a cruel joke being played on several million college athletes.

The P5 schools with big TV contracts cleverly designed a scheme that allows them to pay what it takes to get the best recruits (under the guise of fairness), but it'll play out coldly and cruelly for most of those looking for money over education because only about 1.6% of draft eligible college football players are drafted in a typical year, along with 0.8% of college basketball players. (see chart below)

One site I looked at reported that 83% of football players drafted are from FBS rosters and over 50% of those drafted were five star recruits and that % is rising over time.

So, the players will stay focused on making it big in their pro sport, with virtually no chance they'll do so, rather than working to obtain a meaningful education that will allow them to live comfortably the rest of their lives.

See details at this NCAA site:

There's a quote that the probability of a high school kid making the NFL is about the same as it would be for getting hit by lightning at some point in your life.

NCAA ParticipantsApproximate # Draft Eligible# Draft Picks# NCAA Drafted% NCAA to Major Pro% NCAA to Total Pro
Baseball36,0118,0021,2177919.9%--
M Basketball18,8164,18160521.2%21%
W Basketball16,5093,66936310.8%6.9%
Football73,71216,3802542541.6%--
M Ice Hockey4,323961217717.4%--
Last Updated: April 8, 2020

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads