Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
Frankly, shocking how little damage we've suffered by folks entering the portal to date. Other than Carter (which despite our other options I view as a huge loss) Oladele was a useful backup and no one else had any on field impact.

I know, the missing key word is "yet" but still ....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Frankly, shocking how little damage we've suffered by folks entering the portal to date. Other than Carter (which despite our other options I view as a huge loss) Oladele was a useful backup and no one else had any on field impact.

I know, the missing key word is "yet" but still ....
Agreed.

I now have us as having 90 scholarship players which is 5 over the cap. And we haven't even announced a veteran RB or added another QB yet. Maybe we fill those slots after spring ball when there is sure to be plenty of remaining players w/o seats.

If we can avoid losing guys on the 2 deep (which would be amazing), then I think we have a decent chance of 6 to 8 win season next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed.

I now have us as having 90 scholarship players which is 5 over the cap. And we haven't even announced a veteran RB or added another QB yet. Maybe we fill those slots after spring ball when there is sure to be plenty of remaining players w/o seats.

If we can avoid losing guys on the 2 deep (which would be amazing), then I think we have a decent chance of 6 to 8 win season next year.

Agree. Usually after spring ball players have a better feel for where they stand on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

They must be using some NIL money to fund some of these scholarships then I would guess.

Reaction Score
They must be using some NIL money to fund some of these scholarships then I would guess.
That’s not how it works. NIL money goes directly into player’s pockets from the people/companies using their NIL. Scholarships are paid for by the school, and for the most part don’t go into the players’ pockets (although they cover costs the player would otherwise play). Schools don’t get NIL money.

Reaction Score
The non-scholarship guys are interesting. Has to be interested in going down a level, right.

Unless they get money, then why leave UConn?

If I am a walk on and not happy. Just leave the team and get an education.

It’s crazy to me that a walk-on goes into the port and try to play football.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Cut these boys a break. These young men are football players, working hard to chase their dream and following whatever path it may lead.

It’s crazy to me that a dude who writes about his favorite sports teams for a living is giving young men a hard time about following their dreams.

Reaction Score
Cut these boys a break. These young men are football players, working hard to chase their dream and following whatever path it may lead.

It’s crazy to me that a dude who writes about his favorite sports teams for a living is giving young men a hard time about following their dreams.
Expressing a viewpoint is giving someone a hard time?

I happen to agree with you, kids who put in the hardwork in the weight room, film room etc, some of them want to play and not sit all 4 years. I just don't see what John said being harsh of the kids.

Reaction Score
The non-scholarship guys are interesting. Has to be interested in going down a level, right.

Why are you surprised by this? Many walk ons join a program thinking or hoping that they’ll be good enough to eventually work their way on to the field. When they determine that won’t happen where they are, they have three choices: finish your career as part of the team without playing; give up football; or go somewhere else, usually down in competition, and get on the field. They are all perfectly reasonable alternatives and totally up to what the individual wants to accomplish. Don’t see why this would surprise you.

Reaction Score

Often walk-ons were recruited. We should not forget that.

The SA's are letting FCS and lower level schools know they are available. I think of that as unremarkable more than anything else. Doesn't it happen all the time?

Reaction Score

With all due respect John you should be the last to make a statement like this. Most likely as a journalist of sports but never having played sports has you not understanding the passion others have for their dream. Then again your degree in sociology would lead one to think you might have a better grip on the situation.

Players and a team along with the staff has to be a fit. That and players at a college age all mature at a different rate. Just a tad of D2 players that are NFL. D2 Football Players in The NFL: Now & Through History

"If I am a walk on and not happy. Just leave the team and get an education."
This statement leaves a lot to be desired from a sports journalist. That and sports teams become much more family than just classmates. You must have missed the joy and camaraderie from teams over the years when a walk on gets awarded with a scholarship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all due respect John you should be the last to make a statement like this. Most likely as a journalist of sports but never having played sports has you not understanding the passion others have for their dream. Then again your degree in sociology would lead one to think you might have a better grip on the situation.

Players and a team along with the staff has to be a fit. That and players at a college age all mature at a different rate. Just a tad of D2 players that are NFL. D2 Football Players in The NFL: Now & Through History

"If I am a walk on and not happy. Just leave the team and get an education." This statement leaves a lot to be desired from a sports journalist. That and sports teams become much more family than just classmates. You must have missed the joy and camaraderie from teams over the years when a walk on gets awarded with a schorship.
By that logic, having never been a sports journalist, you have zero idea what a sports journalist should be posting on a fan discussion site. Since you have never been one, you have no experience in doing that and it is impossible for you to know anything about sports journalism and what they should or should not be doing.

Reaction Score

This statement leaves a lot to be desired from a sports journalist. That and sports teams become much more family than just classmates. You must have missed the joy and camaraderie from teams over the years when a walk on gets awarded with a scholarship.
You really couldn’t have disagreed with the post without taking personal shots at the poster? John Silver is one of the few people who post here without anonymity. That really shouldn’t be an invitation to analyze his background.

Reaction Score
What I've gotten the most is that Mora and Co have really change the culture of the program in one year. We got a lot more updates via social media all year and the entire team seems like such a tight knit group.

Reaction Score
Who is this Casey Whitmer?? Nobody of that name played at UConn.

Don't know Casey Whitmer, but his brother Chandler is currently on the Chargers' staff.

Reaction Score
Don't know Casey Whitmer, but his brother Chandler is currently on the Chargers' staff.

that guy looks familiar

Reaction Score

working for his old QB coach…a name we’ll all remember…Shane Day

Reaction Score

I think y’all misunderstood my point.

I just want the kids to get an education and not make an athletic only decision. Walk-on status always bugs me. They don’t get everything a scholarship athlete does and they works just as hard. Even at d3 level, the commitment is crazy.

Also, I am old now. But, I played three sports in high school (xcountry, hoops, baseball). At old UConn-West Hartford (we played 2 year schools. We were great in November and December and then team always had to be reconstituted in second semester after everyone flunked out/got a job); played hoops and fall baseball there.

Why does everyone assume sports writers have never played sports? You would be surprised how many guys played at some higher levels and even in college. And, my dad wanted me to be a boxer when I was kid, which was great until I found out that if you breathe on my nose it bled.

Anyhow. I know sports and teams and the draw of playing. I just lacked athletic talent, not drive or dreams.

I have had so many parents, coaches, whatever try and play the — did you ever play sports card?

Of course I played sports, spent way too much time on them too. Should been studying accounting . Lol.

working for his old QB coach…a name we’ll all remember…Shane Day
chadler was a good player and good talent and could really throw the ball. Just came here at a bad time and was turnover prone. He could really play.

Reaction Score
By that logic, having never been a sports journalist, you have zero idea what a sports journalist should be posting on a fan discussion site.
We are on a forum of opinions, mine was different than his, just as yours. No attack again just an opinion.
You really couldn’t have disagreed with the post without taking personal shots at the poster?
I liked your post because I respect your opinions here. I probably got out of line in some folks eyes here due to the fact I find that poster in higher esteem on many topics. I do have a very high respect for walk on's and what they may have for a future game plan. There are a myriad of reasons that a walk on would enter the portal.
I guess my disappointment turned to anger, I'll work on that!

Reaction Score
If the ACC offered WVU I bet they would accept. Their programs are pretty much floundering as of late and could use a reset. Which school would be a better fit for the ACC, WVU or Cincy? I don't know the answer.

I think y’all misunderstood my point.

I just want the kids to get an education and not make an athletic only decision. Walk-on status always bugs me. They don’t get everything a scholarship athlete does and they works just as hard. Even at d3 level, the commitment is crazy.

Also, I am old now. But, I played three sports in high school (xcountry, hoops, baseball). At old UConn-West Hartford (we played 2 year schools. We were great in November and December and then team always had to be reconstituted in second semester after everyone flunked out/got a job); played hoops and fall baseball there.

Why does everyone assume sports writers have never played sports? You would be surprised how many guys played at some higher levels and even in college. And, my dad wanted me to be a boxer when I was kid, which was great until I found out that if you breathe on my nose it bled.

Anyhow. I know sports and teams and the draw of playing. I just lacked athletic talent, not drive or dreams.

I have had so many parents, coaches, whatever try and play the — did you ever play sports card?

Of course I played sports, spent way too much time on them too. Should been studying accounting . Lol.

chadler was a good player and good talent and could really throw the ball. Just came here at a bad time and was turnover prone. He could really play.
Amen on this post. I played one D1 sport and walked on in another one D2. What a lousy existence in both. I hated it. My son then played D3 basketball. He got an “academic” scholarship. He hated it and quit after two years. Playing sports isn’t always fun. You need the right coach, teammates and so much more. I never side with the program over the player when there is an issue. Kids that aren’t in the inner circle get trampled emotionally. It’s awful. There’s politics, favorites, guys that were “recruited” etc. We are all human. Coaches treat a lot of players as sub human.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom