Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score
To which services are you referring?

Victaria Saxton rankings:

25th in Prospects Nation
38th in Blue Star
39th in All Star Girls Report
47th in Hoopgurlz

A couple of months ago she was rated 23 and 27 respectively by Blue Star and ASGR. The rankings must have change since then. Hoopgurlz didn’t even have her rated last summer until her eybl squad won the Nike nationals. Either way she’s vastly underrated, as I’ve seen her go up against both Collier and Prince and out perform both as well as Shakira Austin and Aquira DeCosta.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
OK she was an elite college, pro and Olympic player, coached last year's NC team, had this year's overall #1 WNBA draft choice, and she's senior national team coach. What more possible advantage could she have? :cool:

Besides her own playing career, most of the accomplishments you listed have occurred within the last year or so.

The schools I’ve listed have been good for way longer than a year, or 5, or 10... SC is not a traditional power yet. In WBB, the elite kids still trend to the powers. Dawn will get hers or enough of what she needs to put a competitive team on the floor, but anybody expecting her to suddenly light it up in recruiting is naive. Now, I do believe that day will come where Dawn will become the favorite in recruiting more often than not, but she’s not there yet.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
@sivad40 , I am going to address your arguments point by point, though I am not sure when I turned into Griner's biggest defender/champion on this board (especially given the number of pBaylor fans who are prominent posters here)! :)

IMO, Griner should be a better rebounder than she currently is.

A few additional facts about Griner, to address the rebounding argument:

• In five seasons, she ranks eighth on WNBA’s all-time blocks list (487), second among active players behind ten-year pro Sylvia Fowles (532) entering 2018
  • She holds the WNBA records for blocks in a single game (11), blocks in a season (129), single-season block average (4.04) and career block average (3.31)

Griner is blocking 3.3 shots per game, for her career. She is blocking shots at a pace that is UNPARALLELED in WNBA history. Should she also be getting the rebounds of the shots that she blocks? Now, could she be more aggressive on the glass? Yes. But simply saying she should be a better rebounder by looking at numbers without considering what she does with blocked shots (not to mention the countless shots that are altered or even not taken because of her mere presence) is unfair to the player and doses a disservice to her accomplishments.

Griner was either content or had no choice but to be the third/fourth option on offense during her first four seasons in the WNBA.

This not quite accurate.

• In 2014 - Griner's second year in the WNBA - she ranked 10th in the entire WNBA in scoring (and second on her team, only 0.6 ppg behind Diana Taurasi).
  • In 2015, Griner ranked 8th in the WNBA in scoring (and second on her team, 0.7 ppg behind DeWanna Bonner).
  • In 2016, she slipped to 13th in the WNBA in scoring, but was still second on the Mercury in ppg (behind Taurasi).

Griner was not content to be the 3rd or 4th option; she was a primary/go-to player in the post and often times "Option 1B" (to Diana Taurasi's "Option 1A").

She finally step her offensive game this past season with Bonner and Dupree no longer there and Taurasi declining in production.

This is not quite accurate (the part about "finally" stepping up her offensive game), as set forth in my previous comment. When she was in the top ten in the entire WNBA in scoring in just her second season (not to mention her third season), I am not sure what you mean when you imply that she had not "step[ped] up" on the offensive end of the floor.

Can she step up more? Certainly - and she did that in 2017, as you noted. But she has been a top player on the offensive end of the floor for some time now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Recent WNBA draftee Loryn Goodwin from Oklahoma State went to 4 schools. Started North Texas with Karen Aston, then Aston left for UT before she suited up, but was Sun Belt Freshmen of the Year. Then transferred to Butler, but that coaching staff was let go after some claims of verbal abuse arose before she suited up. She said the new coaching staff played a style of offense that didn't mesh with her skillset, so she then transferred to UT-San Antonio, where she became Conference USA Newcomer of the Year, and applied for an extra year of eligibility and was granted it but UTSA did not have her chosen masters major after graduating so she transferred to Oklahoma State, where she won Big-12 Newcomer of the Year and was 1st Team all Big-12.

That's the most prominent and recent four school player I could think of.
Freshman of the Year once and Newcomer of the Year twice. Is that good or bad? ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Back from Russia, Griner sets sight on title, MVP

"Statistically, last year was Griner's best."

Also from the article:
She became the first true center to lead the WNBA in scoring with a career-high 21.9 points per game, shooting 57 percent from the field.

Not Lisa Leslie. Not Yolanda Griffith. Not Sylvia Fowles.
Brittney Griner did this.

On another note (compared to her peers who are prolific scorers), Griner's 21.9 ppg last year was a better average for a season than Candace Parker (10 seasons played), Tina Charles (8 seasons played), and Angel McCoughtry (8 seasons played; sat out last year) have ever had.

Reaction Score
Also from the article:
She became the first true center to lead the WNBA in scoring with a career-high 21.9 points per game, shooting 57 percent from the field.

On another note (compared to her peers who are prolific scorers), Griner's 21.9 ppg last year was a better average for a season than Candace Parker (10 seasons played), Tina Charles (8 seasons played), and Angel McCoughtry (8 seasons played; sat out last year) have ever had.

OK...........to sum this up Griner is sometimes good............... sometimes great...........could be even better............thank you..........

Reaction Score
Also from the article:

Where the heck is ETT? He would LOVE your take on BG!!

Wait - Maybe your scarce BY posting during ETT's "prolific" era... (Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm...") ??

Reaction Score
Where the heck is ETT? He would LOVE your take on BG!!

Wait - Maybe your scarce BY posting during ETT's "prolific" era... (Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm...") ??
I apologize for asking, but I never read anything on here about it. What happened to ETT?

Reaction Score
I apologize for asking, but I never read anything on here about it. What happened to ETT?
?? His profile says he was last seen Feb 16. I kinda miss him, but Cam is trying to take up the slack on Griner love :cool:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A few additional facts about Griner, to address the rebounding argument:
  • In five seasons, she ranks eighth on WNBA’s all-time blocks list (487), second among active players behind ten-year pro Sylvia Fowles (532) entering 2018
  • She holds the WNBA records for blocks in a single game (11), blocks in a season (129), single-season block average (4.04) and career block average (3.31)
Griner is blocking 3.3 shots per game, for her career. She is blocking shots at a pace that is UNPARALLELED in WNBA history. Should she also be getting the rebounds of the shots that she blocks?

Also from the article:

And I still think she should be better at rebounding. I stand by that.

And again, I ask -- should she be leading the entire league in scoring (at an average unprecedented for a center) AND blocking shots at such a prolific rate AND still getting all of those rebounds?

Should she also serve the popcorn and other concessions, during the timeouts? :)

Do we want anyone else on the court to do anything?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't understand why when I see new transfer posts I get all excited, then there are 20+ new posts about Griner.... who definitely isn't transferring to Storrs..... sad.
I am still waiting to read where Griner is transferring to (I am guessing it's the Golden Domers because, well, they are Notre Dame) and whether or not she have to sit out a year. Or maybe she's a graduate transfer.

Reaction Score
I am still waiting to read where Griner is transferring to (I am guessing it's the Golden Domers because, well, they are Notre Dame) and whether or not she have to sit out a year. Or maybe she's a graduate transfer.

yes................I read that she wants to study Irish dancing just so she can play for ND one season.............

Reaction Score
6'5 Promise Taylor (Fr) of Ole Miss transferring down the road to Miss St. Has to sit out a year.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
6'5 Promise Taylor (Fr) of Ole Miss transferring down the road to Miss St. Has to sit out a year.

Huh? & Wow?

Doesnt Mississippi State have to ranked 6-5 post players coming in as freshman next year? Logjams??

Reaction Score
Huh? & Wow?

Doesnt Mississippi State have to ranked 6-5 post players coming in as freshman next year? Logjams??

They have 6'3 and 6'4 players coming in. 6'3 is small to be a post. If she has any pro aspirations, she'd want to be learning how to be a forward anyway.

Reaction Score
They have 6'3 and 6'4 players coming in. 6'3 is small to be a post. If she has any pro aspirations, she'd want to be learning how to be a forward anyway.

Both Carter and White are considered post in the way that they play. Carter has been listed at various heights but consensus say she’s 6’4”. Vic says she has a great face up game but I don’t see it. Both she and White are back to the basket lane clogging posts. Taylor doesn’t have a face up either. I’m thinking in the 2019-20 season Miss St will be lob city to the posts.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Great get for Vic. Should help big time whent they losing McCowan after this year. As other posters have mentioned, they have a lot of big bodies on the roster but I think Taylor has a higher ceiling so she’ll take over when’s Teaira leaves.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Taylor Rooks is doing a graduate year at Michigan. According to the Michigan release, Rooks, a 6-foot guard, spent the last three seasons at Harvard after her freshman season at Stanford. As a senior this past winter, Rooks earned second-team All-Ivy honors after averaging 12.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in 29.5 minutes per game." She seems to have found her footing this year, with a number of double-doubles and 20-pt. outings. She had been a highly rated recruit out of NJ's Gill St. Bernard's a few years back and things didn't work out for her at Stanford.

Coach Kim Barnes Arrico -- who had recruited her initially -- could be looking at Rooks as part of a stop-gap solution between the graduation of Katelyn Flaherty and incoming Michelle Sidor in 2019. Interesting that all three are Jersey girls, but Arico spent a lot of time in NJ, even living there when she was coaching St. John's. Probably was familiar with all three before she left to take the coaching job in Ann Arbor.

Interestingly, Sidor's final two choices came down to Harvard and Michigan, ultimately choosing the latter.

Wolverines Add Rooks as Graduate Transfer for 2018-19 - University of Michigan

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Great get for Vic. Should help big time whent they losing McCowan after this year. As other posters have mentioned, they have a lot of big bodies on the roster but I think Taylor has a higher ceiling so she’ll take over when’s Teaira leaves.

A couple of articles on this transfer:

Does a good job of summarizing various options:

Mississippi State women's basketball adds Ole Miss transfer Promise Taylor

Inside "Why MSU?"

Promise Taylor, a member of the 2018 All-SEC Women's Basketball Freshman Team, is transferring from Ole Miss to Mississippi State

P.S. Interestingly, she cites the coaching change at Ole Miss as the major reason for her leaving the Rebels. The board has discussed one possible change to current transfer rules as being if a coach -- who was the primary reason for attending that school -- leaves the institution. This might've fit the bill if it had been passed.....
as it is, makes sense for MSU to have her wait until McCowan leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple of articles on this transfer:

Does a good job of summarizing various options:

Mississippi State women's basketball adds Ole Miss transfer Promise Taylor

Inside "Why MSU?"

Promise Taylor, a member of the 2018 All-SEC Women's Basketball Freshman Team, is transferring from Ole Miss to Mississippi State

Interestingly, she cites the coaching change at Ole Miss as the major reason for her leaving the Rebels. The board has discussed one possible change to current transfer rules as being if a coach -- who was the primary reason for attending that school -- leaves the institution. This might've fit the bill.....

not happening..............no green in that Miss State uniform...............:D........sorry Dillon couldn't help myself.............

Dillon77

Reaction Score
not happening....no green in that Miss State uniform.....:D...sorry Dillon couldn't help myself...

Ha, I guess I walked into that one!:rolleyes: (Will have to edit a bit.) The 247 article goes on about she bonded with the Ole Miss coach and was crushed when he moved on. And how she's bonded with seemingly everyone at MSU (and the state of Mississippi).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom