Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score
"sinking"? I would kindly edit and say "sunk"! :cool:

I had them moving to mid/below-mid B10. They could now be sinking to near the bottom.

And I just liked that quote, by Michael Ray Richardson.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If she's a graduate, does she even need a release? I thought that was an automatic get-out-free situation.
I believe (until she actually graduates) she needs a release to be in contact with other programs.

A&M had to grant releases to Howard and Williams, too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she's a graduate, does she even need a release? I thought that was an automatic get-out-free situation.
I believe (until she actually graduates) she needs a release to be in contact with other programs.
A&M had to grant releases to Howard and Williams, too.
She needs a release until she is awarded an undergraduate diploma.

Reaction Score
How good was she while at OSU?

Meh. Very streaky and a questionable defender (due to McGuff of course). But she has experience and that's got to count for something so I think a team in need takes her.

Reaction Score
Another guard leaving SC:

Victoria Patrick (SO) to North Florida

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Meh. Very streaky and a questionable defender (due to McGuff of course). But she has experience and that's got to count for something so I think a team in need takes her.
I think million $ question is "what kind of team"? I have to imagine she wants to go to a school that either has a good shot at a NC, or where she can get lots of PT.

I'm not sure a school like ND, UCONN, Baylor, L'ville (altho they take anyone), Texas, etc. would have a need or be interested. Maybe she goes the Nat Butler route and heads to a more mid-major type of school where she can be a starter and big contributor.

Or maybe she goes somewhere in the middle - a school in the 10-20 range rankings-wise that could use a player with her experience and skills.

Reaction Score
After dumping most of the squad, NC Central filling up roster with transfers + frosh

Desiree Keeling from Rutgers (has to sit out)
2 transfers who can play right away
5 frosh
also added a transfer from IUP-Ft Wayne who will be eligible in late Dec
+ 4 players who were on the court last year

So for her 2nd year, 9/13 of the players will have been recruited by Stafford-Odom. That's a pretty ruthlessly efficient turnover of the roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For a minute there I thought you were describing Kaela Davis. They are really very similar players both shot 35% from behind the arc. Dawn got Davis to play defense (at times).

Reaction Score
For a minute there I thought you were describing Kaela Davis. They are really very similar players both shot 35% from behind the arc. Dawn got Davis to play defense (at times).

We could argue that Kaela is more explosive though, she can give you 30-40+ games one night and give you 6 the next. Don't know how many times Calhoun actually scored over 30. Kaela is far better defensively. Had Dawn coached her for four entire years she would've been a great two way player.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We could argue that Kaela is more explosive though, she can give you 30-40+ games one night and give you 6 the next. Don't know how many times Calhoun actually scored over 30. Kaela is far better defensively. Had Dawn coached her for four entire years she would've been a great two way player.

From my memory Calhoun has never scored even close to 30. Her season high was 21 against Florida this past season. She has zero interest in defense and rarely gets back on D with effort. I read an article that McGuff referred to Calhoun has the three-point shooter and that's why she was out there. But she was extremely inconsistent shooter and didn't always make the best choice.

Unsurprisingly, there was no real development in her skillset during her time at OhSU. 10.1 pts per game at Duke her freshmen season (38-121 FGM/FGA) to 9.5 pts per game her RS Sophomore Season (108-299 FGM/FGA) and then 11.6 her RS Junior season (140/377 FGM/FGA). and a 3.6 rebound average for her career. Maybe she'll get a good coach at her next school and blossom.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She has zero interest in defense and rarely gets back on D with effort. But she was extremely inconsistent shooter and didn't always make the best choice
While I generally agree with your assessment of Calhoun, in all honesty, your comments could apply to just about every player on tOSU under McGuff.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
While I generally agree with your assessment of Calhoun, in all honesty, your comments could apply to just about every player on tOSU under McGuff.

That's fair. It could be about any of them. But Harper and Doss at least would make up for their bad shots or misses with some pretty tenacious man-to-man defense on the other end. Mitchell showed a bit more spark on defense this year than previous, not enough to really change the game but I saw it in many games this year (I went to every home game). So for Calhoun to stand out in my mind as lackadaisical on defense, should really say something. Ohio State's defense was based around trapping to get steals, she had the least amount of steals of the starting 5. In fact, Linnae Harper had more steals this season (77) than Calhoun in her entire career (67). But I should be fair, Calhoun was Ohio State's second best three-point shooter at .358 so her role as a three point shooter for this team may be correct, but it's not like she was on some team full of sharpshooters (Harper was third with a .321 for the season).

Reaction Score

This was a really great signing by Maryland. They needed another three point shooter to go along with Taylor Mikesell. NC State really shut down Kristen Confroy in the tournament because Maryland didn't have another threat from outside to spread the floor. With Mikesell and Vujacic you now have two that can do this. Really good job by Brenda and her staff.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's fair. It could be about any of them. But Harper and Doss at least would make up for their bad shots or misses with some pretty tenacious man-to-man defense on the other end. Mitchell showed a bit more spark on defense this year than previous, not enough to really change the game but I saw it in many games this year (I went to every home game). So for Calhoun to stand out in my mind as lackadaisical on defense, should really say something. Ohio State's defense was based around trapping to get steals, she had the least amount of steals of the starting 5. In fact, Linnae Harper had more steals this season (77) than Calhoun in her entire career (67). But I should be fair, Calhoun was Ohio State's second best three-point shooter at .358 so her role as a three point shooter for this team may be correct, but it's not like she was on some team full of sharpshooters (Harper was third with a .321 for the season).
I appreciate your input. Admittedly, I only watched tOSU a handful of times this season. Two games that stand out in my mind, where the Buckeyes defense completely collapsed, were the loss on the road at USF and the inexplicable loss at home to CMU in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I appreciate your input. Admittedly, I only watched tOSU a handful of times this season. Two games that stand out in my mind, where the Buckeyes defense completely collapsed, were the loss on the road at USF and the inexplicable loss at home to CMU in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

Not the best showcase of....anything for tOSU in those games. tOSU always struggled with perimeter defense. Laksa was hot from three in that game and McGuff offered zero adjustments to shut her down so she just kept swelling that lead and none of tOSU's shots were falling that game so it looked REALLY bad. The CMU game was baffling to watch, it's the third game I've ever left early, the second being the home game against Michigan this season. CMU wanted it more and only Harper seemed fiery on the defensive end but tOSU plays her in the paint on halfcourt defense so no one was able to stop their three-point scoring. So, from the games you've seen your assessment is 100% correct. Haha but you don't watch Ohio State games for defense. haha

Reaction Score
Ole Miss losing their leading scorer (Muhammad) and also two promising freshmen (Chyna Nixon and Promise Taylor) to transfer. Ole Miss wasn't very good under Insell and this year was truly ugly some games but their new coach will have even less to work with. Ole Miss lost their best player, senior Sandreka Sessoms to an ACL tear about 2 minutes into the new season. She took a redshirt and indicated she would be back but who knows with the coaching change.

It's so weird to think of now but when I was in college during the Van Chancellor Ole Miss days MSU never beat the Lady Rebels. Chancellor led Ole Miss to 4 E8s in the 80s and early 90s before he left for the Comets of the WNBA. Since he left OM made the E8 in 07 led by Armentie Price but hasn't been back to the tournament at all since. I'm sure the success of MSU didn't help the cause in Oxford with the attention given to the Lady Bulldogs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I am surprised no big P5 names have decided/announced their intent to transfer. Last year we had quite a few with Slocum, Boley, Patberg, Middleton and this year the best of the lot so far is Howard and Chloe Jackson. I would have thought others from disappointing programs would be seeking new pastures. I am not encouraging speculation but just an observation given the past trends. Is April 18th still too soon for players/schools to announce departures? Maybe I am suffering post-partum from our season...:oops:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ole Miss losing their leading scorer (Muhammad) and also two promising freshmen (Chyna Nixon and Promise Taylor) to transfer. Ole Miss wasn't very good under Insell and this year was truly ugly some games but their new coach will have even less to work with. Ole Miss lost their best player, senior Sandreka Sessoms to an ACL tear about 2 minutes into the new season. She took a redshirt and indicated she would be back but who knows with the coaching change.

It's so weird to think of now but when I was in college during the Van Chancellor Ole Miss days MSU never beat the Lady Rebels. Chancellor led Ole Miss to 4 E8s in the 80s and early 90s before he left for the Comets of the WNBA. Since he left OM made the E8 in 07 led by Armentie Price but hasn't been back to the tournament at all since. I'm sure the success of MSU didn't help the cause in Oxford with the attention given to the Lady Bulldogs.
Yeah, Ole Miss was a national presence in the late 80's. Now, they can't even find a head coach who makes them average.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I am surprised no big P5 names have decided/announced their intent to transfer. Last year we had quite a few with Slocum, Boley, Patberg, Middleton and this year the best of the lot so far is Howard and Chloe Jackson. I would have thought others from disappointing programs would be seeking new pastures. I am not encouraging speculation but just an observation given the past trends. Is April 18th still too soon for players/schools to announce departures? Maybe I am suffering post-partum from our season...:oops:
Maybe? :eek::D
Agree with your observation went back and checked last year at this time Boley & Slocum and Shepard had all announced they were transferring.
Only explanation might be the anticipation of the new NCAA transfer rules which is expected in June. Probably not smart to get ahead of the rule change.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Agreed. Davis was a much better player than Calhoun is. Better size, range, and overall scoring ability (in addition to defense). She was SC’s best player in the tournament up to the Final Four. Calhoun has skills and is probably smart to leave the sunken ship that’s OSU, but I don’t see her being a high impact transfer unless she goes to a lesser program. I do think she could be a good fit at Mississippi State since they need perimeter scorers, and if she wants to go pro she’ll likely make bigger strides in one year under Vic than she has playing for P or McGuff.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
From my memory Calhoun has never scored even close to 30. Her season high was 21 against Florida this past season. She has zero interest in defense and rarely gets back on D with effort. I read an article that McGuff referred to Calhoun has the three-point shooter and that's why she was out there. But she was extremely inconsistent shooter and didn't always make the best choice.

Unsurprisingly, there was no real development in her skillset during her time at OhSU. 10.1 pts per game at Duke her freshmen season (38-121 FGM/FGA) to 9.5 pts per game her RS Sophomore Season (108-299 FGM/FGA) and then 11.6 her RS Junior season (140/377 FGM/FGA). and a 3.6 rebound average for her career. Maybe she'll get a good coach at her next school and blossom.

Took a trip to the OSU website and found these nuggets that I've either never known or forgotten about during Sierra Calhoun's collegiate journeys:

- She's a Christ the King graduate, coached by Bob Mackey.
- Her brother, Omar, appeared in 125 games and averaged 6.0 ppg as a member of the UConn men’s basketball team from 2013-16.
- She was fourth in scoring average and fourth in minutes played.

Gosh, after one year at Duke and a degree at OSU, where does one go from here? Try to get tutored up in one year for a shot at the WNBA? If so, maybe a trip to Mississippi State makes some sense. Can she go back to the ACC now that her stay at Duke is once removed? If so, FSU lost a lot of scoring and could use a proven guard for a year while this year's frosh class gets up to speed.

Or does she want to transfer a bit closer to home so her family in Brooklyn, so her family could more easily see her play?
Gosh knows Rutgers could use a scoring guard. St. John's and Hofstra are just around the corner. Stay tuned!

Reaction Score
Agree with your observation went back and checked last year at this time Boley & Slocum and Shepard had all announced they were transferring.
Only explanation might be the anticipation of the new NCAA transfer rules which is expected in June. Probably not smart to get ahead of the rule change.

I think they'll be a few interesting ones coming soon

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I was reviewing a couple of postings on the transfer rule yesterday-Raoul and on AL.com which were not clear when the rule change would be effective. AL.com noted something about August 1, 2019 effective date which is applicable for an Atlantic 10 proposal that all graduate transfers scholarships would have to apply for 2 years, unless the degree was earned prior to the start of the 2nd year's fall semester. In effect, any grad transfer scholarships would be for 2 years, not 1 even though the player may only be eligible for 1 year (unless they earned the graduate degree in 1 year). However no mention of the general rule of undergrad transfers might be implemented.

I must say knowing how legislation works in the NCAA, I could see the general transfer rules passing but NOT being implemented this year to allow schools to assess their policy and procedures on how to communicate to all the coaches/programs within their Athletic Departments and how to set up an infrastructure to improve communications with existing and prospective transfer athletes. In effect, the schools and the NCAA may want to assess if the "flood gates" would be opened and how to handle the potential deluge of activity...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom