Transfer Portal | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Does Hurley not value ball handling? Aside from RJ none of the kids he brought in could really handle the ball. Last year we pretty much had 1 ball handler. Unable to run the style of offense he wants which is predicated on dribble penetration. Seems like he values athleticism and toughness far more.

Good God almighty.

This actually made it out of someone’s head and into the world.

How?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good God almighty.

This actually made it out of someone’s head and into the world.

How?
Ikr?

I mean, who doesn’t value ball handling?

Reaction Score
Andre and Tristen Newton now following each other on Instagram. Don’t think that was the case a couple days ago but maybe someone can confirm.

That’s a good sign

Reaction Score
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if we get 2 of these top guards from the portal…how are we not instantly a top 20 team? Especially if Floyd and Karaban are the real deal. You give me a lineup of Newton/Transfer/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo..yeah, I like my chances vs anyone else in the country

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if we get 2 of these top guards from the portal…how are we not instantly a top 20 team? Especially if Floyd and Karaban are the real deal. You give me a lineup of Newton/Transfer/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo..yeah, I like my chances vs anyone else in the country
If it’s Newton and someone like Ramey, that should be a pre season top 15 lineup.

Reaction Score

I guess the PF position will still be a bit of a question mark. Not counting on Akok to step up, Karaban will still be a freshman...maybe Samson Johnson? Outside of that, it would be a great lineup.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think quite a few people would say the same about your posts over the last week or so

People like to think happy thoughts.

In this case, they’re idiotic to do so, but that is on them.

Me - “Not having a point guard is very bad.”

You - “OUTRAGE! THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN! PORTALPORTALPORTAL!”

So stupid.

Reaction Score
Newton vs. Tulane.
Yes, it’s Tulane, but I love what I see with this kid.
He played against UConn a couple years ago. As a freshman he dropped 25 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists on us, with Christian Vital (the best perimeter defender on that UConn team) guarding him from the tip. I just re-watched that game on YouTube earlier today. Really impressive player.

Reaction Score
People like to think happy thoughts.

In this case, they’re idiotic to do so, but that is on them.

Me - “Not having a point guard is very bad.”

You - “OUTRAGE! THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN! PORTALPORTALPORTAL!”

So stupid.
I understand where you’re coming from and whether it was scouting or development, definitely not a banner year for Hurley with PGs. But the result isn’t going to be zero sum like you’re implying.

Not having a PG is very bad, but they will get a PG and the chances are that the PG will be better than Diggins/Gaffney, at the very least for this upcoming season. So why not just wait to see what the PG depth ends up looking like?

It’s not how Hurley drew it up, and I’d like a long term building block at PG like we all thought Diggins would be, but I don’t think these transfers spell disaster for next season personally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, we had a scouting miss with one of our PGs and a development miss with the other (IMO). It’s objectively not good. But there‘s a chance with these two open spots that there just wouldn’t be with the low ceilings of the other two. The poor scouting and development actually makes this less risky because of what we’re (not) losing.

Reaction Score
I understand where you’re coming from and whether it was scouting or development, definitely not a banner year for Hurley with PGs. But the result isn’t going to be zero sum like you’re implying.

Not having a PG is very bad, but they will get a PG and the chances are that the PG will be better than Diggins/Gaffney, at the very least for this upcoming season. So why not just wait to see what the PG depth ends up looking like?

It’s not how Hurley drew it up, and I’d like a long term building block at PG like we all thought Diggins would be, but I don’t think these transfers spell disaster for next season personally.
This is pretty much how I feel about the whole situation. Recruiting is not an exact science. It’s tough to judge how a 16-17 year old kid will develop his skills over to the college game. These things happen, and It won’t be the first or last time it happens either. The good thing about the portal is that you can see how these kids have played at the D1 level already. I think that is a good thing

Reaction Score

Everyone also forgets that the recruiting class of diggins hawk and Samson was entirely done virtually. The first time he met Samson was in Werth. Here's the article from last year that notes this and the video below of said meeting.

So im not buying the narrative that this staff cant scout point guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits