Transfer thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Attention Dillon77: Raoul strikes again!!!!!

How is this possible, I thought Louisville already had a bevy of very tall people

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 40m40 minutes ago
Raoul Retweeted Louisville Cardinal

Jeff Walz confirming that Louisville does have an open scholly. One possibility is ex-Illini Chatrice White.

Raoul added,

Louisville Cardinal @TheCardSports
"We currently have a scholarship left to give," Walz on potentially adding another recruit.
1 retweet0 likes

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, you're a young 'un.

I hear you. In 8 days, I'm getting ready for an 11-hour trip to pick up my daughter from South Bend and can guarantee you that by the Ohio-Pennsylvania border I'll need to get out and take a walk....and not just to clear my head :eek:;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Attention Dillon77: Raoul strikes again!!!!!

How is this possible, I thought Louisville already had a bevy of very tall people

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 40m40 minutes ago
Raoul Retweeted Louisville Cardinal

Jeff Walz confirming that Louisville does have an open scholly. One possibility is ex-Illini Chatrice White.

Raoul added,

Louisville Cardinal @TheCardSports
"We currently have a scholarship left to give," Walz on potentially adding another recruit.
1 retweet0 likes

Due to the recent comings and goings there, I guess there is one scholarship open....with all due respect to our Cardinal colleagues, it's hard to keep track. However, take a check at the door: there's a mess of young posts coming in the door there. Plus, there will only be so many shots to be had in two years, with Hines-Allen, Moore, Durr, etc. still slated to be there.

BTW, Ms. White was scheduled to be at Louisville for a visit last weekend...no news on how that went.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Da'Shena, a Stamford native, played at St. John's and she's currently an assistant there. Da'Shena is the player that edged out Tiffany Hayes for Big East Freshman of the Year and was a key player on the Johnnies team that beat UConn at Gampel in 2012. Terrific player.
She was a heck of a player and that St John's team was an athletic and talented team!!!! And they deserved to win that game. I thought we would lose a couple fans in Gampel that night! :)

Reaction Score
Due to the recent comings and goings there, I guess there is one scholarship open....with all due respect to our Cardinal colleagues, it's hard to keep track. However, take a check at the door: there's a mess of young posts coming in the door there. Plus, there will only be so many shots to be had in two years, with Hines-Allen, Moore, Durr, etc. still slated to be there.

BTW, Ms. White was scheduled to be at Louisville for a visit last weekend...no news on how that went.

I just posted this in my old thread about UConn being short front line help............Louisville has two top 30 2016 6'4" recruits (Johnson, Shook) coming and they already have two sophs at 6'3" Fuehring and 6'4" DeGrate..............UConn has 6"5" N Butler
and ...........................................

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 12h12 hours ago
WBB: Loretta Kakala—6-3 C, Manteca HS (CA)—is heading to Louisville today for an official visit; #26 player in 2017

Blending power and finesse, strong and physical on block with nimble footwork in paint; interior game delivers in traffic; pounds glass, rebounds and initiates fast break; mobile in uptempo game; higher motor effort on both ends of the floor adds to next level impact; an elite prospect in the class of 2017.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How is Jeff Walz convincing all of these top players to look at Louisville? Some of ya'll talk about Dawn and her "unfair" recruiting advantages..but Walz is running circles around just about everybody on the recruiting trail..

Reaction Score
How is Jeff Walz convincing all of these top players to look at Louisville? Some of ya'll talk about Dawn and her "unfair" recruiting advantages..but Walz is running circles around just about everybody on the recruiting trail..

It's the shirts.......................and his has a stage hypnotist pretending to be an assistant coach................:rolleyes:.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No idea - I think he is a good coach, and the Louisville facilities are great, and the location is pretty good, but the school is pretty meh. Being centrally located certainly is a plus - they are within long driving or short flight of a ton of talent.
The other thing is that he has had very limited success with top end talent - less than most of the other 'top ten' type of teams - he is definitely a volume first recruiter and the roster hovers around 15 most of the time. Durr is the first absolute blue chip recruit he has landed.

Reaction Score
We should be hearing something soon about Stevens. Where ever she chooses to go, she'll probably want to attend summer school. If so, she'll have to enroll by mid-May.

Duke Finals end on May 7th. It's hard to imagine she would announce a transfer before finishing her exams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Duke Finals end on May 7th. It's hard to imagine she would announce a transfer before finishing her exams.

I totally agree. I also recognize that when you're a blue chip / scholarship athlete transferring in from another school, you don't have to jump through all the hoops than the average "non-athlete does. Someone from the basketball office (an assistant coach /staff member) is assigned to assist you (literally walk you through the enrollment process), and see that you are enrolled, and you get your desired classes. This can be done in less than an hour.

Assistant coaches/staff members are able to cut through all the red tape that non-athletes have to go through. That protocol is already in place. No doubt the athletic departments have a designated contact person in the office of admissions that expedite the process of enrolling new athletes coming in to the school. They can have her enrolled in school and get her classes in less than an hour. In most cases, the athlete does not have to physically be on campus for this process to be done. It was done for me, and that was over 40+ years ago. I did all of my school business and got all of my classes through a staff member in our basketball office. It was a streamlined operation than ran as smooth as a baby's cheek. ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I just posted this in my old thread about UConn being short front line help..Louisville has two top 30 2016 6'4" recruits (Johnson, Shook) coming and they already have two sophs at 6'3" Fuehring and 6'4" DeGrate....UConn has 6"5" N Butler
and ........

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 12h12 hours ago
WBB: Loretta Kakala—6-3 C, Manteca HS (CA)—is heading to Louisville today for an official visit; #26 player in 2017

Blending power and finesse, strong and physical on block with nimble footwork in paint; interior game delivers in traffic; pounds glass, rebounds and initiates fast break; mobile in uptempo game; higher motor effort on both ends of the floor adds to next level impact; an elite prospect in the class of 2017.

I did a similar post on another school's site :) and have one to add for 2016:
- - Bianca Dunham, incoming 6'2" forward from the Philly area.

On top of all that, it's not like Hines-Allen is playing out by the perimeter...she loves her lane. Going to need multiple police to control who plays and lane traffic!

As many have pointed out on this page, it seems to be a volume business (still) with Coach Walz, as opposed Geno and MM's more selective style. In my (very) humble opinion, little harder to get your recipe right when you've got ingredients coming in from all over the place.

Reaction Score
I did a similar post on another school's site :) and have one to add for 2016:
- - Bianca Dunham, incoming 6'2" forward from the Philly area.

On top of all that, it's not like Hines-Allen is playing out by the perimeter...she loves her lane. Going to need multiple police to control who plays and lane traffic!

As many have pointed out on this page, it seems to be a volume business (still) with Coach Walz, as opposed Geno and MM's more selective style. In my (very) humble opinion, little harder to get your recipe right when you've got ingredients coming in from all over the place.

I'm just amazed that a very much in demand post player would want to join a team that had so many others at the very same position and in the same class or just one year older.....................why would you want to play 8-12 minutes when you could be a 30 minute per game starter by your sophomore year with another winning team?

Come to think of it...........it must be a Kentucky thing because Cal does the exact same thing at Kentucky.........why would a top 20 talent be willing to play 10-15 minutes a game when they could be the focus of another competitive team?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

For the past few years we've had pretty full rosters. I think 10-12 is a perfect roster size. Next year we'll have 11 scholarship players and 1 walk-on. Post depth will be an issue but for the most part I'm looking forward to the smaller roster.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No idea - I think he is a good coach, and the Louisville facilities are great, and the location is pretty good, but the school is pretty meh. Being centrally located certainly is a plus - they are within long driving or short flight of a ton of talent.
The other thing is that he has had very limited success with top end talent - less than most of the other 'top ten' type of teams - he is definitely a volume first recruiter and the roster hovers around 15 most of the time. Durr is the first absolute blue chip recruit he has landed.

This is very true. Louisville has great facilities. The Yum Center is fantastic and their practice facilities are some of the best anywhere.. plus being in Kentucky means they have decent access to talent in the deep south, mid atlantic, northeast and midwest.. Good analysis.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For the past few years we've had pretty full rosters. I think 10-12 is a perfect roster size. Next year we'll have 11 scholarship players and 1 walk-on. Post depth will be an issue but for the most part I'm looking forward to the smaller roster.
I think when the roster gets above twelve, it can become a little unwieldy to get good coaching to all the players and enough practice time to keep everyone sharp - I think it can also diminish the experience for everyone, coaches and players. I use the word 'can' because it doesn't have to if the mix is just right and the players especially are mature about the distribution of time, but that isn't easy to do.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm just amazed that a very much in demand post player would want to join a team that had so many others at the very same position and in the same class or just one year older......why would you want to play 8-12 minutes when you could be a 30 minute per game starter by your sophomore year with another winning team?

Come to think of it......it must be a Kentucky thing because Cal does the exact same thing at Kentucky....why would a top 20 talent be willing to play 10-15 minutes a game when they could be the focus of another competitive team?

Yup...but a lot of the guys signing on to Cal's program know that they'll only be there a year or two before the "up and out" stage to the NBA. At least, they hope so :cool: Pretty sure that's not the same deal with Jeff & the 'ville.

But I completely agree with the main point. Ah, the puzzles!

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Coach McGraw seems to like that targeted size, as well. They'll be 11 players as of now (recoveries go well, knock on wood), unless one person comes in to take the roster place of Taya Reimer between now and then. We'll see. Of those on the squad last year, Irish players -- save Diamond Thompson -- all saw minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom