Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score
Good ole Jeff. Sign everybody you can and let the ones that don't measure up transfer out.

you would think prospective recruits would shy away from Louisville with stats like that but he keeps on bringing in good classes year after year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
you would think prospective recruits would shy away from Louisville with stats like that but he keeps on bringing in good classes year after year
All of these kids are stars in HS, and they all believe they will continue to be stars in college. There is a certain status that comes with signing a NLI with a top 10 program like Louisville, and these kids often receive misguided reinforcement from parents, coaches, friends and teammates.

Finally, Jeff Walz is a tremendous recruiter who obviously has no problem with running a “survival of the fittest” program at Louisville.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Meanwhile Coqueses time in state college would seem to be getting short. She’s got it all - firmer assistant to Muffet, WNBA career, glowing comments from Geno. But has never been able to turn it in to on court success.

(Poster's Note: Please don't pay attention to the ND insignia to your upper-left hand line of vision. The poster will try his best to include Domer subjectivity ;) )

- Regarding "on court success," I might amend that to say "consistent on-court success." While Coach Coquese (Coach C to make this easier from now own) has a winning percentage of some 57% (all at Penn State), the primary years of success came when she's had Maggie Lucus, Alex Bentley or Tyra Grant (her three All-Americans) on the floor. But that's part of the gig, too, isn't it: get great players and have them excel, both collectively and individually.

- What makes that interesting is that Coach C had a reputation for being a recruiting whiz when she came to Peen State from ND
as a first-time head coach. In fact, as Vowelguy said, her pedigree was first-rate: ND double-Domer (law degree); professional hoopster; helped found the player union; eight-year assistant to ND during early glory years (including the 2001 championship); in charge of recruiting. (BTW, does a lot of that (save the law degree) sound like another former Irish guard now coaching?)

- This Irish hoop fan expected success to beget success in the mid-teens, but Coach C seemed to hit a rut after Lucas left Happy Valley. They had a 20-win season in 2016-17, but lost some key senior contributors. Still, all five of their top scorers were scheduled to return until this transfer popped up. And there's a vague Asst. Coach job placement for the team while all three assistants are still listed. Forced coincidence?

- That said, Vowelguy and my "what's been going on lately" thoughts may be onto something. Coach C was signed to a two-year extension by Penn State in 2015 and that extension runs out after the upcoming 2018-19 season. "The extension will keep her directing the Lady Lions through at least the 2018-19 campaign."

Lady Lions' Washington Signs Contract Extension

- So I don't know if the recent record, transfer(s), change in staff are an accumulation of parts or an indication of the totality, but I'm guessing we'll find out soon....stay tuned.
[/QUOTE]
Technically, this probably belongs in the Coaching Carousel Thread but whatever. Yes, the ND insignia blinds all of us :)cool:) and especially you in this situation. Her results at PSU are average at best as the Big 10 during her 11 years there has probably been the worst of the P5 during that time by a lot. She's 93-93 in conference play. She had a great 3 year run before Maryland joined the Big10. I really discount 20 win seasons due the usual cupcakes many of these programs feast upon in November and December (see Sylvia Hatchell). For some reason, the WNIT decided to invite a 16-15 PSU team this year who promptly lost to Radford in the first round. Her last 4 years have not been good.

As noted, some coaches are just great lieutenants under a great captain and need to stay there. Me thinks Coach C is one of these. I also chuckle a bit about not just your comment on assistants who "are great recruiters" to star schools like ND, Tenn or Maryland as I think the schools strong WCBB history sort of sells itself. I mean, I get your love for Ivey but who really knows how she will do until she actually does leave. I would also put UConn in this category that none of Geno or CD's assistants have really shined at their schools. Sure Marisa has had some success but Dawn built that program and left it in pretty good shape.

I honestly think @nwhoopfan nailed it that it is a crapshoot or roll of the dice with the assistants, banking on their pedigree under a great coach and program, which is logical but "misses" occur as often has "hits"

From a true star perspective as a former assistant, I would say only Jeff Walz from the MD staff has achieved high echelon success. McGuff, Mitchell, Elliott, Mosely, have all have moderate success. Just my opinion.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
(Poster's Note: Please don't pay attention to the ND insignia to your upper-left hand line of vision. The poster will try his best to include Domer subjectivity ;) )

- Regarding "on court success," I might amend that to say "consistent on-court success." While Coach Coquese (Coach C to make this easier from now own) has a winning percentage of some 57% (all at Penn State), the primary years of success came when she's had Maggie Lucus, Alex Bentley or Tyra Grant (her three All-Americans) on the floor. But that's part of the gig, too, isn't it: get great players and have them excel, both collectively and individually.

- What makes that interesting is that Coach C had a reputation for being a recruiting whiz when she came to Peen State from ND
as a first-time head coach. In fact, as Vowelguy said, her pedigree was first-rate: ND double-Domer (law degree); professional hoopster; helped found the player union; eight-year assistant to ND during early glory years (including the 2001 championship); in charge of recruiting. (BTW, does a lot of that (save the law degree) sound like another former Irish guard now coaching?)

- This Irish hoop fan expected success to beget success in the mid-teens, but Coach C seemed to hit a rut after Lucas left Happy Valley. They had a 20-win season in 2016-17, but lost some key senior contributors. Still, all five of their top scorers were scheduled to return until this transfer popped up. And there's a vague Asst. Coach job placement for the team while all three assistants are still listed. Forced coincidence?

- That said, Vowelguy and my "what's been going on lately" thoughts may be onto something. Coach C was signed to a two-year extension by Penn State in 2015 and that extension runs out after the upcoming 2018-19 season. "The extension will keep her directing the Lady Lions through at least the 2018-19 campaign."

Lady Lions' Washington Signs Contract Extension

- So I don't know if the recent record, transfer(s), change in staff are an accumulation of parts or an indication of the totality, but I'm guessing we'll find out soon....stay tuned.
Technically, this probably belongs in the Coaching Carousel Thread but whatever. Yes, the ND insignia blinds all of us :)cool:) and especially you in this situation. Her results at PSU are average at best as the Big 10 during her 11 years there has probably been the worst of the P5 during that time by a lot. She's 93-93 in conference play. She had a great 3 year run before Maryland joined the Big10. I really discount 20 win seasons due the usual cupcakes many of these programs feast upon in November and December (see Sylvia Hatchell). For some reason, the WNIT decided to invite a 16-15 PSU team this year who promptly lost to Radford in the first round. Her last 4 years have not been good.

As noted, some coaches are just great lieutenants under a great captain and need to stay there. Me thinks Coach C is one of these. I also chuckle a bit about not just your comment on assistants who "are great recruiters" to star schools like ND, Tenn or Maryland as I think the schools strong WCBB history sort of sells itself. I mean, I get your love for Ivey but who really knows how she will do until she actually does leave. I would also put UConn in this category that none of Geno or CD's assistants have really shined at their schools. Sure Marisa has had some success but Dawn built that program and left it in pretty good shape.

I honestly think @nwhoopfan nailed it that it is a crapshoot or roll of the dice with the assistants, banking on their pedigree under a great coach and program, which is logical but "misses" occur as often has "hits"

From a true star perspective as a former assistant, I would say only Jeff Walz from the MD staff has achieved high echelon success. McGuff, Mitchell, Elliott, Mosely, have all have moderate success. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Dillon Response
- Fair enough on her overall record and I'm certainly not defending her recent years. I'm a bit perplexed by her inability to recruit the level of players she was getting, whether in the Keystone state or from her stomping grounds in southern Michigan. In fact, I think she's on justifiable shaky ground right now.

- I don't think we can put an asterisk next to her B1G record -- *before Maryland came in -- and quasi-hold it against her. As one might say, "...it is what it is." (You could say the same thing about a number of schools in the ACC -- *before ND joined.)

- In regards to schools like ND, Tenn or Maryland selling themselves in terms of recruiting, I'll go "yeah" and "nah" on that one. It might get you in the door and even into the sitting room, but you still have to seal the deal against other such schools. Does it make it (school's brand) somewhat easier? Yes. But you still have to seal the deal. My contrarian point (interestingly enough, against me :rolleyes:) is that Coach McGraw is the one who will ultimately be the "closer" because she's, well, Muffet.

- BTW, I do admire and enjoy the job Niele does for MM in terms of recruiting, coaching and game planning. However, I'm not one who wants to have her jump into the ND HC job down the road. I'm of the belief that you need to be a head coach before taking over a major institution. (Lindsay Whelan is about to test this and then some due to her time commitments, so we'll see).

- To me, the ND-related coaches to keep an eye on are Megan Duffy at Miami of Ohio, who has paid her dues at St. John's, George Washington and Michigan before getting the Redhawk HC position; and, Jonathan Tsipis, who did a cracker-jack job at GW (prior to Jen Rizzotti), aided and abetted by one Megan Duffy.
The closet was bare for him at Wisconsin and he's worked his butt off to ingrain himself to Wisconsin HS coaches and he's just landed his first home-state recruit. Give him two years or so before judging.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

All of these kids are stars in HS, and they all believe they will continue to be stars in college. There is a certain status that comes with signing a NLI with a top 10 program like Louisville, and these kids often receive misguided reinforcement from parents, coaches, friends and teammates.

Finally, Jeff Walz is a tremendous recruiter who obviously has no problem with running a “survival of the fittest” program at Louisville.

Switching from the Coach to the Transfer, because she's a fellow Long Island native.

Sydney Zambrotta, averaged 10 minutes per game and just under 3.5 pts per game for the Cardinals this year. With none of the other guards on the roster graduating and two more coming in next year, this looks like a decision to find a place where she can get minutes.
However, whenever I saw her on the bench, garnering spot minutes at the end of a quarter or assigned to mop-up duty, she always seemed to have a good attitude and was not out of her depth there.

Zambrotta was the overall #56 rated player (18th guard) in 2016 Hoopgurlz and is from North Babylon in Suffolk County. She commuted by train every day to play for Coach Bob Mackey and Christ the King High School, where current prospect Nataljia Marshall now plays. She's diligent.

Besides Louisville, she had also considered Miami (Fla.), Minnesota, Pittsburgh and South Carolina. Transfer rules within the ACC are tough (sit out and lose a year of eligibility), so probably scratch off Miami and Pitt (which is in a state to match that nickname, anyways). Maybe pick up the phone to Lindsay Whalen?

Or see if there's a match closer to Long Island and/or in the Big East, such as Hofstra, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova (bomb away!) or Marquette or DePaul?

Good luck to Syd. And stay tuned....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caron-Goudreau from Texas won't be back

DayAhLwUwAAVnRW.jpg:large

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Caron-Goudreau from Texas won't be back

DayAhLwUwAAVnRW.jpg:large
I believe that was expected. Her knee problems this year basically kept her from playing most of the season, and they would likely have continued to be a problem.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe that was expected. Her knee problems this year basically kept her from playing most of the season, and they would likely have continued to be a problem.
Yes, most figured she'd move on when her twin did even though she had one year remaining of eligibility. Unfortunate that she had so many injuries at both Vanderbilt and Texas.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I have been reviewing this thread and the listing that Raoul has posted (10 days old) showing the 155 transfers at that time with 47 from P5 schools. To me, there have been some good players transferring but no great players yet. I don't know enough about Anriel Howard's but as she didn't make any of the 14 players who were 1st or 2nd team All-SEC, I can only speculate she's good but not great as even coaches who played against her didn't vote her.

So with that as a back drop here is the list from April 5th

Women’s Basketball Transfers: Spring/Summer 2018

I don't see an Erin Boley or Destiny Slocum type transfer year...YET! I do think some top talent has to transfer but that is not the point, my point is -Who are the best players on this list?

It very well may be Chloe Jackson from LSU. Anriel Howard is pretty good and I am unsure on Danni Williams true skills. Thoughts?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
This is what happens when you are dealing with teenagers.
I just love this response as it's really applicable to EVERYTHING they do! To be fair though, while some (many) do "Crazy Ivan's" many also have rationale and it's ok to transfer due to the coaching staff, their own development (either lack of due to themselves or the coaching), team chemistry, academics, coaching changes etc. Why do we hold these students to a higher standard than ourselves? When we don't like a job or a manager, we look for new opportunities vs. staying unhappy, why can't these Student-Athletes do the same? After all, it's supposed to be about an education and building a solid base for a career be it in sports (playing, coaching) or in the rest of life. We need to stop romanticizing the notion that once a Letter of Intent is signed, everyone lives happy ever after...AND IT'S OK that kids transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been reviewing this thread and the listing that Raoul has posted (10 days old) showing the 155 transfers at that time with 47 from P5 schools. To me, there have been some good players transferring but no great players yet. I don't know enough about Anriel Howard's but as she didn't make any of the 14 players who were 1st or 2nd team All-SEC, I can only speculate she's good but not great as even coaches who played against her didn't vote her. So with that as a back drop here is the list from April 5th
Women’s Basketball Transfers: Spring/Summer 2018
I don't see an Erin Boley or Destiny Slocum type transfer year...YET! I do think some top talent has to transfer but that is not the point, my point is -Who are the best players on this list?
It very well may be Chloe Jackson from LSU. Anriel Howard is pretty good and I am unsure on Danni Williams true skills. Thoughts?
Danni Williams and Anriel Howard are not of the caliber of Boley and Slocum who were top 10 kinds in thier respective class. The appeal of both players is the ability to play immediately-unlike the other transfers. I'm not sure UCONN would be in the market if they were regular transfers.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Re: Syd zambrotta the kid just wants to get on the court. She was brought on as a role player. She knew that. She played that role well. She’s been a part of an ACC Championship, been to a F4, now she wants to play more. I’ve got no beef with that. I am sad to see her go, but can’t blame her or a coaching staff for a kid deciding she wants a program with an expanded role.
She’s been a great teammate, a hard worker and I don’t know anyone who hasn’t wished her the best.

Reaction Score
5-9 sr G Madinah Muhammad is grad transferring from Mississippi

6-0 R-sr G Sierra Calhoun is also grad transferring from Ohio State

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

That's the last of Ohio State's 2017-2018 starting lineup.

Only player now returning with significant playing expereince is Makayla Waterman.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
5-9 sr G Madinah Muhammad is grad transferring from Mississippi

How good was she while at OSU?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads