• Recee Caldwell, Tex Tech (GS) [#19]
  • Anriel Howard, TAMU (GS) [#100]
  • Chanette Hicks, VaTech (1 yr remaining) [#54]
  • Jordan Hosey, Texas (1) [#16]
  • Amber Ramirez, TCU (2) [#12]
  • Chyna Nixon, Ole Miss (3) [#72]
  • Kierra Collier, Wash (3) [#100+]

Reaction Score
Not sure if Chow is that great a pick up for UCLA. The girl didn’t show well at Baylor. Kind of stiff and limited on D. Hope she gets her game going for them. Baylor was not a good match.

Reaction Score
Notable transferring players that haven't announced a destination yet:
  • Sierra Calhoun, Ohio St (GS) [#16 hoopgurlz rank in HS]
  • Recee Caldwell, Tex Tech (GS) [#19]
  • Anriel Howard, TAMU (GS) [#100]
  • Chanette Hicks, VaTech (1 yr remaining) [#54]
  • Jordan Hosey, Texas (1) [#16]
  • Amber Ramirez, TCU (2) [#12]
  • Chyna Nixon, Ole Miss (3) [#72]
  • Kierra Collier, Wash (3) [#100+]
I hope Recee Caldwell can be productive somewhere. She didn’t pan out at Tech either

Reaction Score
I agree all signs point to us having maybe the best backcourt in Dawns tenure to date. Harris is one of the top 4 pure point guards in the country ( Dangerfield, Ionescu, and Mangakahia would be the other 3) with an elite back up in Henderson. Cuevas-Moore and Cooper will bring a scoring/defensive punch that few teams will have an answer for. Both can and will get to the rim with ease and will be a major pain for coaches to scout against. Jackson and Perry will likely be the best shooters on the squad. Jackson shot 40% from bta last season (best % among SEC freshman) and will only get better with a soph jump and her high IQ, the skies the limit for this kid. Perry prior to her injury and point slippage shot a career best 43.5% from bta in 2015-16 when she averaged 14.3 ppg. She should have plenty of opportunities to reach that mark or shoot better now that she’s surrounded by better players. Cliney is a Senior and will likely be the glue(do it all) player that we need. Last season she struggled at times whether it was shooting or turnovers. She tried to do to much and you could tell it made her uncomfortable. This year she can focus on one role which is defense or rebounding and she could really excel.

Overall I think it will be pretty good team and could be better then last years squad. Call me crazy but even though we lose 22 ppg, 11 rpg, and 3 bpg this teams ceiling is through the roof with the amount of guards we will have. If everyone finds their niche and chemistry comes together a FF berth wouldn’t surprise me one bit! Go Cocks!
I’m very impressed with Harris unless she plays UConn. She looks awful against them. I’m not a Husky or SC fan just objective observer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure if Chow is that great a pick up for UCLA. The girl didn’t show well at Baylor. Kind of stiff and limited on D. Hope she gets her game going for them. Baylor was not a good match.
She's an unproven element, to be sure, but still a good pickup for UCLA, which is in near-desperation mode after all they lost to graduation.

Reaction Score
She's an unproven element, to be sure, but still a good pickup for UCLA, which is in near-desperation mode after all they lost to graduation.
I was going to use that same word for UCLA - desperation. I think you’re right. They need whatever they can get that might pan out.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I actually think Chou is a nice pickup for UCLA. From the beginning I never thought she quite fit in with who Baylor is offensively and defensively.

I can definitely see Chou excelling in the Pac12 though. That league is great for offensively gifted players, and Chou is.. we just haven’t seen it on the college yet.

Reaction Score
I’m very impressed with Harris unless she plays UConn. She looks awful against them. I’m not a Husky or SC fan just objective observer.

What will be good for Ty this year is more ball handlers. Last year she was relied upon to handle the ball because we on had two other guards (Cliney and Jackson). This year she can play off the ball more and make plays from the 2 position instead of the one. I’m expecting an AA type of year from Harris.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I actually think Chou is a nice pickup for UCLA. From the beginning I never thought she quite fit in with who Baylor is offensively and defensively.

I can definitely see Chou excelling in the Pac12 though. That league is great for offensively gifted players, and Chou is.. we just haven’t seen it on the college yet.

If memory holds, there was a degree of interest between UCLA Coach Cari Close and Ms. Chou during her initial recruitment. The linked article just below hints at that:
UCLA Basketball: Baylor transfer Natalie Chou to join the women’s team

Totally agree that Chou looked like a poor fit for what Baylor was showing on the floor.
Who knows where UCLA will head with Canada and Billings gone, but I can see Coach Close hoping he gets some Kari Korver-like contributions from Chou. (The underlying question, of course, is who is going to do for Chou what Jordin Canada did for Korver?)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If memory holds, there was a degree of interest between UCLA Coach Cari Close and Ms. Chou during her initial recruitment. The linked article just below hints at that:
UCLA Basketball: Baylor transfer Natalie Chou to join the women’s team

Totally agree that Chou looked like a poor fit for what Baylor was showing on the floor.
Who knows where UCLA will head with Canada and Billings gone, but I can see Coach Close hoping he gets some Kari Korver-like contributions from Chou. (The underlying question, of course, is who is going to do for Chou what Jordin Canada did for Korver?)
But frankly with Chou's moderate athleticism and foot speed, who's to say she's a better fit for Close's up tempo style? At least at Baylor they play a consistent set up, half court offense and has for years. To me this looks like either a move from desperation or an interesting experiment.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But frankly with Chou's moderate athleticism and foot speed, who's to say she's a better fit for Close's up tempo style? At least at Baylor they play a consistent set up, half court offense and has for years. To me this looks like either a move from desperation or an interesting experiment.

I think Close thinks it can work...please keep in mind (as brought up) Close was recruiting her during Chou's initial collegiate run-through. Also, the motor to the up-tempo sports car is now in Seattle. May work, may not, but I think Coach Close saw something she liked and still does. Many on this board differ...we'll all find out (probably) in Fall 2019.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

My thoughts too. I don't understand why some here think she wasn't a good fit at Baylor. She has a reputation of being a pretty good 3-pt shooter and she passes pretty well. That's the type of player you want spacing the floor for Brown and Cox in a half-court offense. Although she isn't fast or athletic UCLA needs shooters so that's probably why Close is bringing her in.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why some here think she wasn't a good fit at Baylor.

She was hyped a lot on this board during HS so there may have been an expectation that she would be a superstar. And since she hasn’t , the thought may be that she didn’t fit.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Close thinks it can work...please keep in mind (as brought up) Close was recruiting her during Chou's initial collegiate run-through. Also, the motor to the up-tempo sports car is now in Seattle. May work, may not, but I think Coach Close saw something she liked and still does. Many on this board differ...we'll all find out (probably) in Fall 2019.
I agree. Of course Close thinks this can work. When your choices are limited LA thought Dwight Howard would work. Yet, sure. In a conference that plays a lot of pick and roll in the half court maybe she can be a plus if her outside shot falls. if she's a better passer than she's shown and she's precise off the dribble. But many of the teams (and I think the Pac 12 is a better conference than Mulkey's conference) play a fast tempo offense which will put Chou at a disadvantage on defense. Time will tell.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She was hyped a lot on this board during HS so there may have been an expectation that she would be a superstar. And since she hasn’t , the thought may be that she didn’t fit.

I don't recall anyone attaching the superstar label to Chou, but the expectation should have been an eventual starter on a Top 10 team. She was a starter last season for Baylor before injuring her wrist.

Reaction Score
It has been rumored for a few weeks that Recee Caldwell will play her final year at Cal Berkeley. Apparently they are just finalizing admissions academically for the grad program she will be pursuing, but everything is said to look fine for things to work out.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It has been rumored for a few weeks that Recee Caldwell will play her final year at Cal Berkeley. Apparently they are just finalizing admissions academically for the grad program she will be pursuing, but everything is said to look fine for things to work out.

If this works out it will be a great get for Cal and Caldwell. Reece has been injured much of her college career but she is a fantastic player and Cal needs great guards and they are a post/forward/wing dominated team.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised she wouldn't go to USC where her sister is going to be at.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think folks assumed a lot of things about Chou based on being selected for one of the youth national teams, her high recruiting ranking, and maybe even being on the 3x3 team. She was strongly considering Texas before committing to Baylor. I had stated before her decision that I wouldn't be disappointed if Texas was not her choice. I just didn't think she had the overall skills offensively and especially defensively to ever be a starter at Texas; figured she'd only ever be a role or complementary player. Thought the same if she were to choose Baylor.

This past season was her chance to start at Baylor based on the injuries and short roster. Unfortunately, she got injured herself.

Not sure how she'll fit in at UCLA. UCLA has been a team that likes to run an uptempo offense. But, after her redshirt season, maybe UCLA will find a way to utilize her skills. It might be that less talent on Cal's team (compared to UCLA) would have provided her more minutes; we'll find out next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. Of course Close thinks this can work. When your choices are limited LA thought Dwight Howard would work. Yet, sure. In a conference that plays a lot of pick and roll in the half court maybe she can be a plus if her outside shot falls. if she's a better passer than she's shown and she's precise off the dribble. But many of the teams (and I think the Pac 12 is a better conference than Mulkey's conference) play a fast tempo offense which will put Chou at a disadvantage on defense. Time will tell.
Haha - except for Kobe, who wasn't fond of Dwight's work ethic. Kobe called him "Charmin."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The heir apparent to Canada for next season is Japreece Dean, the Texas Tech transfer who made valuable contributions off the bench last season once she became eligible. Speedy, good handles, good engine, and a better outside shooter than Canada.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom