Transfer thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now she is a guard that UConn could think about even though we are stacked at guard. She was up and down like all freshman but she played great in a couple games I saw. Hmm. I wonder where she will go....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now she is a guard that UConn could think about even though we are stacked at guard. She was up and down like all freshman but she played great in a couple games I saw. Hmm. I wonder where she will go....
Would require a severe relaxing of the famed "no visible tattoos" rule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not saying it going to happen but if Geno and CD wanted to get the "unvarnished" scoop on this kid all they would have to do is pick up the phone and call Tamika Williams- now Tamika Jeter-assistant coach at tOSU.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Simple: Blue or white long sleeve, non V-neck undershirt.
Don't forget the gloves to cover the hand tat. Or the extra long shorts / leg sleeve.

Reaction Score
Why post a picture? It really irks me every year when this discussion comes up and women are deemed ”not right” for Uconn because of their appearance. I remember vividly how opinions on here believed that Anriel Howard wasn’t a good fit because she wore makeup and eyelash extensions on the court. Men are not viewed worthy or unworthy basketball players based on their looks; let’s do better people! I’ll get off my soapbox now. Thank you.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
A good twitter link to help keep up with players in the Transfer Portal.

Thanks UConnCat.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why post a picture? It really irks me every year when this discussion comes up and women are deemed ”not right” for Uconn because of their appearance. I remember vividly how opinions on here believed that Anriel Howard wasn’t a good fit because she wore makeup and eyelash extensions on the court. Men are not viewed worthy or unworthy basketball players based on their looks; let’s do better people! I’ll get off my soapbox now. Thank you.
That discussion regarding Howard was silly. This discussion however is not. I don't believe anyone has deemed Bell as an unworthy basketball player because of her appearance-that would be equally silly. The discussion is because UCONN WBB (note the W) has a policy/practice/standard that all tattoos must be covered while playing. Gabby Williams, for example wore athletic tape on her back to cover a tattoo for 4 straight years while playing at UCONN. Bell has several visible tattoos. This is a UCONN WBB form where this particular UCONN WBB policy/practice/standard has been discussed many times. Opinions vary from it's time to change the policy, to the policy will never change as long as Chris Dailey is breathing. What say you?

Reaction Score
I agree, I find that to be a little disgusting

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn’t Austin our number 1?
1585231259417.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In reading the tea leaves of all the stats, to wit as to why I don't think it will happen or would even be considered:
1. Started the 1st 10 games then got moved to the bench after the Stanford game. Didn't play in the 11th game so maybe an injury and never go back into the starting lineup
2. Had the 6th most minutes, but put up the 2nd most shots, including the most 3 Pt attempts of 176 while shooting only .319 from the arc.
3. As a guard, her assists were 49 while her turnovers were 60 in 30 games. Yikes.
4. We have plenty of guards and wings next year.
5. If she can't play for Kevin McGuff and his "gun 'em and keep gunning 'em" philosophy, how will she fit into the UConn ball movement game?
6. Whether the posters on here ignore the fact that the team protocol as dictated to by the coaching staff is not to have visible tattoos or not, the fact is Geno/CD do not have women with significant visible tattoos. The rest of us are just cognizant of that fact. No implications by us are being made.
7. This preponderance of evidence leads me to infer she would not be a target by our coaching staff.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
In reading the tea leaves of all the stats, to wit as to why I don't think it will happen or would even be considered:
1. Started the 1st 10 games then got moved to the bench after the Stanford game. Didn't play in the 11th game so maybe an injury and never go back into the starting lineup
2. Had the 6th most minutes, but put up the 2nd most shots, including the most 3 Pt attempts of 176 while shooting only .319 from the arc.
3. As a guard, her assists were 49 while her turnovers were 60 in 30 games. Yikes.
5. If she can't play for Kevin McGuff and his "gun 'em and keep gunning 'em" philosophy, how will she fit into the UConn ball movement game?
6. Whether the posters on here ignore the fact that the team protocol as dictated to by the coaching staff is not to have visible tattoos or not, the fact is Geno/CD do not have women with significant visible tattoos. The rest of us are just cognizant of that fact. No implications by us are being made.
7. This preponderance of evidence leads me to infer she would not be a target by our coaching staff.

Thoughts?
Is this a hard rule somewhere? What would happen if a member of the 2020 class showed up with 2 sleeves? Would she lose her scholarship?

Reaction Score
Is this a hard rule somewhere? What would happen if a member of the 2020 class showed up with 2 sleeves? Would she lose her scholarship?
These are situations for Geno to mull over. As many former players (and he himself actually) have stated he has mellowed through the years. Before one jumps all over poor DefenseBB, all he is doing is reiterating the policy as it now seems to stand. Minus ANY judgment, it appears to me.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agreed. Once Owusu starts to take conditioning seriously she's going to be a real handful. Sometimes however that never happens.
Since we both think that, if there is a 2020-2021 season, do you think Paige will be as effective in her freshman season as Owusu has been. It is my understanding that Paige is one of the best to come out of high school in years. How do you compare her to Owusu, potential wise? She looks a lot more in condition than Owusu is, not saying that she is in UConn condition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thoughts?
No disagreement whatsoever with your rationale or the conclusion, just wanted to see you fully articulate it. Times are a changing. The current 66 year old UCONN WBB coach may never change as fast as the times but he has lovingly embraced players with tattoos before such as Simone Augustus and Brittney Griner. That same coach has also optimized players that many ( present company included) though were not coachable- Angel McCoughtry. How many of us would have believed that the UCONN coach would EVER accept the transfer of a player who originally committed to TN coming out of high school. What needs to be done is to evaluate the talent, every thing else is at best secondary and at worst just superfluous noise. BTW I don’t think any of the posters are ignoring the contrast between the UCONN protocol and Bell’s tattoos- how could they?

Reaction Score
Since we both think that, if there is a 2020-2021 season, do you think Paige will be as effective in her freshman season as Owusu has been. It is my understanding that Paige is one of the best to come out of high school in years. How do you compare her to Owusu, potential wise? She looks a lot more in condition than Owusu is, not saying that she is in UConn condition.

I've always like Owusu's game................despite appearances she's just a baller.....................that said PB is a better athlete, better two point shooter, better three point shooter, better passer, better ball handler, most likely a better rebounder and probably a better defender.........................if she gets the 27 minutes per game Owusu got as a freshman, I think her stats will show that..........

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Of the little I've seen of Owusu she's a handful already. She has a bigger girth than Ogunbowale and runs the floor nearly (nearly) as well. She hasn't shown herself to be quite the clutch shooter Arike is but she's a clear threat to the arc, is tough off the dribble, and can post up nearly any guard in WCBB. Owusu has also shown she has the ability to become a lock down defender, and once she takes her conditioning seriously we're talking a lethal two way player. But from what I've seen she is far more an Arike kind of shoot first guard. Paige is already a better passer and shooter, and is more dangerous in transition---around the basket, with her pull up and setting up others for baskets. She's already a better all around offensive player and a better athlete. Paige also needs to take conditioning and nutrition seriously, but in the opposite sense. She's real skinny. Two years ago she was far worse. She needs to gain muscle mass, core strength (especially), and weight.

Defensively if you watch her against the premier talent she faced with USA basketball you see she has long arms, decent footwork, and anticipates passing lanes well. This bodes well for half court and full court presses, and the transition game. It'll be tough for her to become a lock down defender, though stranger things truly have happened. But she will be an excellent on ball defender in time. Paige is just a do anything to win kind of gal. Owusu, from what I've seen is a tough, monster competitor. She has a smooth athleticism to her game that belies her looks. I look forward to these two locking horns in the future.

I've already stated what I think Piage's freshman year will be like: Tough with a lot of ups and downs. She may start a few games and then see some tutorials from the great Dr. Bench. Unlike some (or many) here on the BY I don't see her in the starting lineup against UConn's first opponents. I don't see her starting at all in November or December. After Christmas break then we'll see. But looking at the size of UConn in the back court next year she's going to take a pounding in practice and a pounding on the court. When she hits the floor every opposing guard is going to want a piece of Ms. Magazine cover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger