Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Haha - except for Kobe, who wasn't fond of Dwight's work ethic. Kobe called him "Charmin."
And his "I just want to be liked" personality was just antithetical to someone nicknamed "The Black Mamba". Kobe didn't even try to relate to his teammates until his final two years in the league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing how well Dean played for UCLA last year. She was a nice complement to Canada and what a clutch outside shot. I was surprised when I found out she came from Tex Tech. Big loss for Tech for sure. That program is in tough shape.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The heir apparent to Canada for next season is Japreece Dean, the Texas Tech transfer who made valuable contributions off the bench last season once she became eligible. Speedy, good handles, good engine, and a better outside shooter than Canada.

Amazing how well Dean played for UCLA last year. She was a nice complement to Canada and what a clutch outside shot. I was surprised when I found out she came from Tex Tech. Big loss for Tech for sure. That program is in tough shape.

Thanks for the insights, both of you. Look forward to seeing her in the driver's seat. How many years of eligibility does Ms. Dean have left?One, two? In any case, looks like she and Ms. Chou -- the State of Texas transfers to the Golden State -- will probably have one year together.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for the insights, both of you. Look forward to seeing her in the driver's seat. How many years of eligibility does Ms. Dean have left?One, two? In any case, looks like she and Ms. Chou -- the State of Texas transfers to the Golden State -- will probably have one year together.
Oh yeah, forgot about the transfer year. Dean will be a senior next season. So yeah, UCLA will be in sore need of a competent point guard after next season.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, forgot about the transfer year. Dean will be a senior next season. So yeah, UCLA will be in sore need of a competent point guard after next season.

They have a commitment from Alannah Smith ESPN #31 overall and 9th ranked point guard out of Mallard Creek high in Charlotte. Ive seen enough of her to know that she will be a great replacement for Dean.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Former UConn player of interest Desiree Elmore leaving Syracuse:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Notable transferring players that haven't announced a destination yet:
  • Sierra Calhoun, Ohio St (GS) [#16 hoopgurlz rank in HS]
I going to take much grief for saying this and it will never happen in a million years considering the history but,... of all the transfers, especially those that are immediately eligible to play Sierra Calhoun would make an excellent addition to this year's UCONN roster. It is a win win for both sides. UCONN has minutes available at 2/3 instead of having to rely on a freshmen or unproven sophomores. In one year at UCONN Calhoun can become more pro ready that in her combined 4 years at the Ohio State & Duke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I going to take much grief for saying this and it will never happen in a million years considering the history but,... of all the transfers, especially those that are immediately eligible to play Sierra Calhoun would make an excellent addition to this year's UCONN roster. It is a win win for both sides. UCONN has minutes available at 2/3 instead of having to rely on a freshmen or in proven sophomores. In one year at UCONN Calhoun can become more pro ready that in her combined 4 years at the Ohio State & Duke.

I guess the great coaching she got at The Ohio State has prepared her for a short career at UConn.

Reaction Score
I going to take much grief for saying this and it will never happen in a million years considering the history but,... of all the transfers, especially those that are immediately eligible to play Sierra Calhoun would make an excellent addition to this year's UCONN roster. It is a win win for both sides. UCONN has minutes available at 2/3 instead of having to rely on a freshmen or in proven sophomores. In one year at UCONN Calhoun can become more pro ready that in her combined 4 years at the Ohio State & Duke.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.........I'm sure UConn could use her as a stop gap player and she would also benefit from Geno's coaching...........makes way to much sense.............that's why it won't happen........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the thought of adding a veteran player to the roster is always appealing, this one doesn't work for many reasons. Calhoun played for a team that played questionable defense. She shot less than 40% from the floor with an A/TO ratio right around 1. Beyond that, she would have to learn UConn's system on the fly, and every minute that Calhoun played would be a minute that MW, CW, Mikayla and/or Lexi sat on the bench. If Calhoun doesn't work out, or even if she does, you've sent the wrong message to players who you recruited who will be at UConn for another 3-4 seasons.

If MW had not worked her butt off this summer or Mikayla had not received a clean bill of health, maybe you take a chance on a one and done player. It appears that Geno didn't go strong after Anriel Howard or Danni Williams, both of whom would have been better additions to the roster than Calhoun imo. I just can't see bringing in a marginal player for one year, when you have several players who will be as good or better this season or next, subject to PT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While the thought of adding a veteran player to the roster is always appealing, this one doesn't work for many reasons. Calhoun played for a team that played questionable defense. She shot less than 40% from the floor with an A/TO ratio right around 1. Beyond that, she would have to learn UConn's system on the fly, and every minute that Calhoun played would be a minute that MW, CW, Mikayla and/or Lexi sat on the bench. If Calhoun doesn't work out, or even if she does, you've sent the wrong message to players who you recruited who will be at UConn for another 3-4 seasons.

If MW had not worked her butt off this summer or Mikayla had not received a clean bill of health, maybe you take a chance on a one and done player. It appears that Geno didn't go strong after Anriel Howard or Danni Williams, both of whom would have been better additions to the roster than Calhoun imo. I just can't see bringing in a marginal player for one year, when you have several players who will be as good or better this season or next, subject to PT.
Strongly disagree with the "wrong message" part of that equation. Danni Williams (a very comparable player to Calhoun) & also a transfer visited UCONN before deciding to go elsewhere. If the wrong message was being sent UCONN would never get anywhere in recruiting because every time a recruit stepped on campus we would be worried about the "development" of some existing players. Early in the season Geno stated that we need additional contributions from the guards, Danni Williams could have provided it, Christyn Williams could provide it or Calhoun can or members of the existing team can step up and provide it.
Glad that MW is working her butt off, but isn't that what they are all supposed to be doing?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Strongly disagree with the "wrong message" part of that equation. Danni Williams (a very comparable player to Calhoun) & also a transfer visited UCONN before deciding to go elsewhere. If the wrong message was being sent UCONN would never get anywhere in recruiting because every time a recruit stepped on campus we would be worried about the "development" of some existing players. Early in the season Geno stated that we need additional contributions from the guards, Danni Williams could have provided it, Christyn Williams could provide it or Calhoun can or members of the existing team can step up and provide it.
Glad that MW is working her butt off, but isn't that what they are all supposed to be doing?
Obviously, we don't know all the details of Williams' visit to UConn and whether or not she got an offer. All that I do know is that she appeared to tagalong with Howard, as they were supposedly hoping to present some type of package deal. Quite a difference between Williams and Calhoun. Williams is a much better defensive player, better shooter and dished out almost twice as many assists as Calhoun. Even at that, I'm not in favor of "one and dones" unless their is a critical need.

Howard is the only player that made any sense to me as a one year plug & play option because of her ability to rebound the basketball. I'd much rather take my chances with MW, CW & Mikayla then role the dice on either Calhoun or Williams.

And yes, everyone is supposed to be working hard. I guess my comment on MW was as much an "I told you so" to a number of BY'ers who felt that after her freshmen season, MW would leave Storrs never to be seen again.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Obviously, we don't know all the details of Williams' visit to UConn and whether or not she got an offer. All that I do know is that she appeared to tagalong with Howard, as they were supposedly hoping to present some type of package deal. Quite a difference between Williams and Calhoun. Williams is a much better defensive player, better shooter and dished out almost twice as many assists as Calhoun. Even at that, I'm not in favor of "one and dones" unless their is a critical need.

Howard is the only player that made any sense to me as a one year plug & play option because of her ability to rebound the basketball. I'd much rather take my chances with MW, CW & Mikayla then role the dice on either Calhoun or Williams.

And yes, everyone is supposed to be working hard. I guess my comment on MW was as much an "I told you so" to a number of BY'ers who felt that after her freshmen season, MW would leave Storrs never to be seen again.
I am holding out a slight bit of hope that if things don't work out for Anriel Howard with Miss. State or South Carolina, that Texas could be her landing spot. We didn't have an open 'ship for her until just last week. With Danni Williams signing with Texas, perhaps that is something for Howard to take into account. Plus, Texas has now lost 3 power forwards in the offseason (Rellah Boothe, Khaleann Caron-Goudreau, and Jordan Hosey). So, she'd be competing with Joyner Holmes and Charli Collier for minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am holding out a slight bit of hope that if things don't work out for Anriel Howard with Miss. State or South Carolina, that Texas could be her landing spot. We didn't have an open 'ship for her until just last week. With Danni Williams signing with Texas, perhaps that is something for Howard to take into account. Plus, Texas has now lost 3 power forwards in the offseason (Rellah Boothe, Khaleann Caron-Goudreau, and Jordan Hosey). So, she'd be competing with Joyner Holmes and Charli Collier for minutes.
Boothe & Goudreau were not necessarily surprises, or major losses imo, but losing Hosey hurts. Once Howard finishes her summer classes and presumably earns her degree at A&M, it will be interesting to see where she ends up.

Just to stir the pot a little, I will point out that she hasn’t ruled out anyone, including UConn. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again I disagree with almost all aspects of this. First I don't think it fair to characterize Williams' visit to UCONN as any part of a "package" deal because UCONN was the only place where both players visited together and Danni has already committed to a school and Howard is still TBD.
Williams is not a much better defensive player, the numbers do not bear that out. Williams 3.1 RPG and 34 steals 2 blocks: Calhoun 3.8 RPG and 32 steals, 17 Blocks.
Williams is also not the better shooter if you equalize for the percentage of 3Pt attempts. Williams: 41% FG :84% FT 39% 3PT FGA. Calhoun: 37% FG :83% FT 36% 3PT FGA. However! 57% (215 of 377) of Calhoun's shot attempts were from distance as compared to 41% (184 of 441) for Danni.
Danni did dish out twice as many assists as Sierra (84 to 45) but she also had nearly twice as many turnovers (71 to 41). The assist to turnover ratio for both players is comparable 1.18 (Danni) to 1.10 (Sierra).
As I have said, these are very very comparable players. I also don't know if Danni was offered by UCONN- likely not. If we were to put the history aside ( I realize we can't) and look just as the numbers; UCONN has looked at bringing on a player like Danni Williams, what would prevent UCONN from looking at bringing on a comparable player like Calhoun? I have never know UCONN to have a "critical need" and hopefully it never will. A "need"- more guard contribution-was what prompted Danni to visit UCONN. MW however improved is a Forward and CW was already committed to UCONN. How has that UCONN "need" for more guard contribution been filled?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again I disagree with almost all aspects of this. First I don't think it fair to characterize Williams' visit to UCONN as any part of a "package" deal because UCONN was the only place where both players visited together and Danni has already committed to a school and Howard is still TBD.
Williams is not a much better defensive player, the numbers do not bear that out. Williams 3.1 RPG and 34 steals 2 blocks: Calhoun 3.8 RPG and 32 steals, 17 Blocks.
Williams is also not the better shooter if you equalize for the percentage of 3Pt attempts. Williams: 41% FG :84% FT 39% 3PT FGA. Calhoun: 37% FG :83% FT 36% 3PT FGA. However! 57% (215 of 377) of Calhoun's shot attempts were from distance as compared to 41% (184 of 441) for Danni.
Danni did dish out twice as many assists as Sierra (84 to 45) but she also had nearly twice as many turnovers (71 to 41). The assist to turnover ratio for both players is comparable 1.18 (Danni) to 1.10 (Sierra).
As I have said, these are very very comparable players. I also don't know if Danni was offered by UCONN- likely not. If we were to put the history aside ( I realize we can't) and look just as the numbers; UCONN has looked at bringing on a player like Danni Williams, what would prevent UCONN from looking at bringing on a comparable player like Calhoun? I have never know UCONN to have a "critical need" and hopefully it never will. A "need"- more guard contribution-was what prompted Danni to visit UCONN. MW however improved is a Forward and CW was already committed to UCONN. How has that UCONN "need" for more guard contribution been filled?
We’ll just have to disagree on who the better player is. But you are missing my primary point. Neither Williams or Calhoun fill a critical need at UConn. Their primary roles at A&M & tOSU were catch and shoot 2 guards to spread the floor for Carter & Mitchell respectively.

If they don’t fill a critical role, Geno doesn’t need them for 1 year. UConn has a number of shooters who can light it up from the arc. As I said earlier, I’d take Howard for one year based on her ability to rebound as I see a real need in that area for the Huskies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We’ll just have to disagree on who the better player is. But you are missing my primary point. Neither Williams or Calhoun fill a critical need at UConn. Their primary roles at A&M & tOSU were catch and shoot 2 guards to spread the floor for Carter & Mitchell respectively.
If they don’t fill a critical role, Geno doesn’t need them for 1 year. UConn has a number of shooters who can light it up from the arc. As I said earlier, I’d take Howard for one year based on her ability to rebound as I see a real need in that area for the Huskies.
Never said who was the better player, the word I used was comparable. Geno is a very busy man, no UCONN need would mean no Williams visit. The roles that Williams or Calhoun played at tOSU and Texas A&M will be far different that the roles they would play at UCONN. Jessica Shepard played a far different role at ND than she did at Nebraska and parlayed that into a Championship. Dawn Staley got Kaela Davis to play brilliant stretches of defense & enough to win another championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Never said who was the better player, the word I used was comparable. Geno is a very busy man, no UCONN need would mean no Williams visit. The roles that Williams or Calhoun played at tOSU and Texas A&M will be far different that the roles they would play at UCONN.
C’mon Cocoa. The season was over. Geno had a skip a tee time at the Club on Saturday to spend a couple hrs meeting with 2 young ladies who were doing some window shopping for a new team. The same thing he does with countless HS players who he never offers.

As for their roles at UConn, Williams & Calhoun were solid role players at their respective schools. Nothing more. Nothing less. They both played in “single player dominant” programs. They would have to make extraordinary transformations in a matter of a few short months to be contributors at UConn for no more than a single season. IMO, it’s not worth the time and effort to attempt to integrate Williams or Calhoun into UConn’s program when the payoff is questionable and there is very real potential to restrict the development of other players who will be with UConn for the long term.

Reaction Score

not sure I agree on how many UConn shooters can light it up from outside.............KLS obviously but she's coming off surgery and will clearly be the defensive focus of every team UConn plays this year...............CD is a streaky outside shooter who also missed multiple games due to shin splints last year and will be asked to play even more minutes next season.............MW is not the strongest three point shooter which leaves CW who clearly has the ability to light it up but is an incoming freshman so she can't be fully counted on yet...........Coombs is more of a fast break scorer so unless Collier and ONO show that they can be consistent from outside I think it's fair to say that UConn could always use a bit of additional experienced help in that area

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
not sure I agree on how many UConn shooters can light it up from outside...KLS obviously but she's coming off surgery and will clearly be the defensive focus of every team UConn plays this year.....CD is a streaky outside shooter who also missed multiple games due to shin splints last year and will be asked to play even more minutes next season...MW is not the strongest three point shooter which leaves CW who clearly has the ability to light it up but is an incoming freshman so she can't be fully counted on yet......Coombs is more of a fast break scorer so unless Collier and ONO show that they can be consistent from outside I think it's fair to say that UConn could always use a bit of additional experienced help in that area
Personally, I’ll play the cards in my hand before I go after a “one & done” that came out of programs respectively where one player dominated the ball on offense and it’s questionable whether either player could learn fast enough to become a contributor at UConn.

Reaction Score
With all due respect .Let me stop you guys write there if any of you guys think Calhoun played a role player at Duke or Ohio State I,m not even going say y'all don' t know basketball. I'm just going say somebody wasn't watching the games. If you where you would've seen how the big ten conference was guarding Calhoun and Mitchell they was in a triangle and two against Mitchell and Calhoun in many games. And if any of you would've been privi to see the opponents scouting report you better bet your last dollar Calhoun was on it. Role players are not on scouting reports or being guarded in a triangle and two. Let me get that out there real quick !!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With all due respect .Let me stop you guys write there if any of you guys think Calhoun played a role player at Duke or Ohio State I,m not even going say y'all don' t know basketball. I'm just going say somebody wasn't watching the games. If you where you would've seen how the big ten conference was guarding Calhoun and Mitchell they was in a triangle and two against Mitchell and Calhoun in many games. And if any of you would've been privi to see the opponents scouting report you better bet your last dollar Calhoun was on it. Role players are not on scouting reports or being guarded in a triangle and two. Let me get that out there real quick !!

A triangle and two against Calhoun? Not that I ever saw and why would they? For Sierra Calhoun? I've watched a ton of OSU games and never seen a focus on her. Not even against Mitchell in a majority of games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom