Transfer thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're officially guilty of thread drift at this point, but briefly:

Where is it written that every conference has to be classified as either "power five" or "mid-major"?

The term "mid-major" has no official meaning or definition. It's just one of those arbitrary labels propagated for convenience (or for PR purposes) by the media. With that caveat, the Big East and AAC are generally not classified as "mid-majors" by sports media outlets. There's a long and tedious history behind it all, but that's the takeaway.

Yes, I don't think I've ever seen the Big East or AAC called a mid-major, and they certainly shouldn't be. Their expenditures for basketball are multiples of a true mid-major.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Big East is more than a mid-major, true. But not Power 5. It is true that these are arbitrary categories, but - from a sheer financial point of view (at least pre-current events) - the playing fields are different for the schools so-called Power 5 and the schools not.

Mid-major is a sneaky term, how do you qualify "mid-major" from not even that notable? The WAC isn't the Big West which isn't the WCC. Which isn't the Mountain West. In the east, how could you compare the MAAC or MEAC with the A10 or CAA?

The American is a whole different thing. It is one of the "Group of Five" football conferences. But without UConn, if you want to say it isn't a mid-major, that's fine - but how many teams do you anticipate them getting in the tourney (men's, women's).

Reaction Score
The Big East is more than a mid-major, true. But not Power 5. It is true that these are arbitrary categories, but - from a sheer financial point of view (at least pre-current events) - the playing fields are different for the schools so-called Power 5 and the schools not.

Mid-major is a sneaky term, how do you qualify "mid-major" from not even that notable? The WAC isn't the Big West which isn't the WCC. Which isn't the Mountain West. In the east, how could you compare the MAAC or MEAC with the A10 or CAA?

The American is a whole different thing. It is one of the "Group of Five" football conferences. But without UConn, if you want to say it isn't a mid-major, that's fine - but how many teams do you anticipate them getting in the tourney (men's, women's).
"Mid major" may be arbitrary, but "Power 5" isn't. SEC, B1G, Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC are the 5 conferences who threatened to leave the NCAA if they didn't get their way (control their own football revenue rather than have it administered through the NCAA). They make up half of the 10 "FBS" conferences (Football Bowl Subdivision). The other 5 FBS conferences are the "Group of Five", which includes the Mountain West. FBS also includes a few independents like ND & Army.

This is all about football and only football. Mid major, high major, etc., are most often used for men's basketball, are not so clearly defined, and can overlap with P5 and G5 football schools. But being a P5 football school is hugely impactful on the revenue available to support basketball, especially women's basketball.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

hey now
33.gif

Reaction Score
For those who don’t follow the general board, Shakira Austin signed w/ Ole Miss.

Reaction Score
I guess Yolette was the only one who promised Austin that she’d be a guard
In Coach Yo’s defense she is taking the chances she needs to take to get players. She also signed top twenty player Madison Scott who none of the top programs would touch due to her attitude.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was just literally about to ask. WTH???!!
Some feel it's better to be a big fish in a small pond. I don't know how this helps her advance her game, beyond playing point forward on a mediocre team. The team was 7-23 last year. How does averaging 16 points on a 10-20 team help her draft status?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some feel it's better to be a big fish in a small pond. I don't know how this helps her advance her game, beyond playing point forward on a mediocre team. The team was 7-23 last year. How does averaging 16 points on a 10-20 team help her draft status?
Mediocre is a pretty generous descriptor. Ole Miss was probably the first "power conference" team to ever finish outside the top 300 of the RPI.

Reaction Score
Austin headed to basketball obscurity. We won’t hear much from or about her until 2 or 3 years from now in the second round of the draft. JMO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In Coach Yo’s defense she is taking the chances she needs to take to get players. She also signed top twenty player Madison Scott who none of the top programs would touch due to her attitude.
Madison and Shakira are both from the same general area and probably know each other.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

but a big fish in a desert. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mediocre is a pretty generous descriptor. Ole Miss was probably the first "power conference" team to ever finish outside the top 300 of the RPI.
Austin is almost good enough to make them mediocre. That is, if everything falls perfectly into place.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Austin headed to basketball obscurity. We won’t hear much from or about her until 2 or 3 years from now in the second round of the draft. JMO

If she has to sit out a year after transferring, she can grad transfer her last year back to a contender.

Reaction Score

A page right out of CViv's playbook? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So it looks like we are getting zero out of this transfer group unless someone new gets in. So much for Geno telling Rebecca that they were talking to some kids and we should know in a couple weeks..... Looks like the talking didn't go well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of hate about Austin going to Ole Miss
I don’t know that it’s hate. But there certainly is a good amount of incredulity when one of the top players in her class transfers from an elite program like MD, where she had been successful to one of the worst D1 programs in the country in a place where she has no geographic connection.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's as if she knew . . . :p

For those that care to look at Austin’s twitter page, there is a lengthy number of posts that are confrontational in their nature, touching on issues such as the hypocrisy of the NCAA, nondescript problems at MD and the racial makeup of coaches in the SEC vs other conferences.

Clearly, this young lady has a lot of issues and is searching for a place where I guess she hopes to feel safe and maybe fly below the radar. I don’t know if that will happen at MS, but for her sake, I hope she finds some level of happiness that eluded her at MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom