Transfer Portal | Page 66 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He has some Justin Lewis in him. I could see him making waves by 23-24, if, he can get his body and his three together.

Reaction Score
Not everything needs to be evaluated vis-a-vis Jim Calhoun, who was one of the top five, ever. One can still be a very good coach without coming close to his accomplishments.

I'm just embarrassed for our fanbase at how clownish the constant belittling of Cooley and Providence makes us look.

Maybe we should make some more t-shirts to commemorate our dominance over them. That turned out well.
Exactly, he's one of the best ever and he never won the Naismith Coach of the Year award once. That's how much those awards have to do with being a great coach.

And nothing I'm saying is clownish. I'm being objective. In the 4 years prior to this year, Providence lost to Rhode Island twice, UMass twice, Penn, College of Charlston, Long Beach State. Great coaches do not consistenly lose to teams like that once they have established their program, and this board would be at Defcon 1 if Hurley had 1 or 2 of those losses.

This board thinks Hurley is terrible because NMST played their A++ game against us and we barely lost. Cooley lost an NCAA game in which they had a 17 point 2nd half lead. Again, this board if that happened....

I'm not some hater. I don't think Providence's title has some asterisk or anything like that. They earned it and deserve to be champs. But they won by catching lightning in a bottle with their roster construction, and getting some amazingly clutch plays, not by Cooley outcoaching people.

Someone else in this thread said he's a solid coach. That's about right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I thought this was interesting:
4BA4C6CE-A773-4B84-98C1-B62E4E230BFF.jpeg

I’m not sure how they come up with the ranking number.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The person that comes up with a spliffy translator is going to make a ton of money.

You know, I’ve never looked at a spiffy post and thought to myself I wish I had a translator so I could understand this more completely. Pretty much, my thought process is “yeah, I’m not reading that.”

Reaction Score
Are you sure JC didn't win it in 1990?
He did not, which is surprising because years like 1990 are exactly how you win those awards. He was AP Coach of the Year in 1990.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You know, I’ve never looked at a spiffy post and thought to myself I wish I had a translator so I could understand this more completely. Pretty much, my thought process is “yeah, I’m not reading that.”
Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive.

Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting:
View attachment 75926

I’m not sure how they come up with the ranking number.
Yeah for the most part I've found the rankings pretty useful but there's some pretty strange ones. Haven't been able to figure out why Newton is so low and then a guy like Dwon Odom who I've watched 20 times and seen nothing impressive is a top 20 5* transfer

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Exactly, he's one of the best ever and he never won the Naismith Coach of the Year award once. That's how much those awards have to do with being a great coach.

And nothing I'm saying is clownish. I'm being objective. In the 4 years prior to this year, Providence lost to Rhode Island twice, UMass twice, Penn, College of Charlston, Long Beach State. Great coaches do not consistenly lose to teams like that once they have established their program, and this board would be at Defcon 1 if Hurley had 1 or 2 of those losses.

This board thinks Hurley is terrible because NMST played their A++ game against us and we barely lost. Cooley lost an NCAA game in which they had a 17 point 2nd half lead. Again, this board if that happened....

I'm not some hater. I don't think Providence's title has some asterisk or anything like that. They earned it and deserve to be champs. But they won by catching lightning in a bottle with their roster construction, and getting some amazingly clutch plays, not by Cooley outcoaching people.

Someone else in this thread said he's a solid coach. That's about right.
That's totally fair; I misread your earlier post as saying "he's not very good" instead of "he's good but not very good," which I now see was the context you intended.

There are so many Providence haters here that I mistakenly inferred that in your post. My apologies.

I mean, the same clowns who are downvoting me for saying it's unfair to compare Cooley to Calhoun are also among the first to cry foul when people suggest that Hurley doesn't measure up well compared to Calhoun.

I also didn't mean to suggest that one had to win the Naismith Coach of the Year in order to be a good coach; but I do think you have at least be a good coach in order to win it (and Big East Coach of the Year).

Reaction Score
Yeah for the most part I've found the rankings pretty useful but there's some pretty strange ones. Haven't been able to figure out why Newton is so low and then a guy like Dwon Odom who I've watched 20 times and seen nothing impressive is a top 20 5* transfer
Team quality through plus/minus and recruit rankings play into it. I think sometimes team quality may have too large an impact.

You're just never going to have a high plus/minus when the other 4 players on your team are terrible.

Reaction Score
That's totally fair; I misread your earlier post as saying "he's not very good" instead of "he's good but not very good," which I now see was the context you intended.

There are so many Providence haters here that I mistakenly inferred that in your post. My apologies.

I mean, the same clowns who are downvoting me for saying it's unfair to compare Cooley to Calhoun are also among the first to cry foul when people suggest that Hurley doesn't measure up well compared to Calhoun.

I also didn't mean to suggest that one had to win the Naismith Coach of the Year in order to be a good coach; but I do think you have at least be a good coach in order to win it (and Big East Coach of the Year).
I am in fact a clown, but my dislike was not for the Cooley/Calhoun comment. Just the idea that making fun of PC is beneath us, it's always fun to belittle and make fun of a rival

Reaction Score
I think that from looking at this that the model seems to take into account team success when you are on the floor and does a poor job of separating players, for reference these rankings had the top 4 players in the big east all on villanova and 7 of the top 15 in the conference.....This isnt to say that the rankings are "bad" i just think it overshows team success as compared to individuals. UConn with gaffney on the floor was better than ECU with Newton but I think that where they switch places this metric would not bear out

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am in fact a clown, but my dislike was not for the Cooley/Calhoun comment. Just the idea that making fun of PC is beneath us, it's always fun to belittle and make fun of a rival
I'm all for making fun of a rival. But the puffing of our chests and attempted smackdowns of Providence look pretty silly rn imo because they beat us and had a demonstrably better season, and their coach has done better than ours.

Reaction Score
We also have 1st team Big East, KAJ Finalist Adama Sanogo returning to pair with those transfers. What we were missing last year was a PG that could break a guy down off the dribble/score at all three levels. Newton gives us that and it will open up things for Adama, AJax and Hawk.
I think you'll learn pretty quickly that RJ Cole was a blessing for last year's team. He was a phenomenal player that should've been in POY consideration. And he masked a LOT of your offensive deficiencies by breaking guys down off the dribble and scoring at all three levels. So.... I'm not sure where you're coming up with the fact that you were missing the same type of player that he was.

Reaction Score
I'm all for making fun of a rival. But the puffing of our chests and attempted smackdowns of Providence look pretty silly rn imo because they beat us and had a demonstrably better season, and their coach has done better than ours.
Then it sounds like you aren't into making fun of a rival

Reaction Score
Yeah they had a great season and Cooley has done a pretty good job there. I just don't think that takes away from the fact that expectations are different at UConn and all those pining for Cooley now would be severely disappointed if he had the same resume and was our coach

Reaction Score
I think you'll learn pretty quickly that RJ Cole was a blessing for last year's team. He was a phenomenal player that should've been in POY consideration. And he masked a LOT of your offensive deficiencies by breaking guys down off the dribble and scoring at all three levels. So.... I'm not sure where you're coming up with the fact that you were missing the same type of player that he was.
What are you talking about? Cole and Newton are completely different players. Cole did most of his scoring off a pick and rolls not taking guys off the dribble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom