Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
I’ve read your post a few times and am confused. Wouldn’t it be a good thing that the majority of college football players are getting paid while in college since so few get drafted? If a player gets forced out because he isn’t good enough to play at a top level he can still get a scholarship at a lower level school and would still have banked some good NIL money.
A little late responding, but we were away for two weeks and I wanted to cover the details that prompted my post.

The issue begins with a dichotomy: most players know they won't make an NFL roster and are OK with that because they love the sport and want to continue playing, while others dream of making it big as professionals.

Also, no need for confusion. The main questions that prompted my comments is who benefits most from NIL money and to what degree will the players benefit?

My belief, overall, is that NIL will be worth little to the vast majority of athletes, but we'll find out over the next few years.

Rationale? Pell Grants and "Full Cost of Attendance (FCA)" money is available in equal amounts to all athletes, while NIL money will vary by the value each player is perceived to bring to the school and its donors, or businesses supporting the school.

Benefiting most from NIL will be the Athletic Departments flush with cash from TV contracts, the Coaching and Support Staffs who get larger contracts for winning and the star players, especially the 5 star recruits, who make up 50% of those drafted in football.

The other 16,000 draft eligible players each year will get a little cash for signing autographs or shaking hands with alums at special events or selling some memorabilia.

Most players will make far more from Pell grants (maximum of $6895 for the 2022-23 school year) or FCA which varies widely depending on the school's policies, travel costs, etc. but is estimated to range from $2,000 to $5,000. Players can get either the Pell Grant or FCA, whichever is larger, and all can get whatever the market will bear from NIL.

Here's a quote from former NC State Athletic Director Kay Yow in 2014 when she was asked about "FCA": A "sizeable competitive advantage" could be gained when one prospect "counts up how much cash he could make by going to school A versus school B."

She was right and many non-P5 schools (like UConn) had to go further into debt offering FCA in order to compete for players. Now, those same schools are having to come up with strategies to get more money from other sources for NIL or they won't get the best recruits and will experience greater losses.

There's no benevolence involved. It'll come down to who has the best TV contracts and donors willing to foot the cost of buying and/or keeping the best recruits. Isaiah Wong at Miami really brought the reality of the issue to the fore and he got paid, but how many kids will be judged worthy of big paydays and how many others will toil in obscurity?

Some think it's great for the players because with coaches and athletic departments awash in cash the players should get their share. While that may be true, how many players on an 85 man roster will get more than a token payment? I guess the potential going forward is better than the nothing of the past, but who besides the average O-lineman's family and friends are buying his jersey?

I can't help but be cynical that NIL is simply another scheme, like FCA, developed by the "haves" to legalize poaching from the "have nots" and only a small percentage of college athletes will meaningfully benefit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This board lacks viaualization skills. Think about what happens if TR goes down in game 1, Steven Krajewski is the natural #2, and performs anything less than a completely different than his past performances.

Anything short of amazing would have had the entire fanbase screaming for the kid who turns out wasn't ready to play. At which point, half the fanbase is screaming for Steven Krajewski to be put back in.

Steven Krajewski deserves credit for not being dumb. Moving on was the right move for everyone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rationale? Pell Grants and "Full Cost of Attendance (FCA)" money is available in equal amounts to all athletes, while NIL money will vary by the value each player is perceived to bring to the school and its donors, or businesses supporting the school.
That’s why I would have preferred the NCAA to have stepped up early on in the process and identified some sort of standardized value for a college athletes NIL. The schools could have bought the rights from them directly and then we wouldn’t be worrying about third party NIL deals.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That’s why I would have preferred the NCAA to have stepped up early on in the process and identified some sort of standardized value for a college athletes NIL. The schools could have bought the rights from them directly and then we wouldn’t be worrying about third party NIL deals.
How do you do that and not end up with something that looks like collusion and NIL compensation suppression/mgmt?

Now, if the NCAA wants to issue a "guide to managing your NIL contract" without numbers; just a what to look for, avoid, expectations, etc, that another thing. Anything that looks like a guide to comp with numbers/ranges will look self serving.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do you do that and not end up with something that looks like collusion and NIL compensation suppression/mgmt?

Now, if the NCAA wants to issue a "guide to managing your NIL contract" without numbers; just a what to look for, avoid, expectations, etc, that another thing. Anything that looks like a guide to comp with numbers/ranges will look self serving.
Prior to the current incarnation of NIL, the gripe was that the colleges got to profit from the athletes name, image, or likeness without paying them. If the NCAA had said, we allow your paying up to X dollars for the rights of a students image and name rights without their forfeiting eligibility or it being considered an impermissible benefit, it works. If the students argument is, they can make more off their name, image or likeness by all means do it, but they can’t do it within the NCAA framework now, I don’t think you can put the genie back in the bottle at this point, but that seems like it’s a workable solution to me.

Reaction Score
This board lacks viaualization skills. Think about what happens if TR goes down in game 1, Steven Krajewski is the natural #2, and performs anything less than a completely different than his past performances.

Anything short of amazing would have had the entire fanbase screaming for the kid who turns out wasn't ready to play. At which point, half the fanbase is screaming for Steven Krajewski to be put back in.

Steven Krajewski deserves credit for not being dumb. Moving on was the right move for everyone.
If I heard you right,

That’s your view/visualization, not a fact. And certainly not clear to me. None of us know if Steven Krajewski would’ve been 2. He’s a nice kid and I wish him well, but your assumption is just that - an assumption.

One could visualize him being told he was option 3 and deciding to leave. One could also imagine had he stayed, HCJM reaching out to him while in Utah due to road game and first game, but ultimately going to ZT for balance.

Most, HCJM should not give a rats as to what fans think about the roster, game planning and building a sustainable program. He has a pretty good idea of who can do what w/in the confines of the system he’s developing. Those of us on the outside can only make guesses, educated or not.

Reaction Score
Cannabalize thy neighbor, LOL…

In the same vein…

-> Before the portal and one-time transfer rule existed, new coaches would often turn to junior colleges to find instant-impact talent to accelerate a rebuild. The landscape was much more competitive as Power 5 programs stocked up on juco recruits.

Now, with Power 5 programs viewing Group of 5 and FCS schools as their de facto junior college market, quality juco talent is filtering more to Group of 5 programs. According to Reed’s analysis at TCU, at least 242 junior college recruits committed to G5 programs, more than triple the number that signed with Power 5 schools (and there are roughly the same number of G5 and P5 schools in the FBS). That total is slightly higher than it was in 2018, when 237 committed to Group of 5 schools, per 247. <-

Reaction Score
In the same vein…

-> Before the portal and one-time transfer rule existed, new coaches would often turn to junior colleges to find instant-impact talent to accelerate a rebuild. The landscape was much more competitive as Power 5 programs stocked up on juco recruits.

Now, with Power 5 programs viewing Group of 5 and FCS schools as their de facto junior college market, quality juco talent is filtering more to Group of 5 programs. According to Reed’s analysis at TCU, at least 242 junior college recruits committed to G5 programs, more than triple the number that signed with Power 5 schools (and there are roughly the same number of G5 and P5 schools in the FBS). That total is slightly higher than it was in 2018, when 237 committed to Group of 5 schools, per 247. <-

Should be fertile ground for an up and coming program like UConn............

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Now official and public.

Best of luck to Ethon - thanks for being part of a great 2022 season.

Reaction Score
LOL, player stats are not hypothetical. In a perfect world Zion would have redshirted in 2022, that is not slander its the truth. This is D1 football not a CYO league. The 2022 team can be celebrated while simultaneously having concerns about the QB position going forward, it clearly needs to be a lot better and I am sure it will either by the incumbent improving or another QB taking the reigns.

Pindell won one game in 2018 and would have probably won eight or nine with the 2022 team.
I still remember the Boise announcers when he got lose and score. Something like "he's lose and has got room to run. Nobody's gonna catch himebecause he's got some wheels." It was just so matter of fact. He's gone.

Reaction Score
Most, HCJM should not give a rats as to what fans think about the roster, game planning and building a sustainable program. He has a pretty good idea of who can do what w/in the confines of the system he’s developing. Those of us on the outside can only make guesses, educated or not.
Exactly. All fan boards are looked upon as "chatter" by staffs. With the implied modifier of "meaningless" diplomatically left unsaid. I did hear HCJM once mention that they were working on the DB's reducing the size of their generous receiver cushions on one point after several weeks of fan howling here. But that cost him nothing to say.

Reaction Score
Exactly. All fan boards are looked upon as "chatter" by staffs. With the implied modifier of "meaningless" diplomatically left unsaid. I did hear HCJM once mention that they were working on the DB's reducing the size of their generous receiver cushions on one point after several weeks of fan howling here. But that cost him nothing to say.
Mora understands how to use all the tools at his disposal. Most importantly in this regard, he understands the media and social media are tools to be used. Edsall thought they were an annoyance beneath his dignity. It's why Mora effectively controls public relations and why Edsall was a disaster in the media.

Reaction Score
^^ Old news…

On practice film this kid looked like he would've been way more productive in live games for us... He looked like he'd be huge for us on underneath routes... a real YAC guy... Wonder what happened...

Reaction Score
On practice film this kid looked like he would've been way more productive in live games for us... He looked like he'd be huge for us on underneath routes... a real YAC guy... Wonder what happened...
That's how things are in real life.
Lots of people look like they'll be a good employee or player or a star on the job or field and just aren't able to perform.

Reaction Score
That's how things are in real life.
Lots of people look like they'll be a good employee or player or a star on the job or field and just aren't able to perform.

it also goes the other way and you get a nice surprise like Marcus Easley.

Reaction Score
He probably is a really good player, but, at least on paper, UConn does seem to have WR depth.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised of Tyler Phommachanh ends up at Sacred Heart....and lights it up there... that school has their stuff together at the FCS level. And they're still ascending, program and schoolwise in general.... Anybody else that lives around the Fairfield CT area should take a quick ride around there. They're not playing around.
Hoping he tears it up (wherever he ends up). Good kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom